• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Civil War Trailer #1 Debut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cap vs Black Panther:

CVWEHfuWwAAM0EN.jpg

So who made the shoddy homage to one of the greatest Cap covers ever?

captain-america-annual-8.jpg

Such a good cover. I remember I was so excited to see them together since I think the last time was in Secret Wars where Wolverine was a dick to him when they chose a leader.

Wolverine was in my good books until then.

guek

Banned
I've always felt that Wolverine had the edge over Cap in the comics, beating him 6/10 times in a matchup, whereas movie Cap would stomp movie Wolverine 10:0. Such a shame Wolverine is nothing but a brawler in the films.

I've always felt that Wolverine had the edge over Cap in the comics, beating him 6/10 times in a matchup, whereas movie Cap would stomp movie Wolverine 10:0. Such a shame Wolverine is nothing but a brawler in the films.
Speaking of movie Wolverine - It's funny how The Wolverine would have been much better as a film if it was a faithful adaptation of the Japan Saga.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Wolverine is smart in the movies.

He stabs himself to break his bonds, he lets Collossus toss him at a Sentinel in the Danger Room, he kicks that regenerating dude in the nads, plus he needs his wits to convince Magneto and Xavier to work together in Days of Future Past.

He's so much more than "just a brawler" in the movies.

Toxi

Banned
plus he needs his wits to convince Magneto and Xavier to work together in Days of Future Past.
Didn't he basically fail at this? Their alliance lasted about two seconds before Magneto tried to kill Mystique and then dropped a stadium on the White House.

Chariot

I think Cap isn't not that good in 1on1 against equals in general because he can't use some of his biggest traits: leadership and tactics. Neither his strength nor his shield make him really special, his leadership and spirit is.

Didn't he basically fail at this? Their alliance lasted about two seconds before Magneto tried to kill Mystique and then dropped a stadium on the White House.

those two are impossible in the movies anyways. he was pretty useful in getting xavier scared straight though. loved that scene between him and charles before he enters his mind and sees his older self (wow this sounds bananas). it was refreshing to have him be the mature one for once.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

He convinced Magneto that Mystique needed to be stopped and Xavier and him are going to need his help to do so. Magneto did comply, but he created his own agenda. Mags gonna Mags, what're you gonna do?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am not familiar with the comics though I do like all of the MCU movies so far--everyone seem to make such a big deal over Black Panther... is he really that powerful? Even compared to say.... Spider Man?

Chariot

I am not familiar with the comics though I do like all of the MCU movies so far--everyone seem to make such a big deal over Black Panther... is he really that powerful? Even compared to say.... Spider Man?
"Even". Black Panther is vastly more powerful. He is ruler of a country that is ahead in technology and has connections to his god and old artifacts. He has genius intelect (all kinds of intelligence) and an army.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
"Even". Black Panther is vastly more powerful. He is ruler of a country that is ahead in technology and has connections to his god and old artifacts. He has genius intelect (all kinds of intelligence) and an army.

But Spider-Man can do whatever a spider can, so there's that.

onipex

Tony's line is not "I thought we were good friends". I can't believe that you guys think these superheroes who work together, party together, and put their lives on the line for each other don't consider the other their friend. Are you just trolling or are you thick headed?

Like I'm sure there are people in the Army who aren't best friends and barely talk to each other, but work together on the battlefield and would still consider the other a friend.

My main gripe is that there is nothing really shown in the MCU that indicates that these guys have any type of relationship outside of the two Avengers movies. Outside of world ending events they seem to have little to do with each other. We could have at least got a couple of throw away lines about them training together or something.

Also, I don't feel sorry for Tony or even feel that any real type of relationship is being lost in this movie. Steve should choose Bucky over Tony, because its well established that Steve and Buck are long time friends and he is not that close with Tony.

You can choose to imagine a stronger relationship if you want to. I would rather have Marvel treat the connected universe with more care.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
My main gripe is that there is nothing really shown in the MCU that indicates that these guys have any type of relationship outside of the two Avengers movies. Outside of world ending events they seem to have little to do with each other. We could have at least got a couple of throw away lines about them training together or something.

Also, I don't feel sorry for Tony or even feel that any real type of relationship is being lost in this movie. Steve should choose Bucky over Tony, because its well established that Steve and Buck are long time friends and he is not that close with Tony.

You can choose to imagine a stronger relationship if you want to. I would rather have Marvel treat the connected universe with more care.

They ate shawarma together. That's bro-bonding right there. You don't share a meal of shawarma with a vague acquaintance....

I haven't seen anyone post this yet, so here's some speculation you might enjoy. I think they should kill Black Widow towards the end of the film, and here is why:

1. It would be a BALLSY move. Black Widow is the female face of the MCU. The lineup is growing, though, so killing off their top female character wouldn't be a huge strike against hero diversity.

2. It would be unexpected, and generally speaking I think audiences would be heartbroken (I know I would be).

3. It would be the most personal way to get IM and Cap to stop fighting, especially if Black Widow sacrificed herself to prevent one or both of them from getting hurt/killed or killing someone else.

