• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Marvel Official Trailer

Kadayi

Banned
Ultron just wasnt a large enough threat to break out the big gun. No telling if she could have made it back in time anyway.

Unless there's some downside to it (like she's highly radioactive) that doesn't make a lot of sense though.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
I don't think they had plans for her till after age of ultron. Marvel didn't really do much with her character anyway in the comics. Scarlet witch and Wasp always played bigger roles in the comics on the avengers.

And everyone hated her in civil war 2

Last edited:
Unless there's some downside to it (like she's highly radioactive) that doesn't make a lot of sense though.

It probably was the travel time the other poster mentioned as the threats in both movies were very immediate but could potentially still be handled by the Avengers. Come Infinity War the Avengers were broken up, with some even missing or wanted criminals, so he hit the Bat signal once it was clear a major event was taking place.

Though obviously the real answer is they had no concrete plans for how they were going to integrate Captain Marvel yet. ;)

WaterAstro

Never read the comics, and aside from RBF and punching old ladies can anyone outline what her actual powers are exactly? Because the trailer didn't seem to indicate much. I'm intrigued to know what she can do and perhaps more pertinently WTF Nick Fury didn't call on her during the attack on New York and When Altron was doing his thing.
I think her power to absorb energy to make herself more powerful is the key power. She was probably not on Earth or something. It was probably something Nick Fury felt the Avengers couldn't handle or something when people were disappearing.

longdi

Banned
My only concern with Kevin comments that Ms Marvel will be the superman of MCU. And supes is OP as fuck.

I don't follow the comic power levels, but logically in MCU, at best she should sit above Hulk and below Thor.

Hopefully this won't be pandering to the SJW crowd of man dumb woman power.

WaterAstro

My only concern with Kevin comments that Ms Marvel will be the superman of MCU. And supes is OP as fuck.

I don't follow the comic power levels, but logically in MCU, at best she should sit above Hulk and below Thor.

In comics, and in my opinion, Dr Strange is top, Wanda is next, then Hulk, and then Captain Marvel.

Everyone knows Wanda can change reality. She's done it, but Dr Strange can actually do the same thing, and alter time, and so much other shit that he doesn't do because of his obligations to keep order. Hulk is considered infinitely more powerful because his potential is limitless and cannot die like Wolverine. He can be thrown into the sun and his body will adapt to survive it because his body regenerates real quickly. Also, he defeated all of Earth's superheroes in World War Hulk. Obviously, the MCU one is weaker.

I think they can easily position Captain Marvel above everyone. We don't know what she can do yet.

hecatomb

Banned
Doctor strange also has magic that can banish anyone to make them never come back, thats why marvel had to take away some of his powers in the comics, he could just beat anyone that fought him. It would be like if superman could just send anyone to the negative zone anytime he wanted.

quickwhips

Why does it seem when a girl is badass they have to point it out instead of make it about the bad guy she is going to fight? I’m still really excited for the movie. Just would like them to focus on the movie and not that it’s first girl super hero movie...talk about that part after it makes bank at box office.

TrainedRage

Banned
I just don t get it... How lazy are these people? Captain Marvel? The hell? Who thought of that name? I'm so pissed i'm not gonna watch the trailer. Not until DC comes out with the movie "Mr. DC Man"!

Edit: Im getting too old for this s***

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I think they're prepping for The
UltimatesTeamLineup.jpg
Ultimates

WaterAstro

I just don t get it... How lazy are these people? Captain Marvel? The hell? Who thought of that name? I'm so pissed i'm not gonna watch the trailer. Not until DC comes out with the movie "Mr. DC Man"!

Edit: Im getting too old for this s***
Maybe you'll be surprised to learn that DC actually has a character that is also named Captain Marvel.

Xiaoki

Maybe you'll be surprised to learn that DC actually has a character that is also named Captain Marvel.
No they dont.

Due to copyright law DC can not promote Shazam as being Captain Marvel.

However, per an agreement with DC Marvel must publish a Captain Marvel comic at least every other year.

Ulysses 31

No they dont.

However, per an agreement with DC Marvel must publish a Captain Marvel comic at least every other year.
Yes they do, In Batman Superman Public Enemies from 2009 Captain Marvel is mentioned by name by Superman.

Xiaoki

Yes they do, In Batman Superman Public Enemies from 2009 Captain Marvel is mentioned by name by Superman.
They can call him Captain Marvel in dialogue but they can not have a comic book or movie with the title of Captain Marvel.

