• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carmageddon: Reincarnation Kickstarter by Stainless Games [Ended, $625K funded]

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
UPDATE: KICKSTARTER IS UP!!!!

KICKSTARTER

Maxhead.jpg

xvV7B.png

update 3:
GOG-Reward-Image-1.jpg

UPDATE2:
Removed some tiers and added some more. Also a second AMA on reddit this Friday.

Video update - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VmtehcmN1do

Pledge $15 OR MORE
DRM THIS!:As well as the Steam version, all $15 pledgers will be offered a DRM-free, caffeine free, gluten free, born free non-steam version of the PC game to download. This version will have no Steamworks functionality and will support single player and LAN multiplayer only. This is only currently offered for the PC platform and will not be available until completion. (Mac and Linux versions are planned, but still TBC.) Please note that the delivery date is an estimate and is subject to change.
drmfree.jpg

PLEDGE $30 OR MORE
DOUBLE WHAMMY: A total of 2 digital download codes for Carmageddon: Reincarnation. Now you can bring a friend to play, and remember these come with beta access too! (+Previous Rewards)

PLEDGE $45 OR MORE
POSTCARDS FROM THE (NEAR) FUTURE: A set of 4 Carmageddon: Reincarnation art cards. (+Previous Rewards)
updatecards.jpg

PLEDGE $75 OR MORE
SHIRT HAPPENS: A NEW physical reward! Show your loyalty to the cause with one of our new Carmageddon: Reincarnation logo t-shirts. You can choose from a selection of colours and have it in a male or female style. (+Previous Rewards)
updateshirt.jpg

PLEDGE $349 OR MORE
GOODY (BALL) BAG – THE BAG: An actual bag for your bag of goodies! As demonstrated by Sim, this handy carrying apparatus can be used to transport all sorts of STUFF!

There’s no need to choose this reward – if you’ve already pledged $350 or more you’ll get this too!

If the OP want to update with this or someone start a new thread.

Carmageddon: Reincarnation Kickstarter [400K goal]

photo-full.jpg

Carmageddon: Reincarnation Kickstarter page.

…Max Damage is back! Carmageddon: Reincarnation is going to reintroduce the gaming world to the original freeform driving sensation, where pedestrians (and cows) equal points and your opponents are a bunch of crazies in a twisted mix of automotive killing machines. It’s the racing game where racing is for wimps.
Originally released for the PC in 1997, Carmageddon was an instant hit thanks to its anarchic gameplay and over-the-top surreal comedy violence.

title3.jpg

Carmageddon: Reincarnation is a re-boot of everything that made the original games such a blast to play. The new game will be inspired by the classic environments, cars, drivers and power-ups from the original, but dragged screaming and kicking into the current state of the rendered art. And of course, there will be a bunch of brand new STUFF too, including true rag-doll pedestrians and physics-based power-ups that let you mess with their limbs whilst wiping away the tears - of laughter!

Multiplayer was the hidden-treasure of Carmageddon back in the dark days of LAN parties, but will now be able to be enjoyed by almost all of our players, thanks to the entire planet going online since then. The single player game will be brilliant too, thanks to demented opponents with demented A.I. brains made from demented code written by demented programmers.

Another cutting-edge feature that our loyal fans loved about the original game was the Action Replay facility, and this is also going to be coming back - but with a modern twist: You'll be able to post your clips on YouTube and other such sites. And of course we will be embracing the Social Media revolution and linking up to your Facebooks and Twitters with in-game integration so you can disturb your parents without even leaving the game.

The Carmageddon community means the world to us, and over the years a dedicated army of Modders continued to develop content for the original games. We’ll be making sure that the tools we use to craft the game are developed in such a way that we can release them as well, thus making player-generated content a central part of the Carmageddon: Reincarnation experience.

title6.jpg

What Do I Get For My Hard-Earned Dollars?
We've planned Carmageddon: Reincarnation as an iterative development project. This means that if we just make it to the $400k target, we'll be able to deliver Release #1 in February 2013. Kickstarter backers of $15 and above will receive Release #1 plus all subsequent releases.
If we exceed the $400k target, it'll allow us to include even more content in the first release. And if we smash the target, it'll also allow us to greatly expand the scope of the game, and to roll it out across more and more platforms, with Kickstarter backers getting to select their delivery platform of choice: consoles, tablets, phones, Macs, toasters, vibrating pillows, bananas... errrr.....
.....anyway! The higher our budget, the more it accelerates the development of major game features and get them in the game sooner, and the greater the ultimate scope of the game's content and delivery platforms. Wahoo! We all win!

