• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow "Reverie" |OT|

Wallachia said:
I will give you that.. it DOES feel like a teaser to the next DLC, and my face felt a bit transformed into a cartoon jackass because of that. But I think the hidden bowels of the castle had a GREAT atmosphere and CV feel to them..

They did but I felt that the castle in the main game also had the CV feel. The second stage was definitely cool with the throwback to the
merman creatures, though they were different
but overall it was just short and felt like more of the same without any new substantial content.

jackdoe

brandonh83 said:
They did but I felt that the castle in the main game also had the CV feel. The second stage was definitely cool with the throwback to the
merman creatures, though they were different
but overall it was just short and felt like more of the same without any new substantial content.
I just feel that if they had included one more stage (the actual boss fight that this is all leading up to) then the DLC would have felt so much more substantial. And Konami should have included it.

jackdoe said:
I just feel that if they had included one more stage (the actual boss fight that this is all leading up to) then the DLC would have felt so much more substantial. And Konami should have included it.

Yeah, that's the problem I had, it built up to a few things without fulfilling them just yet so it felt like I paid for something very incomplete. A while ago I was under the impression that the Reverie DLC would cover one aspect of the story and Resurrection would be something completely different
showing us what happens after the epilogue of the main game
so the fact that both DLC's sort of run together is rather disappointing to me.

I think both DLC's together will feel like one good, substantial DLC, but that's the problem, it's like they made one very good DLC but split it in half in favor of charging people twice.

Wallachia

Just beat the Reverie DLC, and I still think it is a dynamic, varied and action-packed outing. BUT, the ending..

Eventhough I expected us to find out how Gabriel turns into a vampire in this DLC or the next.. I didn't expect it in THIS way, the way Laura offered her blood was kind of bleh, and in a comic quality cutscene at that. I didn't feel Gabriel's dire desperation enough. It's not that I don't think it's cool that he turns, I just expected the moment to be more epic and compelling. By the end of the DLC, it wasn't clear that he was turning, in order to stop this threat to the world, The Forgotten One..

I started playing through the DLC again to see if it made sense more. It's helping just A BIT, but still.. anyone agree?

Wallachia said:
Just beat the Reverie DLC, and I still think it is a dynamic, varied and action-packed outing. BUT, the ending..

Eventhough I expected us to find out how Gabriel turns into a vampire in this DLC or the next.. I didn't expect it in THIS way, the way Laura offered her blood was kind of bleh, and in a comic quality cutscene at that. I didn't feel Gabriel's dire desperation enough. It's not that I don't think it's cool that he turns, I just expected the moment to be more epic and compelling. By the end of the DLC, it wasn't clear that he was turning, in order to stop this threat to the world, The Forgotten One..

I started playing through the DLC again to see if it made sense more. It's helping just A BIT, but still.. anyone agree?

I completely agree with you as far as the spoilered bit goes

I didn't think Gabriel would do it like that at all and I really didn't feel his desperation. I think he should have outright said no first, then get talked into it more, then slowly he changes his mind, looks at it for a good 5-10 seconds, then drinks. Something like that. Though, I really couldn't tell if he was tricked into taking the blood at first or if he knew what it was going to do to him. Laura says her blood will "protect" him when he gets to the other side... was she saying this to trick him to drink her blood? Did he take the first drink not knowing what would happen to him? Obviously then he is forced to finish her off because he doesn't want to die, but the part before that confused me a bit

gregor7777 said:
/********
TOTALLY OT
********/

Is there a consensus on best DS Castlevania?

EDIT: is it just DoS and PoR? I've played DoS and it's awesome. For some reason I thought there was 3 of them.

I never played PoR or DoS, but I LOVED OoE. I LOVED IT. I still think it is a really great, amazing game. People are always saying Symphony of the Night is the best Castlevania game, but I enjoyed OoE far more (I played SoN after OoE). 2D Castlevanias anyway. I think LoS is the best Castlevania... not counting this DLC

NeoUltima

StunandStab said:
I completely agree with you as far as the spoilered bit goes

I didn't think Gabriel would do it like that at all and I really didn't feel his desperation. I think he should have outright said no first, then get talked into it more, then slowly he changes his mind, looks at it for a good 5-10 seconds, then drinks. Something like that. Though, I really couldn't tell if he was tricked into taking the blood at first or if he knew what it was going to do to him. Laura says her blood will "protect" him when he gets to the other side... was she saying this to trick him to drink her blood? Did he take the first drink not knowing what would happen to him? Obviously then he is forced to finish her off because he doesn't want to die, but the part before that confused me a bit
What I think they were going for...
Gabriel couldn't go in to kill Forgotten One w/o her powers...thus the world would be destroyed if he didn't. Problem was, the DLC never built up much tension /w the Forgotten One. There was no sense of urgency or crisis, which made that cutscene seem 'meh'

Wallachia

NeoUltima said:
What I think they were going for...
Gabriel couldn't go in to kill Forgotten One w/o her powers...thus the world would be destroyed if he didn't. Problem was, the DLC never built up much tension /w the Forgotten One. There was no sense of urgency or crisis, which made that cutscene seem 'meh'

Totally agree. Hopefully they can redeem that missing importance and tension in the prologue of Resurrection. They failed it on the end of this one.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I enjoyed Lords of Shadow but no new bosses or enemies is a deal breaker.
Trevelyon said:
Yikes! Will wait for a a Reverie/Ressurection combo ON clearance, before I jump back in.
Same here. 10 bucks is too steep for a 2 hour puzzle dlc and fucking comic book cutscenes. Shit I could buy an entire game on amazon for that.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
It wasn't bad at all. It has many good puzzles, controlling Laura was great, but the lack of new enemies (fuck Ghouls), no final boss and the weak cut scenes (not a fan of that comic book style) dampened my enjoyment. Also... it IS short. Maybe 1:30 hours max.

The final scene was fantastic though. Great plot development there at least.

So wait.. did something change? I thought the second DLC was to take place AFTER the epilogue. What's this "to be continued" business? So we'll be just continuing this DLC in the next? Not what I was looking forward to at all. I'll get it and love it anyway, but still. Dat epilogue...

Thaedolus

Zeal said:
Where the fuck is 360s? This is just unacceptable.

This. I only bought it on 360 because I didn't want to have issues with DLC since I've put CFW on my PS3. Now I'm getting pretty damn annoyed about the wait here

Wallachia

MoonsaultSlayer said:
So wait.. did something change? I thought the second DLC was to take place AFTER the epilogue. What's this "to be continued" business? So we'll be just continuing this DLC in the next? Not what I was looking forward to at all. I'll get it and love it anyway, but still. Dat epilogue...

Totally, I was under the impression we would get a connection to the epilogue in the Resurrection DLC. BUT, I wonder if Konami is wising up and realizing that the epilogue is such a win, that they should save the explanations and connections to that, in the proper sequel? Not that I WANT it that way, per se.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just out of curiosity, did they ever manage to improve performance in this game? The framerate was so lousy that it basically ruined my experience.

Tokubetsu

So I can't seem to complete this. I have to do that balance walk thing but Gabriel keeps getting stuck on something and then he keeps losing balance, falling off and there's no way to progress across the plank.

Top Bottom