Characters in Marvel comics have made references to Batman.
3842270-2746158790-tumbl.png

url

Last edited:

manfestival

Thor sat in a concentrated blast from a star and still used his muscles to accomplish his goal. Dude passed out and was a little charred. I feel like this might be one of the most underrated moments in all of the MCU.

longdi

Banned
Thor sat in a concentrated blast from a star and still used his muscles to accomplish his goal. Dude passed out and was a little charred. I feel like this might be one of the most underrated moments in all of the MCU.

I am glad MCU is slowly increasing the power gulf of Thor vs rest of the Avengers. Dude is a 1000 year old space Jesus, floats around in space without drying up.

Im taking his earlier fights between Hulk, Capt and Stark, he was holding back, like Goku vs Krillin in DBS.

Thus if Capt Marvel over powers him, that dont make MCU sense. Since her origins is like Hulk, sure with alien tech. Stinky human race cant even live past 100 years.

Last edited:

tkscz

No they dont.

Not how that works, or at least, there is more to it than that.

DC has the trademark for the name Captain Marvel. This allows them to use the name WITHIN any of the media they place him in (comics, cartoons, movies) without fear of being sued by Marvel, as long as they don't name the media he's in Captain Marvel. Example, in the upcoming SHAZAM movie, they can call the character Captain Marvel, but they can't call the movie Captain Marvel. Which is why he was still being called Captain Marvel in shows as recent as Young Justice, while Marvel was still using the name.

WaterAstro

I am glad MCU is slowly increasing the power gulf of Thor vs rest of the Avengers. Dude is a 1000 year old space Jesus, floats around in space without drying up.

Im taking his earlier fights between Hulk, Capt and Stark, he was holding back, like Goku vs Krillin in DBS.

Thus if Capt Marvel over powers him, that dont make MCU sense. Since her origins is like Hulk, sure with alien tech. Stinky human race cant even live past 100 years.
I guess Leia can be an Avenger!

It doesn't matter if they are Asgardian or Human, anyone can be super powerful. The Sentry is obviously the most powerful, and his origin was that he just did drugs to get powers.

Xiaoki

Not how that works, or at least, there is more to it than that.

DC has the trademark for the name Captain Marvel. This allows them to use the name WITHIN any of the media they place him in (comics, cartoons, movies) without fear of being sued by Marvel, as long as they don't name the media he's in Captain Marvel. Example, in the upcoming SHAZAM movie, they can call the character Captain Marvel, but they can't call the movie Captain Marvel. Which is why he was still being called Captain Marvel in shows as recent as Young Justice, while Marvel was still using the name.
Dear God

/facepalm

How about you look at my previous post with Daredevil.

DC Comics has no rights to the Captain Marvel name AT ALL. After the court case with Fawcett Comics in 1951 no one used the Captain Marvel name so the Captain Marvel trademark held by Fawcett Comics was abandoned which allowed Marvel to trademark the name in 1967. In 1972 DC Comics licensed the Fawcett Comics character of Captain Marvel but they had to call him Shazam. Marvel Comics owns the trademark but to keep they have to publish a Captain Marvel comic book every other year.

DC Comics can refer to their copyrighted character of Shazam as Captain Marvel in the same way Marvel Comics can refer to Daredevil as Red Batman. However, Marvel can not promote Daredevil as Red Batman or have a comic book titled Red Batman but in the dialogue of a comic or movie they can refer to Daredevil as Red Batman.

You know this stuff isnt hard to find. Two minutes on Google will lead you to all of the relevant information.

tkscz

Dear God

/facepalm

How about you look at my previous post with Daredevil.

DC Comics has no rights to the Captain Marvel name AT ALL. After the court case with Fawcett Comics in 1951 no one used the Captain Marvel name so the Captain Marvel trademark held by Fawcett Comics was abandoned which allowed Marvel to trademark the name in 1967. In 1972 DC Comics licensed the Fawcett Comics character of Captain Marvel but they had to call him Shazam. Marvel Comics owns the trademark but to keep they have to publish a Captain Marvel comic book every other year.

DC Comics can refer to their copyrighted character of Shazam as Captain Marvel in the same way Marvel Comics can refer to Daredevil as Red Batman. However, Marvel can not promote Daredevil as Red Batman or have a comic book titled Red Batman but in the dialogue of a comic or movie they can refer to Daredevil as Red Batman.

You know this stuff isnt hard to find. Two minutes on Google will lead you to all of the relevant information.