If we reach our Kickstarter target of $400,000, we'll be able to deliver the first release of Carmageddon: Reincarnation by February 2013. Following that, our backers will get every update of the game as it's released, for FREE. You get it all for the minimum “get the game” pledge of $15. You get to download the first release via Steam, and your updates will occur automatically after that.

Tiers

Pledge $1 or more
BLOOD DONOR: Thanks for your support! You'll appear in the credits list on our website.

Pledge $15 or more
MEMBER (THROBBING): You'll get the released game, to download from Steam. You'll receive sexy exclusive wallpaper in a range of resolutions to suit all your digital devices. Finally, you'll be credited in the game as a Carmageddon Kickstarter!

Pledge $25 or more
VIP (VERY IMFLAMMABLE PENGUINS): Access to exclusive discussion forums on the carmageddon.com website, where content will also be posted ahead of appearing on the main site. You will also be granted early Beta access to the game, and early access to the official Steam Community game discussion forum. Plus, you get a personal avatar for the site. (+Previous Rewards)

Pledge $50 or more
CUSTOMIZATRON: Kickstart-exclusive game content: You get the option of a cool alternative Red Eagle car model, skin and accessories to use in the game, plus an extra digital copy of the game which which to bribe your way into friendship or marriage with someone. (+Previous Rewards)

Pledge $100 or more
4-WAY ACTION: A total of 4 digital copies of the game so that you can share with your friends (friends not included). As a special treat, we'll include a copy of the exclusive "Cardmageddon" card game for you to play together. Yes, that's right, a real physical THING! (+Previous rewards below $100)

Pledge $100 or more
POSTER PAINTER: A total of 4 digital copies of the game so that you can share with your friends (friends STILL not included). Choose from one of 4 Kickstarter Exclusive Carmageddon: Reincarnation posters which you can stick on your wall, draw mysterious lady parts on and lock your bedroom door. Also including a PDF version. . (+Previous Rewards below $100)

Pledge $150 or more

KICK IN THE BOX: It’s the one everyone’s been waiting for! The GAME. On a DVD. In a BOX! We’ve done the math and it will only slightly bankrupt us. We’re adding the boxed game with the manual and game on a printed DVD in as a $150 level Reward. If anyone who pledged $350 wants to drop their pledge to $150 as a result, then please feel free! If anyone currently going for the t-shirt or bumper sticker level rewards wants to swap their pledge to the boxed game offer, now’s your chance. (+Previous Rewards below $150) (At $350 level, you’ll get all three $150 Reward offers.)

Pledge $150 or more
BEEN THERE DONE THAT: Exclusive Carmageddon: Reincarnation T-shirt that will never be available anywhere else in the whole world ever. Be the envy of your friends. Gain instant romance. Lose weight. Solve world peace whilst simultaneously becoming super-rich. Grow extra legs. Gain immortality. Walk on water. (Benefits may vary.) (+Previous Rewards below $150)

Pledge $150 or more
STICKY MESS: A set of 3 exclusive Carmageddon: Reincarnation bumper stickers. Put them on your lovely new car and ruin its paintwork! Stick them over the eyes of your family members and make your own Sgt. Pepper’s album cover! Use them as duct tape (disused warehouse not included). (+Previous Rewards below $150)

Pledge $150 or more

Double Eagle!!: A pair of lovely little limited edition collector’s items, in the form of two Red Eagles. The original Red Eagle from Carmageddon, and the New Eagle from the new game. Be the envy of all your friends, especially those that are very tiny creatures - because to them, these will appear LIFE-SIZED!! All backers pledging $150 or more will receive the two Eagle collectible miniatures. (+ All previous Rewards)

Pledge $350 or more
GOODY (BALL) BAG: An exclusive-to-Kickstarter retail box containing a USB stick with the game installed, plus a physical special edition Game Manual. This will consist of a new manual for the game (warning, may contain rude words), plus a reprint of the original game's US manual. You will also have digital copies of the game as well so no need to deflower that virgin shrinkwrap! Yes! More physical THINGS! (Atoms included.) (+Previous Rewards, including t-shirt and stickers!)

Pledge $500 or more - (limited to 100 pledges)
I WAS IN THE WAR!: Poster of an exclusive, special edition promo image personally signed by key team members. Also, you'll receive a custom "Splatted Granny" collectable model, hand splatted and painted by a member of the team using their actual human fingers and stuff. No two are alike! A handmade THING! (+Previous Rewards)

Pledge $650 or more - (limited to 50 pledges)
STATE OF THE FART: You'll receive a hand signed piece of Carmageddon: Reincarnation concept art. You'll be able to choose from a selection of images,and your choice will be produced on high quality material, hand signed by the artist and delivered rolled ready for framing, These are strictly limited and will not be available ever again! Other people will want these THINGS! You will be able to sell them on eBay for MONEY! (+Previous Rewards)

Pledge $750 or more - (limited to 20 pledges)
PIMP MY THING: Help the design team to come up with an idea for a cosmetic add-on for the cars in the game. We'll implement it and you'll get a special entry in the credits. These will be available for people to customize their cars in the game, so your handiwork will be seen by millions! A not-real ethereal THING! (+Previous Rewards)

Pledge $750 or more - (limited to 20 pledges)
CURL ONE OFF: Choose where to place some power ups in one of the levels. You'll have a special advantage, at least until your lowly brethren discover your deviousness. Stun your friends with your game-playing prowess - until they also find the Solid Granite Car that you've hidden behind a moose. But for a short while, you will be KING! (+Previous Rewards below $750)

Pledge $1,000 or more
FATAL IMMORTALITY: You can be a Pedestrian in the game! Or choose somebody you don't like (but we will need their permission, unfortunately - damn you Western legal system!) We’ll map your or their face onto one of our in-game victims (you'll get a choice of what style of ped you'd like to be - or you want your mother-in-law to be), so you can chase yourself and other Kickstarter backers and their nemesiseseseseses down in the game. We'll even throw in an exclusive Carmageddon First Aid kit. You'll need it! Yes, a physical THING to go with the abstract reward of digital immortality (or more accurately, repeated DEATH). (+Previous Rewards below $750)

Pledge $2,500 or more - (limited to 50 pledges)
INFAMY!: You can feature on in-game holo-ad stands and billboards as a celebrity (select from a variety of templates: &#8220;Face of the Year&#8221;, "Rear of the year", &#8220;Most Wanted&#8221;, &#8220;Least Wanted&#8221;, "Have you seen this man?", "Vote <your name here>!" etc.) Plus, you'll be credited in the game end credits. A total of 10 digital copies of the game to share with your friends, so that they can share in your magnificence whilst driving a car into your grinning face at 250mph. (+Previous Rewards below $750)

Pledge $7,500 or more - (limited to 16 pledges)
YOU'LL NEVER LEAVE: An invitation to the Carmageddon: Reincarnation Kickstarter Party! We'll fly you from a nearby major international airport to the UK. You will be collected by the 600hp Carmageddon Range Rover. Once here, you'll get a VIP tour of the studio, chat with the team, and then go to the pub with team members and meet some fellow Kickstarters and DRINK until you bleed. We will then stagger into a curry house and be ejected by the management and banned for life. Includes flight, all UK travel and 3 nights in a local hotel. Reward is subject to attendees obtaining any necessary Visas etc. Attendees can bring a guest, but must cover the additional travel & hotel costs themselves. (+Previous Rewards below $750, plus you can choose between FATAL IMMORTALITY and INFAMY.)

Pledge $10,000 or more - (limited to 1 pledge)
DESIGN MONKEY: We'll fly you from a nearby major international airport to the UK. You will be collected by the 600hp Carmageddon Range Rover. Once here, you will get a once in a lifetime chance to collaborate with the design team at Stainless and craft your own race route through one of our environments. You can choose the environment you'd like to use, where to put the checkpoints, powerups, accessories and peds, Have a go at editing stuff yourself using our tools and when you're done, play test your level and help us to come up with a name. You'll get specific mention in the credits and everlasting fame. Probably. Includes flight, all UK travel and 3 nights in a local hotel. Reward is subject to attendees obtaining any necessary Visas. Attendees can bring a guest, but must cover the additional travel & hotel costs themselves. (+Previous Rewards below $750, plus you can choose between FATAL IMMORTALITY and INFAMY.)

