• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Civil War Trailer #1 Debut

Status
Not open for further replies.
He lives at the end of time and can watch any timeline he wants. You bound to have to come up with new ways to amuse yourself.
I suppose. I mean, Kang just tries to conquer everything.
Nah Immortus is a cool guy.
Always seemed shady to me. I mean, in Uncanny Avengers, they certainly didn't like dealing with him.
Edit: My mistakes will haunt me.
Hmmmmmmmmm......
Fox owns the rights to Kang due to his connection to the Fantastic Four.

Didn't he show up in Avengers first? Not that it matters

He's a relative of Reed Richards. His real name is Nate Richards. He's way over there.

Wait, this guy:
kang-20051029023634697-taskmaster-she-hulk-kang-the-conqueror-5-character-needed-in-the-marvel-cinematic-universe-jpeg-304866.jpg
Is this guy?

Varna

How? You want her classic costume? Because guaranteed that'd look far worse

Of course. It would look awful. I meant, she had a nice look during the film. She definitely had that urban witch look. By the end she just looks like some kind of super model. Her make-up was super noticeable, her hair was super fixed up, etc.

EDIT: I'm not really sure what they should have gone for. But she didn't look like the same character at all by the end.

"He’s not ready because so much will be produced with special effects.”

I hope this means that the eyes on the mask are animated.

lmao WHAT???

this is truly the apex of ridiculous attempts to have comic costumes translate to the real world, already the diciest of prospects.

lmao WHAT???

this is truly the apex of ridiculous attempts to have comic costumes translate to the real world, already the diciest of prospects.

Have you seen the Deadpool trailer?

My SO gave me a look after that showed in the theater.

I had to explain to her that there are two types of Marvel fans...

Pachimari

Of course. It would look awful. I meant, she had a nice look during the film. She definitely had that urban witch look. By the end she just looks like some kind of super model. Her make-up was super noticeable, her hair was super fixed up, etc.

EDIT: I'm not really sure what they should have gone for. But she didn't look like the same character at all by the end.
I totally agree with this. She didn't look the same by the end when she flies in with the new Avengers. And she still looks off in Civil War, at least in that gif.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Have you seen the Deadpool trailer?

My SO gave me a look after that showed in the theater.

I had to explain to her that there are two types of Marvel fans...
Fits better with Deadpool movies who are pure comedy than with the tone of Spider-Man, who always has a tone of seriousness.

CGI eyes are a terrible idea

a916

hype for Black Panther

Really like this poster
CUojJI8WwAA0nk1.jpg

Don't like this at all. Looks like they paused to take this picture. Or, more likely, they took two different photos and tried to position them closer than they should be. Also hate the armor crumpling up on Tony's head looks like paper.

Ithil

lmao WHAT???

A big part of Spidey's character is his facial expression in the mask. In the films, he has no facial expressions in costume because in real life, masks don't move around like that.

So why not try it? What's the harm? It might look cartoonish?
He's already dressed as a spider in red and blue tights.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
A big part of Spidey's character is his facial expression in the mask.
I am Spider-Man completist, but its cool to learn something new everyday.

And yes, its looks stupidly cartoonish when he is the only one who has animated eyes through his mask.

And yes, its looks stupidly cartoonish when he is the only one who has animated eyes through his mask.

He's not going to be. Fox is doing it for Deadpool now too. Seems the tech is there now

Ithil

Seriously? You're trying to claim he's never made a facial expression though the mask that isn't actually possible with a cloth mask with eye lenses in real life? Even just something as simple as narrowing his eyes is an example of this, or raising an eyebrow.
There's even a term for this.

And you don't even know what it looks like (it's not even confirmed to be what they were talking about), how can you announce it looks stupid?

diaspora

Spider-Man's art in his mainline series has been progressively moving away from expressiveness through the mask and moving it into his body language and... spoken language.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Seriously? You're trying to claim he's never made a facial expression though the mask that isn't actually possible with a cloth mask with eye lenses in real life? Even just something as simple as narrowing his eyes is an example of this, or raising an eyebrow.
There's even a term for this.
I never said that he never did. You claimed that its a big part of his character. Which is wrong.

And you don't even know what it looks like (it's not even confirmed to be what they were talking about), how can you announce it looks stupid?
Because it doesnt work in Live Action? Its supposed to be a mask that doesnt move. If you want it to make faces go watch cartoons, not a movie where he suddenly is the only one who looks like out of a cartoon, while every other costume looks like something that can actually exist.

