• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capucine-WII

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
cappuccino.gif

bluemax

Banned
If this is a student project then color me impressed. I've worked on a few student projects that were nowhere near this nice. The trailer show a lot of content for a student project.

If this is a professional project then um, where to begin?

fmcato

Looks nice, but most of the art (main character, shadow enemies, ruins...) seems totally inspired by ICO. They should try to change that so they develop a particular style.

On the technical side, it's clearly a demo to show to publishers, so I guess there is plenty of room for improvement. The premise and execution (in the videos) looks promising enough.

The M.O.B

bluemax said:
If this is a student project then color me impressed. I've worked on a few student projects that were nowhere near this nice. The trailer show a lot of content for a student project.

If this is a professional project then um, where to begin?

Student work

fmcato said:
On the technical side, it's clearly a demo to show to publishers, so I guess there is plenty of room for improvement. The premise and execution (in the videos) looks promising enough.

Did you guys even read the thread ? It's not a demo to show to publishers, it's a final year school project from SupInfo students.

Stormbringer said:
Did you guys even read the thread ? It's not a demo to show to publishers, it's a final year school project from SupInfo students.

I doubt they would talk so much about the target audience being the general public and how they chose the Wii because it appeals to such a broad audience if they weren't at least thinking of taking this to the next level.

fmcato

Stormbringer said:

Oh, I see. Got lost with the fact it was developed for Wii.

Bert

BrodiemanTTR said:
I doubt they would talk so much about the target audience being the general public and how they chose the Wii because it appeals to such a broad audience if they weren't at least thinking of taking this to the next level.

My 14 year old GCSE students have to identify a target audience and give reasons behind it for their PowerPoint presentations, I think it's pretty standard across education these days. That said, why not look for someone to take this further? That's how successful final year projects become businesses: you prove your concept then look for backing to actually turn it into a product.

If any of the developers stumble across this thread, please ignore the vast majority of the posts. "Ugh, a student's final year project doesn't match up to a $20,000,000 project! Kill it with fire!"

And I just came from a thread with people complaining that there weren't enough indie games, with a reception like this is it surprising.

On the game itself, I love the concept and could see a really nice feel to the game of wandering around exploring this dead world, the pacing would be absolutely critical though.

Also, a few people in this thread need to look up the definition of "fantastic".

BrodiemanTTR said:

I don't know, I would think that defining and explaining clearly the target audience of the game they are developing would be an entire part their student project. I'm not really accustomed to the world of the development studies, but I honestly doubt they are they are actively searching a publisher for this modest project.

[edit]

My 14 year old GCSE students have to identify a target audience and give reasons behind it for their PowerPoint presentations, I think it's pretty standard across education these days. That said, why not look for someone to take this further? That's how successful final year projects become businesses: you prove your concept then look for backing to actually turn it into a product.

Yes, that's what I was referring to.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Neat concept. And I dig that field of light-blossoms. I like the graphical style, but the execution needs work. Intriguing.

Bert said:
My 14 year old GCSE students have to identify a target audience and give reasons behind it for their PowerPoint presentations, I think it's pretty standard across education these days.

Ah, I didn't know that.

ivysaur12 said:
EDIT: Holy crap, they have 18 staff members working on this... that's like... 18 more than Sadness ever had.

Actually 17. If you count the guy that google the images and photoshop random pics.

It looks ugly but considering it's a student project, it's okay, I guess. But the fact that it's a student project means it probably won't see the light of day unless it truly is amazing.

Good luck to them and animating a dead world is a good concept.

KevinRo

bluemax said:
That is cool then. A little too much on the stolen assets side for me but still a nice project.

Give them a break. The game looks beautifull with an amazing concept behind it.

Dolphin

Banned
I'm impressed. This is quite an accomplishment for a low budget project. It needs some work with animation and physics but it looks pretty good, for a concept anyway. I'm not sure how well it could translate to a fully fleshed out game, the gameplay might need some more diversity. Looks like it's coming along well though, I hope they get a publisher.

The vast majority of you can go back to salivating over Crysis.

Flakster99

Consider my interests piqued. My hard core nature a few years back would have dismissed the concept, the game's artistic nature, and it's graphics immediately.

Edit. Another thing. After re watching the trailer, I'm getting original Everquest vibes from it's graphical detail. For me, it makes the game and it's premise easier on the eyes. Nostalgia is a beautiful, evil thing. :)

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
to me it just seems that they have to radomize a few things and maked the transitions between ground tree and rock a bit smoother and completely implament the lighting engine. some updated texures would be ideal, but not totally necessary.

i definately have some concerns on whether this will make it to the light of day, however, I did a little digging, and they've been working on the game since June 06. this at the very least started as a total conversion mod of cryENGINE 1, the graphics engine that the original Far Cry ran on.

the site i got it from, a cryENGINE modding community, had screens that were about what we see here and it linked to the site as well. i'm not sure, but these could just be PC prototype screens and in the end mean that it doesnt exist, but if they are serious about the game, and get this up and running on the Wii, this game has the potential to be a huge milestone for indie devs in getting games on the Wii. i mean, Line Rider, litterally a quirky little flash game made by one person is getting made into a Wii/DS game, i dont see why this one couldnt do the same if they made a full game out of it.

I'm really looking forward to see this game come to bear. i really want to see more of these artistic games on the Wii to prove graphics dont mean squat, and of course, to get some truly unique games.

yori

I really like the atmosphere of this game. It seems so similar to Ico, glad to see this game inspirates a game like this one.

Honestly the game doesn't look bad. Sure, vegetation and textures look a bit blurry, and the character models and her animations) are bad, but overall it still looks nice. Nice art, quite ICO-like, and the bloom lighting is actually used pretty well since it makes the blurry textures actually seem quite high-res. That scene towards the end with the mountains in the distance and the sky turning dark actually looked pretty good compared to many Wii games.

I think this has a good concept too, and the use of the wiimote looked pretty nice. I loved how there are Zelda style puzzles strewn around the place.

capslock said:
Man, this was always going to be the danger of a successful Nintendo console: NTards crawling out of the woodwork to get their their crappy basement developed games published....

The way these developers should go about this is to develop one level and then see if they can get it published on Virtual Console, if it's downloaded enough they might get a publisher interested in it.

Danger? The industry is in danger when such developers have no chance of cracking into the market.

Neat idea and the trailer doesn't look too bad. Could be really cool if it's like Knytt/Shadow of the Colossus, where you have a huge world to explore instead of levels or areas or something. I'd like to see someone take the concept further and have a world that is completely dark and dead, visited by some character with powers or someone from the future. And they explore the world using some kind of power like the light in this game. That could be sweet.

Environments look very nice for a game from a small company. Art style seems more inspired than almost anything I've seen on Wii so far.
The animations are not impressive and I'm not too sure about the gameplay yet but this game has potential.

kizmah

The concept is great and with a little work this could turn into a good original VC-title. Make it happen Nintendo!

farnham

Banned
hamzik said:
The concept is great and with a little work this could turn into a good original VC-title. Make it happen Nintendo!
with a little more work i would pay the fullprice

the art is good and the surroundings do look okay. the character model needs work though

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Needs more work with animation/graphics. They should at least make the animation nice if they cant make better textures and models.

After that they'll probably need to overhaul the gameplay. Pulling leaves to make a bridge doesn't look challenging or fun.

Its a very interesting concept though. I enjoyed exploring SoTC's world and this could be like that but more. Discover ancient structures and reanimate creatures (a different human-like race maybe).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Considering its from a french dev, and it already looks better than a bunch of their recent Wii titles...

It wouldn't surprise me to see Ubisoft pick this up, repacking, repurpose, and release if it gets enough internet buzz

justchris

I like the concept and ideas behind the game, but it definitely needs work. Since it doesn't have a publisher (and therefore no money behind it) I'd say it does a pretty good job, all told.

etiolate

Banned
I like the concept, and the mood, and especially the music. Graphically they need to make it less angular. As someone said, the trees are nice, but then you get to the floor and it looks like polygons instead of ground. Perhaps a pathway that is rounded, U shaped even, would give the player a more paranoid feel due to the character sinking below the trees and such. You could also use time tested weather usage to establish mood. Rain in a dead world is slightly oxymoronic, but wind can be very disturbing and blow the dead things around.

Also, the use of(if I am understanding the gameplay correctly) your life meter as also your 'ability' meter to use the light beam is how developers SHOULD be telling stories and questioning morality in games. The gameplay concept itself is a test of morality and self-sacrifice. You must risk yourself to advance or manipulate the world, as opposed to GTA where you just get tossed in jail for a split second and everything goes back to normal. Also, you creating the enemies establishes self-responsibility within the gameplay. This is how story telling in videogames can differ itself from movies. Hacks like Kojima should steal these ideas.

And yes, the game rips from Ico a lot. The main character and enemies ahoy.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
John Harker said:
Considering its from a french dev, and it already looks better than a bunch of their recent Wii titles...

It wouldn't surprise me to see Ubisoft pick this up, repacking, repurpose, and release if it gets enough internet buzz
jeeze, we can only hope. Ubi would probably make an effort to improve the game visually as well, considering their recent grovelling. i really want to see this game for realz. its really got me excited.

Top Bottom