• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cargo Shorts. Why the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
More pockets the better. I love baggy cargo pants and shorts. So much storage without having to store anything in an arse pocket! Plus they're roomy on a short lass like me! Aw yeaaah!

TSC_CreeperShorts-Colors.jpg

Symphonic

Sorry to all the people here that think otherwise, but cargo shorts are miserable. Heavy, thick, cluttered-looking, and make you look 10 inches shorter.

Shorts above the knee feminize the wearer. Shorts at the knee are neutral. Shorts under the knee look bulky.

I wear cargo shorts just fine, in fact I rock them. Anything without a side pocket does have that mailman look and really I'd rather just wear pants at that point.

Symphonic

Shorts above the knee feminize the wearer. Shorts at the knee are neutral. Shorts under the knee look bulky.

I wear cargo shorts just fine, in fact I rock them. Anything without a side pocket does have that mailman look and really I'd rather just wear pants at that point.

Actually not necessarily true anymore, and especially not true 20 or 30 years ago.

I like them. I'm a built guy, and can't seem to wear any type of shorts well other than cargo or bball shorts. Damn all you judgemental people. Damn you!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah, I like the more dressy shorts or athletic shorts, but usually don't wear shorts anyway because heat doesn't bother me. I wish capris were more accepted for men in the west like in southeast asia because they're pretty awesome for cycling and going around on foot if it's raining.

Those look like women's tennis shorts...
Wow. Cultural divide, I guess.

njean777

Currently, no. Wouldn't be surprised if they swing around at some point though with ironic fashion boosts.

Put them on with some basketball shoes, and t-shirt and there you go my friend. I don't wear them all the time anymore like I use to, but I still do on occasion. I can pull them off without looking completely stupid, and no woman has ever laughed at me for wearing them or anything.

Symphonic

Put them on with some basketball shoes, and t-shirt and there you go my friend. I don't wear them all the time anymore like I use to, but I still do on occasion. I can pull them off without looking completely stupid, and no woman has ever laughed at me for wearing them or anything.

Power to ya, then. I think it'd be great if they did come into fashion, I've always felt like there's not enough options for shorts in stores.

If a person needs to wear new clothes to feel good that's fine, but at it's core the fashion is meaningless consumerism.

At it's core, pretty much everything is consumerism. Kind of a miserable way to look at it.

There's no problem with cargo shorts. That being said, not all cargo shorts are treated equally.

I don't need that many pockets because I carry a man bag and I don't wear shorts because my legs are hairy.

How you gonna let hairy legs stop you from wearing shorts? Own it, bro. That's what I do. It's too hot here to justify pants 24/7 just cause I've got hairy legs.

As teen of the ninties i love cargo shorts.

Also lest we not forget the every other decade thoery. The 00s saw a resurgance of 80s fashion. Its now the 10s cargo shorts are going to make a comeback. 1997-2017

Just wait and see.

I don't need that many pockets because I carry a man bag and I don't wear shorts because my legs are hairy.

Rock the hairy legs, I fucking dig them! Nothing worse than a guy with hairless, shaved legs, or a guy with weak hair leg growth in my opinion. But I'm also into beards so maybe I got a caveman fetish or something! Haha!

Flo_Evans

? "Sorry everyone living in extremely warm climates, wearing clothing that exposes your legs makes you a tool."

Nice logic there.

Its about as logical as deciding extra pockets make some shorts unfashionable. Shorts are comfort clothing... the debate about extra pockets being lame/cool is dumb because no one seriously trying to dress well wears shorts.

What the fuck is this shit? Disgusting.

Shouldn't be shocked by casual homophobia and sexism, but here I am!!!

I didn't say anything near homophobic. I'm not at all afraid or have a dislike of gay people. I said "feminizing" nothing more. Also remember that I live in Vancouver in Canada with a huge gay population.

Also for all the cargo shorts haters simply go to Pinterest and search men shorts. You'll find pics of David Beckham and many other super good looking men wearing cargos.

I also find it cute you were able to pinpoint my sexuality.

At it's core, pretty much everything is consumerism. Kind of a miserable way to look at it.

I said Meaningless Consumerism, which is the consumption of something for the sake of consuming it, i.e. constantly buying clothing, despite having a closet full of clothes that are perfectly functional, because someone said that the clothes you wore 6 months ago aren't fashionable.

I didn't say anything near homophobic. I'm not at all afraid or have a dislike of gay people. I said "feminizing" nothing more. Also remember that I live in Vancouver in Canada with a huge gay population.

Also for all the cargo shorts haters simply go to Pinterest and search men shorts. You'll find pics of David Beckham and many other super good looking men wearing cargos.

Hey I like them slightly above the knee sometimes. I'm a big 6'5' guy, I keep it manly! :p

Pryce

I also find it cute you were able to pinpoint my sexuality.

Well this is the problem. David Beckham will look good in damn near anything.

Your average joe who's balding and overweight does himself no favors.

entremet

What the fuck is this shit? Disgusting.

Shouldn't be shocked by casual homophobia and sexism, but here I am!!!

Fashion is very personal.

While I don't agree with how the posters you're referring articulated their opinions, many people express traditional gender roles via fashion. Nothing wrong with that.

What is wrong is when you try say it should be like that for everyone. Clothing should be personal choice obviously. Wear what you want.

Remember those goofy shorts with plaid-ish patterns on them that everyone wore back in like '08?

I still see dad's in Ohio wearing them.

I had a pair lol

entremet

Well this is the problem. David Beckham will look good in damn near anything.

Your average joe who's balding and overweight does himself no favors.

Beckham is not wearing the traditional oversized stereotypical shorts. They're form fitting and attractive on a reasonable athletic male, which he is.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Hey I like them slightly above the knee sometimes. I'm a big 6'5' guy, I keep it manly! :p

Yeah I was gonna say that at 6'3", cargo shorts really only go to my knee but not below them. I'm also overweight so I feel like the pockets balance out against my love handles when you're looking at me. When I wear my regular chinos, I feel like my stomach area becomes more pronounced.

Standard shorts also show way more leg than I'd like

Fashion is the Avatar or meaningless consumerism.

#TeamCargoShorts

C'mon, you're not limited to either $20 Wal-Mart cargoes or $350 Rag & Bone pants. You can wear clothes that please the eye, work for your body type, and are comfortable without splashing out or buying anything that's going to be out of style in six months. It just takes a minimum of research and trying things on.

If you don't care what you look like and just want to drape yourself in any old non-constrictive fabric, then, that's fine too.

I said Meaningless Consumerism, which is the consumption of something for the sake of consuming it, i.e. constantly buying clothing, despite having a closet full of clothes that are perfectly functional, because someone said that the clothes you wore 6 months ago aren't fashionable.

My friends and one of my cousins are like that. They'll constantly purchase shit and wear each thing perhaps a few times, then follow the latest fashion trends to dictate the next set of clothes they get, shit leaves their wardrobes shortly after they arrive. I wish I had that much money to spend on stuff.

My wardrobe is just band t-shirts, jeans, cargo pants and shorts, a pair of boots, a pair of trainers, and a pair of dress pumps for one of the few times I wear a dress to a function or a night out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom