• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

Davedough

I've been trying to play this game since I got it for review and all I can really say about it is that its garbage. There are few games that I've ever been so disappointed in where they could have made something really cool and just fell flat on their faces.

Beth Cyra

Davedough said:
I've been trying to play this game since I got it for review and all I can really say about it is that its garbage. There are few games that I've ever been so disappointed in where they could have made something really cool and just fell flat on their faces.

Considering that almost every other review is postive, they must either abusing the 7-9 scale or are playing a different game then you apperantly.

Also how are you disappoitned? People have been saying this would be bad from we found out about it, I have seen a bunch of people be surprised that it actually turned out nearly as good as some of the reviews are saying.

Shurs

TruePrime said:
Considering that almost every other review is postive, they must either abusing the 7-9 scale or are playing a different game then you apperantly.

Also how are you disappoitned? People have been saying this would be bad from we found out about it, I have seen a bunch of people be surprised that it actually turned out nearly as good as some of the reviews are saying.

My initial impression was the same as his: Hit enemies with your weak weapons until you die. Start over from the beginning picking up money and slightly better weapons until you die again. Rinse and repeat. Work your way up to the boss, die, continue from the start of the level. Get enough money to buy a legitimate weapon, then the game starts to become fun. Playing with other people, which is how the game was obviously meant to be played, helps a bunch as well.

The game has grown on me, and Castlevania fans will go nuts for it, but it is a tough pill to swallow at first, especially alone.

Daigoro

well sounds great to me, but im a big CV whore.

too bad the 360 is heading in for repairs tomorrow. it will be a few weeks before i get to try it...

Teknoman

I dont think the first boss (Gergoth was it? Trying to remember the name without resorting to google) will be that hard with or without higher weapons. Its just like Monster Hunter or Phantasy Star Online/Universe/Portable/Zero where the game is built for MP, and you probably wont have much fun playing alone.

SP is probably just for farming money/equipment/items on your own time.

In the many playthroughs I did of SOTN I tried playing through it with whatever weapon combination I thought sounded like a good time.

It's one of the appealing things this game has going for it. Since I don't have to worry about exp or whatever I can try new tricks to getting through each level..even if it isn't the absolute best way to go about it.

Still doubt I'm buying it though. Principles and all that.

SapientWolf said:
I heard that if the game sells less than half a million copies Konami is going to grind Iga into sausage to give away at their next Christmas party.

Somehow I see Iga coming out ahead in that scenario. Most people don't get out of Hell so easily.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
PepsimanVsJoe said:
In the many playthroughs I did of SOTN I tried playing through it with whatever weapon combination I thought sounded like a good time.

It's one of the appealing things this game has going for it. Since I don't have to worry about exp or whatever I can try new tricks to getting through each level..even if it isn't the absolute best way to go about it.

I heard that if the game sells less than half a million copies Konami is going to grind Iga into sausage to give away at their next Christmas party.

Teknoman

I cant get the trailer/ preview playthrough theme out of my head.

EDIT: Also just found out why Portrait of Ruin has such a great soundtrack. Both Yamane and Yuzo Koshiro (of Streets of Rage series, Super Adventure Island, Actraiser and Etrian Odyssey series) worked on it.

Gamespot review:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/act...vert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review

The Good

* Cooperative gameplay is fun
* Grinding is addictive
* Offers a good challenge.

The Bad

* Instructions are terrible
* Some areas seem too focused on multiplayer
* Controls feel a bit too loose.

7.5 (Good)

1up review:

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3180702

B

Daigoro

PepsimanVsJoe said:

Somehow I see Iga coming out ahead in that scenario. Most people don't get out of Hell so easily.

damn your principles, sir!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Igarashi said:
Right now I'm focusing on Xbox Live Arcade... ...But there might be a possibility with that. I hope this one sells, and then we can think about PSN.

So Xbox fanboys should not buy this game to ensure XBLA exclusivity then? :D

Anyway, hope it does hit PSN. Not sure if I'd like it, but, sucker for Castlevania and all that. The only vania I'd never buy is that weird beat 'em up.

voltron

Despair indeed.

What I'd give for this to be a new single player focused Castlevania like SoTN for XBLA.

So disappointing.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
So I downloaded it through the link. When i try to buy it, it doesn't work.

Rad- said:
Single player demo for (mainly) a multi player game? :lol

Nothing much else they could do. Not like Konami is gonna pay MS the bucks needed to include live multiplayer in the trial. Theres no local multi.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
DLC confirmed.

When you load up the leaderboards, "replays by players using downloadable content may not be available", or something like that.

Tried it, not impressed at all. I love the Castlevania series (both Actionvania and Metroidvania) and this does nothing for me.

Feels like you're walking through sludge (I blame this on the wide camera angle) and there's nothing really clever about the design (except for a few parts where Shanoa can get to quicker than others since she has the Glyph ability. Other than that, feels like the base Castlevania gameplay with the clever touches taken out)

Edit: For a laugh I tried out playing it in 480p, x2 zoom was actually surprisingly somewhat playable! But don't bother trying it in native res, it's just a big blur :lol

Noogy

Hmm, there's a lot I like about the demo. I think it's beautiful, visually. I kind of wish I could zoom in one more time, so that the viewing angle is more like the DS games (and alleviate the sluggishness of playing a hundred feet away).

I don't see much point in being able to zoom WAY out, as it only makes it impossible to add parallax, which is sorely missing from a series that revels in it.

Almost beat the boss on my first try (and I was playing sloppy as I work), so as far as Castlevania games goes this is pretty easy.

I'm bummed there's no proper single player, but it's still a blast to play, and it feels like Castlevania.... almost.

Something feels wrong with Alucard. I'd like to try Shanoa and the other characters, but Alucard is definitely gimped. The speed at which you can attack is very slow (compared to SOTN). Maybe it's a balancing thing, but it's harder to get a few aerial hits in.

And protip, always jump before using magic. You don't have to endure that lengthy animation.

Noogy said:
Hmm, there's a lot I like about the demo. I think it's beautiful, visually. I kind of wish I could zoom in one more time, so that the viewing angle is more like the DS games (and alleviate the sluggishness of playing a hundred feet away).

I don't see much point in being able to zoom WAY out, as it only makes it impossible to add parallax, which is sorely missing from a series that revels in it.

Almost beat the boss on my first try (and I was playing sloppy as I work), so as far as Castlevania games goes this is pretty easy.

I'm bummed there's no proper single player, but it's still a blast to play, and it feels like Castlevania.... almost.

Something feels wrong with Alucard. I'd like to try Shanoa and the other characters, but Alucard is definitely gimped. The speed at which you can attack is very slow (compared to SOTN). Maybe it's a balancing thing, but it's harder to get a few aerial hits in.

And protip, always jump before using magic. You don't have to endure that lengthy animation.

Nah I think it's the same, but what is missing is his infinite backdash. Maybe that's what feels off to you?

Gowans

This will be my free game with the 1200 point rebate, excited for all but this one. Hopefully it surprises me.

Noogy

Nuclear Muffin said:
Nah I think it's the same, but what is missing is his infinite backdash. Maybe that's what feels off to you?
Yeah, dash is odd, but I feel like trying to slash at something while crouched feels really off. And there seemed to be a number of times where it wouldn't register an attack the moment I hit the ground.

It could be that I've been engrossed in Order of Ecclesia and Portrait of Ruin, althought I always felt that the original Alucard was incredibly agile.

Otherwise, I still liked the demo. With local coop it would have been an instabuy, since my wife also loves Castlevania. I might still double dip though with my second 360.

Mar

I wasn't going to buy this but now a friend is interested in co-opping it. Both of us are long time Castlevania players, although he likes the anime metroidvania style and I prefer the classic style. But it could be fun.

xbhaskarx

Gowans007 said:
This will be my free game with the 1200 point rebate, excited for all but this one.

I'm in the same boat. However, I'm not sure if I should just buy this now or wait until I try something something Combat next week...

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I just had a 6 player romp. It was chaotic and incredibly fun. I can see myself wasting a whole weekend running through the levels on this one.

Ricker

Rad- said:
Single player demo for (mainly) a multi player game? :lol

I was going to say the same and they even say solo play is almost impossible due to the game being very difficult....anyway,not sure i`m getting this now because of the difficulty,which would kill my 3rd game purchase to get 400 points,unless I grab Hydro Thunder,I already have Limbo and getting Tomb Raider.

Gimme good multiplayer impressions guys... :D

Gowans

Noogy said:
might still double dip though with my second 360.

Why? download it on the console your wife plays on so it can be played by anyone and any profile on that 360 then download it on the other and play on your live account only.

It's what we do in our house to play games we have bought cross console.

Noogy

Gowans007 said:
Why, download it on the console your wife pays on so it can be played by anyone and any profile on that 360 then download it on the other and play on your live account only.

It's what we do in our house to play games we have bought cross console.

For coop. She'd have little interest playing this 'single player' mode.

Sectus

Netcode seems to be great. I just played a match with random American and Japanese players (I'm in Norway), and I didn't feel even any hint of lag, even with all of us running around and fighting the same enemies.

By the way, I recommend turning on the 2x camera setting. For some reason it's not accessible by default, and I think that setting works great for playing. The other views are way too zoomed out.

Gowans

Noogy said:
For coop. She'd have little interest playing this 'single player' mode.

Yeah I got that Noogy, I just ment you can play co-op on two separate consoles only buying the game once. Its what I do with the Mrs.

Hmm. To buy or not.
I'm having fun with the trial (even if soloing is dull), but for 1200 points... meh.

They don't even have a 1200 package option online, which is lame.
Have to buy 1500 for ~$21 since I'm out of points.

TheFreshPrince

In every single player video I've watched, most enemies are going down in 1 hit. Does the game scale with more people, or is it just super easy?

I know weapons make a difference but these videos are of Chapter 1, so the players cant have that good of gear.

Anyone up for giving some of their impressions so far? From watching the videos and playing the trial, it seems like an alright game. I think I'm going to buy it anyway but some good impressions would definitely push me over the age.

Edit: Fuck it. I bought the game. Will post my impression later.

Coldsnap

TheFreshPrince said:
In every single player video I've watched, most enemies are going down in 1 hit. Does the game scale with more people, or is it just super easy?

I know weapons make a difference but these videos are of Chapter 1, so the players cant have that good of gear.

In the giantbomb QL Jeff explained that since he had a new sword from level 3 that he was killing everything in one hit which normally wouldn't happen. My guess is most people play up to level 3 then do the video capture at level 1.

Hmm, is the loot you receive out of the chest after beating a boss based on your ranking in your group? I noticed the guy that got last place only received something like a high potion while everyone else seemed to get something gear related. He also died during the fight so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it either.

Teknoman

Cant you guys zoom in even more by messing with the options menu? Downloading the demo now, so I cant confirm myself, but I remember someone saying something about being able to set the default zoom at an even closer (normal Castlevania level) by messing with the camera setting in options.

Sectus said:
Netcode seems to be great. I just played a match with random American and Japanese players (I'm in Norway), and I didn't feel even any hint of lag, even with all of us running around and fighting the same enemies.

By the way, I recommend turning on the 2x camera setting. For some reason it's not accessible by default, and I think that setting works great for playing. The other views are way too zoomed out.

Awesome.

Top Bottom