• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capture the WORST screenshots of otherwise gorgeous games!

MDSLKTR

I've seen better posters in duke nukem
A0KLAq0.jpg

Cerberus is that yui

I know that dog looks dumb as hell but I just can't understand how someone animated that, saw the clipping ears, and then proceeded to call the character done. Then other people reviewed that character in various stages and gave their approval. How is that possible?

I'm guessing the white tips of the ears were supposed to be transparent. Also, S-E has clearly put their best people on FFXIV ARR, as that's supposed to be the money maker.

redgaffer

Neo Member
From the new FFVIII update. Cid's seen better days. Best part is that he was better rendered just a short while ago. And then to this.

9j648fP.png

Another example:

lD4Ygea.png

Revenile

From the new FFVIII update. Cid's seen better days. Best part is that he was better rendered just a short while ago. And then to this.

9j648fP.png

Another example:

lD4Ygea.png

I know it doesn't change the fact he looks bad, but there is actually a reason for it. Cid (and the second example) has the people as part of the background, probably to save resources when the game was on the PS1.

JD_Lars

9j648fP.png

Another example:

lD4Ygea.png

Now he looks like a character from Super Brothers: Sword and Sorcery EP, which isn't a bad thing, except when it isn't supposed to be that way.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I know it doesn't change the fact he looks bad, but there is actually a reason for it. Cid (and the second example) has the people as part of the background, probably to save resources when the game was on the PS1.

No, you misunderstand: Cid was rendered even in FF8 PSX during the SeeD coming back from the exam bit.

I can't recall the succession of the sorceress bit, but I think they weren't rendered like Cid.

No, you misunderstand: Cid was rendered even in FF8 PSX during the SeeD coming back from the exam bit.

I can't recall the succession of the sorceress bit, but I think they weren't rendered like Cid.

The technique WAS used to save resources on the PS1. Any time a person could be put in a single pose and not needed to be animated they would use this technique. Especially if they knew a scene was going to have a lot of models on it. On the PS1's ultra low resolution you would have a hard time telling the difference.

This is a favorite technique Square used at the time... they did so for lots of other games to (Chrono Cross for example).

Any time they could, they used the real models since those, of course, could be animated.

redgaffer

Neo Member

Yeah, I know. There's some moments like this when the updated models (which look pretty good) really clash with the unupdated sprites.

Top Bottom