4. If Hulk is going off-world for Thor 3, when he finds out Black Widow has been killed due to the negligence of IM/Cap, he can come back to Earth World War Hulk style, perhaps as a minion of Thanos for Infinity War

SpaceWolf

Banned
I don't think killing anyone at this stage would be a ballsy move considering they could just be resurrected during the events of Infinity War. Especially such a relatively unpopular character such as Black Widow.

Killing a woman to advance male characters. Never seen that one before.

Also this.

Chariot

I haven't seen anyone post this yet, so here's some speculation you might enjoy. I think they should kill Black Widow towards the end of the film, and here is why:

1. It would be a BALLSY move. Black Widow is the female face of the MCU. The lineup is growing, though, so killing off their top female character wouldn't be a huge strike against hero diversity.

2. It would be unexpected, and generally speaking I think audiences would be heartbroken (I know I would be).

3. It would be the most personal way to get IM and Cap to stop fighting, especially if Black Widow sacrificed herself to prevent one or both of them from getting hurt/killed or killing someone else.

4. If Hulk is going off-world for Thor 3, when he finds out Black Widow has been killed due to the negligence of IM/Cap, he can come back to Earth World War Hulk style, perhaps as a minion of Thanos for Infinity War
Killing a woman to advance male characters. Never seen that one before.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Because after the meltdown we had over Black Widow's misinterpreted line about monsters, what the feminists would REALLY love is to kill the 50% of the strong females established in the MCU.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Ok, I thought about more then one User.
And yeah, compared to the front faces like Cap or Iron Man or Hulk, she is not that popular.

Would still be a stupid idea to kill her of:

I know plenty of 13 yr olds who are seeing the movie because of her.

Mainly boys.

And the designer of that Ant-Man poster.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Relatively unpopular, guys. As in, not as popular relative to all the other A-List characters that can be found in these movies. Do you seriously think most people would get teary eyed over the death of Black Widow, a stone-cold assassin who's always been something of an enigma in every film she's appeared in? I mean, she's a fun character but let's not pretend she has any kind of die-hard following who would start weeping if she was knocked off.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Yeah, and there are millions of people who go in Avengers movies because they want to see Iron Man and Captain America.

OK, that makes her automatic on par in terms of popularity with Iron Man and Captain America.

Well, I didn't see a poster with Ant-Man on Cap's crotch

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I dont even dont like Black Windows, I like her actually very much, its just completly illusional to think that there are so many people in Marvel movies that she is a audience drawer.

Scarlett is clearly a draw, judging by her non-Marvel Rated R action movie doing ridiculous numbers based almost entirely on her

Hell, the main reason they didn't do a Black Widow movie is because Guardians became a thing, they had to pick

Kill off Spiderman. THAT should get a reaction out of people.

And then Martin Freeman takes the mantle!

Good grief no; there's only two female Avengers from a line-up of 8 (12 if we include Bucky, Falcon, War Machine, Ant-Man, maybe others I've forgotten?) and killing one of them off to manipulate emotions in male characters would be a cheap, sexist, bullshit move. Probably the only other female characters joining the cast are Wasp and Captain Marvel, and we're at least a couple of years from either of those two getting a shot in the spotlight.

Good grief no; there's only two female Avengers from a line-up of 8 (12 if we include Bucky, Falcon, War Machine, Ant-Man, maybe others I've forgotten?) and killing one of them off to manipulate emotions in male characters would be a cheap, sexist, bullshit move. Probably the only other female characters joining the cast are Wasp and Captain Marvel, and we're at least a couple of years from either of those two getting a shot in the spotlight.

That's why it would be ballsy, because people like you would spin it as sexist. It would be sexist if they chose NOT to kill her for the reasons you listed. Shackling plot over public outcry isn't how art works. Black Widow has been in individual IM and Cap movies and is the friend that both of them would share grief in losing. And Hulk being pissed, well, that's how World War Hulk started in the comics (albeit over the death of his wife).

That's why it would be ballsy, because people like you would spin it as sexist. It would be sexist if they chose NOT to kill her for the reasons you listed. Shackling plot over public outcry isn't how art works. Black Widow has been in individual IM and Cap movies and is the friend that both of them would share grief in losing. And Hulk being pissed, well, that's how World War Hulk started in the comics (albeit over the death of his wife).

It would be sexist to try and maintain more female Avengers?!

You're just making up a plot point and then saying the film is sexist if it doesn't do that. How about they kill off Nick Fury instead - would that not have the same effect? Are they racist if they don't do that?

It would be sexist to try and maintain more female Avengers?!

You're just making up a plot point and then saying the film is sexist if it doesn't do that. How about they kill off Nick Fury instead - would that not have the same effect? Are they racist if they don't do that?

It's not sexist if they don't kill her because that's not how they want the plot to go, it's sexist if they don't kill her just because she's a woman and people would flip out or because they don't want to lose female characters.

If they have another way to serve the story without killing her, that's fine. This is just speculation.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
assuming Martin Freeman is indeed who we hope he is

devilspants31.png

Can we get Mephisto in the Black Panther movie please?

"you cant imagine..."

"yes I can" lol

the comics did it first

latest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom