• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cast of scifi series SENSE8 revealed (Naveen Andrews, Daryll Hannan, Doona Bae, more)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sense8, is a 2015 Netflix series that is currently shooting. It is created, written and directed by The Wachowskis (of The Matrix Trilogy fame) and J. Michael Straczynski (of Babylon 5 fame) and will shoot in 8 different countries with a pre-planned arc of 5 seasons. edit: I should mention the cast has signed for all 5 Seasons of the show (should they be made).

The cast was reported in the other thread, but "new thread for new news".

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/netflix-wachowski-series-sense8-cast-naveen-andrews-darryl-hannah/

1s5k94.jpg

2e8k7t.jpg

brian-j-smith2z5jp1.jpg

4mkja8.jpg

3q7jyv.jpg

Lost alum Naveen Andrews, Daryl Hannah and Stargate Universe‘s Brian J. Smith are among the 14-member international cast of Sense8, Netflix‘s 10-episode sci-fi drama series from the Wachowskis and J. Michael Straczynski. Also cast in the show, expected to debut next year, are British actors Tuppence Middleton, who appears in Wachowskis’ upcoming film Jupiter Ascending; British actors Aml Ameen (The Maze Runner, Lee Daniels’ The Butler) and Freema Agyeman (Doctor Who, Torchwood), Indian actress Tena Desae, South Korean actress Doona Bae, German actor Max Riemelt, Mexican actors Alfonso Herrera and Erendira Ibarra as well as Jamie Clayton, Miguel Silvestre and Terrence Mann.

As for the plot:

“The series follows eight characters around the world who, in the aftermath of a tragic death, find themselves linked to each other mentally and emotionally,” he told Deadline. “They can not only see and talk to each other as though they were in the same place, they have access to each other’s deepest secrets. Not only must they figure out what happened and why and what it means for the future of humanity, they must do so while being hunted by an organization out to capture, kill or vivisect them.”

edit Meet the 8 of SENSE8 in sexy, maybe, where applicable, poses:

Jamie Clayton as Nomi, a transgender American blogger, basically Lana Wachowski's alter ego. The actress is transgender herself.

jamiezlkk5.jpg

Doona Bae as Sun, a Korean businesswoman.

tumblr_mm0d01tsxy1rcomusin.jpg

Max Riemelt as Wolfgang, a German safe-cracker.

maxk1jtj.jpg

Tuppence Middleton as Riley, an Icelandic party girl.

87862229mojjd.jpg

Tena Desae as Kala, an Indian woman working for a pharmaceutical company.

tena-desae-at-table-2xskhf.jpg

Aml Ameen as Capheus, an African bus driver.

aml-ameen2f7kj0.jpg

Brian J. Smith as Will, a Chicago cop.

brwgkyf.jpg

Miguel Silvestre as Lito, a closeted Mexican telenovela hunk.

miguelangelsilvestre1mjjy.jpg

All 8 of them are the exact same age, for plot reasons.

I hope they get the means to pull off their crazy ambitious series. Glad to see some actors from outside Hollywood and Europe, I remember Erandira Ibarra from HBO South America's Cappadocia where her storyline was incredibly heartbreaking.

TNCZ2ry.jpg

I should mention the cast has signed for all 5 Seasons of the show (should they be made).

And I put a picture of Stargate Universe's Brian J. Smith in the OP as well.

Meet the 8 of SENSE8 in sexy, maybe, where applicable, poses:

Jamie Clayton as "a transgender American blogger", basically Lana Wachowski's alter ego. The actress is transgender herself.

jamiezlkk5.jpg

Doona Bae as "a Korean businesswoman".

tumblr_mm0d01tsxy1rcomusin.jpg

Max Riemelt as "a German safe-cracker".

maxk1jtj.jpg

Tuppence Middleton as "an Icelandic party girl" I guess?

87862229mojjd.jpg

Tena Desae as ?

tena-desae-at-table-2xskhf.jpg

Aml Ameen as "an African bus driver" or "Jonas, an apparently magic African-American who appears to all of the “visionaries,”"?

aml-ameen2f7kj0.jpg

Brian J. Smith as "his evil counterpart, Mr. Whispers"?

brwgkyf.jpg

Miguel Silvestre as "a closeted Mexican telenovela hunk"

miguelangelsilvestre1mjjy.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've heard is a complete MESS of a show, but I'm in for Naveen.

Also, Martha Jones AND Tuppence Middleton? Mmm... I guess I could make arrangements.

I hope they get the means to pull off their crazy ambitious series. Glad to see some actors from outside Hollywood and Europe, I remember Erandira Ibarra from HBO South America's Cappadocia where her storyline was incredibly heartbreaking.

TNCZ2ry.jpg

I recently read that JMS said they had been trying to make it for a while but it wasn't even technologically possible:

JMS said:
We'd tried it before but the show was way ahead of the technology and the ambition of the networks; now at last we can do it.

Tucah

you speak so well
Nothing I've read yet has sold me on it but I'll still give it a shot. The world could always use more good sci-fi.

ivysaur12

Banned
Sounds awful.

The script certainly didn't inspire confidence that this will be anything more than a pretentious mess :-/

Hated it. The worst type of television -- hollow art that really wants you think it Means Something without any substance or pathos. It's just a bunch of cliches thrown together.

Jarmel

Banned
The script certainly didn't inspire confidence that this will be anything more than a pretentious mess :-/

Hated it. The worst type of television -- hollow art that really wants you think it Means Something without any substance or pathos. It's just a bunch of cliches thrown together.

Well that's worrying.

Multi-ethnic and international characters, that's always a nice thing. Let's just hope they don't fall on too many stereotypes though.

The Wachowskis are pretty cool.

butalala

I hope Naveen's character spends all of his time untangling wires, defusing bombs and jerry-rigging electronics out of old junk. That was my favorite aspect of Sayid.

Does anyone else think it's boring and a little condescending that sci fi shows keep using the same actors? Remember when Helo showed up in like three genre shows post BSG? Tricia Helfer is doing the same thing. Make a good show with good actors and it doesn't matter if we remember them from our previous favorite shows. (Good on the actors for keeping in work though. I understand that they're probably the kind of stars that need to work to eat).

ivysaur12

Banned
So basically the equivalent of a pilot? You might still like it then. :p

Now, does the transwoman's name begins with an L, like Lana's? That's what a little bird told me. PMs are accepted.

I've read good pilots. This was not one.

Multi-ethnic and international characters, that's always a nice thing. Let's just hope they don't fall on too many stereotypes though.

The Wachowskis are pretty cool.

We meat the Korean woman as she's doing Tai Chi on a roof as the sun rises above her.

I've read good pilots. This was not one.

But we covered this already. You would have provided a counterpoint to my "you might still like it" post if you had replied "I've read bad pilots. None of them ever translated to a good show." instead of reiterating that you didn't like #1 out of the 10 scripts of the season. ;P

Well, Cloud Atlas got a lot of criticism along those lines, and I loved it despite its (very significant) flaws, so I'm hopeful that this will turn out similarly. But not sold. Either way, I fully expect a pretty divided reaction.

Please don't be bad. :(

Fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom