• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (Official Thread of AWESOME) GO! PSP! GO!

datamage

I think that maybe the people complaining about the difficulty are new to the CV series and weren't there from the beginning. I think it's an old-school mentality vs the fresh people. I personally love the challenge in this game.

*shrug* I think the animation is fine, and so are the graphics, and the music, superb. Go figure. Everyone has an opinion.

And as someone already stated, who gives a shit if the SoTN dub/translation is worse. It's not like you break into a dialogue every two minutes. I would have bought this game, even if it was just the Rondo remake. The other two games were bonuses. Sit back, relax, and enjoy your damn game. If not, trade it in to GS for $6. :lol

datamage said:
I think that maybe the people complaining about the difficulty are new to the CV series and weren't there from the beginning. I think it's an old-school mentality vs the fresh people. I personally love the challenge in this game.

*shrug* I think the animation is fine, and so are the graphics, and the music, superb. Go figure. Everyone has an opinion.

And as someone already stated, who gives a shit if the SoTN dub/translation is worse. It's not like you break into a dialogue every two minutes. I would have bought this game, even if it was just the Rondo remake. The other two games were bonuses. Sit back, relax, and enjoy your damn game. If not, trade it in to GS for $6. :lol

Hey you wanna high five? Cause I feel the same way.(But I actually wanted the original. Even though the Remake is still great).

manzo

datamage said:

Heh, I have to agree.

All the people who started with metroidvanias should be closed to one room with only Castlevania 1 there.

I wonder how many would actually get past the "real" Death. :p

Amir0x

Banned
Man I really zoomed through this shit, guess I wasn't as rusty as I thought I would be. Really sad there's no more Castlevania like this in the immediate future, only Metroidvania... which is cool, but, definitely wish i could have both.

Superb game, 10/10. Handheld GOTY so far, barring any surprises (or if I forgot any games)

Lakupo

datamage said:

My only problem with the graphics is the same one I've had for the previous two Castlevania games in 3D. IGA's crew has excellent pixel artists, but they haven't translated that detail to nice looking textures. It all ends up kind of blurry.

I understand the need for new voices in SotN to stay internally consistent with Rondo, but I do kind of wish they had either entirely retranslated the dialogue or left it alone entirely. As it stands, there's some awkward rewording of the original script, and then other parts that are no different from the original. I wouldn't mind change if it weren't lazy change. But hey, it's only a few minutes of dialogue, and there's always Japanese voices for the whiners.

Alright, the only thing I REALLY hate is the before boss music. Cause Im still honing in my vampire killin skills so Im finding myself in those pre-boss rooms alot :(...

Amir0x said:
Man I really zoomed through this shit, guess I wasn't as rusty as I thought I would be. Really sad there's no more Castlevania like this in the immediate future, only Metroidvania... which is cool, but, definitely wish i could have both.

Superb game, 10/10. Handheld GOTY so far, barring any surprises (or if I forgot any games)
Phantom Hourglass, Contra IV...Maybe something else.

Amir0x

Banned
evilromero said:
Phantom Hourglass, Contra IV...Maybe something else.

Oh hell no, Phantom Hourglass thread is that way and you know my thoughts on that. PH is a decent game, but Castlevania Dracula X is a jawsome game.

Of course, Contra IV is a possibility... i have to play it first

You'd award handheld game of the year to a collection of a few old, albeit good, Castlevania games and a mediocre remake? There were much better handheld games released this year.

Amir0x

Banned
EnjoyIncubus said:
You'd award handheld game of the year to a collection of a few old, albeit good, Castlevania games and a mediocre remake? There were much better handheld games released this year.

I thought everything was AWESOME. But yes, it's telling the type of year it was that a 'collection' would net the best handheld game; still, it's a collection of some of the best games of all time so it is worthy. Far more worthy than what else has come so far.

Amir0x

Banned
PSPSlimisbetterthanyou.jpg

so you know I DO love Crush

Bebpo

Banned
Amir0x said:
Oh hell no, Phantom Hourglass thread is that way and you know my thoughts on that. PH is a decent game, but Castlevania Dracula X is a jawsome game.

Of course, Contra IV is a possibility... i have to play it first

I didn't follow the US PH impressions. Was your main issue with PH that it was the easiest Zelda ever? Or that they still haven't ditch some of the bullshit running around on boats?

Amir0x

Banned
Bebpo said:
I didn't follow the US PH impressions. Was your main issue with PH that it was the easiest Zelda ever? Or that they still haven't ditch some of the bullshit running around on boats?

Oh I had tons of issues with it. Actually, I don't mind boat running on conceptual grounds, but I think both Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass had key flaws that made it unfun when it shouldn't have been.

Wind Waker's problem was constantly changing directions with wind baton, but the actual sailing was fun when you weren't doing that. PH eliminates the constantly changing directions with wind baton, but goes the other extreme by removing control over your ship altogether... you're just drawing a line from one place to another and occasionally tapping the screen to shoot a cannonball at something. This was just as unfun; a totally disconnected experience.

Wind Waker sailing controls MINUS constantly changing wind direction = formula perfected!

The bulk of my complaints about the actual game is here, although that's still not all of my problems. Remarkably, few of my complaints have to do with the touchscreen control... although I did not think they were inherently better than d-pad controls at all.

Summary if you don't have time: TOO easy (yes), TOO linear (yes), dungeons were way too short and lacked any rewarding exploration, dungeon design in general was a shadow of most of the other entires in the franchise, sailing was still heavily flawed, etc

Fady K

Amir0x said:
well if you could forget Brave Story

that game SUCKED

I love your taste Ami but can never look forward to Galaxy as much as you, though how can you not like Brave Story :'(

Anyway, agree with ya there about Castlevania. Didnt think the remake was mediocre at all even.

Bebpo

Banned
Amir0x said:
The bulk of my complaints about the actual game is here,

Cool. Yeah, I really liked it, but I think it had a lot of flaws and wouldn't put it more than an 8.5ish myself. I think my problem with CV Drac X as a handheld GoTY personally is actually simply that it's too short. I beat the normal stages in 3-5 hours maybe, and I plan to finish up the alternate stages, the hidden girls, the true ending, in another 2-3 hours tonight. Sure you can then go play the original but you'll blow through it in an hour and SoTN...I played it enough back in the day so I have no interest in replaying it. So for me, it's like a 1 day game, which is just waaay too short. I'll run through the boss rush mode every once and a while, but I just can't help wish there were more stages/bosses. I guess I'm just spoiled by the Metroidvania lengths.

I think my handheld GoTY would be It's a Wonderful World or FF Crisis Core or Super Robot Wars W this year. Then again I have a bias for rpgs/srpgs.

Amir0x

Banned
Fady K said:
I love your taste Ami but can never look forward to Galaxy as much as you, though how can you not like Brave Story :'(

Anyway, agree with ya there about Castlevania. Didnt think the remake was mediocre at all even.

let me put it in terms you may be more familiar with

Xenosaga I, II and III suck

Bebpo said:
Cool. Yeah, I really liked it, but I think it had a lot of flaws and wouldn't put it more than an 8.5ish myself. I think my problem with CV Drac X as a handheld GoTY personally is actually simply that it's too short. I beat the normal stages in 3-5 hours maybe, and I plan to finish up the alternate stages, the hidden girls, the true ending, in another 2-3 hours tonight. Sure you can then go play the original but you'll blow through it in an hour and SoTN...I played it enough back in the day so I have no interest in replaying it. So for me, it's like a 1 day game, which is just waaay too short. I'll run through the boss rush mode every once and a while, but I just can't help wish there were more stages/bosses. I guess I'm just spoiled by the Metroidvania lengths.

I think my handheld GoTY would be It's a Wonderful World or FF Crisis Core or Super Robot Wars W this year. Then again I have a bias for rpgs/srpgs.

Yeah like I said it's not awful, initially I was thinking PH may be a 8.5~9.0 game, but it became clear early on that the dungeons were never going to evolve into something more and so the game never took off for me and fell to around a 7.0~ for me. Still, a decent game by that standard but just troublesome compared to other Zelda games (Minish Cap, LttP, Link's Awakening, Oracle, Twilight Princess).

Also, I understand your problem with length... like I said, I blew through this REMARKABLY quick. Much quicker than I thought I would. But, length can only impact me if I felt I didn't get my moneys worth but I can say I definitely did.

I haven't played Wonderful World or FF: Crisis Core or Super Robot Wars W, so can't really comment on them yet. Hopefully Wonderful World is announced for US release soon...

Bebpo

Banned
Amir0x said:
But, length can only impact me if I felt I didn't get my moneys worth but I can say I definitely did.

True.

I'm really glad they priced this at $29.99. At that price there's really no way you can complain about not getting your money's worth.

Fady K

Segata Sanshiro said:
Hmmm

Amir0x says it's bad

Fady K says it's good

who to believe

who to believe

Who would believe the dude who loves Xenosaga III :'(? Look, to sum it up, if you like JRPGs and dont mind a cliched story then you would have your fun with Brave Story. Audiovisually its great, combat is good, story is passable, and length is decent. Just read RPGamers reviews on it, they nail it really well.

Fady K said:
Who would believe the dude who loves Xenosaga III :'(? Look, to sum it up, if you like JRPGs and dont mind a cliched story then you would have your fun with Brave Story. Audiovisually its great, combat is good, story is passable, and length is decent. Just read RPGamers reviews on it, they nail it really well.

I thought Brave Story was a good acceptable RPG on the PSP, I mean it is one of the best original RPGs on the PSP (which isnt saying much.)

Xaekid

Me and other friend of mine ordered the game online, couldn't see the whole mess until we opened the box. Gonna complain but I doubt we get something out of it.

Guess it's time for me to buy a cheap UMD movie and replace this box with that one.

Amir0x

Banned
Xaekid said:
Me and other friend of mine ordered the game online, couldn't see the whole mess until we opened the box. Gonna complain but I doubt we get something out of it.

Guess it's time for me to buy a cheap UMD movie and replace this box with that one.

where the heck did you order it from?

Because i'm sorry, if I got my UMD back like THAT, I'd call the company and ask for a new copy or a fucking refund

Xaekid

http://www.camelotgames.net/

And yeah, we're gonna ask for a new one. That particular company doesn't have very good reputation with that though, I heard some stories like this before but personally it's the first time I have this kind of issue with them.

One thing's for sure: banned from now on regardless of what happens.

Went to EB on my home from school and was told "it'll be in tomorrow", I was at a Rodgers Video just a few minutes ago and saw a lone copy of The Dracula Ten Chronicles for sale, which I of course purchased. This is the second time Rodgers Video has come through where EB Canada has Fission Mailed. Wish I could play the game right now but I have revisions/homework, yay!

If you other Canucks are desperate--read Segata--check out your local Rodgers Video, maybe they have a copy in.

Also...

<3 @ Ami owning Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X. Truely a king amoung men. To you I say huzzah.

I bought my copy at a Canadian ebgames this afternoon. Get home from work a few minutes ago, pop it in. Only to be greeted with "firmware update! What, battery too low? Ha ha, no Castlevania for you!" So cruel.:( Now I wait.

Amir0x said:
well if you could forget Brave Story

that game SUCKED

Understatement of the year. Definitely the worst game I've ever beaten.

Man, what an ending.

Hey, there's this movie coming out that sounds strikingly similar to the ordeal you just went through! End.

jaundicejuice said:
Went to EB on my home from school and was told "it'll be in tomorrow", I was at a Rodgers Video just a few minutes ago and saw a lone copy of The Dracula Ten Chronicles for sale, which I of course purchased. This is the second time Rodgers Video has come through where EB Canada has Fission Mailed. Wish I could play the game right now but I have revisions/homework, yay!

If you other Canucks are desperate--read Segata--check out your local Rodgers Video, maybe they have a copy in.

Also...

<3 @ Ami owning Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X. Truely a king amoung men. To you I say huzzah.
Yeah, I got it at HMV today.

Boy, the sound effects in Symphony are really borked, eh?

Skilletor

I just bumrushed through SotN trying to beat it as quick as I could so I could unlock Maria. I put her name in when I start a new game and...nothing. Don't tell me I have to beat the game the right way to unlock her. Do I? :(

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Segata Sanshiro said:
I never doubted you were a man of taste, good sir.

Brave Story any good?

I will hate GAF forever for hyping me up to buy that piece of shit game.

Now I look at any hype in these forums with lots of distrust.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, I got it at HMV today.

Boy, the sound effects in Symphony are really borked, eh?

Wish I knew :( doing homework still. I watched the opening video while on the can though; it was all evil, German-y and cool sounding/looking.

I hope that whatever changes there are don't annoy me too much, maybe I can put a bit of time in tonight before I go to bed and find out how much I'll love or loathe Iga for this.

Early thoughts: I love the Rondo remake. It's a blast to play and it looks good. The voice acting is frigging awful though, and there's no excuse for that in this day and age. Love the game though, and that's the main thing.

On SotN: The sound effects are borked, the new voices are every bit as bad as the old ones (and Death is even worse), and my PSP's dpad is fighting me every step of the way. If Symphony were a major reason for my purchase of this game, I'd be cranky.

Bebpo

Banned
Got the girls and finished up drac round 3. Round 3 was a pretty fun fight, lots of patterns but all very telegraphed with enough time to dodge everything. (well I'm not sure about the wave across the ground that he does towards the end. Didn't see it coming until it appeared usually).

But man, 5' is killing me. In the upper path I have no idea how to beat the dual knights. In the lower path I get to the part with the 3 platforms (middle with spikes on the ceiling) and the bronze axe armor and harpy and the best I can do is just try to jump over the axe guy but I take a lot of damage. Level wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to redo that looooong easy but slow hallway every time you died on the upper or lower next floor.
*edit: nm, figured out that the 2 knights are pretty easy. Now can get to the boss no prob if taking the upper path. Lower path is still too hard for me >_<

So yeah, I'd definitely say now that the remake is the harder of the two:

A. Stage 5'
B. Drac form 3
C. The headless spear boss is about 20x harder in the remake. His spear stab goes almost across the entire room (in the original it only goes a bit forward like the spear enemies), his HP is double that of the original and the floating head in the remake must be dodged with a jump -> backflip, whereas you could just walk out of the way to dodge it in the original. He was a joke in the original, but I died a few times on him here.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Early thoughts: I love the Rondo remake. It's a blast to play and it looks good. The voice acting is frigging awful though, and there's no excuse for that in this day and age. Love the game though, and that's the main thing.

On SotN: The sound effects are borked, the new voices are every bit as bad as the old ones (and Death is even worse), and my PSP's dpad is fighting me every step of the way. If Symphony were a major reason for my purchase of this game, I'd be cranky.

do you have a PSP slim or a regular PSP?

I remember playing some parts of SOTN with the analog nub when I played it emulated a while back, but on the PSP slim I find that I can do pretty much anything on the Dpad now

Linkzg said:
do you have a PSP slim or a regular PSP?

I remember playing some parts of SOTN with the analog nub when I played it emulated a while back, but on the PSP slim I find that I can do pretty much anything on the Dpad now
I'm on a regular PSP, which I just bought in May so it's not going anywhere. It's not a dealbreaker, since I bought this game for Rondo anyway, and that doesn't exactly use diagonals much.

Top Bottom