• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capucine-WII

The M.O.B

A French development team is working on a new game for the Wii called Capucine. You can read the description of the game below which comes from the official website.

Capucine is an exploration / adventure game, formulated as a tale and based on shadow and light opposition.

This game takes place in a fantastic universe where everything is dead. The player controls a child who holds a ‘capucine’. This flower enables her to survive in this desolated world. The little girl can hand on her own life to the surroundings thanks to a beam of light she can cast from her hand. To maintain life, water will be vital. However, the player must be careful not to animate the shadows of the surrounding elements. Indeed, animated shadows will try to steal the flower in order to prevent the child from accomplishing her destiny: revive the World.

The main intention is to offer a quiet and disturbing gaming experience where the player explores the surroundings and solves riddles. During the adventure, we want the player to be fascinated by the world he discovers. We also want him to become attached to the main character. The gameplay and the interface must be easy to understand but not simplistic, in order to create an optimal immersion.

Capucine is based on four fundamental principles:

* Give life rather than take it.
* A unique gameplay element: the beam of light.
* Build your own path.
* The player creates his own enemies.

Site

Screenshots

Artwork

Trailer

Music1
Music2
Music3

The M.O.B said:
A French development team is working on a new game for the Wii called Capucine. You can read the description of the game below which comes from the official website.

Capucine is an exploration / adventure game, formulated as a tale and based on shadow and light opposition.
zzz

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Looks much better than Sadness

Edit:

And, actually, it makes me yearn for a new King's Field game for some reason

Eteric Rice

Interesting concept. Needs a lot of work in the graphical style department.

They should call up the Harvest Moon team and ask em how they do flora and stuff. )

Threi

notag
028_mini.jpg

holy crap at the lighting...my eyes are about to explode :lol

ivysaur12

Banned
Interesting idea. Character model looks crappy (and just like Yorda?), trees look ok, animations are terrible, ehhh...

It actually exists, so it looks better than Sadness ever did. The movie is nice, though.

EDIT: The artwork is ****ing awesome though.

Deku

Banned
Plays like an indie movie, which i suppose it is in game terms. But without a publisher this is pretty much just a pipe dream.

ivysaur12

Banned
Oldschoolgamer said:
:lol

Looks nice in some spots. I kind of like the direction they are going with the art. Hope everything turns out well.

Yeah, I agree. The music is really nice too, this is an indie game that I actually would want to get.

EDIT: Holy crap, they have 18 staff members working on this... that's like... 18 more than Sadness ever had.

Kafel

Banned
It's not really a game made by a development team but by a (VG) school project.

I don't think their projects have ever been published.

Eteric Rice

I like the concept, but am I the only one that feels this would be so much better if it were done in the visual style of Okami?

That's just me.

Innotech

Banned
it has a bit of promise but obviously needs a lot of work before I can decide if this is crap or not. It sounds slightly interesting.

Deku

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
I like the concept, but am I the only one that feels this would be so much better if it were done in the visual style of Okami?

That's just me.
I like the SOTC/ICO vibe.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Man, this was always going to be the danger of a successful Nintendo console: NTards crawling out of the woodwork to get their their crappy basement developed games published....

The way these developers should go about this is to develop one level and then see if they can get it published on Virtual Console, if it's downloaded enough they might get a publisher interested in it.

Mii

Banned
Nintendo needs to pick this up and send them some in-game art designers. Send it Ico's/SotC's way in art direction.

Cruceh

Banned
Seems interesting enough. It could use a little help in the graphics department, but I like the music a lot.

Drensch

Hopefully Wii can open a market for games like this. This obviously isn't a Half-life 2 or somthing like that. But it'd be nice to have a console market that supports small devs with niche products like this.

Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
028_mini.jpg

holy crap at the lighting...my eyes are about to explode :lol

I'm looking at the top "oh those branches are nice" I'm scrolling I'm scrolling "ew, that chick is made of like 100 polygons" I'm scrolling further down "holy shit that plant is 2d, I haven't seen a simple 1 plane plant since Tomb Raider"I get to the bottom "O MEH EYES, THEY'VE BEEN BURNT OUT."

Linkup

Need to refine their art direction. Looks cool, but to often nothing comes of it.

perryfarrell said:
Why do these nutty developers all flock to the Wii?

Will, where else is there to flock? The download networks aren't really an option if your going for a full fledge game and also the "big ideas over big budget" stuff nintendo was talking about, but really hasn't done jack about.

edit: Great, lets just rename the thread "Indie games for Wii/DS that will never get published".

jrricky

Banned
The art direction and concept has great potential. Quick publishers, grab this and make something great out of it.:)

Avrum

Visually speaking, the game definitely needs a bit more TLC, but hopefully that goes without saying since it is still in ongoing development. The concept however sounds very interesting. Looking at the video though, there was one segment where the girl seemed to just be bringing to life random dead trees. I hope that doesn't become a core part of the game as I can't imagine myself trying ot revive an entire forest. :p

Otherwise, the few puzzles they showed that seemed to rely on Wii remote access was pretty cool looking, like the one with the lilypads. And having to be careful as to what you bring to life will be a pretty decent mechanic if they can vary things beyond just shadows possibly becoming monsters.

The project has the potential to go far I'd say and it's nice that they actually have content to show. (paging Sadness, where is your existence?)

Drensch said:
Hopefully Wii can open a market for games like this. This obviously isn't a Half-life 2 or somthing like that. But it'd be nice to have a console market that supports small devs with niche products like this.
The business/retail model isn't ready for it yet though and the Wii doesn't show any signs of doing anything about it. Until we start seeing more effort to diversify pricing or at least more work in DD, all these projects for consoles won't get much success. On PC you can do a lot more to get your game out but with consoles you better have some clear idea on how you want to get your game out. It's nice to see all these little projects popping up but people like Inafune is right in stressing how important it is to always keep in mind the business portion of your project.

PS3 - Seemingly not greenlighting too many small games for PSN download service
360 - Lots of projects of varying quality but certification could put a developer through hell. Most projects apparently only get noticed if the developer has received recognition somewhere else.
Wii - hasn't yet opened up its DD service and memory could present major issues. As of now it only seems that already successful publishers will have titles going up for the future service.

Looks like someone's gotta give to me if console gaming is to truly start to have garage development.

This shit looks terrible. I hope they're planning to populate this fantastic game world with something other than crude, polygonal shapes and blurry, sloppily applied textures, otherwise these guys are in for a rude awakening when it comes time to shop for a publisher.

The M.O.B

Both this game and the other student made game,The Core,have good music and art but I don't know if they will play or look good on their respective platforms.

Top Bottom