• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catalan Independence Referendum(1-O) - The aftermath

joanot

Puigdemont must resign, he promised indepence when he knew it was was imposible. He used the divide & conquer tactic, creating a huge damage to both the catalan & spanish societies, economic distress...just to back down at the very last minute.

I don't get it. He is talking about solving the conflict. But at the same time he says they deserved the right to gain independence. But that is the conflict. You are not getting a solution if you stand by that idea.

It's declared, but has been put on hold for some weeks so that he can negotiate with Spain.

Protip: He will get nothing
He also said the parliament still needs to vote on it right?

But it seems everyone is confused about what is actually going to happen still. This is so strange.

trembli0s

But it seems everyone is confused about what is actually going to happen still. This is so strange.

They're frankly fucked. Businesses are moving as fast as they can and Puigdemont can't herd his own folks together because he's desperately reliant on the anarcho-independent party to hold onto power.

Nope.

He said that he is legitimated by their self-approved law (which violates the spanish constituos) and that by the results of their ilegal and half-assed referendum, that he is obligated to comply those laws and has declaed the UDI.

Only to suspend it for some weeks to negoatiate with Spain.

Oh boy.

I've seen the police cars going hella fast to the parliament

lame and confusing speech

Rajoy must be very happy. He'll probably fuck it up by sending the storm troopers in the parliament.

I believe they are on their way.

It's the perfect storm of two indencent men

lame and confusing speech

Rajoy must be very happy. He'll probably fuck it up by sending the storm troopers in the parliament.
I think at this moment Spain just needs to lean back and say: well, explain what you want then with this dialogue. Because it doesn't seem Catalonia itself knows at the moment.

Nope.

He said that he is legitimated by their self-approved law (which violates the spanish constituos) and that by the results of their ilegal and half-assed referendum, that he is obligated to comply those laws and has declaed the UDI.

Only to suspend it for some weeks to negoatiate with Spain.

Oh boy.

I've seen the police cars going hella fast to the parliament
Thanks, the translation to English was a bit unclear on the speech.

Walshicus

Puigdemont is really naive if he thinks Rajoy and Spain will do anything other than bite off his hand.

The Spanish regime is incapable of diplomacy here, so yes its really about reaffirming who the irresponsible party is (Spain) and why an eventual UDI is required to protect Catalans from their misgovernance.

trembli0s

Problem is that PP and Cs won't even want to talk. I mean Arrimadas speech right now shows as much.

Why the fuck would they? A US President would not condone any kind of independent movement in the US. Nor would the French tolderate the Alsace or any other separatist movement.

The Spanish regime is incapable of diplomacy here, so yes its really about reaffirming who the irresponsible party is (Spain) and why an eventual UDI is required to protect Catalans from their misgovernance.

That's arguable.

Puigdemon never wanted to negotiate, his negotiation had "obligations that could not be argued".

They approved illegal laws. They disobeyed Spain and ignored Europe.

They don't even have most of the votes. The have like 48%, and the referendum gathered 2.200.000 out of 5.500.000 total voters.

You don't keep a majority of an autonomous community hostage, because you will look like a tirant.

Yeah, PP is mostly guilty of this, but don't even try to make Spain the main guilty here because you are wrong.

The catalan citizens are split, and this damage won't be cured that easy.

Also, banks and busisness are fleeing to Spain, so good luck with impoverishing your cititzens.

I will do my part to allow being taken ransom by some psychopatch

Why the fuck would they? A US President would not condone any kind of independent movement in the US. Nor would the French tolderate the Alsace or any other separatist movement.

When 80% of people in a region are in favour of a referendum for independence, that should at the very least give you something to think about.

Rajoy's strategy has been to completely ignore the issue, refuse all diplomacy and talks about more autonomy and let the wound rot and fester.

Leopold

22405664_1916048188644140_2502416522268415293_n.jpg

Ferr986

I mean of course I don't mean talk about giving the independence, but there's has to be talking between both govs, or we will never get out of here.

Walshicus

And yet Westminster happily allowed Holyrood to consult Scots.

If your state is so pathetic in its appeal to a nation within it that potentially a majority wish to leave... why not let them? There is nothing *inherently* good about Spain that justifies its existence or jurisdiction.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And yet Westminster happily allowed Holyrood to consult Scots.

If your state is so pathetic in its appeal to a nation within it that potentially a majority wish to leave... why not let them? There is nothing *inherently* good about Spain that justifies its existence or jurisdiction.

The Scots didn't first made a referendum on their own and against the law. Nor declared independence when they didn't have the votes.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This is going to be a real mess no matter what Puigdemont says. Anyway, I think I still have time for another post.

A message from Ada Colau, Major of Barcelona, posted on Facebook:
Ada Colau continues to earn my contempt with her fake equidistance, saying that "seditious" and "separatist" are loaded words instead of descriptive ones (hint: we are talking about the government of a region in declared rebellion against the state) yet telling the metropolitan police to stand down and facilitate an illegal act. Her repeated attempts to seduce the separatist left are not being unnoticed and her latest attempt to fall back before shit hits the fan not only paints her as a huge hypocrite, but is already having the separatist camp using it against her.

The more I look at her career as a major, the more I think she's been way over her head this whole time.

As policemen you can use violence if necessary to stop a crime and this is what happened. What would you do, if a crowd of 30 people oppose you and don't back up after warning them? Also with each minute they grow in number and you're only advantage are non-lethal weapons. Violence is a tool of the police (it should just be the last one).

There were properly some cases, where the police went overboard and actually use to much violence against some of those illegal voters (which is a crime). But the police using violence itself, isn't police brutality.
As far as I know the act of voting is not illegal. The referendum is a whole different thing. That's the point where Rajoy lost the thread. The intelligent thing would have been to allow it to happen, discredit it right after the fact (being illegal, offering no guarantees and basically being labelled as worthless by the very own delegation of observers invited by the separatists) and then prosecute those responsible, elevating the charges to sedition and rebellion if it came to it. There's precedence in Europe. This is more or less how Italy dealt with the Lega Nord and her Padanian referendum in 1997.

But Rajoy is an imbecile prone to deal with major issues by waiting them to go away and acting rashly when they don't. Even if the international community remains firmly on Spain's side, he managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in terms of PR and allowed the separatists to set the tone of the conversation. They were literally expecting that and Rajoy obliged.

As I've said before: I'm not a nationalist. But anyone examining this situation needs to ask themselves: in the absence of Spain granting any concessions towards a proper referendum, what more can the Catalan regional government do? And if the Catalan regional government cannot possibly do any more than what it has, why is it not justified in acting?
Separatist parties claim that they tried to make it work within the Spanish legality and that they tried to approach the government, leaving them with a surely won flawed referendum as the only solution. But that's a bald faced lie. Junts pel si (JxSÍ, Puigdemont's party) declared that they would start the state-building process necessary to create "an independent Catalonian state in the form of a Republic" right away if they obtained a majority of separatist votes during the 2015 elections. The party literally attempted to turn a regional election into a state-building one. No referendum required. This is not a journalistic interpretation: those are actual words expressing what was literally the first point of the party's platform for the 2015 election. We even had a GAF thread back then.

JxSÍ only obtained 39.5% of the votes. They are only in power because of the CUP.

They didn't even want a referendum in the first place. As a matter of fact, they wanted to do away without one if possible. It was only when they didn't get the amount of votes they desired that they devised a deeply flawed referendum as as means to an end. After that, Puigdemont refused an invitation from the Spanish government to explain his referendum at the Congress, his excuse being that he wanted to negotiate the terms before that (knowing fully well that: a) his plan would be shredded on live TV, and b) negotiating a separatist referendum with no previous Congressional oversight would ruin Rajoy even in an alternate dimension in which he agreed to it).

JxSÍ's biggest accomplishment is to convince foreign spectators that they care about the will of the Catalonian people.

What does Catalonia's military capabilities consist of, or would they be at the mercy of Madrid in the event of civil war?
This is a funny question, because the regional police (Mossos) being armed and already taking part in the separatist cause allows the Spanish government to elaborate an accusation of rebellion if a Mosso dares to get a gun out of their holster during a confrontation. This is another legal tidbit that everybody is ignoring, probably for the better.

The reason for no referendum has nothing to do with Europe and everything to do with Spain denying Catalonia is even a nation with the right of self determination. Everything to do with how the democratic transition was done, the creation of the comunidades autonomas and the concept of regions, the so called ‘cafe para todos' and the rhetoric that has been slowly installed in Spain throughout the years that Catalonia or the Basque Country are regions like any other communicated autonoma within Spain, and consequently any self determination claims are absurd, illegitimate and unlawful.
That is simply untrue. Spain recognises the historical and cultural identity of both Catalonia and the Basque Country, enables the protection of their languages through various means and provides them with a larger degree of freedom than other regions. Further, the Spanish government invests large amounts of money in them in the form of infrastructure projects, fixed tenders and international promotion. Catalonia was bailed out during the crisis and Madrid's safe bet for the European Medicines Agency was killed off in favour of Barcelona, which will probably lose it due to recent events.

