• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carson: Trump's kids grew up disadvantaged because they were rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

Retired neurosurgeon and ace Donald Trump surrogate Ben Carson made the argument Thursday that the GOP nominee's children grew up "disadvantaged" because they were wealthy.

In an interview with Fox News' Greta Van Susteren, Carson said that he admires Trump because he started with just a million dollars and grew his fortune from there.

"You don't go from having a million-dollar loan to becoming a billionaire in New York City without being very smart," Carson said. "But, also, he thinks deeply."

But, Carson said it that very wealth was a weight on the Trump children.

"You know, all of the Trump children are absolutely delightful people," Carson said. "And I think that speaks volumes about the man. Anybody who can raise children, particularly in the environment they came up in which I think is a disadvantaged environment, because I know a lot of people very rich and their kids are so spoiled, and I think it's a disadvantage."

Carson said Trump will show those who may not have a million dollars starting out with themselves that there is a way to stop being "dependent."

"I think they go to the Democrats because they feel they don't have any place to go," he said. "I think this — a Trump administration—is going to show them that there is a different way. And a way out of dependency."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ben-carson-trump-kids-disadvantaged-wealth

Carson always finds a way to say something amazingly stupid.

Mr. X

I didn't realize it was so hard for rich white people to raise children :(

So glad his kids ended up with such great jobs at their father's businesses, shows how independent they are.

JordanN

Banned
We all know how hard it is for rich white kids these days.

When rich kids show up for a job interview or want to attend the most expensive university, they get turned down.

It's tough being rich and white.
violin-011.gif

E92 M3

He makes sense, I know plenty of wealthy families with useless offspring. Money can corrupt the youth easily.

Paz

Absolutely serious question:

How do you get through to someone who hears something like this and thinks "Yeah, he's right"?

Is it even possible?

He makes sense, I know plenty of wealthy families with useless offspring. Money can corrupt the youth easily.

Do you honestly believe that growing up as an ultra rich person (even ignoring that they are white) puts you at a disadvantage compared to growing up as a regular poor person?

Double edit - More people chiming in accepting the idea that being ultra rich puts you at a disadvantage and I can't even anymore, I just can't. There is NOT a good point being made here, you are not less likely to be a good person because you are rich. Disadvantage implies you are worse off compared to the norm, yes there are things rich people deal with that poor people don't but they are not disadvantaged.

Monocle

You know, being rich can be very isolating. It's hard to find true friends who like you for you, and not your assets!

Also, being rich comes with loads of responsibility. Everyone's always expecting you to donate to this charity, or support that cause. Not to mention the pressure of creating jobs for the thousands of people who make more money for you. Talk about stressful!

Also, there's such a thing as a life that's too easy. How do you build character when you never have to worry about making rent or coping with a surprise medical bill? To be rich is to be plagued by adversity. It's immensely distressing to have the non-rich constantly dangling their moral superiority over your head!

Also, when you can have and do everything, you tend to get tired of stuff. Poor people are more likely to appreciate the small things, you know? It's hard to be rich when poor people are having way more fun than you are!

Also, as an ultra-rich person there's basically nothing to stop you from developing a serious drug habit. Being rich is a health risk!

Also, people who are not wealthy often scorn, envy, and distrust the rich. Rich people experience bigotry everywhere they go!

In many ways, rich people have the hardest lives of all.

Rich folk deal with problems, too. I mean, on one hand, who are your friends? Only people like you.

I'd say it's a disadvantage. If they ever, against all odds, wanted to do something on their own, stepping out of the shadow of their father, then their name is more important than they are.

But even though it's a disadvantage, it's nowhere near as bad as growing up with a single parent, unable to eat every day, in a leaky apartment by train tracks, where your neighbors are killed in drive-bys, domestic murder attempts, or drug abuse.

This isn't the oppression olympics, but if we want to use a scale, their disadvantage is so infinitesimal that we could simply not bother including them on the scale and it'd fall within margin of error.

watershed

Banned
Being rich is not a disadvantage. Period.

Carson is trying to talk about affluenza which is really just having shitty parents and a bad support system while being rich. But the being rich part isn't the problem. It's the shitty parents and bad support system which are both bad things no matter how much money you have.

yeah but i wouldn't call it a disadvantage, if you have shitty parents you have shitty parents no matter what but it's still way better than shitty broke parents. Childhood friend of mine was super rich and had everything but their parents barely looked at him because they were busy all the time so he was home alone all day, he didn't turn out alright at all and died a few years back with a drug overdose.

Other super rich guy i know turned out alright because his parents gave a shit.

Slayven

Yes you can have problems when you are rich, but they has the best tools to solve those problems.

Money and time

Kusagari

There's tons of poor people with useless offspring as well. Shitty parents exist across the wealth spectrum.

It's basically one of the only ways you can actually legitimately praise Trump, since his kids didn't end up worthless reality stars, so Republicans seem to be going out of their way to make as big a deal of it as possible.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Can I trade the longer lifespan, higher education level, better career prospects and cross-generational wealth for that disadvantage, please?

Sblargh

Banned
I agree with him and I think we can all agree that the solution to stop this evil is a vast ammount of state-led income redistribution, so no child should be forced to live in extreme wealth.

TS-08

I guess he's trying to say it's a disadvantage in building good character...? I dunno. :/

He is. Describing it as a disadvantage is stupid, but what he is saying is they could easily be spoiled, lazy, and dumb, but they all seem to be the opposite.

I feel bad for rich people. They are susceptible to affluenza, minor back pain from gardening, fuckface fever, tennis elbow, stenchmouth, atrophy, and even old age.

Mr. X

He is. Describing it as a disadvantage is stupid, but what he is saying is they could easily be spoiled, lazy, and dumb, but they all seem to be the opposite.

That's not unique or a predominately wealthy person problem

They're not wrong. If trump was a good parent, he would have abandoned them in the forest by no later than the age of 5, so that they wouldn't have had to deal with the harsh life of a rich white kid.

Galang

Banned
Disadvantage is the wrong word here. Being rich doesn't mean you'll have a happy perfect life or people you can talk to, but it's a fucking huge advantage. You can afford to fail many times, move virtually anywhere and go to school as often as you'd like. Most people don't have the chance for many do-overs.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Well, he's right. Growing up rich frequently makes you spoiled. They were disadvantaged in that sense.

Framing it as being disadvantaged is insensitive to what the term usually implies, however. The article should read, as according to Carson's point of view: "Trump's kids turned out very well for growing up in an environment where they were likely to turn out as spoiled and incompetent jerks." That wouldn't make a very flattering headline, though.

Exile20

His kids did grow up disadvantaged, not because of being rich but because of having Donald as a father. Those poor kids.

Wow. He's actually saying that being a rich child is a disadvantage. Carson has always struck me as someone who actually believes that insanity he spouts, too.

So glad I didn't have to grow up in such a troubled environment. Really happy that I was raised in the nurturing, protective environment I did of dreading medical bills that could bankrupt my family and saddling myself with crippling student debt for school. Really dodged a bullet in my childhood.

mclem

It's incredible. He casually mentions the million dollars and implies it has absolutely no bearing on Trump's lack of 'dependency'.

Framing it as being disadvantaged is insensitive to what the term usually implies, however. The article should read, as according to Carson's point of view: "Trump's kids turned out very well for growing up in an environment where they were likely to turn out as spoiled and incompetent jerks." That wouldn't make a very flattering headline, though.

yeah saying that they stayed grounded and hard working despite being able to afford everything since they were born is a much better way of saying what he tried to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom