• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Review Thread

Mory Dunz

Not sure why the price thing is even a discussion.

It has some assets from 3D World.
...so?
It's a different game that plays differently. I don't really see why that matters. Not even really the same genre.

How many full priced games reuse assets?
How much do FIFA and Madden cost?

Heck, how much does each FIFA Legacy cost?
From my understanding, all it does is update player stat overalls. I'm not sure it adds stadiums or teams, but it might.

Razzorn34

...so?
It's a different game that plays differently. I don't really see why that matters. Not even really the same genre.

From my understanding, all it does is update player stat overalls. I'm not sure it adds stadiums or teams, but it might.

Because people want things to complain about, apparently. Kinda like that Bayonetta 2 thread going around.

I don't think I've ever been disappointed in the amount of content in a game from Nintendo. I don't think that will start now either. I've had games from others that I definitely felt shouldn't have been $60 bucks though. It sounds like $40 will be great for this.

emb

I would have paid full price for Pushmo.

So yeah, I'm in on this.
I still hope I get to pay full price for Pushmo someday. Slap it in a Wii U box, and I'd be so in. Super mega bonus points if they put all (2? 3?) games together though.

Micken

Banned
Man, I'm super on the fence about this... It looks awesome, but $40 is pretty steep, and it's single player, meaning my family will moan about not getting any games they can play... I do want that sweet DDP money though...

What do you think, GAF? Buy or no buy?

Who am I kidding, you're all going to tell me to buy. :p

Yay! It's getting good reviews.

Maybe it's short but I like the characters and the world so much. And it looks like so much fun. I'm sure I'll find a way to play it a lot.
I've played Super Mario Galaxy lots of times and had lots of fun.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Probably because there are games of comparative available as $10-$20 DL games on the digital marketplaces. Frankly, a $40 puzzle game is a tough sell for a lot of people.
I don't think CT:TT is aiming at the general populace to boot. As regarding the puzzle audience, we shall see. I paid a premium importing Zack&Wiki before it was available in NA, and later on got the NA version as well. I've spent upward of $120 on that game, not counting copies I've bought for gifts. Full-fledged, quality puzzle games are not something common, and the audience is perfectly aware of that.

If you like read the previous page (50 post rule), there's a very detailed explanation for the pricing point of view.

Notice this is a recuring theme with some Nintendo releases in today's market. Wario Wii U ($50 release), NES Remix 1/2 ($15), WW HD ($50), Wii Sports ($40 for the entire set).

Most people with Nintendo bias doesn't seem to have any problem paying $40 for Captain Toad, probably even 60 acording to the Pushmo for full price gentleman back there XD... And you know what? This is fine.

On the other hand people with a more eclectic diet, or maybe more price sensitive see the other market offers and compare. From this point of view, the asking price in this case is a barrier that prevents them from accessing the game.

It has been said in various occasions, it is comprehensible for Nintendo to preserve their brand value. But asking for seemingly high prices for your product is not always a wise way to do it. That 50 for Wario Ware at launch is an example.

They can still achieve this by avoiding price reductions (which they do) yet pricing the software more in accordance to market conditions. Yes, charge a premium also but not double or even more. That's a bit extreme in some cases. But price consistency i think is the key, to not get the consumer in the habit of waiting for the devaluation of your product.

i don't think is outrageous to question the price for this release. im in a bit of a dilemma really:

i know i 'll like this game a lot so buying it is under heavy consideration. On the other hand i do wonder if, as a consumer, it would be responsible of me to send the message to NIntendo that i agree with the price point.

AniHawk

Probably because there are games of comparative available as $10-$20 DL games on the digital marketplaces. Frankly, a $40 puzzle game is a tough sell for a lot of people.

that's kind of a problem with the current model. the value of a good game shouldn't be dependent on the genre but the game's quality.

that's kind of a problem with the current model. the value of a good game shouldn't be dependent on the genre but the game's quality.

Yeah, and now even platformers are falling under genres that people think are worth less. I don't know if that's due to the huge amount of puzzle/platformer indie games that pop up for less (even though lots are great and I'd probably pay around 40$ for if tweaked a bit) and that made people used to paying less for these genres or if it's just that they're not really the popular genres anymore.

...so?

Who said Fifa rehashes are any better? Bad practices are okay now because of EA? What?

Exile20

Who said Fifa rehashes are any better? Bad practices are okay now because of EA? What?

Dude come on now, look at the situation.
There is no third party support so they need to fill in the gaps. It is not bad practice as much as trying to fill in the calendar. Atleast it is not the same as SM3DW. We can't have games coming out every month and still want games to be cooking for 2 -3years.

We have to look at the situation.

Mory Dunz

Not saying it's okay. But price and reused assets should factor into every review if it is here.

I guess for FIFA it'd be:
Pepe (or whoever else)'s likeness still looks the same from 3 years ago despite having had an Afro for over a year. That'd be a smaller complaint though.

Personally I don't think it should factor heavily since value can be subjective, especially for difference genres, and if the game plays differently than the game it's reusing from.

This is of course true. However...

Good and high quality puzzle games are not coming from Nintendo exclusively (or it's platforms) these days. i would go as far as saying that these also applies to the "low/mid tier" highly original/inventive or out of the norm games, which are coming in droves from other places at a lower prices also.

The problem with this discusion and the price complain is that it has degenerated into various tangents:

1- The game price is too high because of the amount of content or completition time is too low.

2- The game price is too high because "LOL PUZZLERS".

3- The game price is too high when we compare either similar offers in the market or projects with the same "ambition scale" (apologize right now it doesn't occur to me how articulate this). Or things that aim more for originality and a change of pace.

It's kind of sad to have people trying to rest merit to the price criticism because of the first 2. Which in my case im not too found of the first 2, specially not 1.

I still hope I get to pay full price for Pushmo someday. Slap it in a Wii U box, and I'd be so in. Super mega bonus points if they put all (2? 3?) games together though.

TM_WiiUDS_PullbloxWorld.png

Sigh, for some reason the game got out of stock and apparently I got affected by that even though I had the game on pre-order from amazon. Now, I'll have to wait till they get their second batch, fucking bullshit *facepalm*. I thought nobody wanted to buy this game lol.

Top Bottom