The notion of Madrid curb stomping Catalonia's identity and economy in totalitarian style defies law, reality and logic.

It would be hard, but dependency goes both ways,Barcelona port is the second biggest port in Spain.

It would take years, but I'm sure in the end Cat will manage to stand on his own
Do you know what also go both ways? Tariffs.

The most insulting thing about the referendum is that the economy never deserved a passing mention, unlike in Scotland. And then JxSÍ started twitching. Everything was going to be fine, because the EU would welcome Catalonia as its newest junior member and companies would never move away with haste because the so-called "disconnection" laws weren't a huge disaster in the making due to the complete disregard towards the concept of legal certainty, as pointed out by no legal experts since day one.

Not lethal lol, that obviously wont be needed: just the detention of every major player involved in this. That will be enough. Take out all the autonomy of the region is mostly needed to, at least for now
Honestly, this is just a minority of people in a country wanting to take a part of it away from the rest without thinking the consequences, and oh boy, are they innocent if they think the rest will let them do that
This is the kind of attitude that breeds nationalists out of spite.

Their attitude will be judged, that you can trust
I'm going to be really, really shocked if there's not a huge purge of Mossos when everything is said and done.

This does not sound good...

Excellent to see the Spanish government learning nothing from how well their OTT response on the weekend was taken by people

This whole situation is depressing as hell, if the Spanish government keep acting like this then Catalonia wanting to leave will become increasingly justifiable.

It really feels like Europe is falling apart at the moment due to stupid selfish reasons, and its really disheartening
Madrid: "Hey Catalonia, we love you guys so much we're making it easier for businesses to leave your region."

Reminds me of all that "Better Together" bollox during the Scottish Indy Ref campaign.
Actually, companies were demanding that law, CaixaBank being at the forefront. The issue here is that Catalonia's independence won't happen because for that it'd have to be recognized, which is not going to be the case. Spain wants none of that and the EU would never sacrify Spain's membership for Catalonia's, let alone provide a huge boost to other nationalist movements. But Puigdemont could try to do something extremely stupid such as trying to enforce new laws, creating a situation of legal uncertainty. Companies hate that. Banks, for example, which were the first to move their registered offices away from Catalonia, could be cut out from the European Central Bank. Banks were also facing huge pressure from stock holders and clients. Santander stocks were hit pretty hard and a significant amount of clients have been either closing down accounts in Catalonian banks out of fear or moving their savings from Catalonian offices to other branches. I'm a Santander client. I'm a business owner/self-employed person and Santander is a bank that has made an important effort to cater the needs of small companies such as mine's. Last week I was at my local office and there were a number of clients either removing their savings or closing down their accounts. Santander has been facing an incredible amount of pressure due to this absurd nationalistic pantomime, so it had the actual obligation to re-register elsewhere in order to protect their stockholders and clients. Same with Caixa. Same with pretty much any other company.

Anybody not blinded by sheer nationalism could see that this was going to happen, specially given the Quebec precedent. But the separatist camp claimed that banks would love this new, prosperous and independent Catalonia, a great place to make business... despite not having the closest thing to an embryonary legal framework and being the closest thing to a sunnier version of Transnitria in terms of law and finances. They sold the most reprehensible lies to the public and ended up believing their own hype. Now it's time to face the music.

The Catalan government didn't do a half assed referendum just for the pleasure of doing half assed things. Nobody wants to jump steps, nobody wants to run head on into chaos. This has been the very last resort after hitting the same wall for years.
I vehemently disagree with this assessment. The political rush towards independence happened when the coalition formed between CDC and UDC (CiU for those reading this from afar) became mortally embroiled in multiple corruption scandals and CDC's leader (Artur Mas) hurled the coalition towards the soberanist path, creating a lot of frictions. The CDC then held a party referendum that was won by the separatist side by a tiny margin, prompting the split with UDC. As part of CiU, CDC never pushed hard towards independence, preferring instead their largely unshaken dominance and comfy position, closing deals and taking bribes while negotiating more devolved powers with Madrid every few years. The new paradigm meant that CDC, socially conservative and economically liberal, had to negotiate terms with the left wing and much more ideologically driven ERC if it wanted to survive. This gave way to a bizarre, barely sustainable marriage that became further complicated after they failed to obtain a parliamentary majority and their push towards independence required the support of the CUP, Communist and fairly radical about it.

As it stands now, JxSÍ is a coalition of parties with different views towards independence. A good part of CDC is getting a bad case of vertigo over the UDI, while ERC is pushing hard towards it. Meanwhile, CUP acts like an external driving force, setting the tone with their unrivalled ability to make a ruckus (even of they are on the other side of the spectrum, I'd compare CUP to the UKIP in the sense that they are pretty far out in terms of ideology and voter share, yet overtly nationalist and disproportionately influential due to the perceived weaknesses of JxSÍ). In a way, CDC has become a hostage of itself and its partners, both internal and external. ERC is not in a much better position. They are not embroiled in scandals like CDC or the former CiU, but they are very much for independence and they have reached the perceived point of no return; quitting at this point could spell disaster. All there is left for JxSÍ is a rush forward.

CDC (and later JxSÍ) saw that there was growing resentment among the public and baited it hard in order to profit from it in different ways. ERC wanted independence, CDC wanted to bury their scandals. The Spanish government, meanwhile, was happy enough about it. Being corrupt and extremely short sighted, the PP was more than pleased to have a new target in order to divert the attention from their own countless scandals, reacting harshly at every turn instead of trying to defuse the situation while ahead. This fed into the nationalist cycle, creating more separatists and reinforcing JxSÍ's position.

And here we are now.

And they are Russia backed
Source that.

Of course there's idiots everywhere, like the ones who vandalized the Guardia Civil cars last week. But how many times have you seen nazi salutes on a pro-independence rally? How many times you see these kind of shit when there are Spanish flags waving around?

http://www.*****************/news/a...orters-fascist-salutes-independence-demo.html

This is unacceptable.
I don't need to spend a solid minute to find dozens of articles about chants of "long live Terra Lliure" and "Terra Lliure kill them all" at pro-independence rallies. A terrorist group that for a brief period of time became ETA-lite. I need even less time to find articles about anti-independence politicians and intellectuals receiving death threats, and I'm not talking about Twitter trolls. And then there's the ugly, ugly underbelly of Catalonian ethnonationalism with its often ignored but well represented vitriolic attitudes towards everything that sounds Castillian or Andalusian. But that probably deserves a different post. Pointing out Spain's own radicals while ignoring that there's no shortage of hate-filled individuals amongst the separatists side is the height of hypocrisy.

Oh well, I'm afraid I carried myself away. Let's enjoy the farce now.

Edit:

fI0OsKi.gif

As expected, they played their (best) card last 1-O but it wasn’t enough. Companies fleeing from Catalonia to other cities made them realize this was never a smart decision, but I’m afraid the damage is already done, it will take years to fix this.

EDIT: Completely agree with Funky Papa

As expected, they played their (best) card last 1-O but it wasn’t enough. Companies fleeing from Catalonia to other cities made them realize this was never a smart decision, but I’m afraid the damage is already done, it will take years to fix this.

EDIT: Completely agree with Funky Papa

And Rajoy just secured the next elections with a crushing majority.

Unless he fucks up (wich I am sure he will) and sends Puigdemont to prison.

Nivash

I got the feeling that they were backing down when they postponed the speech, but this... it's amazing. Completely irresponsible. It literally kicks the can down the road and resolves absolutely nothing, which will leave Catalonia trapped in this highly toxic uncertainty for God knows how long. Typical modern "leader". All talk, no sense of responsibility.

Wouldn't that be something? That's all this farce needs now - black-clad stormtroopers knocking down doors yelling "nobody expects the Spanish fascism!" for no reason whatsoever.

I got the feeling that they were backing down when they postponed the speech, but this... it's amazing. Completely irresponsible. It literally kicks the can down the road and resolves absolutely nothing, which will leave Catalonia trapped in this highly toxic uncertainty for God knows how long. Typical modern "leader". All talk, no sense of responsibility.

And Catalonia loosing businesses and economic stability is loosing credibility day after day.

The GDP has decreased by quite a margin over the last week, and Madrid is now the autonomous community with the highest GDP.

I am catalan and I am scared shitless of the things to come.

God have mercy.

EDIT.: Oh, and this process has generated a sick hatred towards independent catalans from Spain. There is a movement calling for boycotting any products made in Catalonia.

That is, we have not had any orders from Spain (only one order) since October the 1st.

This is going to hurt in the near future.

Ferr986

I fear this is what will happen. And I think the independentists knows it too (hence another move to make them look as victims).

LOL, the internet is indeed fast.

And Catalonia loosing businesses and economic stability is loosing credibility day after day.

The GDP has decreased by quite a margin over the last week, and Madrid is now the autonomous community with the highest GDP.

I am catalan and I am scared shitless of the things to come.

God have mercy.
I'm on the same bote. But let's see how this plays out.

Top Bottom