• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catalan parliament declares independence from Spain

Lucumo

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2F34489b42-bb24-11e7-bff8-f9946607a6ba

The Catalan regional parliament has voted to declare independence from Spain, while the Spanish parliament has approved direct rule over the region.

Catalan MPs backed the motion 70-10 in a ballot boycotted by the opposition.

Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy earlier told senators direct rule was needed to return "law, democracy and stability" to Catalonia.

What will the Spanish government do next?

Soon after the vote at the regional parliament, the Senate - Spain's upper house - made the unprecedented step of approving measures allowing the Spanish government to impose direct rule over Catalonia.

There were 214 votes in favour and 47 against.

Mr Rajoy is now expected to hold a cabinet meeting and decide what measures to take.

It could include the firing of Catalan leaders, and the Spanish government taking control of the region's finances, police and publicly owned media.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41780116

Thought about posting it in the Catalonia thread once it got brought back...but then again, this is major news, deserving its own thread. From the looks of it, things really are going south.

/update: Spain's Prime Minister Rajoy dissolves parliament of Catalonia, snap elections scheduled for 21th December
/update2: "Mr Rajoy said he said he was firing the head of the Catalan regional police, shutting down Catalonia's foreign affairs department and dismissing its delegates in Brussels and Madrid."
/update3: International reactions (probably the best site for an overview with links to the statements)

numble

I think there's a slight difference between the daily "Trumps an asshole" thread and a "potential civil war" thread.
It was a blanket ban:
Political and social discourse will not be allowed in the new Off-Topic.
If you wish to stay informed on important political news or social isues that don't end up being covered by Off-Topic, we suggest visiting http://www.nytimes.com or http://www.washingtonpost.com to stay informed. NeoGAF is not intended to be your only source of information on the internet.

Lucumo

I hope it doesn't turn violent. Spain being a dick.

Well, more violent. But from the looks of it, it really is moving towards confrontation. I hope someone will step in and try to de-escalate the whole situation somehow.

Curious if Basque Country will look at this and decide it's future?

You can bet on that.

Post from a Modbot that is no longer relevant, as we have a newer, official statement?

PJV3

Yeah, stuff like "Trump did this and that again" is how I interpret that post. But political news like this should be okay.

He Is the President of the United States of America, it kinda matters. Anyhow hopefully they clarify what is and isn't allowed.

Otherwise it's going to cause resentment and arguments.

mario_O

I think there's a slight difference between the daily "Trumps an asshole" thread and a "potential civil war" thread.

Potential civil war? Lol C'mon now, lets not get carried away. Catalan people are pacifist, and will not use violence. They will seek international support when the oppresion from Madrid starts. Play the "victim card".

jfkgoblue

He Is the President of the United States of America, it kinda matters. Anyhow hopefully they clarify what is and isn't allowed.
Every time Trump does or says something stupid it results in the same thread every time. The responses were either some form of fuck Trump or the US is fucked.

Lucumo

Who? EU will say nothing.

To be honest? I really do hope they will say something. Spain is part of something bigger after all, so they shouldn't be opposed to someone stepping in and trying to mediate. At the same time, I doubt the EU really wants unrest in its member states.

Good for them.
I know how they must feel because I felt same thing in 2007 when Kosovo finally declared independence.

I worry the recognition from other countries will be very slow though...

numble

Post from a Modbot that is no longer relevant, as we have a newer, official statement?
Modbot is the statement from the mod team that EviLore refers to. The newer statement says to go read some newspapers for political news. I don't see anything that says it refers to only a Trump news. Is PoliGAF a banned thread or not?

Lucumo

Modbot is the statement from the mod team that EviLore refers to. The newer statement says to go read some newspapers for political news. I don't see anything that says it refers to only a Trump news. Is PoliGAF a banned thread or not?

If you wish to stay informed on important political news or social isues that don't end up being covered by Off-Topic...
...meaning that if you want those ""misery of the day" political threads or depressing news threads that exist for the sake of being depressed or angry", you should go to news websites.
His post makes it pretty clear.

(Though, let's not clog up this thread with off-topic discussions.)

Good for them.
I know how they must feel because I felt same thing in 2007 when Kosovo finally declared independence.

I worry the recognition from other countries will be very slow though...
This is largely symbolic. They aren't going independent anytime soon without EU market access, Euro supply, let alone all the mass migration from Catalan companies moving their tax domicile to Madrid.

numble

...meaning that if you want those ""misery of the day" political threads or depressing news threads that exist for the sake of being depressed or angry", you should go to news websites.
His post makes it pretty clear.
So why is PoliGAF banned? It only makes sense if you interpret the policy to be a blanket ban. The owner was also interviewed on WayPoint.

Malka told me NeoGAF should be fully operational later this evening, and in the near future, will be restructured to more exclusively focus on video games

Lucumo

This is largely symbolic. They aren't going independent anytime soon without EU market access, Euro supply, let alone all the mass migration from Catalan companies moving their tax domicile to Madrid.

I do think so as well. Nevertheless, the stone is still rolling in a really bad direction and I have no idea how things will turn out, at all.

So why is PoliGAF banned? It only makes sense if you interpret the policy to be a blanket ban. The owner was also interviewed on WayPoint.

PM a moderator and ask? It makes little sense to question fellow users. I'm just acting according to the latest statement.

Razorback

I think we should just use common sense when making political threads.

This thread is obviously important news is and is happening right now.

The problem before was just the sheer volume of stories about every single dumb or racist thing happening in the world (mainly the USA).

I'm convinced that one of the main reasons things have gotten so heated politically these last few years is the amount of negative news everyone is consuming 24\7.
It makes it feel like the world is going to shit so everyone is on edge and that leads to more hostility which leads to more negative news. It's a feedback loop.

Mahadev

Catalonia deserves its independence and Spain using violence would make them look terrible in Europe and the world. Maybe they'll try the economic angle who knows, but things will get interesting very soon.

Because it was the most miserable toxic place in the whole forum. A place where they literally were afraid of Russian shills infiltrating them. A place people on twitter were often linking to to make fun of us.

I'm leaving Canada for a school trip in Spain in like 30 hours, welp. :)
Well so long you stay in Spain and don't visit the new Republic of Catalonia then you won't have issues. Now if you go there, well, you will get a first hand lesson of what "disputed territory" means.

I'm glad they don't have weapons.
They have thousands of police officers some of which have assault rifles and are trained to fight terrorists so for practical purposes they are soldiers. I don't expect they using their weapons but nobody knows for sure what will happen in every situation.

joanot

I'm leaving Canada for a school trip in Spain in like 30 hours, welp. :)

You won't have any issues, situation is normal over here and it'lll remain like this. You'll only notice some politicians fighting for votes on tv and people waving flags on some places.

Top Bottom