Pledge $10,000 or more - (limited to 3 pledges)
HANG ONTO YER HELMET: We'll fly you from a nearby major international airport to the UK. You will be collected by the 600hp Carmageddon Range Rover. Once here, you will get a once in a lifetime chance to get together with the design team at Stainless and create a new opponent character based on your likeness! You can join in with the team to create a backstory and to customize a vehicle to your liking. You will forever be enshrined in Carmageddon folklore. People will be talking about you in bars all around the world. Governments will debate you, and civilisations will fall. OK, maybe not. But you'll be DEAD COOL. Literally. Includes flight, all UK travel and 3 nights in a local hotel. Reward is subject to attendees obtaining any necessary Visas. Attendees can bring a guest, but must cover the additional travel & hotel costs themselves. (+Previous Rewards below $750.)

the original post:

Eagle.jpg

Tez_Eagle01.jpg

a lenghty dev blog with more screens and art

Going right back to when we were kicking off the project, I asked Doug to have a think about a look for the updated Eagle. My feeling was that the Eagle could be treated quite differently to the other vehicles &#8211; there was no reason we shouldn't look at making quite a radical departure from the previous Eagles, as they were all quite different.

the link

Doesn't look too bad. Carmageddon never was a graphical power horse though. I hope they can recapture the fun the first two games had.

itsgreen

PS2/3DS title?

I mean I can understand that the polish isn't there but this has nothing, no details, no resolution, aliasing

itsgreen

Work in progress.

I am all for given a game a far shake, but how can someone consciously release these screens if it isn't a 3ds/ps2 title?

Or are they also building the engine themselves? Because if a dev walks into Epic with some cash or any other engine builder I can have something that looks better within a day or two?

* edit: I might have missed that this isn't a commercial product?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I am all for given a game a far shake, but how can someone consciously release these screens if it isn't a 3ds/ps2 title?

Or are they also building the engine themselves? Because if a dev walks into Epic with some cash or any other engine builder I can have something that looks better within a day or two?

From the blog:
I had to load quite an old build up in order to grab these screens for y'all – as our rendering engine is currently undergoing a major re-write and upgrade

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

This is what games look like while developers make them. It has no details and textures because they don't exist yet. It has no AA because they probably don't use it in the editor. These are extremely early development shots, and how most games look at this stage.

I don't really know what you were expecting from a game this early on.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I know it's a wip, but it looks as ugly as its predecessors at their time, i hope that it will have the same fun too.

itsgreen

This is what games look like while developers make them. It has no details and textures because they don't exist yet. It has no AA because they probably don't use it in the editor. These are extremely early development shots, and how most games look at this stage.

Resolution?

I consider myself generally as someone who can look beyond what's visible. I know pre-alpha states can look like crap. But why release this? There really isn't _anything_ good about these shots?

rakhir

This is why companies don't usually release any work in progress information.

I personally can't wait to run over some civilians.
The redesign is quite good.

Dynoro

Resolution?

I consider myself generally as someone who can look beyond what's visible. I know pre-alpha states can look like crap. But why release this? There really isn't _anything_ good about these shots?

This is why:

Really liking the redesign for the sawblade racer. I hope this gets a quality release once in the far future.

It shows a design in-keeping with the original games; which will please the fans.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

It's the reason why devs never release these screenshots, because everyone expects them to be comparable to the real deal. Many games even start with assets from their prequels (or other games by the same company) as placeholder.

EDIT: For instance, perhaps not many know that The Curse of Monkey Island used sprites from Full Throttle early in development.

pringles

Aaaaahhh! Carmaggeddon was one of my favorite games as a kid. A remake would be so fucking awesome. They better not make the people into 'zombies' or some shit, it needs to be bloody and we need to have cars that can be totally demolished.

PS2/3DS title?

I mean I can understand that the polish isn't there but this has nothing, no details, no resolution, aliasing

one thing you should know about the game, and you will know this once they release proper PR material (trailers and so on) is that the game is all about physics and excellent vehicle deformation.

would be awesome if they could use euphoria for the pedestrians :D
meh, I'm positive they can do better than euphoria. believe in stainless

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nice car, good style for the environment modeling, lol @ wanting "resolution" and basing a negative opinion of a dev build on that.

Slair

Holy shit, nostalgia overload, was soo good on lan back in the day. No zombies and green blood for euro's because germany cant handle it please!

Goldrusher

But why release this? There really isn't _anything_ good about these shots?
Yeah, the OP did a piss-poor job at explaining the screens, and he only posted half of what the developer wants out there.

Read the blog entry:
http://carmageddon.com/blog/nobby’s-concept-album-v-eagle-eyes

Basically they're not sure which direction to go with the main car of the game.

This is a design by Doug Telford, their current designer:

Doug_Eagle03.jpg

"Now, I have to say that much as I really like this rendering, I'm not sure it's quite there yet. A little too much of the beautiful chunkiness and implied proportions that the previous sketch had have gone from this version. I'd like to enlarge the cabin, and the wheels, and re-jig the side exhausts&#8230;

However, Doug's illustration was a good piece of work to use in presentations and so on, and so we paused further progress at that point with the intention of re-visiting it when it was time to really nail down what exactly we wanted our new Eagle to look like."

When they were contacted by Tez Lane, who from what I understand was the original game's artist:

Soon after this exercise, I was contacted for the first time in a while by my old friend and ex-colleague Tez Lane, Stainless's's's original concept artist (see my previous concept album blog). He confessed that he'd been unable to resist the desire to produce a bit of, as he put it, "Carma Fan Art" in the form of an Eagle model. And would I like to see it? Would I FECK! A few minutes later an email with an attachment from my Australia-ensconced buddy plopped into my Inbox. Here's what it contained:

Tez_Eagle01.jpg

YUM. Well, this perfectly illustrates how vast the spectrum of design is, and how each of us can have a really strong and totally diverse vision of our perfect Eagle! Tez's visual was largely based on a model he'd been working on, and he included the Max model file along with the visual. I passed the model to our lead artist Will, who fiddled with it a bit, and in seemingly no time at all, we had the Tez Eagle driving around in our WIP engine/environment:

TezEagleB.jpg

[...] the main reason for this latest concept art blog is to get these two very different designs out into the community, so we can discuss with you guys what sort of design direction you'd like to see the next Eagle take. I'm not saying either of the featured concepts is right. They both have their great design points, and both have some aspects that would need serious tweaking before I could see them making it into the game.

Drazgul

I really hope this is Carmageddon meets Burnout Paradise.

That would suck, considering Paradise City was an empty husk of a city devoid of all life. Even the cars drove themselves! :p

Really like Tez's design myself (nothing wrong with Doug's either, except maybe for the blade) - what I'd really like to see this time around would be visible upgrades. Buy that titanium spike offensive upgrade, and you can actually see the spikes on your car.

54-46!

That would suck, considering Paradise City was an empty husk of a city devoid of all life. Even the cars drove themselves! :p

Of course the city needs to be full of people to run over, I'm primarily talking about the online stunt challenges - imagine that stuff with a bunch of pedestrians in the way, the possibilities!

I prefer the customized look of the Stingray looking thing. The other design looks like some crazy purposebuilt racing tank.

Really like Tez's design myself (nothing wrong with Doug's either, except maybe for the blade) - what I'd really like to see this time around would be visible upgrades. Buy that titanium spike offensive upgrade, and you can actually see the spikes on your car.
The designs also explored the idea of visual upgrades to the car's bodywork (it was one of the features of "Crackdown" that I/we loved – they implemented visual vehicle upgrades beautifully), and the work caused interesting discussions about ways in which we could design the upgrades in a way that made it obvious to the player what had been upgraded, and by how much.
It's something they're considering at least.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've been thinking for a while now that they should go the Kickstarter route. I'll pledge $25 or $50 once I've bought Diablo 3 and Max Payne 3.

If they get the free mayhem and collision/destruction right, this will be awesome.

definitely. these cars need weight, they need to tumble, distort, shed parts. Collisions need to feel crushing, not just like they slammed 2 cardboard boxes together like a lot of the more recent car combat games (of which there aren't many, i guess). game needs physics. really good physics. Getting that super boost powerup and just crushing a car side-on, sending both flying. hell yeah.

There has been an itch from Carmageddon and PS1-era Destruction Derby 1 and 2 that has not been scratched in 2 generations. no guns, just your car slamming into another and see what happens.

I'm in.

Top Bottom