You don't have to be an ass and you just said what I did. I didn't say they could promote it, I said they can use the name within the comic or a cartoon but the comic cannot be named Captain Marvel. I did look it up, and that's what I found. Calm your shit dude.

When DC bought Fawcett, they got the trademark to Captain Marvel. This means Marvel's Captain Marvel can't look anything like DC's as the infringes on the logo of their Captain Marvel. While DC can't name any media Captain Marvel, as that would infringe on Marvels literary copywrite. All I said was either or can use the name in a media. Never said anything about promoting.

Last edited:

Xiaoki

You don't have to be an ass and you just said what I did. I didn't say they could promote it, I said they can use the name within the comic or a cartoon but the comic cannot be named Captain Marvel. I did look it up, and that's what I found. Calm your shit dude.

When DC bought Fawcett, they got the trademark to Captain Marvel. This means Marvel's Captain Marvel can't look anything like DC's as the infringes on the logo of their Captain Marvel. While DC can't name any media Captain Marvel, as that would infringe on Marvels literary copywrite. All I said was either or can use the name in a media. Never said anything about promoting.
Well, obviously your Google Fu is very poor.

When DC Comics licensed the Captain Marvel character from Fawcett Comics in 1978 they could not call him Captain Marvel because the trademark for the name was held by Marvel Comics so they had to call him and the comic book Shazam. However, this license agreement with Fawcett was on a per use basis, meaning that every time DC used Shazam they had to pay money to Fawcett. It wasnt until 1991 that they bought the Shazam character and all of Fawcett's properties fully.

Im only going to say this one last time - DC Comics does not have a trademark on the Captain Marvel name and they NEVER have. So, please stop willfully spreading misinformation.

tkscz

Well, obviously your Google Fu is very poor.

When DC Comics licensed the Captain Marvel character from Fawcett Comics in 1978 they could not call him Captain Marvel because the trademark for the name was held by Marvel Comics so they had to call him and the comic book Shazam. However, this license agreement with Fawcett was on a per use basis, meaning that every time DC used Shazam they had to pay money to Fawcett. It wasnt until 1991 that they bought the Shazam character and all of Fawcett's properties fully.

Im only going to say this one last time - DC Comics does not have a trademark on the Captain Marvel name and they NEVER have. So, please stop willfully spreading misinformation.

You're right, they don't, maybe I shouldn't use Gizmodo has a source.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I guess Leia can be an Avenger!

It doesn't matter if they are Asgardian or Human, anyone can be super powerful. The Sentry is obviously the most powerful, and his origin was that he just did drugs to get powers.

The Blue Marvel is the most powerful in Marvel comics, afaik. He shrugged off Sentry's punches...

I still hold the idea that The Ultimates is coming to the MCU.

hecatomb

Banned
If you want to talk about the most powerful characters in marvel, molecule man, Franklin richards, Beyonders, Chaos King, mad jim jaspers, nate grey, are up at the top. These characters can just destroy more then 1 universe if they wanted to.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

The Blue Marvel is the most powerful in Marvel comics, afaik. He shrugged off Sentry's punches...

I still hold the idea that The Ultimates is coming to the MCU.
Eh, power levels keep changing, but Sentry wiped out the memeories of everyone on Earth. I should say one of the most powerful because Franklin Richards is the most powerful given that he can create and manipulate universes at will.

tkscz

lol, that's ridiculous.
Current most powerful person in the MCU is Scarlett Witch. She bent time and space so that EVERYONE was happy and none of their tragedies took place (uncle Ben never got shot, Punisher's family didn't die, ect ect...). House of M was a weird story, but Scarlett Witch is WAY up there in power scale.

manfestival

Let us not get carried away. The MCU is still different from the Comicverse. We can talk all day about power levels and who is OP and whatnot in the comicverse. This is still about the MCU which many characters do not exist yet.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Truthfully, this movie has a lot to offer, especially given the current state of affairs. Not only recently but always have I enjoyed female superheroes, and I very much think there is great promise ahead for Captain Marvel. So excited!

In comics, and in my opinion, Dr Strange is top, Wanda is next, then Hulk, and then Captain Marvel.

Everyone knows Wanda can change reality. She's done it, but Dr Strange can actually do the same thing, and alter time, and so much other shit that he doesn't do because of his obligations to keep order. Hulk is considered infinitely more powerful because his potential is limitless and cannot die like Wolverine. He can be thrown into the sun and his body will adapt to survive it because his body regenerates real quickly. Also, he defeated all of Earth's superheroes in World War Hulk. Obviously, the MCU one is weaker.

I think they can easily position Captain Marvel above everyone. We don't know what she can do yet.

Maybe I'm misremembering but I think they said she was or would be the strongest Avenger. Problem is Thor after power up basically owned Thanos blocking a blast from the full gauntlet. If she's more powerful in any significant way, can't see Thanos posing much of a threat, nor the rest of the avengers contributing much.

LordPezix

I think after Thanos I will be pretty tired of MCU.

IMO I feel MCU is building up the same problem as DBZ. You can only rehash the power levels so many times before you just lose interest.

*bad guy shows up, we need more power! Defeat bad guy. BIGGER BAD GUY SHOWS UP!*

hecatomb

Banned

IMO I feel MCU is building up the same problem as DBZ. You can only rehash the power levels so many times before you just lose interest.

*bad guy shows up, we need more power! Defeat bad guy. BIGGER BAD GUY SHOWS UP!*
Not every villain in marvel can be fought the same way, not every villain uses just power to defeat everyone. Example is Doctor Doom, he plans things out ahead of time to defeat people. He also doesn't always use force if he has to. Then you have someone like Kingpin, who hires people to go after heroes so he doesn't get caught. Also he has a ton of money, so he can just get out of jail. There are plenty of other villains that are not like Thanos

WaterAstro

Civil War, Spiderman, and Black Panther didn't have powerful bad guys.

But there are also avengers movies and they have to unite to fight a bigger threat.

Sure there could be smaller threats, but bringing ever bigger geniuses, and ever more powerful characters on the heroes side, how can we realistically expect anyone to pose a threat, if they don't up the power level?

Last edited:

WaterAstro

But there are also avengers movies and they have to unite to fight a bigger threat.

Sure there could be smaller threats, but bringing ever bigger geniuses, and ever more powerful characters on the heroes side, how can we realistically expect anyone to pose a threat, if they don't up the power level?
I pretty much consider Civil War an Avengers movie, and that movie, the Avengers lost.

It doesn't take a powerful being to beat the Avengers.

Last edited:

LordPezix

Not every villain in marvel can be fought the same way, not every villain uses just power to defeat everyone. Example is Doctor Doom, he plans things out ahead of time to defeat people. He also doesn't always use force if he has to. Then you have someone like Kingpin, who hires people to go after heroes so he doesn't get caught. Also he has a ton of money, so he can just get out of jail. There are plenty of other villains that are not like Thanos

True but lets be real. This is Hollywood, the bigger the better is how they think. I mean after they introduce Captain Marvel, even possibly Blue Marvel, who is even going to consider Doctor Doom and or Kingpin as the villain in a main line up? The best we would probably see of them is in some league of bad guys, kind of like the Dark Knight.

I am saying this because every Marvel character now has an upgraded version of themselves ready to take on the bigger badder guy. I don't even think with Stormbreaker, Thor has maxed his power level on screen yet. I mean the dude took a fucking star to the face and was like "GG 2 EZ".....

Never saw Spiderman, but honestly I feel like Civil War was just a cash cow because OP, here we are, Avengers doin it again. Black Panther was an origin story, not what I would consider part of the power play we see with Avengers.

After Thanos what do we have Galactus? Then Darkseid....

If I may quote one of the wisest men in the entire universe "There's always a bigger fish.".

Hopefully they stop after Avengers 4 and move onto something else, and it better not be the ultimates.

hecatomb

Banned
After Thanos, theres really no telling what is going to happen. Theres rumors that many of the actors want to retire. So they might have to reboot the avengers. They still have Annihilus, Doom, Graviton, kang the conqueror, Beyonders, are just a few characters they could use.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
New trailer just released today, somebody should post.

I was thinking as powerful as Captain Marvel is she is still no match for Thanos. I wonder who really is going to end up saving the team.

sol_bad

New trailer just released today, somebody should post.

I was thinking as powerful as Captain Marvel is she is still no match for Thanos. I wonder who really is going to end up saving the team.

Do you mean a 2 minute trailer or a 30 second TV advert?

dirthead

Banned
Looks like a fucking cartoon. It's so bad.

Why can't people make real movies anymore?

Please?

Someone make a real movie?

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
There’s nothing they can do to make this story look interesting. That actress sucks

MDSLKTR

Looks so bland...Everything after Aquaman does really. I will catch IW2 not knowing where that character is from I guess.

Top Bottom