• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cartoons that were good yet canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm still burned by two cartoons that were so good yet canceled - Swat Kats and Road Rovers. The former was canceled because Ted Turner said it was too violent, and Road Rovers was canceled because a) lack of educational material (!) and b) the Russian song.

;_;

Ren & Stimpy wasn't canceled as much as it....changed creative(or in this case, 'uncreative') hands. It's inevitable end was akin to putting down your long-suffering beloved pet.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Please do remember that canceled=/=ended.

Zoe said:
I remember being so pissed whenever it was the crappy series shown rather than the good series.

Agreed. I'm annoyed that they use the good one for commercials... commercials that show the timeslot for the retarded ones (Adventures and Underground).

Enk

makes good threads.
Inhumanoids

o_inhumanoidslogo.jpg

and their amazing toy line:

dcompose.jpg

;-(

The first 2 years of Adult Swim were varied and intelligent.

Mission Hill was a fine program.

That's all I'll say positive regarding AS, so lets leave it at that.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Was Clone High cancelled? I just remembered that a little while ago as being quite hilarious.

Darko

SonicMegaDrive said:
Ren & Stimpy wasn't canceled as much as it....changed creative(or in this case, 'uncreative') hands. It's inevitable end was akin to putting down your long-suffering beloved pet.

Wasnt it cancelled on Spike?

Darko said:
Wasnt it cancelled on Spike?

Yeah, The Ren & Stimpy Adult Cartoon Party. Spike canceled their whole block after it's ratings floundered. I think Janet Jackson's nipple also had something to do with it.

I'm one of the few who seems to actually enjoy it, even though it lakced that 60's Bullwinkle Show/Variety Show/Saturday Morning Cartoon/Kid's Cereal vibe that the original series had.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
There is really only one answer which is appropriate here:

6a00c225264172549d00f48ceedcac0002-500pi

viakado said:
duck tails. :(

woohoo....

It ran for 4 seasons. That's 2 more than any other Disney show ever made. So it did pretty well for itself. Besides, Darkwing Duck was more or less it's replacement, and it did have that movie that ended it with a bang.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Critic

Life with Louie (FOX Saturday morning cartoon based on Louie Anderson's life as a child--surprisingly funny)

Bobby's World

SonicMegaDrive said:
It ran for 4 seasons. That's 2 more than any other Disney show ever made. So it did pretty well for itself. Besides, Darkwing Duck was more or less it's replacement, and it did have that movie that ended it with a bang.
and yet we have a shit of a series in King of the hill still running.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Undeux said:
The Critic. Loved that show.
Oh, that's a good one. Mission Hill too.

And fuck them for canceling Swat Kats, and especially Sonic. It left off on a cliffhanger.

birdman

SonicMegaDrive said:

Blame John Kricfalusi for being one of the worst workers in show business.

viakado said:
and yet we have a shit of a series in King of the hill still running.

Well, I won't delve into the quality of King of the Hill. However, I will say that there is a difference between the two shows. Even though Duck Tales was a great success for Disney, it's death was inevitable for one reason: syndication.

King of the Hill was a network funded television show, so as long as it got good ratings, FOX was always going to renew it. If the Simpsons had been a syndicated show, I doubt it would have lasted 1/8th as long as it has.

DuckTales was a part of a 2 hour-long syndication package, and once the show became the oldest show running on the block, it had to go in favor of newer, more potentially-profitable programs.

Two shows that lasted forever were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Garfield and Friends. Those shows lasted for 7 or 8 years or longer. Why? Because they aired on CBS Saturday Mornings on a dedicated network block instead of syndication.

That's the sad reality of syndicated television.

GDGF said:
Mission Hill. I loved that cartoon. It lasted, what, eight or nine episodes?

It lasted 13. It's a shame it didn't get a chance. The writers plan for the show sounded pretty great, where Andy gets a new job every couple of episodes and slowly works his way up to being a successful cartoonist. I don't know too many cartoons that had continuity between episodes.

I'm going to add Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law and The Critic to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom