• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

clav

Didn't enjoy the DS versions, so I'm not interested.

On the surface, it just looks like a bunch of raiding and not much exploration.

SAB CA said:
For anyone with a Japanese 360 account, there is a video on their "inside Xbox" equivalent, that shows Iga playing with the people on that show... (Oh, and a Vampire.) They take on one of the bosses... which takes them a few tries, as they keep on dying! On the way to that tragedy, Iga had run off by himself, and opened a shortcut for his team mates, while they generally stuck together.

Also, I noticed in one of the videos I've seen, that the time to beat the stage was something like 30 min, not the "10 min or LOSE!" time mentioned in so many other previews. I like the idea of actually getting to explore and grind items some. These maps do look quite huge...

Oh lordy, Play X Play covers it? Does it have the female host screaming in terror at everything like she does when she was playing Ketsui and Mushihimesama? :lol

From IGN Review:
"The game doesn't tell you about the differences between the characters, though, so you may be left wondering why Shanoa isn't learning new spells or can't equip new weapons."

I played every Castlevania Game. So i know every character from every game.

"You don't level up, but you're always finding better and better equipment and are slowly becoming more powerful."

What? No Level Up? Then its not a Castlevania Metrovania Game.

Kifimbo

RunDLC liked it. 4/5.

The only foreseeable downsides are replay value and the inability to pause the action. First, we’re not sure whether the game has legs. Once a chapter’s complete, we have little reason to go back, aside from beating it on a higher difficulty. Then, there’s a matter of pausing, or lack thereof. Pressing start brings up a screen full of options, but it fails to stop the clock or enemies, meaning you could lose and/or take damage while answering the phone or making a much needed bathroom break.

Despite these criticisms, Castlevania: Harmony of Despair a fine addition to the celebrated franchise and a worthwhile entry within the Summer of Arcade. It’ll draw plenty of critics more interested in replaying the same old and dusty adventures from years past, but don’t listen to them. It’s sweet.

http://www.rundlc.com/reviews/castlevania-harmony-of-despair-review-xbox-live/

Skilletor

dark_inferno said:
"You don't level up, but you're always finding better and better equipment and are slowly becoming more powerful."

What? No Level Up? Then its not a Castlevania Metrovania Game.

That's silly, since you don't ever earn new abilities with your levels in Castlevania games. Levels only serve to break the difficulty. They have nothing to do with the formula of Metroidvania games.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
RoryDropkick said:
Oh lordy, Play X Play covers it? Does it have the female host screaming in terror at everything like she does when she was playing Ketsui and Mushihimesama? :lol

-nod- I think she screams at like... every death the team gets. :lol And when the bit begins, with her getting assaulted by the Vampire that Igarashi threatens to whip into submission. Note: No actual whipping took place. :lol

dark_inferno said:
From IGN Review:

I keep finding these comments silly. It's like saying "You don't get more powerful as you play. But you get more powerful as you play!" This isn't a linear adventure. This is a loot game. Better loot makes you better. You don't "level up" in Monster Hunter either, but does that prevent your items from making a large difference in your fights?

Really interested to see how they handle the games demo. Sounds like it NEEDS some online playtest to lure people in, hope there's either time-limited or stage-limited online in there...

No change in my hype; With Scott Pilgrim and Shank coming out right after SoE, I'll probably only buy about 3 of the SoA games. This'll be one of them!

Skilletor

SAB CA said:
Really interested to see how they handle the games demo. Sounds like it NEEDS some online playtest to lure people in, hope there's either time-limited or stage-limited online in there...

No change in my hype; With Scott Pilgrim and Shank coming out right after SoE, I'll probably only buy about 3 of the SoA games. This'll be one of them!

Nawp. With levels, I get stronger even if I only use a dagger throughout a game. Without levels, the dagger remains shitty from beginning to end.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Skilletor said:
Nawp. With levels, I get stronger even if I only use a dagger throughout a game. Without levels, the dagger remains shitty from beginning to end.

Yes, but this is a game that's about the loots. If you wanna get stronger with a dagger... you get a better dagger.

Eh, for me, it's like complaining about Monster Hunter not having leveling up, based on the fact that Phantasy Star Online had it.

I know it's a SOTN born expectation here, but it just doesn't sound important for THIS game, is all.

Rad-

Summer of Arcade 2010 is in full swing and Castlevania: Harmony of Despair continues the trend of quality set forth by the previous two titles, LIMBO and Hydro Thunder Hurricane. It’s easy to recommend Castlevania, and the amount of time you’ll put in makes it more than worth the price of admission. Grab a friend, grab your favorite vampire killing tools, and put the Count back in his coffin.

9/10

http://nonsensegamer.com/?p=2749

Overall however Castlevania: Harmony of Despair is a phenomenal game. Incorporating as much nostalgia as possible was a brilliant move on the developer's part and one that I believe every Castlevania fan will be happy to see. At a price point of only $15, this is a must-buy for sure.

8.5/10 and 8/10

http://www.strengthgamer.com/Castlevania__HoD.html

Castlevania Harmony of Despair is fun and enjoyable in both singleplay and co-op play. It does have unique potential to be different from other Castlevania game but, still brings old things from the old games and has the “Did that already” feel. Castlevania Harmony of Despair does have that fan service for the Veterans and the easy to learn method for newcomers. Challenging, enjoyable co-op, and high replay value, both Veterans and newcomers alike will love this game, and its really a great addition to the “Summer of Arcade” line-up for Xbox 360. Also with downloadable content coming we might see characters that were not on the character roster and new chapters to play with.

4/5

http://thegamershub.co.uk/2010/08/castlevania-harmony-of-despair-review/

The game is a challenging 2D slide-scrolling slayer that pays homage to earlier Castlevania titles and is a must-have for all Castlevania fans. Whilst the game does not have an overall story and lacks the character leveling up feature from previous titles; the fun is in experiencing the difficulties and gameplay with other friends co-operatively.

8/10

http://www.xboxic.com/news/6428

Yeah just going by the blurbs posted in here I can't say I'm looking forward to this one. The price is just a severe kick in the junk and since I don't have Gold that means I'm paying another $35 on top of the $15. I've actually enjoyed all of the previous games at one time or another(except Dawn of Sorrow..bored me to tears).

Truly sad part is one of the main reasons I want to get this game now is so that I'll have the opportunity to write a better review than most of the ones I've read so far. So many catch-phrases and cliches it makes me want to puke. Oh and constant reiterations of how the game plays. Thanks guys.

Foffy

Banned
theMrCravens said:
Six maps only ?
Even with multiple difficulty settings, that's pretty low for the price.

They keeping everything for DLC ?

The "DLC" (Which currently is just unlock codes) are for Julius Belmont, Maria Renard, and a number of stages themed after pyramids.

It angers me knowing the initial download to a 6 player online game comes with 7 characters, but Konami only allows 5 at the start.

Foffy said:
The "DLC" (Which currently is just unlock codes) are for Julius Belmont, Maria Renard, and a number of stages themed after pyramids.

It angers me knowing the initial download to a 6 player online game comes with 7 characters, but Konami only allows 5 at the start.
Ha ha that's just shit.
Looks like I've already written my review. "Fuck you Konami I'm keeping my money."

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The IGN review mentioned 6 playable characters in the game, so maybe one of the 2 DLC -mentioned characters are unlockable? Or there could be a total of 8 planned characters so far.

So, the DLC knowledge is Partnernet Info, I'd imagine? Since we haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

Anyway, the reviews posted by Rad- are pretty interesting. Pretty nice batch that seem to like it.

Foffy

Banned
SAB CA said:
The IGN review mentioned 6 playable characters in the game, so maybe one of the 2 DLC -mentioned characters are unlockable? Or there could be a total of 8 planned characters so far.

So, the DLC knowledge is Partnernet Info, I'd imagine? Since we haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

Anyway, the reviews posted by Rad- are pretty interesting. Pretty nice batch that seem to like it.

Maybe IGN simply mentioned that you can play online with 6 people. A number of people have been posting on Gamefaqs :)lol) about completing the game, and there's no unlockable stages or characters after beating it on Normal. Hard mode seems to actually require co-op, as the bosses get new moves. I doubt there are enough people out there to get that done yet. Could be a possible chance that maybe Julius unlocks by beating on Hard, because Maria would be such a lame unlockable. :p

The DLC claims that I've seen on the internets have come from people who have either pirated the game, or found a way to look into the game itself, as far as I know. Nobody who has been posting about having a review copy has yet to mention the stages and characters. I'm pretty sure that eventually someone will be posting those characters and stages on Youtube before they're actually out, like the case with the Special Stages in Mega Man 10 or the entire game of Final Fantasy IV: The After Years.

I just hope Julius has a new sprite, because the one from Dawn of Sorrow is horrible. :lol

Beth Cyra

Foffy said:
Maybe IGN simply mentioned that you can play online with 6 people. A number of people have been posting on Gamefaqs :)lol) about completing the game, and there's no unlockable stages or characters after beating it on Normal. Hard mode seems to actually require co-op, as the bosses get new moves. I doubt there are enough people out there to get that done yet. Could be a possible chance that maybe Julius unlocks by beating on Hard, because Maria would be such a lame unlockable. :p

The DLC claims that I've seen on the internets have come from people who have either pirated the game, or found a way to look into the game itself, as far as I know. Nobody who has been posting about having a review copy has yet to mention the stages and characters. I'm pretty sure that eventually someone will be posting those characters and stages on Youtube before they're actually out, like the case with the Special Stages in Mega Man 10 or the entire game of Final Fantasy IV: The After Years.

I just hope Julius has a new sprite, because the one from Dawn of Sorrow is horrible
. :lol

You poor soul, stop this destructive train of thought, it will only bring pain in the end.

Alucard didn't even get his newer sprite from a puzzle game, there is no way you are getting a new Julius sprite. If by some miracle we do I will gladly eat crow.

theMrCravens said:
Six maps only ?
Even with multiple difficulty settings, that's pretty low for the price.

They keeping everything for DLC ?
If they add a single player mode with a story to it for people who want to play by themselves, heck I'd pay an additional $15 for that!

I guess my main problem with the game is my lack of friends to play this with. I can probably play with random strangers online, but there's really no fun in that.

My friends only play Modern Warfare 2. Yeah, bummer right? I think I'm the only one who plays this, Hydro Thunder, and other niche multiplayer games by myself! *sniff*

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I guess my main problem with the game is my lack of friends to play this with. I can probably play with random strangers online, but there's really no fun in that.

Would be a good thing to pull some GAFfers into, then! I'm not much for playing games like this with randoms generally either, but with 5 spaces to fill, this could be a decent game to meet-and-greet in.

Oh, a random cool thing gleamed from the Game FAQs thread: I'm glad to hear the Normal and Hard modes of stages actually have different enemies, and that bosses get new strategies, and some even new attacks.

Also, reading how the characters keep their own original gameplay (known, but it's still nice to hear!) such as Soma absorbing souls, Shanoa absorbing Glyphs, and Alucard and Soma getting a large arsenal (with mention or Soma at least getting 1 unique uber wep)... just makes me ready to play already!

seady

After reading so many preview and even IGN's review, I still don't understand how this game works. :lol

Teknoman

seady said:
After reading so many preview and even IGN's review, I still don't understand how this game works. :lol

176343-diablo_large.jpg

+

castlevania-01.jpg

=

harmony_of_despairboxart_160w.jpg

At least thats what seems to be the simplest explanation, and actually sounds pretty fun if you're really into the series. As long as the netcode is really good.

Plus if the music is awesome / there are multiple new tracks or remixes, that makes things even better. Also nice on palette swaps so people can play the same character.

EDIT: Do you have to control both Charlotte and Johnathan at the same time, or do they count as separate characters?

panda21

wait is it co-op only or what?

the OP says it has a co-op boss rush mode? but the main game is also co-op? it has AI or something for singleplayer?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Single Player is... single player, just like the youtube videos show. You play alone, there is noone else with you. Just like SOTN, just minus the story and cinematics.

Charlotte and Jonathan count as seperate characters.

According the GFAQs poster, the option screen seems to allow you to set the music of each stage, from a variety of music tracks.

After watching some of that video, I don't understand this game anymore. I thought the point of a Castlevania was that the map was grayed out and you didn't know where to go.

Also, the music sucks.

Mar

Shard said:

Yet Harmony of Despair has no sympathy for failure. When a boss claims victory, you start from the very beginning of the stage, with nearly a half-hour wasted. That's right: the first time you die, you have to make another run through the whole mansion. The second goddamn time you die, you have to make another goddamn run through the whole goddamn mansion. After the third time, you start using words that my editors won't let me print.

Oh man.. I think I'll pass on that.

Firestorm

Ok hadn't heard of this at all but friends want to Co-op so quick question: Is it 4+ players Co-op through the main story or just Boss Rush

Teknoman

Firestorm said:
Ok hadn't heard of this at all but friends want to Co-op so quick question: Is it 4+ players Co-op through the main story or just Boss Rush

Co-op all the way.

BigNastyCurve said:
After watching some of that video, I don't understand this game anymore. I thought the point of a Castlevania was that the map was grayed out and you didn't know where to go.

Also, the music sucks.

No, thats just the point of a certain type of Castlevania game. You have stage based, map discovery based (ala metroid style), and now this which is basically just a combination of map discovery gameplay and classic stage based gameplay minus an actual story/stage progression that makes sense.

Not sure how some people are getting confused.

EDIT: For some reason the characters seem to be moving slower/not have smooth animations in some of the videos.

OnPoint

Is anybody looking to play on Wednesday night? I'd be down for some Live action if anyone wants to swap gamertags

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Seems like Eurogamer Reviewer forgets to mention you keep your loot after dying. Also, you can revive your teammates when you play in co-op.

I don't see what's so hard to understand about what this game is... it's not a normal Castlevania. It's like a fusion of the times runs and survivability of Classic Castlevania, Item collection of Metroidvania, and the "Fight together to defeat the boss, and progress to the next stage!" of something like Monster Hunter.

You collect money to buy items. These items vary from things shared between characters (Armors, weapons with applicable characters), to unique things ( unique weps or abilities for characters.)

Single player is pretty much going to turn into something to do, to buff up your characters, while waiting to get online with friends. Single player and story is not this games focus, or even on it's radar, really; it's pretty much all about playing you favorite modern CV characters, with their unique abilities intact, in a series of boss-packin' dungeon raid missions.

Firestorm said:

Just to be clear, this game is pretty much just "Boss rush". No story. It's about rushing through the stage, gathering money and loots, and destroying a boss together!

Another thing that I'm not liking is the time limit.

Hope you can turn it off or it means "beating the game at the fastest time possible" instead of "beating the game within a certain time limit" or else you lose.

Foffy

Banned
Skilletor said:
Alucard looks really slow and sluggish in that vid.

He's actually missing frames. I think they must have taken his sprite from Dawn of Sorrow, because he was missing his fancy animations when idling on stairs or edges of platforms in that game too.

And personally, I don't see the issue of dying and being forced to do the whole stage over. It was like that in the final stage of Dracula's Curse. Consider it a Castlevania game with no continue system. When you ran out of continues in Castlevania Bloodlines, you had to do the whole stage over, so maybe I'm used to that. :lol

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Another thing that I'm not liking is the time limit.

Hope you can turn it off or it means "beating the game at the fastest time possible" instead of "beating the game within a certain time limit" or else you lose.

You can't turn it off, and you lose when time runs out, like in the older games. Adventure Rebirth also had a time limit, but the time varied between stages.

As someone who's never played the DS or GBA games, I was looking forward to this. After seeing the graphics and hearing about the multiplayer concept I was less enthused. Reading the Eurogamer review makes me shudder - sounds terrible. I was hoping I could support more 2D games, but... eh.

Also - people are referring the Eurogamer review as Edge? Do they have some kind of content-sharing deal I am not aware of, or are we just generalizing about people who happen to live on the same continent?

Daigoro

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yeah just going by the blurbs posted in here I can't say I'm looking forward to this one. The price is just a severe kick in the junk and since I don't have Gold that means I'm paying another $35 on top of the $15. I've actually enjoyed all of the previous games at one time or another(except Dawn of Sorrow..bored me to tears).

please tell me where you're getting a gold sub for $35.

Daigoro said:
please tell me where you're getting a gold sub for $35.

Serious??? I got a 2 years gold sub for $28 dollars each from dell.com 3 months ago. It's easy to find deals on gold subs. I'm more worried about the people that actually pay $35 or more! :lol

Shurs

RadarScope1 said:
As someone who's never played the DS or GBA games, I was looking forward to this. After seeing the graphics and hearing about the multiplayer concept I was less enthused. Reading the Eurogamer review makes me shudder - sounds terrible. I was hoping I could support more 2D games, but... eh.

Also - people are referring the Eurogamer review as Edge? Do they have some kind of content-sharing deal I am not aware of, or are we just generalizing about people who happen to live on the same continent?

To be fair, they're pretty much all Brits.

Daigoro

Annihilator said:
Serious??? I got a 2 years gold sub for $28 dollars each from dell.com 3 months ago. It's easy to find deals on gold subs. I'm more worried about the people that actually pay $35 or more! :lol

so i should use my time machine then?

cmon help a brother out. or do i need to vigiliantly search all online retailers daily until a deal pops up?

GhaleonQ

Whether or not the game's actually good, Teti's review at Eurogamer is devastating. After his somewhat embarrassing Limbo review, this is a return to form.

Top Bottom