• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cars 3 Teaser Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nepenthe

You know, I was excited about the potential premises in here of McQueen not being able to race anymore and it being a film about an existential crisis until I read the premise on Wiki stating he'll be racing around the world again. Unless this crash happens in the middle of the film, then fuck, man. Missed opportunity.

The weirdest thing about this is the amount of people pineing for "matoor" Cars, especially in those youtube comments.

Like, it's fucking Cars.

So the mature children's toys were fine.

It would be cool if they did something interesting with this series, but two seconds of vague implications isn't enough to make me believe that this is it.

I'll post this here:
Written by Hideo Kojima and Directed by Michael Bay with Jerry Bruckheimer as Producer. Pixar presents Cars 3. After Mater's death in a cow tipping/transmechanical orgy gone awry, Lightning McQueen suffers an existential crisis and comes to terms with his inner demons and extreme addiction to synthetic lubes.

Then in 2022, we'll get the spinoff starring Mater: Metal Gear Drifting

Tow' Raiden Mater "Why won't you lose?!"

Senator Chuck HickStrong: "NANOGEARS, SON!"

So, it's going to be Lightning McQueen having a terrible crash and having to work his way back to being champion? Or is he going to crash so hard that it's a movie about him coming to terms about not being able to race anymore?

(Probably the first one but I wouldn't put it past Pixar to try the second one.)

Either way, not really the kind of trailer I was expecting for this series.

I think the spinoff Planes sequel Fire & Rescue already tackled the second narrative.

If the writing is actually up to Pixar standards this time around, then I'd guess they could pull off either option (or take a third option) in a way that doesn't make McQueen's arc feel obvious.

Brandson

As a father who has had to sit through the Cars franchise so many times that it's basically wallpaper at this point, Cars 1 had a story and characters that at least made sense. Aside from being amateurish, Cars 2 totally went off the rails when they changed Mater's personality to make him even more of a clingy simpleton, and then strapped machine guns on him. The Cars shorts have all been much better in tone, like the first movie. They don't need to be making Cars mash-ups with James Bond, superheroes, Citizen Kane, or whatever. Just let the world and concept stand on its own. That's all kids want.

WHY THE FUCK is there a Cars 3?!
xiR2Hlr.gif

GKB

Wow, looks surprisingly good. I was going to watch this just for the racing references, but yeah, i'm very interested now.

dc89

Am I the only one who thinks Pixar are running on empty in terms of their creativity. I'm not a big fan of their sequels.

Vinc

I can't wait for Pixar to return to greatness, if that's possible.

In the meantime, Disney Animation Studios are delivering the masterpieces.

Loved Inside Out, but that's kind of the odd one out in terms of their releases since Cars 2.

Anticol

Banned
Why is Pixar so obsessed with the cars franchise?

They are by far in my opinion the worst movies made by them but they keep doing them instead of doing a sequel of something better.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I always vet the trailers I show my kids unless it's something from Disney.

My four year old is legit shook. He cried for ten minutes. I'm not sure he's going to sleep. What the hell were they thinking with this trailer?

Reversed

They are by far in my opinion the worst movies made by them but they keep doing them instead of doing a sequel of something better.

Judging by merchandise sales stated by posts in this thread, it's their cashcow that helps to fund the good movies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

From what a Disney dude told me, Cars prints mad money.
It makes hella money from merchandising and licencing so it makes sense to do a sequel.

Still, #RIP Lighting McQueen

Certinty

This. One of their best, up there with the Trinity (Wall-E, Up and Toy Story 3).

Also, wasn't Dory pretty good?
I haven't seen it since I never cared for Finding Nemo
Finding Dory was meh, should have never been made. Nemo in it is utterly terrible too.

Since Toy Story 3 Pixar haven't produced anything great besides Inside Out. Brave and the others were okay at best.

Salsa

well they're smart. this is the one series that's panned by most fans that are not 12 year olds buying toys so it makes sense they'd do some soul searching

WillyFive

Intriguing trailer. I know they won't do it, but it would be cool if they had human drivers this time around just to go crazy.

1. They are good movies (the first one is excellent, even).

2. They are John Lasseter's baby.

3. They are probably among the biggest and most succesful IP Disney has ever made, ever. Which is saying something.

jett

D-Member
Cars 1 was okay, but Cars 2 is the most low-brow shit Pixar has ever made. It's Disney direct-to-video sequel tier. I guess it's not trash, but it's strictly a toddlers-only affair.

Cars merchandise sells a lot. A LOT.

A lot.

Osahi

Also, wasn't Dory pretty good?
I haven't seen it since I never cared for Finding Nemo

It was fine. Takes a while to get going, but the second half is great fun imo. It also strikes some beautiful themes about raising kids with (mental) disabilities. (Apart from amnesia, Dory seems to suffer from adhd).

Not Pixars best, but a better sequel than for instance Monsters U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom