• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow "Reverie" |OT|

burgerdog

:/ Rarely am I disappointed with the stuff I buy, but $10 for this was criminal. There was some super annoying sections that I feel were there to extend the pathetic length of the dlc. Right after finishing the dlc I ran through it again and I was done in 30 minutes.

Lords of Shadow: One of the best $60 I have spent on a game this gen.

Reverie: I should have bought avatar items with those $10.

Ressurection: Watching on YouTube and buying it when it goes on sale.

jackdoe

Zabka said:
Did I just pay $10 to waste my time on a stupid fucking spinning blade wall puzzle

What the fuck
It's not too bad, especially since you can stop the blades at any time and they usually go in different directions on different levels. But I said fuck all to exploration cause I didn't want to risk dying again.

Teknoman said:
I'm liking these comic cutscenes more than normal in-game scenes. The PSP Metal Gear games had the same effect on me.

Good thing too, considering you more or less spent $10 to watch a few of them.

For real though the last cutscene is really, really good. Not the mega-twist that Konami is touting it to be because of the epilogue, but still pretty cool.

Teknoman

brandonh83 said:
Good thing too, considering you more or less spent $10 to watch a few of them.

For real though the last cutscene is really, really good. Not the mega-twist that Konami is touting it to be because of the epilogue, but still pretty cool.

lol yeah i'm just getting started on the dlc, but alot of these review posts are making me have buyer's remorse before really even getting into it.

Vrakanox

This was way too short for $10. I liked it, the puzzles were cool, but it should have been $2.99. Oh yeah and mist form as the girl is awesome.

I think $5.99 would have been okay, but even then I could have gotten Legend of Mana instead. But for $10, I mean that would buy a standard PSN title.

So... yeah, $2.99 is about right.

jackdoe

Vrakanox said:
This was way too short for $10. I liked it, the puzzles were cool, but it should have been $2.99. Oh yeah and mist form as the girl is awesome.
I instantly thought back to Symphony of the Night with the mist form.

Wallachia

DLC just finished installing. Let's see if you whiners are right..

At this point, I feel like $10 isn't much. That's like.. what, 2 Starbucks coffees?

Barakov

Gold Member
Beat this tonight. This DLC was just one giant cockblock. Hopefully, Resurrection is a whole lot more content wise.

jackdoe said:
Lost in Nightmares was fine. Desperate Escape was weak though. It lacked a lot of the flair that Lost in Nightmares had.

Lost in Nightmares was definitely good, hence it being highest on my list. It just so happened to be my first DLC ever so I went in expecting something a little bit lengthier.

I liked Desperate Escape quite a lot, too, actually. Both RE5 DLC's had great replayability and I had tons of fun playing both of them many times over with my friends... thinking about it now maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned it =P

Wallachia said:
DLC just finished installing. Let's see if you whiners are right..

At this point, I feel like $10 isn't much. That's like.. what, 2 Starbucks coffees?

When you think about it like that it doesn't really sound too bad, yeah. I could easily spend more than $10 on a burger or something.
This DLC WAS responsible for me going "HOLY SHIT I FORGOT HOW FUN THIS GAME WAS!" in response to the first battle... it was kinda all downhill from there, though.

So does this justify slogging through the rest of the game? Not that I would actually spend a third of the game's current value on DLC, but I'd probably bite on the inevitable combo re-release if the added content between now and then was of higher quality than what I played a few months ago.

Wallachia

Freyjadour said:
So does this justify slogging through the rest of the game? Not that I would actually spend a third of the game's current value on DLC, but I'd probably bite on the inevitable combo re-release if the added content between now and then was of higher quality than what I played a few months ago.

I'd say the ending/epilogue of the full game justifies beating it. And yes, I would say this DLC along with the 2nd one that is coming, justify it as well, assuming you like the full game. I like this DLC. I'm at the end of the middle section so far, and I like the little surprises and other playable character :)

Wesker

So all the cutscenes are in comic style?

Why this choice? Budget reason?
Last cutscenes in LOS were great... Kojima's hands were noticeable.

Wallachia

Wesker said:
So all the cutscenes are in comic style?

Why this choice? Budget reason?
Last cutscenes in LOS were great... Kojima's hands were noticeable.

Probably partly budget, and maybe partly Kojima (since it harkens to some of the PSP Metal Gear cutscene styles). It works for me, at least in this DLC. There are still some in-game scenes that are great, too..

AEREC

I probably wont play this DLC for a while but I bought it anyways since this was one of my favorite games of last year, let along this generation.

NeoUltima

I enjoyed it. Lots of neat puzzles and mechanics introduced. A little short for $10. Took a little under 3 hours.
Not sure how I feel about the new cutscenes...It's obvious they have them because they wanted to keep the budget low(I assume mo-capping is expensive). I'd much rather have had real cutscenes(and longer cutscenes) but I guess I understand.

Yuterald

Just finished it with all trophies earned. I liked it. But it was way too expensive for the amount of content/length. The puzzles were really bad ass though. All of them were as good or even better than what the full game offered. The new environment "enemy" was cool, but It was definitely disappointing to see that there was no new enemy for Gabriel to fight or boss even.

The new artwork scenes looked nice and everything, but I would have preferred real cutscenes. Oh well, I got my 100% back so whatever.

BTW, are the trophies not syncing for anyone else? I unlocked them all, but my profile is not recognizing them for some reason. It's really weird.

Teknoman

The chess puzzle was kinda cool, but i'm not sure who decided to make the blade puzzle have such a far away camera position.

$10 is a fucking ripoff for what you get. ffs the first stage is a reused level. my advice is to skip this and just watch the cutscenes on youtube.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Tizoc said:
Sigh, when is Europe getting this?

Not today, anyway. Next week? Anyway, the OP should be changed to mention that it's not out on PSN everywhere yet.

Loved the game, and the ending + epilogue blew me away (seriously, it's worth beating the game just to see that - amazingly, nobody spoiled it for me until I saw it myself a few days ago, so it was an awesome surprise), but it seems like this DLC might not be worth the $10. Will probably wait until it's cheaper.

RoadHazard said:
Not today, anyway. Next week? Anyway, the OP should be changed to mention that it's not out on PSN everywhere yet.

Loved the game, and the ending + epilogue blew me away (seriously, it's worth beating the game just to see that), but it seems like this DLC might not be worth the $10. Will probably wait until it's cheaper.

Between the less than glowing impressions and whatever incompetence has lead to Europe having to wait when the game was made in fucking Europe, I might just join you on waiting it out. At the very least they've killed my buzz and made me wait until Resurrection is out and people have played it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I don't really get why people complain at the length of the dlc since pretty much its almost half of what a God of War game last. Also the games people buy lately which 60 bucks for a 5-8 hour singleplayer games. (God of War Im looking at you).

This DLC lasts almost the half the time that it takes to finish a GOW game.

Aru

WickedLaharl said:
$10 is a fucking ripoff for what you get. ffs the first stage is a reused level. my advice is to skip this and just watch the cutscenes on youtube.

That's what I'll be doing. I didn't enjoy LoS enough to buy DLC. I might buy Resurrection if it really add something to the plot, but not Reverie.
I just hope the sequel gets revamped to feel like a real Castlevania game.

jackdoe

Pupi18 said:
I don't really get why people complain at the length of the dlc since pretty much its almost half of what a God of War game last. Also the games people buy lately which 60 bucks for a 5-8 hour singleplayer games. (God of War Im looking at you).

This DLC lasts almost the half the time that it takes to finish a GOW game.
No. While I enjoyed the DLC, I think this is bullshit. God of War 3 veers towards the eight to ten hour mark. No way in hell this DLC could take you 4 to 5 hours to complete.

[Nintex]

I haven't played this yet but I guess we've been spoiled by the original Lords of Shadow. I never expected the DLC to be more than a couple of new areas to mess around in.

[Nintex] said:
I haven't played this yet but I guess we've been spoiled by the original Lords of Shadow. I never expected the DLC to be more than a couple of new areas to mess around in.
I don't think content is the problem, it's the price for that content.

the chris

-Pyromaniac- said:
I don't think content is the problem, it's the price for that content.
Agreed, I was so happy when the content showed up in the PSN store, but then I saw the price and was immediately put off. I wasn't expecting new areas, but for the price I'm expecting at least an extra 2 hours at least of content.

LowParry

I'm sad to hear that it's a short DLC and not worth the money. I suppose I'll wait to see if it drops in the price in the future or offered as a bundle with the next DLC. They've said that the next DLC is going to be beefy right?

Spiegel

the chris said:
Agreed, I was so happy when the content showed up in the PSN store, but then I saw the price and was immediately put off. I wasn't expecting new areas, but for the price I'm expecting at least an extra 2 hours at least of content.

NeoUltima said:
I enjoyed it. Lots of neat puzzles and mechanics introduced. A little short for $10. Took a little under 3 hours.
Not sure how I feel about the new cutscenes...It's obvious they have them because they wanted to keep the budget low(I assume mo-capping is expensive). I'd much rather have had real cutscenes(and longer cutscenes) but I guess I understand.

?

2-3 hours of content for 8€/10$ seems fine to me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Was anything in the opening post a spoiler besides the marked one? I hope not :/

(I haven't started the game yet)

Wallachia

I'm probably midpoint in the last stage of the DLC, and to me, it's worth the price. I will probably play it again to collect certain items, as well as enjoy the set pieces, and play as the other playable character. Happy customer :)
(ok, and lifetime CV freak)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
jackdoe said:
No. While I enjoyed the DLC, I think this is bullshit. God of War 3 veers towards the eight to ten hour mark. No way in hell this DLC could take you 4 to 5 hours to complete.

I said almost half and not exactly half. I can finish God of War 3 in 8 hours or a bit less. The other games are around the same or less. Still people pay full price for short games. I'm not trying to talk bad about God of War in terms of quality because the game doesn't lack in quality at all. Still the length is short for what you are paying compared to other games like Bayonetta, Darksiders and CLOS.

Fantasmo

It's not the money. It feels like one long stage 2d game stage. That's why I feel burned. Its like buying 2 Megaman stage for $10. If it was a batman challenge mode or RE mercenaries mode with no new content, using main game areas, increasing difficulty, and bosses id honestly feel better.

the chris

Spiegel said:
?

Really, I heard some people complaining that it was only an hour long, maybe I'll get it for my birthday next week with the Mass Effect 2 dlc. Thanks for the heads up.

NeoUltima

Spiegel said:
?

When you think about it in terms of a $60 game...I guess your right. But compared to other things you can buy for $10 on the PSstore you can get more 'content' for your money.

I don't regret my purchase btw, and I will be buying Resurrection day 1 for $10 as well.

the chris said:
Really, I heard some people complaining that it was only an hour long, maybe I'll get it for my birthday next week with the Mass Effect 2 dlc. Thanks for the heads up.
Maybe an hour if they unlock the puzzle solutions immedietly.
...Which would be stupid to do /w this DLC. There is actually very little combat, its mostly puzzles and platforming.

Spiegel said:

The actual length is somewhat reasonable for the price, but I think it's the actual content that is disappointing. Can't elaborate without spoilers, though:

Like I said a page or two back, the worst thing about the DLC is the fact that it feels like a teaser/prelude for Resurrection, and it's not that fulfilling at all. It will take you a few hours to get through it, but the disappointment comes from the fact that you only get 3 new stages that are mostly comprised of puzzles with an awesome sounding oncoming boss battle that you don't get to play yet. Also, I was upset that the three new stages didn't really offer much in terms of new atmosphere. It was literally like playing through some of the same levels you already played, and I feel that they dropped the ball when it comes to that.

Exploring the lower levels of the castle could have been incredible and rich in atmosphere. Just look at the lower levels of Symphony of the Night. Just plain dark and creepy. Here, it's just more of the same, and again while it does take a few hours, most of that time is spent treading through very familiar looking territory and solving puzzles.

And to add insult to injury, it leaves you on a cliffhanger. $10 isn't much money and it is a few hours, but the actual content itself leaves a ton to be desired, especially since this was a golden opportunity to give fans of the main game some fresh new places to explore, but it just ends up feeling very repetitive with hardly any payoff.

/********
TOTALLY OT
********/

Is there a consensus on best DS Castlevania?

EDIT: is it just DoS and PoR? I've played DoS and it's awesome. For some reason I thought there was 3 of them.

the chris

NeoUltima said:
Maybe an hour if they unlock the puzzle solutions immedietly.
...Which would be stupid to do /w this DLC. There is actually very little combat, its mostly puzzles and platforming.
Is there at least a cool looking boss fight or some sort of payoff at the end of the dlc?

Tadale

gregor7777 said:
/********
TOTALLY OT
********/

Is there a consensus on best DS Castlevania?

EDIT: is it just DoS and PoR? I've played DoS and it's awesome. For some reason I thought there was 3 of them.

I think Dawn of Sorrow is the best. I don't like how OoE is broken down into different levels, and I think the soul collecting system in DoS is one of the best things in the entire series.

EDIT: OoE is Order of Ecclesia

MrMephistoX

WickedLaharl said:

Looks like I'll take that route if fans are complaining this much it must be bad considering some of the horrendous design work in the main game. I'm 75% a fan of LOS don't give me wrong but 4 hours of werewolf slogging before getting to the awesome castle sections was not my idea of a good time.

Wallachia

brandonh83 said:
The actual length is somewhat reasonable for the price, but I think it's the actual content that is disappointing. Can't elaborate without spoilers, though:

Like I said a page or two back, the worst thing about the DLC is the fact that it feels like a teaser/prelude for Resurrection, and it's not that fulfilling at all. It will take you a few hours to get through it, but the disappointment comes from the fact that you only get 3 new stages that are mostly comprised of puzzles with an awesome sounding oncoming boss battle that you don't get to play yet. Also, I was upset that the three new stages didn't really offer much in terms of new atmosphere. It was literally like playing through some of the same levels you already played, and I feel that they dropped the ball when it comes to that.

Exploring the lower levels of the castle could have been incredible and rich in atmosphere. Just look at the lower levels of Symphony of the Night. Just plain dark and creepy. Here, it's just more of the same, and again while it does take a few hours, most of that time is spent treading through very familiar looking territory and solving puzzles.

And to add insult to injury, it leaves you on a cliffhanger. $10 isn't much money and it is a few hours, but the actual content itself leaves a ton to be desired, especially since this was a golden opportunity to give fans of the main game some fresh new places to explore, but it just ends up feeling very repetitive with hardly any payoff.
I will give you that.. it DOES feel like a teaser to the next DLC, and my face felt a bit transformed into a cartoon jackass because of that. But I think the hidden bowels of the castle had a GREAT atmosphere and CV feel to them..

MoxManiac

Spiegel said:
?

It's not fine to me. $10 can actually buy you a lot in today's video game market. There are tons of XBLA/PSN games in that range that can give you many hours. Or many clearance retail games. Or hell, you can go on Steam or GOG.com and probably find some really nice gems for that much.

Tadale said:
I think Dawn of Sorrow is the best. I don't like how OoE is broken down into different levels, and I think the soul collecting system in DoS is one of the best things in the entire series.

EDIT: OoE is Order of Ecclesia

Nice, thanks

Top Bottom