• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captured on PS5 Official Images Only

bargeparty

I'm really liking the visual style for Kena: Bridge of Spirits.
49996107876_03c495a516_k.jpg

The funny thing that screenshot doesn't even do that scene justice. It's so so much better in motion.

Honestly I don't think we can compare HellBlade 2 to Horizon Zero Dawn yet. After reading through Eurogamers tech analysis it appears that it was more of a tech demo than anything else. For one it's rendering 60% of the pixels of a native 4K image which is lower than HZD2s resolution and second it was recorded at 24FPS. We have to wait and see what the final product looks like before we can compare the two.

"If you look at the metadata of the video - it is mastered at just 24 frames per second and the actual resolution of the rendered frame between the cinematic black bars is 3840x1608: so a little more than 74 per cent of a 'real' 4K in spatial resolution and at 80 per cent of 30fps. All together, that is 60 per cent of the amount of pixels pushed per second compared to 4K30 - and something that's decidedly easier to render than you may expect."

Edit: Found it

You quoted me, It got me thinking. PS5 could offer resolution and performance versions of a lot of their titles. So many of Sony’s games this gen have had great checkerboard etc. Seems strange they would develop such great solutions and then abandon them.

bargeparty

While the jump to next gen isn't as great as the previous gen, it still looks pretty damn good. I am truly stoked for both machines.

I think you're kinda wrong on this. As times goes on you'll see more and more smaller improvements that add up to a whole lot.

Just look at the comparison of Aloy from HZD to HFW and it's already a big change in her fidelity.

You quoted me, It got me thinking. PS5 could offer resolution and performance versions of a lot of their titles. So many of Sony’s games this gen have had great checkerboard etc. Seems strange they would develop such great solutions and then abandon them.

Doesn't mean that they abandoned them. What could be true is they many of those tricks might not be necessary with alot of the games. However we will probably see them used or better versions of them in PS5 of games.

As for offering performance vs resolution that still is possible since Demon Souls is already doing that. It's going to be up to developers to decide which is the sad part.

Knightime_X

Know what blows my mind?
You might have to be old enough to really appreciate how far along we've come.
My youngest fantasies started with ps1 \ Sega CD fmv in that some day real time gameplay will look as good as FMV in video games.
And now here we are with graphics vastly superior to CGI in earlier movies.
If you've shown this media to me even just 10 years ago I would have said it was fake.
My brain couldn't even process this level of progression in the 90's.
Killer Instinct arcade blew my mind something fierce back then.

I'm glad i've somehow managed to live long enough to see this come to fruition!

Last edited:
Ok i wasnt paying attention to it at first since it get swallowed by spiderman mike morales, demon souls, godfall, gran turismo and horizon but now i do

That Kena game look stunning !

There was a little dev video for this game at the Future Games Show yesterday, in case you missed it. I think it looks really good, has some charm. Day One for me

The people that say this looks like a slightly better version of GT Sport are just...

I think this is the one game from the event getting the most overlooked. If you watch it back in 4k it really looks quite stunning and detailed

Last edited:

TigerKnee

I think you're kinda wrong on this. As times goes on you'll see more and more smaller improvements that add up to a whole lot.

Just look at the comparison of Aloy from HZD to HFW and it's already a big change in her fidelity.

Oh I agree with you 100% from HZD. But I am actually comparing the fidelity of TLOU2 :)

You should man they are cheap as chips now. Makes a huge difference

yeah, probably will do that when I pick up a PS5. just have to do some research on what's best for my price range. want a big one with maybe higher refresh rate so I can maybe hook up the PC later on once I upgrade it.

carlosrox

Banned
Kena and Horizon are the best looking.

Kena's in-game playable graphics take a hit compared to the cinematics from what I can see, but I expect Horizon will end up looking the same in both.

Kena is made by a smaller team too so it makes sense.

Ratchet looks pretty amazing but I don't like that pop when loading in the portals. I hope they can buff that out.

Major_Key

perm warning for starting troll/bait threads
Kena and Horizon are the best looking.

Kena's in-game playable graphics take a hit compared to the cinematics from what I can see, but I expect Horizon will end up looking the same in both.

Kena is made by a smaller team too so it makes sense.

Ratchet looks pretty amazing but I don't like that pop when loading in the portals. I hope they can buff that out.

most impressive things is that it is cross gen

Know what blows my mind?
My youngest fantasies started with ps1 \ Sega CD fmv in that some day real time gameplay will look as good as FMV in video games.
If you've shown this media to me even just 10 years ago I would have said it was fake.

I hear you bother!!! I’m feeling pretty old myself and started playing games with the NES and the Master System.

I honestly hoped that we would get to this level one day but not sure I have fully absorbed it yet. I mean all those years ago playing the first 3d games on psx and n64 was so much fun I knew 3d games was what it was all about and that eventually we’d need holodecks like in Star Trek and that is the thing that I hope to live to see in the next 50 - 60 years I hope! I doubt we’ll get that far within that amount of time but I doubted we’d get this far yet.

