• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow "Reverie" |OT|

Franck-Ribery-001.jpg

Fantasmo

brandonh83 said:
I was doing that... guess I'll do it... better?

edit: nope, still not working. wonder if it's a bug or something.

Shadow magic. Hold Block. Double tap toward the wall.

Chris FOM said:
I must be stupid, but I can't figure out the chessboard puzzle.

I realize that the banners tell you the position of the pieces and that they're not oriented the same, but the book and the red/green colors should indicate which side is which across the three. So why do I line up the pieces exactly like they say, but it doesn't work?

I'd like this explained as well. I had to use experience for the solution. The solution doesn't seem right compared to the different maps.

Is my game broken? I'm having a lot of trouble here in what seems like a spot I shouldn't have died more than once...
I CANNOT make Gabriel jump backwards up the wooden scaffoldings that break after 2 seconds in the second level and I've died like 20 times here... any tips?

StunandStab said:
Is my game broken? I'm having a lot of trouble here in what seems like a spot I shouldn't have died more than once...
I CANNOT make Gabriel jump backwards up the wooden scaffoldings that break after 2 seconds in the second level and I've died like 20 times here... any tips?

Basically just wall jump, I messed up there too, as soon as you jump to the plank that initiates the crumbling, just tap the jump button. I think.

Fantasmo

StunandStab said:

Where you bounce back and forth upward? Don't hold backwards, just jump, let him face the other way on his own, and jump again. Basically, jump, jump, jump etc.

junkster said:
Where you bounce back and forth upward? Don't hold backwards, just jump, let him face the other way on his own, and jump again. Basically, jump, jump, jump etc.

Thank you to both of you who replied. That helped.

I can't believe I never tried doing that after dying so many times -_-

ban25

Chessboard Puzzle Solution:
You need to look at the orientation of each of the hint chessboard banners, they are rotated (look at the book, which should appear at the bottom).

Fantasmo

Np, stunandstab.

Chris FOM said:
Finally looked up the solution, and am pretty annoyed. The color of each piece matters, not just its type.

I actually noticed that but it still didn't seem right according to the maps. Like one of em was in the wrong physical spot. Eh whatever.

burgerdog

junkster said:
Np, stunandstab.

I actually noticed that but it still didn't seem right according to the maps. Like one of em was in the wrong physical spot. Eh whatever.
Two pieces are switched. The tips don't give it all away.

RPGCrazied

This doesn't have story, right? Its just like killing random things in stages? I want the one that has more story to the ending.

EdgeTurn

RPGCrazied said:
This doesn't have story, right? Its just like killing random things in stages? I want the one that has more story to the ending.

No, this has story, and imo is the more interesting of the two. It deals with events after the climax of the game, while the next dlc takes place after the epilogue (which I wasn't too crazy about so your milage may vary).

jackdoe

There were some pretty sadistic segments of this DLC, but I enjoyed it for what it was. $9.99 was kind of steep, but I've paid more for less so I'm not too upset about it.
It just feels like we're missing a boss fight though. Unless they're saving it for Resurrection which would be kind of lame.

I was looking at the New Releases on PSN and saw this. I didn't even know this was coming. Anyway, haven't beaten the original game so I will wait until I have. Will also wait for impressions and decide if its worth it or not.

Whose brilliant idea was it for you to start at the same amount of health you had when you finished the final boss?

I have a sliver left and can't get more than two feet.

Fantasmo

Oh my lord. Guys if you're on the fence about this, it's only 1 chapter with 3 very short parts. That was like 2 hours long at best.

Contents:
A few short platforming sections. 6 or so puzzles, 6 or so battles, no new enemies, and no bosses at all. The extra story was okay, but didn't wow me. Can't see much reason to play a higher difficulty. Definitely don't feel like $10 is a fair price.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
junkster said:
Oh my lord. Guys if you're on the fence about this, it's only 1 chapter with 3 very short parts. That was like 2 hours long at best.

Contents:
A few short platforming sections. 6 or so puzzles, 6 or so battles, no new enemies, and no bosses at all. The extra story was okay, but didn't wow me. Can't see much reason to play a higher difficulty. Definitely don't feel like $10 is a fair price.

Had a feeling; glad I didn't pull the trigger.

DLC story expansions, sadly, always seem to fall short in every category; just a little too short, a little too easy, too simple, missing a couple of staples from the core game
like full bosses... or any bosses.

Will wait to see if they have a deal eventually for both DLC chapters together.

Fantasmo

Kaijima said:
Had a feeling; glad I didn't pull the trigger.

DLC story expansions, sadly, always seem to fall short in every category; just a little too short, a little too easy, too simple, missing a couple of staples from the core game
like full bosses... or any bosses.

Will wait to see if they have a deal eventually for both DLC chapters together.

Undead Nightmare felt right but otherwise I'm right there with ya.
I don't know what I expected, but 4 or 5 hours with all new content would have been nice.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Yeah, I think its not worth the 10. I am still fairly in, but if there are indeed no bosses... meh. The platforming so far is fine, the initial puzzle was a bit confusing but not frustrating to figure, it has some interesting segments. I am still in the middle of the DLC... but for 10... Heh. I did notice a new score in the second level, or at least I think it was new. Never used perhaps.

Also, comic book scenes = Cheaaaaaap.

They didn't put their inspiration behind this. Hopefully the next one is much better.

Pros:
Very cool ending. Loved it.
Nice puzzles that are kinda fun.
Couple of great backdrops.
Great, stylistic cutscenes.

Cons:
Some annoying segments.
No bosses or new enemies.
Way too short.
No new music.
Breaks a lot of promises*

Overall:
Some neat stuff, and I really liked the final scene a lot. As a huge fan of the game it's a treat to get some new material. However, the content itself is nowhere near being worth $10. Honestly they should have simply waited until Resurrection was finished, and combined them both as one DLC for $10. I'm sure that would be worth it, but unless you absolutely loved the main game, it's not. And this is coming from me.

If Resurrection is like this, and they charge $10 for both... it would be a crime against humanity. But that's looking to be the case.

The Forgotten One? Awesome! Can't wait to fight it! But you don't. Lower levels of the castle that were abandoned? Oh man, such potential... wasted. It's basically just the same kind of atmosphere that you already experienced in the main game. Fingers of Frankenstein? Time travel? Yes! But, no. The fingers of Frankenstein merely serve as collectathon material, and the only reason you use the time travel is to go back in time so that the upper floor isn't missing anymore? Fucking PLEASE. Just what the fuck.

6/10

ban25

canadian crowe said:
Whose brilliant idea was it for you to start at the same amount of health you had when you finished the final boss?

I have a sliver left and can't get more than two feet.

If you die, it should give you more health when you continue. If not, just go back to the first level in Chapter 1. There's some quick, easy health there.

ban25

junkster said:

Contents:

I'd say it's a bit more than that. The second level is pretty good size and there are some cool moments (
playing as Laura!
). Your mileage may vary, of course, but this was GOTY for me, so more content is a huge win in my book.

Wow... a lot of DLC has disappointed me before, but I've never felt so completely ripped off. I can't believe I paid $10 for this.

Sidzed2

Oh gee, I don't know whether to pull the trigger... loved the main game, but this sounds meagre and lacklustre.

Zeal

Banned
Someone post when 360 goes live. Sorry to hear about the length, lack of bosses, and no new music...damn. gonna go ahead and drop the $10 anyhow cause I just finished Crysis 2 (very underwelming, IMO) and I'm desperate for anything to play.

This was also my goty, easily. Loved every aspect of it, and will gladly pay 10 just for a continuation of the story alone.

Hmm. Glad I waited for some opinions. I might wait to buy this until it goes on sale along with the other DLC. I'm prepared to wait.

jackdoe

brandonh83 said:
I mean granted it's only $10, but if 3 stages = $10, the main game would have been about $150.
That's true. I thought it was overpriced. But I don't regret buying it as I had more fun with it than I had with Dragon Age 2 (which I paid $60 for and have yet to finish due to sheer boredom with the game).

jackdoe said:
That's true. I thought it was overpriced. But I don't regret buying it as I had more fun with it than I had with Dragon Age 2 (which I paid $60 for and have yet to finish due to sheer boredom with the game).

I don't regret buying it, I liked what was there and $10 isn't exactly going to make me go bankrupt, but based on the amount of content you get and the fact that another DLC is coming very shortly, charging $10 for both, separately (presumably Resurrection will be $10 as well) is incredibly stupid.

Foffy

Banned
Man, another case of Konami overpricing digital content?

I think it's almost intentional to make this stuff overpriced..though Harmony of Despair was the worst case of it.

Teknoman

brandonh83 said:
Pros:
Very cool ending. Loved it.
Nice puzzles that are kinda fun.
Couple of great backdrops.
Great, stylistic cutscenes.

Cons:
Some annoying segments.
No bosses or new enemies.
Way too short.
No new music.
Breaks a lot of promises*

Overall:
Some neat stuff, and I really liked the final scene a lot. As a huge fan of the game it's a treat to get some new material. However, the content itself is nowhere near being worth $10. Honestly they should have simply waited until Resurrection was finished, and combined them both as one DLC for $10. I'm sure that would be worth it, but unless you absolutely loved the main game, it's not. And this is coming from me.

If Resurrection is like this, and they charge $10 for both... it would be a crime against humanity. But that's looking to be the case.

The Forgotten One? Awesome! Can't wait to fight it! But you don't. Lower levels of the castle that were abandoned? Oh man, such potential... wasted. It's basically just the same kind of atmosphere that you already experienced in the main game. Fingers of Frankenstein? Time travel? Yes! But, no. The fingers of Frankenstein merely serve as collectathon material, and the only reason you use the time travel is to go back in time so that the upper floor isn't missing anymore? Fucking PLEASE. Just what the fuck.

6/10

Bloody tears indeed.

RPGCrazied said:
2 hours for $10? Wow. The game was good, but I might wait. I'm a cheap gamer. :p

Ugh, I thought it was $5 for the DLC. 2 hours for $5 I'd do, but $10? I think I may wait and see if it ever goes on sale.

Also,
not allowing Laura to kill a single enemy was a terrible trial... I had to grab every ghoul and use the summon crystal in order to do it...

The other trials don't sound too bad, though. I might as well get all those trophies out of my $10. It will look nice to keep that 100% on this game anyway

Beth Cyra

Still haven't finished the main game (Frame Rate and Art Style killed it for me) and from the sounds of it this doesn't do anything that would make me interested except maybe the story, but I didn't care about it either really so I can safely skip this one.

TruePrime said:
Still haven't finished the main game (Frame Rate and Art Style killed it for me) and from the sounds of it this doesn't do anything that would make me interested except maybe the story, but I didn't care about it either really so I can safely skip this one.

Honestly those who haven't bought it yet might do well to just simply watch Youtube videos of the cutscenes.

Trevelyon

StunandStab said:
Wow... a lot of DLC has disappointed me before, but I've never felt so completely ripped off. I can't believe I paid $10 for this.

Yikes! Will wait for a a Reverie/Ressurection combo ON clearance, before I jump back in.

Trevelyon said:
Yikes! Will wait for a a Reverie/Ressurection combo ON clearance, before I jump back in.

That sounds like a good idea. I wish I had waited as it is inevitable there will be a combo I'm sure.

Btw, the DLC I've been disappointed by before is as follows, in order of least disappointed to most:
RE5 (Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape). Reason: Length
Assassin's Creed II (Battle of Forli and Bonfire of the Vanities). Reason: Length, content
Dead Space 2 (Severed). Reason: Length, content, AND price.

As for this DLC, I am upset about the short length, the lack of new content and (imo) poor quality of the content that there is, and the price is just way too high. I had similar feelings about Dead Space 2: Severed, but it takes a close second place for being a little bit cheaper.

Kaldea

Still can't wait to give this a try. I've wanted more of the game since I finished it and I think I'll be happy with a couple more hours.

Beth Cyra

StunandStab said:
That sounds like a good idea. I wish I had waited as it is inevitable there will be a combo I'm sure.

Btw, the DLC I've been disappointed by before is as follows, in order of least disappointed to most:
RE5 (Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape). Reason: Length
Assassin's Creed II (Battle of Forli and Bonfire of the Vanities). Reason: Length, content
Dead Space 2 (Severed). Reason: Length, content, AND price.

As for this DLC, I am upset about the short length, the lack of new content and (imo) poor quality of the content that there is, and the price is just way too high. I had similar feelings about Dead Space 2: Severed, but it takes a close second place for being a little bit cheaper.

While I had issues with this, mainly the lack of enemies I thought it was worth it even with it's short length.

It is one of the reasons I really wish the Director had been able to make the RE5 he wanted instead of what we got because I think he could've pulled it off.

jackdoe

TruePrime said:
While I had issues with this, mainly the lack of enemies I thought it was worth it even with it's short length.

It is one of the reasons I really wish the Director had been able to make the RE5 he wanted instead of what we got because I think he could've pulled it off.
Lost in Nightmares was fine. Desperate Escape was weak though. It lacked a lot of the flair that Lost in Nightmares had.

Top Bottom