• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catalonia to split from Spain within 48 hours of secession vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiamant

Images of the strike today at Catalonia condemning the violence of last Sunday. I really want to hear the "Catalans are racist towards Spanish people" crowd today.

22154358_10212043993749455_5956741408483426413_n.jpg

"I feel Spanish but today I'm ashamed"

22196319_10212043994269468_1236240841235626892_n.jpg

"I don't want independence but I can't stay home while they beat my country"

img_mfort_20171003-084257_imagenes_lv_terceros_carreteras-kSiG-U431768537451HKF-992x558@LaVanguardia-Web.JPG

img_ipardo_20171003-090923_imagenes_lv_otras_fuentes_whatsapp_image_2017-10-03_at_084920-k8pG--656x438@LaVanguardia-Web.jpeg

15070318633934.jpg

15070299662827.jpg

Big commerce such as El Corte Inglés or H&M that weren't on strike have already closed shop by now.

15070294134456.jpg

tolkir

Oh right, you posted a gif you must be right.

Keep living a lie m8, you guys are racist towards everyone, latinos are treated like shit when they go there or move there, and if you are black it is even worse.

Keep living a lie of what? I'm living in Spain with latinos, black people, chinese people, arabs, gypsies every day. Why would you know better than me if we're racists towards everyone?

Keep living a lie m8, you guys are racist towards everyone, latinos are treated like shit when they go there or move there, and if you are black it is even worse.
So you are judging the whole group based on your opinion that they are judging whole groups. Kind of ironic, don't you think?

faridmon

Pique is known leftist radical, supporting groups that dont condemn violence among other disgusting views.

Regardless of what everyone think of this issue, Pique is a prick who just love to cause trouble in the name of ''Catalan''

You don't see Iniesta pulling this

I mean dude, you claimed "Spain is still as [...] fascist as when Franco was in power".
I don't know much, but didn't the Francoists execute political dissidents? Didn't they abduct like 300,000 children?
Doesn't seem "still as fascist" to me. In my opinion, hyperbole like this kills discussions.

I tried to reason that with my friend and family (I am catalan but I live abroad), and it's no use. I already saw before that it was next to impossible to have a reasonable discussion with them, but after Sunday it's just impossible.

For what is worth, last week i received a leaflet with reasons for voting yes. It pointed to a page (that obviusly was taken down).

One of the reasons was that since we were part of the EU they can't kick us out becuase it has never happened. And they would find a political solution therefore we would remain inside. So is not that surprising that people believe it.

So uhh I'm very unaware of politics and everything. I apologize for my ignorance here. Anyways, My parents went to Spain for a 2 week European cruise and finally just heard from them. She asks if I've heard the news. Thinking she's talking about the Vegas shooting I said Yea it's awful. What she really meant is the protests going on over there. I honestly had no idea and feel stupid about it. Regardless, she said they're walking around seeing what they can and that leads me to a question. Should I be worried about them doing so? I have no idea what the mood is over there.

Chao

So uhh I'm very unaware of politics and everything. I apologize for my ignorance here. Anyways, My parents went to Spain for a 2 week European cruise and finally just heard from them. She asks if I've heard the news. Thinking she's talking about the Vegas shooting I said Yea it's awful. What she really meant is the protests going on over there. I honestly had no idea and feel stupid about it. Regardless, she said they're walking around seeing what they can and that leads me to a question. Should I be worried about them doing so? I have no idea what the mood is over there.

International press make it look like there’s a war going on in Cataluña right now, but the fact is people were walking and having coffee on the streets like they would normally do on a Sunday morning the day the riots took place.

They’re going to be fine, don’t worry.

International press make it look like there’s a war going on in Cataluña right now, but the fact is people were walking and having coffee on the streets like they would normally do on a Sunday morning the day the riots took place.

They’re going to be fine, don’t worry.

OK great. Good to hear. Thanks for the info and tolerating my ignorance =p

If they are outside of Catalonia? Nothing is happening. Some demonstrations in some places but business as usual in general. In Catalonia itself they are in the middle of a mayor strike with lots roads blocked, stores closed and demonstrations.

