• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (Official Thread of AWESOME) GO! PSP! GO!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Alright. Got 100%. Game sucks. Shelving it, and moving on (or, in this case, back) to FFT. Wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that IGA purposefully sabotaged this game so that he can convince his jobs to allow him to churn out more SotN clones. Hopefully, at least, they'll turn out more like the Sorrow games, and less like HoD or PoR! Cheers.

Red Scarlet

Defuser said:
Save all four maidens and kill Shaft's ghost to get Dracula's third form

Then I'm really confused..is this only in the remake? As I've done those numerous times (I play off my 100% file) and only gotten the forms that also show up in SotN.

Mar

Mejilan said:
Alright. Got 100%. Game sucks. Shelving it, and moving on (or, in this case, back) to FFT. Wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that IGA purposefully sabotaged this game so that he can convince his jobs to allow him to churn out more SotN clones. Hopefully, at least, they'll turn out more like the Sorrow games, and less like HoD or PoR! Cheers.

I'll never understand why people 100% games they hate. The entire concept just seems retarded.

Red Scarlet said:
Then I'm really confused..is this only in the remake? As I've done those numerous times (I play off my 100% file) and only gotten the forms that also show up in SotN.

yeah, new to the remake.

Mar_ said:
I'll never understand why people 100% games they hate. The entire concept just seems retarded.

torture to help them hate it more.

Red Scarlet

Mejilan tends to get 100% in most games he plays, in some cases extremely early on he is beyond overpowered. It's just how he plays. I stopped trying to understand it long ago.

Oh, ok Link. It freaked me out for a bit!

mug

Just got it from Gamefly and I gotta say I'm really not liking it. Although it looks great and I like the presentation, it just feels far too clunky for my tastes. I'm heading back to SOTN and FFT ;(

Defuser

mug said:
Just got it from Gamefly and I gotta say I'm really not liking it. Although it looks great and I like the presentation, it just feels far too clunky for my tastes. I'm heading back to SOTN and FFT ;(
Weaksauce

DAMN IT! Some of you people have already beaten the game, can piss an moan about it on a message board, get into debates over its qualitiy or lack there of and I still don't have my copy.

Is this what it's like to be European?

Bebpo

Banned
Mejilan said:
Hopefully, at least, they'll turn out more like the Sorrow games, and less like HoD or PoR! Cheers.

So uh, you like Pokemonvania?

The only thing the Sorrow games had going for them were grinding enemies to collect all their souls, which was about as fun as watching paint dry.

Narag

Bebpo said:

The only thing the Sorrow games had going for them were grinding enemies to collect all their souls, which was about as fun as watching paint dry.

That and the awesome Julius mode which ended up being my favorite part of both games.

MajestY

As someone who is interested in this mainly for the SOTN portion, is it still worth the purchase?

Note: I still have the original PSone game in my basement somewhere, and I could also just buy the XBLA port for $10. Portability isn't really an issue for me.

duckroll

jaundicejuice said:
DAMN IT! Some of you people have already beaten the game, can piss an moan about it on a message board, get into debates over its qualitiy or lack there of and I still don't have my copy.

Don't feel too bad, I hear the Canadians don't have theirs either. :lol

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Bebpo said:

You REALLY do live up to your tag every single time. Amazing.

Vrolokus

Banned
MajestY said:
As someone who is interested in this mainly for the SOTN portion, is it still worth the purchase?

Note: I still have the original PSone game in my basement somewhere, and I could also just buy the XBLA port for $10. Portability isn't really an issue for me.

In that case, the XBLA version is the better option.

jaundicejuice said:

:( :( :(

I wish I had this game.

Vrolokus

Banned
MajestY said:
Does the widescreen framing of the PSP port enhance the game in any way? That's one thing I wished the XBLA had.

No, not really.

In my estimation, this is the ranking from best to least attractive SOTN option:

1. XBLA, graphic filter, achievements, good emu
2. PS1 version, off the PS store
3. Dracula X version: spotty emu (the sounds effects are weird), disappointing redubbed dialogue, ghosting on PSP's LCD.

Lakupo

Vrolokus said:
3. Dracula X version: spotty emu (the sounds effects are weird), disappointing redubbed dialogue, ghosting on PSP's LCD.

Not only are the sound effects in SotN weird (my best guess is that they were resampled to a higher rate, since they're a bit higher pitched), but all of the games on the disc have a problem with sound mixing. You turn up the music to really appreciate it, and then an ear-piercing "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" when Maria dies in the remake. What's the point of awesome music when the sound effects are twice as loud?

MajestY

Thanks for the feedback on the shoddy SOTN for PSP. I was honestly hoping for an overhaul like Rondo got.

Guess my PSP money will go to Disgaea instead. I'm saddened by the fact of no good CV action on the PSP. The DS games were great.

Lee N

Membre
Just got the game.. what did they do to Requiem (the main menu music) ? :\ They had perfectly good vocals for that in the original and they replaced it with synthetic singing.

Not the best first impression, but we'll see what I think about the game.

This game was doomed from the instant they re-dubbed SOTN.

They probably got sick of reading about how its so terrible and thought hey lets change it, but what they didn't realise was that it had taken on a form of its own, it now lives on in infamy and is bigger than the development team could even dare dream.

Defuser

MajestY said:
Guess my PSP money will go to Disgaea instead. I'm saddened by the fact of no good CV action on the PSP. The DS games were great.
GTFO

Rondo > You. Go back to easy metroidvania games weaksauce.

Vrolokus said:
No, not really.

In my estimation, this is the ranking from best to least attractive SOTN option:

1. XBLA, graphic filter, achievements, good emu
2. PS1 version, off the PS store

correct me if im wrong, but I remember people comparing the PS1/PSN version of SOTN to the XBLA one saying it had better sound and such, I would put that as the ultimate version if true.

however, the best version to play on the PSP (this is between the PSN and DXC versions) is the DXC version.

duckroll

The XBLA version has compressed music and the "graphic filter" is pretty damn ugly. It is by no means whatsoever the best version of anything by any stretch of the imagination. The audio in the DXC version is far superior.

Lee N

Membre
Segata Sanshiro said:
Being from Canadia, I haven't tried the DXC version yet, but in the comparison of XBLA SotN and PS1 SotN, the PS1 version is indeed the champion.
I got my game from Canada - videogamesplus.ca to be more specific. They shipped it thursday last week and it arrived here in Sweden today.

kuYuri

Playing this remake is actually my first time playing an old school CV game. It kicks my ass sometimes, but I'm slowly making progress and I'm starting to see what it was like before Metroidvania made it easy.

I'm disappointed a bit by the emu on SotN and the load times are fucking horrible sometimes (mostly in the menus). But overall, it's a great package for someone who doesn't live in nostalgia like me. :D

Still need to unlock original Rondo...

Median

Lee N said:
I got my game from Canada - videogamesplus.ca to be more specific. They shipped it thursday last week and it arrived here in Sweden today.

Yeah, they had it on their blog that preorders shipped last week. I kinda wish I'd driven to Mississauga to pick it up, but considering the game SHOULD be out around tomorrow, it's not quite worth the effort for me. I guess Videogamesplus might get their stuff from an American supplier, I know a game store near me does the same thing (although they weren't expecting Castlevania until this past Monday).

Lee N

Membre
Segata Sanshiro said:
French instructions, or are they shipping the US version?
Only English instructions this time. It's pretty either-or with VGP though, sometimes I get french instructions, sometimes not.

Do you always get french instructions with games in Canada or does it depend on the game?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mejilan said:
It sucks, huh? Seriously, I could understand being disappointed with aspects of it, but how could you say that it straight up sucks?

jgkspsx

Conrad Link said:
This game was doomed from the instant they re-dubbed SOTN.
No, the SotN port was. I don't know if I'll be able to make it through without the original voices, even with the extra content. It's not much. The new Alucard sucks ass. The new Dracula sucks ass. And the new dialogue has no panache.

Sure the old dialogue was hilariously bad, but it's among the most beloved video game scripts of all time, partly for that reason. That IGA's way too sensitive. "People like it?! NO! I'll show them!"

I'm loving the 2.5D Rondo remake, and shitty emulator or not it's the first time I'll play TD Rondo. For $30, I can't really complain. But the redub is an expensive, pointless, unforced error.

Yeah, so you guys got US versions. Which I would love, but the chains have completely muscled out all the mom-and-pops in Winnipeg, and the chains won't order/sell US versions.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, so you guys got US versions. Which I would love, but the chains have completely muscled out all the mom-and-pops in Winnipeg, and the chains won't order/sell US versions.

Nobody cares about us poor souls in Canada. The guy at EB told me that they might have it tomorrow. ITS AS IF WE DONT LIVE ON THE SAME CONTINENT.

Skilletor

I dunno, seems to me the people complaining have played it so many times that they should be more upset that you can't skip the damn cutscenes. :D (I know it annoys me.)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm loving the 2.5D Rondo remake, and shitty emulator or not it's the first time I'll play TD Rondo. For $30, I can't really complain. But the redub is an expensive, pointless, unforced error.
It's not a poor emulation, however. It runs it better than any PC based PC Engine emulator I've used, actually.

Skilletor said:
I wasn't aware that the 5 minutes of story that SotN had was so important to people...
Well, Super Mario Bros. had about 45 seconds of story, but can you imagine the rage if they changed "Thank you Mario but our princess is in another castle"?

It's like that.

Defuser

Gamespot gave it a 8.0
http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/castlevaniathedraculaxchronicles/review.html?page=1&sid=6181938
The Good
* Finally, an English version of Rondo of Blood
* Rondo remake boasts 3D graphics, new audio, and other enhancements
* You can play the original 2D Rondo too
* Symphony of the Night is even better thanks to the new translation and voice work <= LOL
* Between the three games, you'll reap hours of old-school side-scrolling fun.

The Bad
* Rondo's difficulty and steep learning curve aren't for everyone
* The other two games are locked until you find certain items in the remake.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The reviewer is actually in the thread. Let's be polite. :D

HAHA great original soundtrack, mej explode

Bebpo

Banned
That's a good review from a non-hardcore CV fan point of view. For people who just enjoy the franchise in both old and new form, those are the good/bads of the game. Personally I'd give it an 8/10 as well.

This game is challenging. Thats what is good about it, how the hell do you mark that as bad? If it was "too easy" it would of marked as bad, so Im assuming they put that in there to not make the "whats bad" area look so empty. What a laugh.

Also, to you guys bitching about how horrible the emulation, gtfo. Go make a thread about the PS1 version, or roam over to the XBLA thread and talk about how glorious that version is. Yes, they are both fucking good version, I owned both. Read the thread title. It has awesome in it, you complaining about how shitty it is is making it less awesome. Rondo owns, I have two versions of it. ALL IN ENGLISH(or Japanese), with a bonus SOTN. $30. Not having to spend a rediculous amount of money just to play it.

Well, there's "too hard", "too easy", and "just right". It's sort of analogous to Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Given that Gamespot is reviewing for the average gamer, I would say that pointing out Dracula X's difficulty is fair game. It *is* going to be too hard for a lot of today's... gamers, and if all they ever see is the first twenty minutes of the game, that's got to be considered a negative, right?

Obviously beefy mans like us see that in the "negatives" and go "Woohoo!", because it's a positive for us. But we are certainly the minority in today's gaming landscape.

mosaic

go eat paint
Y2Kev said:
The reviewer is actually in the thread. Let's be polite. :D

HAHA great original soundtrack, mej explode
I don't care about politeness. However, when anyone says something bad about me, I do flex my magical wish powers to summon a Rick James lookalike to their house to dirty up their couch.

Games, and the reviews written for them, are subjective things... opinions. As it turned out, I enjoy Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles as much as you all do (apart from Mejilan), but my gripes are not the same. I really like the soundtracks for all three games, for example, and I do think the new voice work in SOTN is superior to the old. But I haven't played through SOTN on PS1 twenty times to the point that my brain has been convinced to like that stiff, wooden crap they recorded.

As for the difficulty, a couple of folks nailed it on the head: it's a positive for a few people, but more likely to be a negative for the majority of GameSpot's readership. I had numerous primal scream moments myself. I don't enjoy being that angry. Still, I'm a trooper, and I like the way old school Castlevanias are setup, so I pressed on and now I'm to the point where I can play through the whole game without running out of lives. Is that sort of forced trial-and-error a good thing? I gotta admit, personally, I wish the game had been just a little less brutal so I wouldn't have felt rage at times while playing it.

Oh well, that's old school Castlevanias for you. Wonderfully designed games, but you know going in they're tough as nails. That's just how they are. I went through the same thing playing the 68000 remake/original on the PS1 Chronicle disc. 80% fun, 20% unbridled anger.

So yep, that was my thought process.

Top Bottom