• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cast of scifi series SENSE8 revealed (Naveen Andrews, Daryll Hannan, Doona Bae, more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

There has been a ton of bad sci-fi shows coming out in recent years and this one sounds like it won't be any better. I'll wait for reviews and impressions but as of now, I'm not even interested.

There has been a ton of bad sci-fi shows coming out in recent years and this one sounds like it won't be any better. I'll wait for reviews and impressions but as of now, I'm not even interested.

Sometimes I wonder if they are purpously bad due to certain CEOs of major broadcasters having a known hatred of the genre.

"Here's you shit, piggies. Eat it up"

The script certainly didn't inspire confidence that this will be anything more than a pretentious mess :-/

Hated it. The worst type of television -- hollow art that really wants you think it Means Something without any substance or pathos. It's just a bunch of cliches thrown together.

:(

If I didn't often agree you Ivysaur I would really just stubbornly assume you were wrong. Unfortunately you seems to always be on the ball with this and have similar tastes to mine.

At least I know to set my expectations low.

Kevin

Sometimes I wonder if they are purpously bad due to certain CEOs of major broadcasters having a known hatred of the genre.

"Here's you shit, piggies. Eat it up"

I wouldn't think Netflix would want to do that though as creating tv shows is still new territory for them but man all things sci-fi just seems low budget and boring these days. They are almost all:

A. Post Apocalyptic
B. Something happens to someone giving them a weird power or connection to others.

It's like the same stuff over and over again.

The script certainly didn't inspire confidence that this will be anything more than a pretentious mess :-/

Hated it. The worst type of television -- hollow art that really wants you think it Means Something without any substance or pathos. It's just a bunch of cliches thrown together.

Well, I'm out.

I wouldn't think Netflix would want to do that though as creating tv shows is still new territory for them but man all things sci-fi just seems low budget and boring these days. They are almost all:

A. Post Apocalyptic
B. Something happens to someone giving them a weird power or connection to others.

It's like the same stuff over and over again.

JMS said it's going to be unlike anything that's been on TV before and that's why they are keeping the details under wraps; they are afraid they are going to be copied.

http://www.webpronews.com/netflixs-sense8-hopes-to-do-for-tv-what-the-matrix-did-for-film-2013-09

“We’re gonna have five different units shooting at the same time to tell the story, and it’s gonna be ridiculously huge, and the cool thing about working with the Wachowskis…when they did The Matrix, they didn’t want to do a show like anything else they’d ever seen before, and The Matrix created a whole new cinema language. And they said, ‘If we’re gonna do television, then we have to do the same thing. We have to create a whole new vocabulary for television production…for television, which you can do in TV. And so coming into this, working with them, we’re pioneering some new techniques and new approaches in television storytelling. It’s quite extraordinary.”

He said he wouldn’t go much beyond that in terms of the plot, because “they like to keep things very close to the vest,” and he supports that. He says that’s why there isn’t much online about the story.

“What we’re doing is really kind of new and innovative,” he said, adding that he didn’t want to have someone else eat their lunch.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52636

This is, without exaggeration, the single biggest project I've ever been involved with since I started writing at age 17. The scale is ridiculous. I'll also be helming the London and Iceland sequences as director, which is fun and scary and exciting.

We're doing a very grounded series, a very realistic story despite the fantastical elements, and working very hard to be true to the cultures in which we are setting our action. The countries we're shooting in aren't just backdrops to our story, they're a part of that story in a deeper and more profound way than has really ever been done for American TV. Circling back at this from working in movies, none of us who are involved in this wanted to do a TV show just for the sake of doing a TV show. If we couldn't do something that nobody had done before, we didn't want to do it. And that's exactly what we've created here.

Few days old article: http://missionlocal.org/2014/06/wachowskis-filming-in-clarion-alley-for-new-series/

washowski-clarion-allhvsgv.jpg

Filming took place on Clarion Alley because the Wachowskis are interested in capturing some of San Francisco’s most famous locations. “They love this city and want to show all of its landmarks,” a producer said.

Nothing as exciting as the motorcycle stunt scene from yesterday; amid a crowd of crew members, Wachowski filmed two actors walking up and down the alley. “It’s a small dialogue scene,” said the same producer.

Unfortunately we don't know who the actors were.

Some other small stuff from twitter:

https://twitter.com/sfben/status/481135509725396992

"Flower stand to be toppled in a chase scene? #Sense8 pic.twitter.com/qL3TTEXGnB"

https://twitter.com/cameo/status/481172106848137219

"Serious car chase on the sense8 set today. Whee!"

https://twitter.com/thorendor/status/481081726177771520/photo/1

"#sense8 is filming in the #castro this morning. Wonder if it will have a gay angle? #netflix pic.twitter.com/hlAZTGX3ps"

https://twitter.com/JoeMazzaPhoto/status/481112445650755585

"Working all week shooting B-Roll footage of San Francisco for a new Netflix series, "Sense8" which as been... http://fb.me/6UpTtpUjZ"

https://twitter.com/cameo/status/481110815525699584

"The Wachowski siblings are outside my house filming sense8. pic.twitter.com/RtJMau6Qdf"

ivysaur12

Banned
But we covered this already. You would have provided a counterpoint to my "you might still like it" post if you had replied "I've read bad pilots. None of them ever translated to a good show." instead of reiterating that you didn't like #1 out of the 10 scripts of the season. ;P

There are very good ideas that have mediocre scripts that be turned around with good actors and directors. Sure, the final product could surprise -- but there are too many fundamental issues with the script and premise of the series to inspire confidence.

It's a series of cliches and hollow characters with some of the most pretentious prose I've read in a such a long time. Maybe it'll turn out good. And you're clearly hyped. But seriously, temper your expectations.

JMS said it's going to be unlike anything that's been on TV before and that's why they are keeping the details under wraps; they are afraid they are going to be copied.

http://www.webpronews.com/netflixs-sense8-hopes-to-do-for-tv-what-the-matrix-did-for-film-2013-09

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52636

Here's the show: it's shitty Heroes with a Magic Negro, a villain named Mr. Whispers, a maybe angel, and 8 people that probably have to stop the apocalypse. That's it. Those shows are dime a dozen, and the script was worse than the similarly-themed The Messengers on the CW (which itself wasn't that great)

ivysaur12 STAHP.

By your own admission you read the first of the ten scripts that might or might not have been revised since then and you believe you know what the whole show is about.

JMS said each episode will focus on and develop one of the 8 characters, pretty much like LOST did, and you are like "they are all terrible stereotypes" but you wouldn't be able to tell.

Blader

:lol

People can cite Babylon 5 all they want, but the last decade or so of his comics output is reason enough for me to never care about any sentence that follows "JMS said."

ivysaur12

Banned
ivysaur12 STAHP.

By your own admission you read the first of the ten scripts that might or might not have been revised since then and you believe you know what the whole show is about.

JMS said each episode will focus on and develop one of the 8 characters, pretty much like LOST did, and you are like "they are all terrible stereotypes" but you wouldn't be able to tell.

Oh boy.

I get that you're hyped. I mean:

nVQAs0a.png

But seriously, it's not like anything else on television, at least nothing in the pilot that would make you think that this was anything more than a bad Heroes or Lost. Or, damn, even The Messengers. Sure, it could turn out well, but I can count on one hand the pilots that I've read that have turned out better than they did on page (usually, it's the other way around).

This is just my opinion on the project's pilot. But it's also been getting a fairly tepid response since the pilot start to circulate, because the general consensus is that it's not very good.

I seriously contemplated just copying the first three paragraphs of the script so you could see how pretentious and silly it is. I can't describe how frustrating this type of script is because there are a million better versions of it that haven't been made yet (and a lot that have!). Great, it'll focus on one character per episode for a show about people who are connected for a greater cause. I've never seen that before.

If they're really worried about this show being stolen, they probably should've checked the ideas they copied from better shows. No one is creating anything original and we're all just borrowing from Homer. But don't pretend that what you're doing is Truly High Art of Importance.

looks like angular is working on the show...

That's silly. NotTheGuyYouKill is not working on Ant-Man despite having posted 6(?) threads about it, including one about generating pre-release (not to mention even pre-production!) hype; he is just a fan of either the concept or the people behind it or both.

Anyway I am not an American (nor German, Icelander, Korean, etc - the countries where Sense8's production will go) and the mods can verify this by looking at my IP, so the production team wouldn't really need me! Just a fan.

Details:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=654484487961768&id=631064696970414

Currently working on a new T.V. Series called Sense8. We placed several frames on the following actors:
Jamie Clayton playing the role of Nomi- Penguin "The Vargas" TO
Naveen Andrews playing the role of Jonas- Penguin "The Meteor" SI
Tuppence Middleton playing the role of Riley- Penguin "The Hamilton" YG & Lafont Fauve 2016

CASTING LEAK? Naveen Andrews cast as "Jonas?"

On June 10th, industry staple Image Optics in Van Nuys California reported via their Facebook page some recent product placement they have done for the Sense8 project. Beside noting which actors came in for their de rigeur cool sunglasses fitting for a Wachowski project, they also listed the parts assigned to those actors.

According to Image Optics, Naveen Andrews was fitted with a pair of Penguin "The Meteor" SI frames, and his role is to be the part of Jonas.

Everything that I have read about Sense8 describes Jonas as an African male character, and a force for good. However, recent script changes have altered the face off of good and evil through the two characters of Jonas and an evil "Mr. Whispers," describing the group of eight strangers as being hunted by an evil organization, rather than individual entities.

Of course, the detail about Naveen's role may not be accurate information. But if Naveen has been cast as Jonas, and this part has been rewritten for Naveen, does this mean Naveen's role will be recurring and central to the plot?
I hope so, the man's a god.

Naveen Andrews is the "Magic Negro" of the show that is supposed to be one of the 8 characters but he is not even a main character. What have I been telling you to chill until character details are released? The script probably underwent through changes since TVLine or ivysaur12 read it.

https://missionlocal.org/2014/06/clarion-alley-artists-cool-with-netflix/

Last week, we implied that the Netflix’s new series filming in the iconic, but often fraught, terrain of Clarion Alley might cause alarm among the alley’s stewards, the Clarion Alley Mural Project (CAMP). Turns out, CAMP has an agreement with the producers of the new Netflix show Sense 8 and they’ll be squarely compensated for artwork appearing on-screen.

According to Megan Wilson, one of CAMP’s artists and organizers, before starting production Netflix’s producers approached the artists whose work they hoped to use as scenic design.
After some persuading, and negotiating a contract, CAMP agreed to let the series directed by the Wachowski siblings, Lana and Andy, use the famed alley.

“Initially we weren’t interested and so we connected them [with the SF Film Commission] to help find another location,” wrote Wilson in an email to Mission Local. “However, they really wanted to work with CAMP so the producers gave us more info and after learning more about the series and negotiating compensation for the artists and CAMP with them through our lawyer, we signed on to work with them.”

Wilson says that CAMP is usually “very selective” about who they collaborate with, but after producers explained that the series will prominently feature a transgender character, the arts non-profit felt like the project would be a good fit with their values and mission.

...some of the most pretentious prose I've read in a such a long time.
Sounds like a JMS show, alright. You just need Bruce Boxleitner to read that shit - he'll make anything sound great. Paste those paragraphs, I want to read that in his voice.

I need to see a trailer of this. Because every synopsis of Sense8 just gives me the impression that this show will be Heroes + LOST + magical science bullshit.

I haven't read any of JMS' work in the comic field, but his work on TV was generally pretty good, so I'm hoping Sense8 works out to be decent somehow.

https://www.facebook.com/AtmosphereCasting/posts/10152160706370811

SENSE8 UPDATE:

We start working on SENSE8 on Mon June 30th. Filming will start on July 10th. I don't have much info on the shoot at this time, other than reading the scripts, I don't have any specifics on the extras yet.

I do know from reading the scripts that we will need prison inmates, military/police/SWAT, street thugs/gang bangers as well as several large crowd scenes.

Stay tuned....more to come in the next few days.

I found a bunch of audition tapes some actors have made for the directors and put them online, I won't link them because they might get taken down, but it's really easy to find them (or shoot me a PM).

edit Some videos of car chases/stunts: http://instagram.com/p/pnHrzPpdYe/ & http://instagram.com/p/pm0nf9rmRF/ The toy cars in the picture above were used to coordinate the action.

Here is Jamie Clayton's character a transwoman American blogger:

10454202_303914099790guj7s.jpg

Pretty!

And here she is with Freema Agyeman's character:

10413122_142776145083ljj58.jpg

edit here is Lana Wachowski as well:

10499128_144665369225dfjl1.jpg

edit Andy as well:

10488646_458564650913ezk8r.jpg

Why so sad brah?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

So... exactly like the Matrix and Babylon 5? :D
That's okay if it gets anywhere close to B5
I gave up in the middle of S3. The only reason I watched so far is because so many people praised it. To this day, I still can't figure out why. It was so bad.

Currently skimming through an early draft of the pilot. I am not familiar with the works of JMS so it feels very Wachowskian to me.

"I can't answer that question because you literally just fucked my brains out." made me :lol

Refined the actor - character match up in the OP, based on my understanding of the script. Which I found rather intriguing and made me looking forward to see how it translates on screen - and what happens next.

It's very sexually explicit and drugs seem that will be a huge part of the show but I guess Netflix is cool about that.

Really? They just couldn't resist the urge to toss in the token magical negro. I seriously wonder how these specific archetypes arise. Like, when someone says "Asian martial artist" I can at least see the stereotypes that motivated it but with black people it's magic...or electricity...where do they even get those ideas?!

Sorry for my mini rant

Really? They just couldn't resist the urge to toss in the token magical negro. I seriously wonder how these specific archetypes arise. Like, when someone says "Asian martial artist" I can at least see the stereotypes that motivated it but with black people it's magic...or electricity...where do they even get those ideas?!

Sorry for my mini rant

In the script the only power the character exhibits is the same one two WHITE characters exhibit, and all 8 will manifest later on (as I understand):
appear out of thin air.

Now a Magical Negro character is also one that comes to aid the white protagonists and he will likely do that; but 3 out of the 8 people (that's almost half!) that this character will likely help are African American, Korean and Indian - not your typical Caucasian heroes.

He's basically the Morpheus of the series, targeted by the police - who are clueless of what's really going on - to capture him, because someone (the equivalent of Agent Smith in The Matrix) is manipulating them to believe he is a terrorist. And Morpheus was a strong character.

morpheus-heathrow1v0joy.jpg

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1STwjUAR-XKLzk-V2Y2zjOekSZeA1Nh0ZgIfS8pem0q0/viewform

SENSE8, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense8), will begin filming in Chicago on Thurs, July 10th. We will be filming for approximately 22 shooting days, ending around August 10th.

I will be doing availability forms in 8 day blocks. This is the first block which will cover the first 8 days of shooting, from Thurs July 10th until Monday July 21st.

I will post subsequent availability forms as we progress through the schedule.

In this first round of availability, we will need POLICE on the 10th and 11th and will possibly need NURSES, DOCTORS on the 15th, 16th and 17th.

To utilize this form, you MUST be currently registered with Atmosphere Casting. We do this to ensure that we have all of your information and pictures on file before we book you. If you just fill out this form and we have no information or pictures of you, we will not book you to work, so please make sure you are registered prior to submitting this form.

If you are not registered and need instructions on how to do so, simply answer "No" on the Eligibility Verification question and you will be taken to a page detailing how to register with us. We recommend updating your registration yearly or if any of your information or look changes.

By submitting your answers to this form, you are stating that you have 100% OPEN AVAILABILITY for all of the shooting dates that you select. This means, if/when we call or email you to work, you will be available.

Submitting responses to this form is not a booking and in no way a guarantee of selection or work.

https://www.facebook.com/AtmosphereCasting/posts/10152170479720811

SENSE8 UPDATE: STAND-INS

We are starting our search for Stand-Ins...

Brian J. Smith "WILL" - 6ft, 40/42R

Naveen Andrews "JONAS" - 5'9"

Freema Agyeman "AMANITA" - 5'3"

Daryl Hannah "ANGEL" - 5'10"

Jamie Clayton "NOMI" - 5'10"

Pictures of the actors are below. The most important thing is a GOOD SKIN TONE/COLOR match with hair color/length being second most important. Height, you can be in the "ballpark"...1" to 2" either direction...but a spot on match works the best.

To submit, send an email to sense8.extras@gmail.com with the character name you are submitting for in the Subject line.

BE sure to ATTACH (2) recent photos, 1 face shot and one full body and include your name, email address, phone number, height, weight and sizes.

I will review submissions and contact those I feel would work. Planning on having interviews at the studio Tues or Weds next week.

I shall update the OP with the character's names now that pretty much all of them have been leaked one way or another. edit: done.

Seems like a big part of the show's appeal is that you (where "you" = people from Chicago, San Francisco, London, Iceland, Seoul, Mumbai, Berlin, Mexico City and Nairobi) have a chance to be in it. https://twitter.com/JoeMazzaPhoto

Working all week shooting B-Roll footage of San Francisco for a new Netflix series, "Sense8" which as been... http://fb.me/6UpTtpUjZ

Will be in the Castro today at 3:00 shooting b roll for a Netflix series. Want to be in a little montage of San Francisco? Come say hi!

Wrapped shooting, B-roll film on a new Netflix series #sense8 written and directed by the #wachowskis So much fun to capture SF for 5 days

FMF
Pride
B-Roll in Castro

and that's only San Francisco.

Cast expands: http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-ex...-up-to-the-cast-of-sense8-for-the-wachowskis/

There’s some great news on the horizon for fans of THE LAST SHIP. We’ve learned that Ness Bautista, who plays Cruz on the TNT action drama, has been added to the cast of the Wachowski’s upcoming Netflix drama SENSE8, where he’ll be featured as a recurring character.

edit according to imdb he is not only an actor, he is also a composer, and composed the music for "The Shield". http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1711011/

The Wachowskis wrapped on San Francisco, moving to Chicago this week to film both on stage and location.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...go-netflix-wachowski-20140707,0,668409.column

The Wachowski siblings are returning this week to Chicago – where they filmed part of their delayed movie “Jupiter Ascending” last summer -- to film part of their new Netflix sci-drama “Sense8.”

Chicago film office director Rich Moskal said “Sense8” is scheduled to begin shooting in Chicago Wednesday and will wrap in the city around August 8. Shooting will take place both on location and at Cinespace Film Studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom