• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Marvel Official Trailer

oagboghi2

This guy's getting raked for giving Brie a smile but I have to admit it makes the movie more intriguing to me.

I don't need smiling all the time, but as she is now, she comes off as a humourless robot.

And of course this guy is getting shit for doing a little Photoshop. Feminists don't smile apparently

You all just don't understand why this movie is important. The faster we get this movie out of the way, the faster we get a Nextwave movie with the actual good female Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau.

Harlock

This guy's getting raked for giving Brie a smile but I have to admit it makes the movie more intriguing to me.

This is really amazing. Remind me Starbuck from the BSG 2003, the troo Captain Marvel.

Bg3iW75.jpg

cr0w

Old Member
Trailer is really boring. I don't necessarily think she needs to smile, but I've always felt like Larson has the personality of a particularly boring 2x4. She always seems bored or unimpressed with everything around her.

WaterAstro

Well, she's probably not smiling because her mind was wiped. She's smiling when she was walking to the plane with her partner.

kunonabi

Well, she's probably not smiling because her mind was wiped. She's smiling when she was walking to the plane with her partner.

Not to mention that huge, beaming smile she had in the car with Fury. This whole thing is such a non-issue. It's a Marvel movie she will smile and there will be quips and humor like there always is.

trailer is up to 31 million views surpassing the 1st WW trailer.

Last edited:

cr0w

Old Member

I'm not specifically referring to Captain Marvel, I mean in general whether it be at events or in movies themselves Larson seems like she'd rather be anywhere else. There are just some actors that I don't believe in any role and she's one of them.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
My only concern is the villain. Seems generic as all hell. ThanOs must have better minions than this.

Grinchy

Banned
I think the "smiling" thing is overblown. There are more emotions on the spectrum between cadaver and fully elated. The real complaint is that in the trailer she appears to only be displaying cadaver.

The smiling thing was just a fun twitter trolling thing, not the real crux of the complaint.

Duallusion

I don't dare to check what moronic "reasonings" are being given for giving him flak over these harmless photoshop edits - better keep my blood pressure nice and stready. I'm guessing she's going to be annoyingly championed by default by a certain group of people...

Kindda like overrated Black Panther - and Wonder Woman, to lesser extent. :p

Anyway, she was way too one-note-ish in the trailer but I'm sure there's more to her in the whole movie.

VAL0R

Banned
I watched Infinity War with my kids. I also have really bad circulation in my feet right now, causing my toes to look purple-ish. I asked my kids to look at my toes as I flicked them together, making a "snap" sound with a hidden hand. I explained that half of them would now disappear soon.

So she is Marvel Superman ? Hero so powerful her existence makes everyone else pointless ?
I don't remember a single instance in the comics where Carol has beaten the Hulk.
Here she is about to get BTFO out again.
fgbdfLr.jpg
This is probably my favorite Marvel ongoing right now. Or more accurately it's the only Marvel ongoing I even care about at all.

Teletraan1

Banned
Sad if the media and usual suspects go down the same road as they did with TLJ and Ghostbusters 2016 and cry sexism over every valid complaint. It was only a very small amount of complaints that were actually sexist but those comments got signal boosted.

This trailer was boring af. Brie Larson looks like she doesn't want to be there. I hope the movie is good but this trailer instills zero confidence that it will be.

Da-Kid

Um... this is a Marvel movie.. there will be smiles and jokes from characters. Why people are questioning that is beyond me. This is a teaser, have fucking mercy....

Weiji

Banned
I mean I assume she will smile in the movie. I feel like much of the trailer is focused on her being brainwashed, so that’s why she looks so emotionless?

If she actually acts like that during the movie moment to moment then obviously it will be a problem.

WaterAstro

So uh, I didn't know this movie will be set in the 90s before Iron Man 1. I totally missed all the hints, like Nick Fury has both eyes and Blockbuster being a thing.

I'm actually quite interested now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Um... this is a Marvel movie.. there will be smiles and jokes from characters. Why people are questioning that is beyond me. This is a teaser, have fucking mercy....