Ithil

I never said that he never did. You claimed that its a big part of his character. Which is wrong.

Because it doesnt work in Live Action? Its supposed to be a mask that doesnt move. If you want it to make faces go watch cartoons, not a movie where he suddenly is the only one who looks like out of a cartoon, while every other costume looks like something that can actually exist.

It's never been done in live action, how can you know it doesn't work?

And I mean that it is a part of the artwork expressing his character. The mask should be static at all times, realistically, yet his facial expression under the mask has been reflected on the mask itself, usually by the eyes moving. It's the same reason Deadpool's mask moves in artwork even though it shouldn't.
There's a reason all the cartoon adaptations of Spider-Man have his mask move around like it was actually his face, even though him narrowing his eyes should not cause the eye lens to narrow too. Given his mask covers his entire face, it would look boring if 100% static (and lo and behold, in the live action films, it's boring, and they constantly find reason to take his mask off so the actor can have expressions). Same reason they show RDJ's face inside the Iron Man helmet.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yes in Cartoons. Where it makes sense. And it makes more sense that we have an inside view on Tony Stark iside the Iron Man, as when we have suddenly one single hero who can make stupid faces with his facemask. But hey, maybe Iron Man can then make stupid faces with his helmet of solid iron, too, I mean, it hasnt been done before, but why not?

What a luck that we have competent people at Marvel studios who know what to include and what to leave to comics and cartoons.

The Kree

Banned
Yes in Cartoons. Where it makes sense. And it makes more sense that we have an inside view on Tony Stark iside the Iron Man, as when we have suddenly one single hero who can make stupid faces with his facemask. But hey, maybe Iron Man can then make stupid faces with his helmet of solid iron, too, I mean, it hasnt been done before, but why not?

What a luck that we have competent people at Marvel studios who know what to include and what to leave to comics and cartoons.

Why can't it be done just because it might look cool? Wow, you're a party pooper.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

What makes no sense is how the inside view makes it look like he's in a space helmet, when in reality, the helmet fits tightly.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What makes no sense is how the inside view makes it look like he's in a space helmet, when in reality, the helmet fits tightly.
Stil makes more sense.

Why can't it be done just because it might look cool? Wow, you're a party pooper.
I think it looks stupid as hell.
Otherway asked, how do you know that it actually looks cool? Because it works in Cartoons and Comics? Completly different thing.

Yes I'm sure they will defer to the "completionists".
No, but you made the wrong point, that its a big part of his character.

The Kree

Banned
I don't know that it'll look cool. But I'd like them to try it because I think it could look cool. That's just my imagination talking.

diaspora

I agree.

Maybe I overacted a little bit because my head is once again filled with shiity things from my private life. Sorry.

I think the whole animated eyes thing is seen more in the cartoons and the all-ages/kids Spider-Man series like Marvel Adventures- though Ultimate was some weird shit. Honestly, I'd agree that having it in this film at least would look pretty bad.

jmood88

I don't see how it would look out of place or like a cartoon. Rorsach's animated mask looked great in Watchmen.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I also think that animated eyes on MCU Spider-Man would be kind of whack. Not because I'm against the idea of a moving mask, but because in this specific case it would look out of place to the point of make people wonder "how does he do that with his mask?". It would make Spider-Man feel more cartoonish than he's supposed to in the context of the MCU, like he's Mister Mxyzptlk or some shit lol. Especially when you have someone else using a mask with stationary white eyes in the same movie (Black Panther).

It's not a defining characteristic of the character considering how many longtime Spider-Man artists don't go for it, but I wouldn't be against it if they found a way to make it work in the context of the MCU. Still, I don't think it's necessary and by default I think it would feel distracting and just raise the eyebrows of the average moviegoer.

It works on movie Deadpool because the white parts of his mask eyes are way smaller. The effect ends up being the right amount of subtle and quirky because it's the expression that a "normal-sized" eye would make, and it's being used on someone who's more of a gag character.

TblCHOP.png
bqeTL6j.png

Compared to:

CXjkPMd.jpg
5CsmOTf.jpg
7vDkomN.jpg

Don't like this at all. Looks like they paused to take this picture. Or, more likely, they took two different photos and tried to position them closer than they should be. Also hate the armor crumpling up on Tony's head looks like paper.

see also: editing real-world photography with the magic of digital post-processing techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom