• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

Wizpig

Teknoman said:
Is there a Vampire Killer GAF tag yet? Just downloaded the full version and ready to jump in.
We should really make one...
Vamphuntr said:
You are dying at the boss? You are supposed to destroy the green/blue doll before he puts them in the iron maiden otherwise he will swap someone with the doll and you will take 150 damage.
Yeah, everyone else was a skeleton at a point but i died too.
Then the boss starts to roam the castle... it's not easy.

Sectus

dark10x said:
I quite like the zoomed out look. Not all the way, mind you, but the second most distant view looks great. If I sit near my 50" TV it's no smaller than any other 2D game I played back in the day on a smaller set...you can just see a lot more at once.

Unfortunately, I don't really like the game much. If I had others willing to play with me, I'd be on it, but most of my friends game on PS3. :\ I wish you could do game sharing ala PS3 as well. I would load it up on my second 360 and get a multiplayer session going in the same room.
You can kinda do that. Let your friend play the game on the 360 you bought it on. And you play on the other 360.

Scarecrow

Is there some way to look at how the characters differ? Like, I played through the first level as John and Shanoa. I don't know what John is supposed to do, but I remember shanoa can suck up souls or something like that. I didn't encounter any though. It also seems like Alucard would end up being super powerful by the end if he can do all the broken shit from SotN.

Vamphuntr

Scarecrow said:
Is there some way to look at how the characters differ? Like, I played through the first level as John and Shanoa. I don't know what John is supposed to do, but I remember shanoa can suck up souls or something like that. I didn't encounter any though. It also seems like Alucard would end up being super powerful by the end if he can do all the broken shit from SotN.

read the help file in the main menu....

Teknoman

Anyone up for making the GAF tag so people can just add that one tag and invite people from there? I would...but im not good at managing tags :lol

seady

How is this compare to Limbo and other Summer of Arcade games if I only want to choose one of the five?

Scarecrow

The other games don't interest me much, but I could see this potentially being the best due to the multiplayer. Limbo was great, but short and lacking in much replay value. A loot whoring Castlevania is a pretty neat idea.

Davedough

seady said:
How is this compare to Limbo and other Summer of Arcade games if I only want to choose one of the five?

I've only played the ones that have been released. Limbo, beat it and loved it but haven't touched it since. Castlevania is growing on me but Hydro Thunder Hurricane gets regular play nightly from me.... but thats just my opinion.

Yet to be released. Monday Night Combat looks interesting and Lara Croft... well... we'll see if Eidos hasn't completely borked that franchise yet.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, that sucks. The default camera is WAAAAY far back (good for six players, I guess, but yeah). And fumbling with the camera controls (and you can't get the damn thing to switch unless you leave it outside the game you're in at 2x/3x NO REGISTER ANYTHING ELSE) is horrible.

That said: The gameplay is okay with the exception of the "safe points" being able to be attacked. What good is going into a menu to heal/change equipment if I'm going to be hit in a "safe point?" So goddamn stupid.

I'll buy the game when it's on sale. Sorry, Iga but $15 is too rich for my blood for a time limit "single-player" Castlevania.

played for a little while with some friends, and so far we all really like it, and we definitely had big reservations about it.

it's a bit generic, but i can tell it might end up being alot of fun in the end trying to go for good time/score runs.

music on level 2 was incredible.

Teknoman

TheSeks said:
Wow, that sucks. The default camera is WAAAAY far back (good for six players, I guess, but yeah). And fumbling with the camera controls (and you can't get the damn thing to switch unless you leave it outside the game you're in at 2x/3x NO REGISTER ANYTHING ELSE) is horrible.

That said: The gameplay is okay with the exception of the "safe points" being able to be attacked. What good is going into a menu to heal/change equipment if I'm going to be hit in a "safe point?" So goddamn stupid.

I'll buy the game when it's on sale. Sorry, Iga but $15 is too rich for my blood for a time limit "single-player" Castlevania.

You're supposed to play at 3x and just zoom out when you want to know where every is I guess. Really all you need is 3x and full size in the camera settings.

Bossniak

Only problem I am encountering is when I try to join a online game, the book pages are infinite it never stoops! Still going as I speak.

JesseZao

Just played the trial mode solo. I got to the boss and died.

My first complaint is how slow I walk and secondly the joke of calling this castlevania "HD." I went back and played SotN and the art the used for the XBLA version was much more visually appealing to me (and you were closer to the action).

Maybe none of this would matter if I was hoping around with 5 other pals, but it feels like a step backward and isn't more fun than playing SotN. I also didn't like the use of those book stations to use/equip stuff...

Will give it another chance in a day or so, but I was really expecting to like every SoA game this year, but I've only pulled the trigger with Limbo. Hydro Thunder is fun, but it wasn't something I needed to own right now.

Here's to hoping MNC and Lara Croft have fun demos that will hook me in.

Wizpig

snoopeasystreet said:
I made a group Gamertag.

Add GAFlevania HD if want to play with other gaffers.
Thanks!
Add it to the OP, thread title or whatever!

Since we'll be using this meta-tag i'll free some space in my friend list again if you guys don't mind.
Ganondorfo said:
Does this game have a new soundtrack or are they using the old popular tunes from the castlevania series?
New soundtrack, actually.

Teknoman

JesseZao said:
Just played the trial mode solo. I got to the boss and died.

My first complaint is how slow I walk and secondly the joke of calling this castlevania "HD." I went back and played SotN and the art the used for the XBLA version was much more visually appealing to me (and you were closer to the action).

Maybe none of this would matter if I was hoping around with 5 other pals, but it feels like a step backward and isn't more fun than playing SotN. I also didn't like the use of those book stations to use/equip stuff...

Will give it another chance in a day or so, but I was really expecting to like every SoA game this year, but I've only pulled the trigger with Limbo. Hydro Thunder is fun, but it wasn't something I needed to own right now.

Here's to hoping MNC and Lara Croft have fun demos that will hook me in.

Zoom in to 3x level.

Teppic said:
In the demo you'll lose all you gained when you die. Is it the same with the full version?

Nope.

Been playing for 2-3 hours.

The multiplayer is worth the 1200 points.
I do not recommend this for solo.

Although I think you all should play it now while it's still fresh, because I expect most will get bored of the maps in 3-4 weeks.
You do not want to play this when there's no one online.

Myomoto

The netcode of this game seems amazing. I live in Europe and have been playing with people from America and Japan without anything that even remotely resembled lag. At all.

JesseZao

Wizpig said:
that's because SotN is Ps1 and had a high budget, these sprites/backgrounds are ripped from the DS games.

It really saddens me that this is the case. Producing a polished 2D Castlevania for XBLA/PSN seems like it would be an excellent non-Kojima moneymaker for Konami. I want Iga to be given the opportunity to make such a game, but Konami sending out a no-budget remix that doesn't even let me try the multiplayer doesn't make sense to me. It just looks like a milked franchise. I understand they want to breakout 3D CV again, but has history taught them nothing?

Basically, I want this to be excellent so badly, but I can't see my support for this game producing the game I wanted later on (which seems like the only reason I would have to overlook the flaws and the unfun single player I was allowed to play in the trial). I don't think I'd be complaining if this was released at 400 points, maybe 800 points. Just like I wouldn't have bought Deadly Premonition at $60, but it was a great deal and worth picking up at $20.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Gah; first impressions: yes, the Konami $2 budget indeed.

This game is basically an interesting idea, that is utter garbage in terms of the effort, time and thought that went into it, made fun (surprisingly fun) by the inherent awesomeness of multiple players ripping through a metroidvania castle.

This could have been truly epic had it been a real game.

As it is, 1200 points for a romhack flash game that happens to be real fun with a party of five.

I've seen a lot of people casting this and enjoying the game on JTV. If they continue to introduce DLC it may do really well. I also watched single player and noticed it seemed fun too.

The demo is sooo bad... It looks okay zoomed all the way out, but normal view is pretty much just sticking daggers in your eyeballs.

WHY IS THERE NO MULTIPLAYER? Such a terrible decision. I couldn't figure out how to heal up so I just died at the boss. Yayyyy :L

Teknoman

Son of Godzilla said:
The demo is sooo bad... It looks okay zoomed all the way out, but normal view is pretty much just sticking daggers in your eyeballs.

WHY IS THERE NO MULTIPLAYER? Such a terrible decision. I couldn't figure out how to heal up so I just died at the boss. Yayyyy :L

:lol the zoomed in view isnt that bad. Healing, well you have to buy items, equip them, then Hold RT (item menu) and press LT (activate)

Theres a few original tracks, but alot of the stuff is remixed DS title music.

divisionbyzorro said:
So - does anyone know how to get Shanoa to absorb new powers? I've played about an hour and a half and I haven't seen a single glyph appear...

I guess look out for magic using enemies, or enemies with some glow around them, at least thats what I noticed when playing awhile ago in a party with two Shanoa. Speaking of which, partying with 4+ people is fun.

I really like this game. I'm playing by myself right now but I'm still finding enjoyment out of it.

I'm sure it's more fun with friends though. But I'm glad I got it! :)

Being a huge fan of the Metroidvania games help of course!

Ridley327

divisionbyzorro said:
So - does anyone know how to get Shanoa to absorb new powers? I've played about an hour and a half and I haven't seen a single glyph appear...
Some enemies that have spell wind-ups that show the glyph before they launch it, while the rest are drops.

I have to eat some partial crow on this game (single player is as bad as I thought), since the co-op is pretty awesome.

Coldsnap

This game is a ripper, was fun playing online with Gaf people. My TV shut off so I'm gonna do some stuff, will be back later.

If this game had the money, time and resources being put into God of Vania then I think it might just have been my favourite in the series. As it stands it's still a very fun venture and taking in mind the shoestring Iga had to develop this with my only complaint is there aren't enough options in matchmaking, adding the ability to search for games taking place on a specific level would make this title perfect for what it is.

Teknoman

Coldsnap said:
This game is a ripper, was fun playing online with Gaf people. My TV shut off so I'm gonna do some stuff, will be back later.

Yeah i'll be back tonight.

EDIT: I guess i'll post a list of the selectable music tracks (its like DX chronicles where after beating a stage, you can replace it's theme if you want).

fernoca

Okay; any tips when it comes to jump? :p
I sometimes get to high places with no problem, but others is like I can't; even though I know I can reach. :lol

Top Bottom