• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cases where a game is completed but never released

sixdaysinfallujah_2.jpg

Atomic Games' controversial shooter Six Days in Fallujah is ready to roll out.

A source close to the game's development confirmed to IGN this morning the title is still planned for release, though no expected release date or publisher was named.

"I can promise you that game is still coming out and it is finished," the source said.

Source

Korigama

This is quite an interesting topic, but kinda disappointing if people are just listing games. The interesting part is why it wasn't released and what happened to it, not just "name of game."

Does anyone know the story behind the game they posted?
A few weeks before shipping, the game was cancelled by EA because they didn't want to "publish such a senselessly violent game", as they felt that it would harm their image. They also stated that they deemed the game so offensive that they would not even attempt to sell the game to be released by another publisher either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrill_Kill#History_and_controversy

D-e-f-

Banned
Allegedly, Rogue Squadron IV for the Wii.

Not sure how true that is, though.

I highly doubt that game was "completed" before it got canned. This is not about canceled games but games that were basically done and ready and then sent to the grave for some usually weird/crazy reason.

Why is that? Planes flying through a large city? I don't recall car/truck bombings having an impact on games like GTA or Driver.. or hell, even car combat games.

I think the difference between random car bombings and freakin' 9/11 is pretty obvious.

Shiggy

Innergy/Ozen ... was finished last spring, then ported to iOS and Android at the end of the year. Not sure whether Ubisoft is ever going to release it - the quality was there. With the heavy reliance on Facebook, they may need to do some adjustments should this ever see a release.

37fj93.jpg

0hijhd.jpg

2ivjnn.jpg

With the pretty funny minigame "Stress Invaders"
1bhkdb.jpg

(Don't sue me for posting these, Ubi ;))

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I highly doubt that game was "completed" before it got canned. This is not about canceled games but games that were basically done and ready and then sent to the grave for some usually weird/crazy reason.

I know. I'm fairly sure I read on GAF a few years back that Rogue Squadron IV was done and Lucasarts was just sitting on it. It even started showing up in retailer's systems.

Pudge

Why is that? Planes flying through a large city? I don't recall car/truck bombings having an impact on games like GTA or Driver.. or hell, even car combat games.

EVERYTHING that had aircrafts and explosions was censored after 9/11. They took Mobile Suit Gundam off Toonami. They recut Spider-Man trailers. People were extremely on edge.

EXGN

Disaster Report 4 (a semi-realistic game where you survive series of natural disasters) was supposed to come out like the week after the Japanese earthquake/tsunami hit and IREM canceled it as a result. Really bummed because while the games were never STELLAR, they were pretty fun and unique.

Still wish IREM released it and just donated proceeds to charities if they were that concerned about offending anyone.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUTRkHjwtyc

Shiggy

I know. I'm fairly sure I read on GAF a few years back that Rogue Squadron IV was done and Lucasarts was just sitting on it. It even started showing up in retailer's systems.

It was a Wie port of the trilogy. Their other Wii title was also supposed to be far along.

Under the category of "almosts"...Racing Gears was done for well over a year before it shipped. I want to say more like 2 years, but I'd have to go look at the exact timing.

There were some bug fixes and minor changes wayyyyy late but it could have shipped much, much earlier if Orbital had a publisher at the time.

Het_Nkik

This is quite an interesting topic, but kinda disappointing if people are just listing games. The interesting part is why it wasn't released and what happened to it, not just "name of game."

Does anyone know the story behind the game they posted?

I don't know about Nightmare Busters, but in the case of Final Fantasy II for NES, it was just way too late in the system's life.

Final Fantasy I came out in 1987 in Japan but it didn't get a US release till 1990. So they started working on localizing Final Fantasy II right after that but by that time the SNES was about to come out or was already out, and Final Fantasy IV was already a thing in Japan. So rather than finishing the localization of FFII for NES, they opted to work on localizing FFIV and renamed it FFII for the US market.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Counter-Strike Condition-Zero, Circa 2003. I received two review copies, but then...

After declaring the game gold and handing out review copies of Ritual's work, Valve saw an average review score of around 60%. The companies retracted the gold status and work on Condition Zero was essentially begun again. Ritual's share of development was dropped, and development was given over to the relatively young Turtle Rock Studios, who easily restarted where Gearbox left off. They developed an updated bot AI that was beta tested in Counter-Strike 1.6 before release. The final game contained a version mirroring Gearbox's version, along with 12 missions recovered from Ritual's single-player portion, called Deleted Scenes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Condition_Zero

Proof:

Pretty much this, the game was cancelled mostly because of this level:

Propeller_Arena.jpg

Where you could fly a plane directly into a building. The game was pretty finished and so close to being released, but it was cancelled just days after 9/11.

Another game that got edited do to 9/11 was Max Payne. There were images of the twin towers in a few different graphic novel cutscenes that they removed just before launch.

Pretty much this, the game was cancelled mostly because of this level:

Where you could fly a plane directly into a building. The game was pretty finished and so close to being release, but it was cancelled just days after 9/11.

Another game that got edited do to 9/11 was Max Payne. There were images of the twin towers in a few different graphic novel cutscenes that they removed just before launch.

Also MGS2.

I used to own Thrill Kill, I still have it I think. It was okay-ish. Watched the endings from youtube just now and it's pretty sick. Belladonnas victory animation has stuck into my mind even after all these years ._.

wondermega

Bonx Racing by Ubi for GBA, which I believe was also called Speed Demon at some point perhaps (all I have for proof is an E3 sticker from 2001!)

This game got reviewed favorably by several websites years ago, but was so low-profile that no one noticed when it never actually released. Which is a shame because it's got a nice style and looks quite fun considering the description.

IGN preview

bonxra10.gif

bonxra17.gif

bonxra18.gif

something I would jump on in a second if they decided to release for 3DS, which of course will never happen

Loofy

Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans had been in development for over a year: nearly all features, puzzles, and areas were in place, the voice acting had been recorded, and much of the animation was complete, yet Blizzard was not confident with their title.
Warcraft-adventures-boxart.jpg

jvm

Gamasutra.
Was Titan AE (PS1) completed? I have a demo disc released for it, but I don't think the final game was ever released.

noquarter

I am pretty sure that the "plane" in GTA III was turned into the Dodo because of 9-11. You were going to be able to fly it, but after that the made it really difficult to fly.

Resident Evil for the gameboy color, canned before release. One of the developers put one of the only ROMs for the game in existence up for sale a while back for like $5000 or something.

Well 9/11 itself had an impact on GTA3, they clipped the Dodo planes wings after 9/11, that's why it's still flyable....but shouldn't be. Coz it was a rush job at the end to stop it flying so people couldn't mock 9/11. This is also the reason there's no planes in GTA4.
Hell, Take2 even changed the US cover of GTA3 so it would be more 9/11 friendly...which in turn led to one of most iconic things about the series being created.

Andrew.

Banned
california%20raisins.jpg

Only bootlegs. I got one. It sucked hard. It was even reviewed in the old Game Players magazine back in the late late 80s-early 90s too.

Final Fantasy III (NES) never got released in the West even though it was fully translated. Only one original cartridge exists and it was up on eBay as few months back.

Mother also never got released in the West even though it was fully translated either, it also had a 'run' command that sped up the entire game by 2x instead of speeding just you up 2x.

Weren't most of the original assets for it retooled into EX Troopers anyway?

That was the rumor and judging by comparing the assets released for the two games seems very very likely.

As for other games canceled just prior to release... Dinosaur Planet on N64 was more or less complete, and there is a copy of it floating around somewhere. (the game that would eventually become Star Fox Adventures)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOVBRJToVDY

VariantX

I recall that there was a 3DS launch game that got cancelled by EA before launch that was basically done. Something to do with gardening.

Slygmous

Chimera Beast - a nice little arcade shmup where you play as a monster that can evolve depending on what you kill. Has funky music. I'd post pictures but its awkward on the phone.
No idea why it wasn't released anywhere, but it can be found on the net and works in MAME.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
EA Replay 2 for PSP
EA Create for iOS

I think Medal of Honor 2010 iOS and Populous iOS were done before they were cancelled, but I'm not entirely sure. FWIW, Fear Effect 3 was 90% complete when it was cancelled.

Top Bottom