• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catalan Independence Referendum(1-O) - The aftermath

turmoil

Banned
This indeed feels like Rajoy won doing nothing

Had he been smart and hadn't sent the police on 1-O and he would had been consolidated and praised as a statesman lol, but the dumbass can't resist his urges.

I thought I would never see someone spew as much shit as Rajoy does, but here comes Anna Gabriel.

Go away, you're drunk.

Oh, and you will be irrelevant in the future elections.

EDIT
This indeed feels like Rajoy won doing nothing

Had he been smart and hadn't sent the police on 1-O and he would had been consolidated and praised as a statesman lol, but the dumbass can't resist his urges.

The guy can exceed his dumbassery, I can see him sending Puigdemont to prison and approving the article 155.

If he is smart (doubtly) he will keep doing nothing and watch the independentists attack each other at the parliament from a distance

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
lol

It wasn’t bad but expected from Cs, I must admit I liked Iceta’s more.

Now it gets interesting, CUP’s Anna Gabriel..
Anna Gabriel is basically making her speech in a very inside out manner. Her intervention is very much catered towards the international audience.

I expect the real shit to happen behind closed doors and at a later date.

Makes sense - he should exhaust every single option available to him other than UDI before doing a UDI.

This is the same logic as exhausting every route to an independence referendum legally before doing a unilateral one.

Anna Gabriel is basically making her speech in a very inside out manner. Her intervention is very much catered towards the international audience.

I expect the real shit to happen behind closed doors and at a later date.

Yeah, me too, her speech was softer than expected, it didn’t seem to me she was upset because of this farce.

However it made me realize this show has been great for the CUP party, since I believe they will gain lots of new voters (specially young voters, students, and pro-independance voters disappointed of JxS), so things will get worse

I think we are even further away from a proper solution than ever.

turmoil

Banned
Added a small tidbit at the beginning of OP

Edit 1-10-2017: The president of the Catalan government gave an speech in the regional parliament, he said that the Catalan people won their right to independence, but when it seemed that he was to declare unilateral independence, he called the lawmakers present to postpone the declaration has a way of starting talks with the central government.

That’s exactly it.

Nice republic you had there mate... for eight seconds, at least.

I love how you much you like to reffer to Spain as the "spanish regime" (my sides), but non-independentists catalans are way better off with our "spanish regime" than with the way your atrocious Generalitat has been dealing with non-independentists for the last 30 years.

You brought this upon yourselves, and don't worry because us the majority will do our part at preventing your Generalitat from turning Catalonia into a third-country ridden with wannabe fascists trying to appeal to international authorities by playing victim.

Have you forged any catalonian history book yet?

How can this politician keep on repeating how badly they were beaten last 1-O? It’s annoying, they are still trying to sell the victimism card over and over

Ferr986

Justice minister just said that they can't act against a non-UDI, so they're probably not going to do anything

Ah, ok, honestly I'm scared as shit that Rajoy fucks it up somehow. If they're overdo it like in 1-Oct again, is another win for independentists.

How can this politician keep on repeating how badly they were beaten last 1-O? It’s annoying, they are still trying to sell the victimism card over and over

The Catalonian goverment are kings of playing victims and think they can win over Internation support by repeating that same thing over and over and over.

Justice minister just said that they can't act against a non-UDI, so they're probably not going to do anything

Officially it has been approved, but as we all know nobody in their right mind would accept it.

Business

Nice republic you had there mate... for eight seconds, at least.

I love how you much you like to reffer to Spain as the "spanish regime" (my sides), but non-independentists catalans are way better off with our "spanish regime" than with the way your atrocious Generalitat has been dealing with non-independentists for the last 30 years.

You brought this upon yourselves, and don't worry because us the majority will do our part at preventing your Generalitat from turning Catalonia into a third-country ridden with wannabe fascists trying to appeal to international authorities by playing victim.

Have you forged any catalonian history book yet?

I think there’s way too much hatred in your post to make any sense. Have we ever interacted before?

I think there's way too much hatred in your post to make any sense. Have we ever interacted before?

Naw, not hatred. Just checked your profile and saw you agreeing with someone that called Spain a "Regime".

I would love to see the international countries reaction to how the Generalitat treats non-separatists citizens before you decide blaming everything on the "spanish regime" (which I agree needs its Constitution to be reformed in order to get rid of fascist inheritance) and so far non-separatists catalans are so fucked by the Generalitat that the Spanish Regime (the fucked-up one) is our better choice.

We've just had enough and I'd wish everybody around the world could see how badly we are being mistreated by the Generalitat and how much Bullshit your president has spewn today.

Like Generalitat funding organisations in charge of anti-spanish propaganda such as ANC, Maulets and Omnium.

RocknRola

So, super confused about the latest news..... so Carles Puigdemont "declared" independence and also that it would be "suspended" for the time being? Wut.

turmoil

Banned
So, super confused about the latest news..... so Carles Puigdemont "declared" independence and also that it would be "suspended" for the time being? Wut.

That in the frame of what his govt considers legal, that isn't what Spain considers legal.

It seems that Spain will see this like a nothingburger

Business

Naw, not hatred. Just checked your profile and saw you agreeing with someone that called Spain a "Regime".

I would love to see the international countries reaction to how the Generalitat treats non-separatists citizens before you decide blaming everything on the "spanish regime" (which I agree needs its Constitution to be reformed in order to get rid of fascist inheritance) and so far non-separatists catalans are so fucked by the Generalitat that the Spanish Regime (the fucked-up one) is our better choice.

We've just had enough and I'd wish everybody around the world could see how badly we are being mistreated by the Generalitat and how much Bullshit your president has spewn today.

Like Generalitat funding organisations in charge of anti-spanish propaganda such as ANC, Maulets and Omnium.

Any solid examples on how the Catalan government has badly mistreated you due to your political views?

RocknRola

That in the frame of what his govt considers legal, that isn't what Spain considers legal.

It seems that Spain will see this like a nothingburger

I guess yeah, if they themselves declare it's "suspended" from the get go...why even declare it at that point? Super weird.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Lol
VVKANwq.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Hey look, it's Pablo Iglesias demanding to keep the status quo with a differentiated, special framework for Catalonia as a solution instead of offering a federal republic with equal rights for each region.

It's like he hates winning elections or something.

Cruixant

What are you referring to exactly when you say that the Generalitat has been mistreating non-separatists citizens? No ill intention, I just saw another poster claiming non-separatists catalans were being oppressed by our government and I have no idea what he is referring to. I'm non-separatist for the record, in case anyone jumps to conclusions.

turmoil

Banned
What is the game of that Rivera guy asking for 155 all the time? I thought he was center right disguised as center. Stealing votes from PP and being the big dog in a future coalition doesn't look sustainable when a good chunk of PPers are going to die of old age.

Ferr986

What is the game of that Rivera guy asking for 155 all the time? I thought he was center right disguised as center. Stealing votes from PP and being the big dog in a future coalition doesn't look sustainable when a good chunk of PPers are going to die of old age.

Cs have nothing of centrist if you ask me. About Rivera, he just want the 155 and elections in Catalonia to get into the gov. Cs, unlike PP, knows that they may have a chance here. He's just an oportunistic hack as always.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Ciudadanos has a lot of youth appeal. He's counting on stealing away those reactionary votes from the older generation while keeping the younger ones with more moderate social positions. Also, they are opportunistic beyond belief.

Itsaboldmovecotton.jpg

turmoil

Banned
Cs have nothing of centrist if you ask me. About Rivera, he just want the 155 and elections in Catalonia to get into the gov. Cs, unlike PP, knows that they may have a chance here. He's just an oportunistic hack as always.

Ciudadanos has a lot of youth appeal. He's counting on stealing away those reactionary votes from the older generation while keeping the younger ones with more moderate social positions. Also, they are opportunistic beyond belief.

Itsaboldmovecotton.jpg

Well, that explains it.

Thanks.

Acidote

Well, that explains it.

Thanks.

There's also another problem with Spanish politics. There isn't a single conservative or liberal party that isn't also deeply catholic. Even if it's not written on paper. That carries a huge social baggage on some fronts.

turmoil

Banned
There's also another problem with Spanish politics. There isn't a single conservative or liberal party that isn't also deeply catholic. Even if it's not written on paper. That carries a huge social baggage on some fronts.

Better than Argentina where everybody sucks Pope dick

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Ciudadanos is weird in the sense that their platform is rather unconcerned with religion, but they tend to side with the Church out of convenience/just because Podemos is very much against it.

They basically have no core values outside of their belief in the unity of Spain and the invisible hand of the free market.

Joey Ravn

Banned
It seems that the representatives from Junts pel Sì and the CUP have signed, of their own accord, a declaration of independence.

They've gone rogue.

Ferr986

It seems that the representatives from Junts pel Sì and the CUP have signed, of their own accord, a declaration of independence.

They've gone rogue.

It's just a symbolic act though (and it's a comminent with the republic), it doesn't have any effect legally.

It's just a way to try to calm down independentists I guess.

Joey Ravn

Banned
It's just a symbolic act though (and it's a comminent with the republic), it doesn't have any effect legally.

Symbolic or not, this doesn't help at all that hope for a dialogue between the central government and the Generalitat. I wouldn't be surprised if Madrid takes this as an actual declaration of independence.

Acidote

Ciudadanos is weird in the sense that their platform is rather unconcerned with religion, but they tend to side with the Church out of convenience/just because Podemos is very much against it.

They basically have no core values outside of their belief in the unity of Spain and the invisible hand of the free market.

They might be unconcerned with religion in your region, but here they're quite hardcore in that sense. Although so is the PSOE, and even Podemos to a certain degree if they don't want a big part of the population that supports them turning around.

sangreal

no universal declaration of independence has any effect legally. That's what makes them unilateral. It's always a question of recognition, including internally among followers.

If I declare independence, it is meaningless because I have no followers who care what I say. Whether it is legal or not isn't the question

Ferr986

Symbolic or not, this doesn't help at all that hope for a dialogue between the central government and the Generalitat. I wouldn't be surprised if Madrid takes this as an actual declaration of independence.

IMO Madrid should be smart enough to know this is just a symbolic act and not an UDI and go down to bussiness (try to negotiate with Cat gov, of course, inside the law).

no universal declaration of independence has any effect legally. That's what makes them unilateral. It's always a question of recognition, including internally among followers.

Still, this is not an UDI, it was not done in the Parliament like it should. Hell, CUP right now is saying Puigdemont didn't do the UDI like they asked.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's appeasement. They are trying their best to avoid being dragged out by the same nationalists they have inflamed over the past years.

"We are declaring the independent republic of Catalonia"
"We are proposing to postpone the proclamation of the independent republic of Catalonia"
"We are pledging our support towards the proclamation of the independent republic of Catalonia"
"pls understand"

Joey Ravn

Banned
German television says it's just for the family album, a symbolic act to please their own supporters.

I totally understand this. But that's not how it's being shown by them:

Acabem de signar la Declaració d'Independència, sense cap suspensió, tal i com hem demanat nosaltres #sensepor

We have just signed the Declaration of Independence, without any suspension, as we have asked for #sensepor

https://twitter.com/cupnacional/status/917844987546550272

I totally understand that this may be just "symbolic", but given the context (and the words chosen), it's a very, deeply problematic approach if you are advocating for dialogue.

turmoil

Banned
If that has any meaning(to them) they should start sending letters to Madrid and other governments to establish diplomatic relations, without mentioning state building...

It's show, the question is if Rajoy is smart enough to realize it.

Now they have their own personal declaration of independence, isn't that cute? (it cannot be official if it they don't present it in the parliament).

If that has any meaning(to them) they should start sending letters to Madrid and other governments to establish diplomatic relations, without mentioning state building...

It's show, the question is if Rajoy is smart enough to realize it.
That would actually require a plan, which there is still not.

Top Bottom