I haven’t been so excited for a new generation since the Dreamcast. This is the first game console gen I’ve seen where both new consoles are truly powerhouses. Every time before we’ve seen one or two gen back PC technologies. This time they’re right on the cutting edge and it’s the first time we’ve seen a pair of consoles that are pretty much free of bottle necks. They’re just ready and raring for devs to take the most out of them.

Compared to the beginning of the PS4 and XB1 gen it’s just not comparable. Personally at the time I felt like the jump from PS3 and X360 to be a nice leap I felt like both companies had been very conservative and cheap on their tech leap at the time. This time it’s completely different I feel like they’ve both gone all out, especially Sony and the SSD. I seriously cannot wait to get my hands on these new consoles!

I usually find myself slowly adopting when I find a game I definitely want I didn’t buy a PS4 until god of war. Although I could play some games on my brothers PS4. I’m down for a PS5 day one without knowing what games are available and potentially an Xbox SX if I can see some games I’d like to play. It might not be at launch but I’d like to have access to game pass. I haven’t owned all current gen consoles since the DC, GCN, Xbox & PS2. I haven’t felt so much like a hardcore game fan in a long time.

Last edited:
Oh I agree with you 100% from HZD. But I am actually comparing the fidelity of TLOU2 :)

Personally I can already clearly see the areas of graphical fidelity that are held back by the PS4 in the same way we could all see the way TLOU was held back by the PS3. The leap forward is huge and I just can’t understand how people can’t see it.

The top end graphics of this gen are plagued by low res textures, a feeling of static environments, comparative.y low polygon counts and certain GI issues.

We’ve barely seen anything of next gen as true gameplay but already these issues are completely gone and it’s just launch games! I’m so excited to see devs really use all that hp to make the environments really feel alive and feel starved of new info already!

Quantum253

Only having YouTube to capture gameplay running 1440p, and only doing screen caps, I think it's hard to convey how these games will look properly on a 4k screen. That said even with lots of motion blur, YouTube compression, and screen capping on a mobile, these games still looks incredible. Here's, what looks like, gameplay from Mortal Shell and I think the IQ and detail still looks next gen. Edit: I just noticed the light from the sword is reflecting on the gauntlet. Even little bits of ray tracing can have awesome effects

jZaTfWb.png

Last edited:
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, was THE most next gen looking game in that showcase. I loved every moment of that reveal. Horizon Forbidden West was also beautiful. I will say this though... That showcase had too many indies, and a remake... That does not bode well in my opinion. Sure Demon's Souls looks decent, but we've already been down this path. They need to stay focused on the future of gaming and stop looking into the past unless they intend to make a NEW game in any given franchise instead.

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, was THE most next gen looking game in that showcase. I loved every moment of that reveal. Horizon Forbidden West was also beautiful. I will say this though... That showcase had too many indies, and a remake... That does not bode well in my opinion. Sure Demon's Souls looks decent, but we've already been down this path. They need to stay focused on the future of gaming and stop looking into the past unless they intend to make a NEW game in any given franchise instead.
As long as Rift Apart has The Pixelator, I'll be good.

Yoboman

Indies will make up a large chunk of the games for the first year just like this gen

Indies will make up a large chunk of the games for the first year just like this gen
Indies are fine, but should not be the spotlight of a console reveal in my opinion. The focus should be on first party exclusives which I would assume AAA, and third party AAA games. The indies could have been revealed in follow up streams/ conferences. Then of course the Demon Souls remake... which I get that it would appeal to fans of the original or even new fans to the Souls series who never got to experience Demon's Souls, but in a console reveal? Bold if not outright idiotic since we're coming off the heels of a generation chalk full of remasters and remakes. A new console means new horizons. Remasters and remakes are a given at this point, but leave that for another time. Again, just my opinion.

xPikYx

Obviously there is a difference, as per obvious the difference is not that "biggest generational leap" they want us to believe, it is between disappointing and delusional. Call it diminishing return if you like, but Unreal Engine 5 as well as hellblade2 proved that there was a large margin for improvement, and so far this has not been the case, cuz the first was a tech demo and the second need to be vetted as real time

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:
Know what blows my mind?

I know, right? I remember playing Rise of the Robots and Under a Killing Moon on PC back in 1994, saying to my brother:

"OK, this is as good as it gets. Games couldn't ever look any better than this. It's impossible!"

:messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I know, right? I remember playing Rise of the Robots and Under a Killing Moon on PC back in 1994, saying to my brother:

"OK, this is as good as it gets. Games couldn't ever look any better than this. It's impossible!"

:messenger_sunglasses:

I have a feeling the something will happen with the PS5 generation.

Top Bottom