Because a woman is the lead of the movie. And when women don't smile, some dudes get upset.

WaterAstro

Now I feel like this movie will do a better job at promoting females than Wonder Woman since WW was pretty much babysat by Steve Trevor.

pel1300

So what is Captain Marvel's hook? The stand alone phase 2 and 3 heroes so far have had some hook that made people wanna go watch them.
For this movie, I'm just not seeing a hook that makes me wanna be there on opening night.

-She is half alien and has Superman's powers? She is the most powerful hero in the MCU?
-First female to headline an MCU movie? Is that the hook?

I'm just not feeling the hype...her power set sounds so bland and uninspired. Honestly the only things I'm excited for are:

1. Young Nick Fury
2. Young Agent Coulson
3. Ronan

Last edited:

WaterAstro

So what is Captain Marvel's hook? The stand alone phase 2 and 3 heroes so far have had some hook that made people wanna go watch them.
For this movie, I'm just not seeing a hook that makes me wanna be there on opening night.

-She is half alien and has Superman's powers? She is the most powerful hero in the MCU?
-First female to headline an MCU movie? Is that the hook?

I'm just not feeling the hype...her power set sounds so bland and uninspired. Honestly the only things I'm excited for are:

1. Young Nick Fury
2. Young Agent Coulson
3. Ronan
They're putting her as the most powerful in MCU, and she's not half alien. She just got he powers from the first Captain Marvel.
It's obvious that it's pushing female popularity. It's why Black Panther got huge hype.

The hook for me is that the Skrulls have been on Earth since the 90s. It wasn't interesting to me until I realized it was the 90s lol.

Last edited:

pel1300

They're putting her as the most powerful in MCU, and she's not half alien. She just got he powers from the first Captain Marvel.
It's obvious that it's pushing female popularity. It's why Black Panther got huge hype.

The hook for me is that the Skrulls have been on Earth since the 90s. It wasn't interesting to me until I realized it was the 90s lol.

I was gonna say the Skrulls are the hook for me....but I got the impression that their role in the film is minor. I hope they have a significant role that plays into Avengers 4.

mckmas8808

Blank Panther got the hype, because it's was the first BLACK PANTHER movie! Don't try to minimize or improperly state why it got huge hype.

mckmas8808

Manufactured hype. Movie was garbage.

Nope. Just your opinion. Luckily for me, most people tend to agree with my opinion on the movie. Hype wasn't manufactured at all. You just didn't like the movie and that's cool. We don't all have to like everything.

WaterAstro

Yeah that helped too. But I wouldn't call that "manufactured" hype. It was genuine hype.
Before Civil War, I doubt the masses knew who Black Panther was while the comic book community knew Black Panther like someone at the level of Batman in terms of intellect and power.

mckmas8808

Before Civil War, I doubt the masses knew who Black Panther was while the comic book community knew Black Panther like someone at the level of Batman in terms of intellect and power.

True! But once Civil War was in theaters, that changed everything. Sorta like Guardians of the Galaxy. So many kids and women love Groot, but who even knew what or who a Groot was before that first movie?

With all the talk of her being so powerful I hope they make use of it. Like I don't expect MCU to ever deliver MoS level superbeing action but I hope she at least gets to go head to head with a super powered opponent and not be relegated to waves of fodder Skrulls and then blow up some nebulous space monster.

Kadayi

Banned
Never read the comics, and aside from RBF and punching old ladies can anyone outline what her actual powers are exactly? Because the trailer didn't seem to indicate much. I'm intrigued to know what she can do and perhaps more pertinently WTF Nick Fury didn't call on her during the attack on New York and When Altron was doing his thing.

kunonabi

Never read the comics, and aside from RBF and punching old ladies can anyone outline what her actual powers are exactly? Because the trailer didn't seem to indicate much. I'm intrigued to know what she can do and perhaps more pertinently WTF Nick Fury didn't call on her during the attack on New York and When Altron was doing his thing.

Super strength, durability, etc., flight, ability to absorb energy and project it.

Ultron just wasnt a large enough threat to break out the big gun. No telling if she could have made it back in time anyway.

Top Bottom