Even with that for those who don't want to get involved in the demonstrations things are absolutely safe.

correojon

You don't know me, yet you're calling me a racist based exclusively on my nationality. There's a name for that.

If they are outside of Catalonia? Nothing is happening. Some demonstrations in some places but business as usual in general. In Catalonia itself they are in the middle of a mayor strike with lots roads blocked, stores closed and demonstrations.

Even with that for those who don't want to get involved in the demonstrations things are absolutely safe.

I imagine they're in Catalonia because all of their booked tours and stores are closed. Sounds like they'll be OK though since they'll be doing their own thing for most of the day.

AlejandroDaJ

Neo Member
My wife and I are supposed to be in Barcelona from Thursday to Monday for our anniversary, but will we be able to actually DO anything with the general strike going on? Any insight into what the restaurant, tourism, and transportation sectors will be like? (We'll be taking the train on Monday to Madrid.)

Ferr986

Spanish king just did a speech and of course he only throw more wood to the fire. Shit's going to end up bad.

My wife and I are supposed to be in Barcelona from Thursday to Monday for our anniversary, but will we be able to actually DO anything with the general strike going on? Any insight into what the restaurant, tourism, and transportation sectors will be like? (We'll be taking the train on Monday to Madrid.)

Strike was only for today, you'll be fine.

Cruixant

The king's speech has been a joke: basically Catalonia's authorities are completely to blame; Spain will remain united. No need to worry at all.

It seems that even after having things escalate this far our country as a whole is still uncapable of some introspection.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, where this comes from or what it entails.

Also chill with the insults.

Damn people are super angry at you guys. I don't get it, I'm an Asian American guy dating a Catalan and all her friends and family have taken me with open arms. Also I was at the university today. It was super chill and the most people I've ever seen in one place. That that massive amount of people were able to keep their chill after Sunday is commendable.

Also I don't feel like Vladimir Putin really has anything to do with this.

22157490_133082867337232_4744678808869666816_n.jpg

Tiamant

Damn people are super angry at you guys. I don't get it, I'm an Asian American guy dating a Catalan and all her friends and family have taken me with open arms. Also I was at the university today. It was super chill and the most people I've ever seen in one place. That that massive amount of people were able to keep their chill after Sunday is commendable.

Also I don't feel like Vladimir Putin really has anything to do with this.

22157490_133082867337232_4744678808869666816_n.jpg

Problem is, whenever you point shit like this you have people rushing to call you victimist.

If you want proof just check the message the King just delivered on tv. Not a single mention to the violence against citizens, just pure bullshit and not so veiled threats.

Fuck the king.

Did the Spanish king really bleat about loyalty? Is he also going to summon his vassals to raise an army of knights to raid the Catalan lands?

Fuck the king, fuck all the selfish delusionals of the PP who think that the independtists can be beaten with the police like they were a small group of left-wing protesters. You cannot use the police against two million people.

Also fuck Sanchez for refusing to participate in the meeting that Podemos organized with all the inpendentists/nationalists groups to try find some common ground.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Problem is, whenever you point shit like this you have people rushing to call you victimist.

If you want proof just check the message the King just delivered on tv. Not a single mention to the violence against citizens, just pure bullshit and not so veiled threats.

Fuck the king.

I was on the ground floor of all this, as an American, and skeptical of being to biased for the Catalan independence crowd. I really don't know enough to be passionate one way or the other, but honestly I just witnessed a bunch of kumbiya song and cheer, and everybody maintaining dignity in their passive protest.

Really, if you wanna call this whole independence movement janky and illegal, that's one thing, but calling all of the Catalan population racist and worthy of the violence onto them? I mean...I don't get the fury in here against Catalunya...

If you really want a growing racist state, with growing Russian influence, come to the good old USA.

Ferr986

You say that as if that's not how the world has always worked and still does.

His discurse was very antagonist against the indepes though, no words for them and for dialogue. You're making shit worse when even you, as a king, have no words for dialogue towards indepes. He was very irresponsable.

Eylos

Banned
If we take the sports as a measure, any damn country in this world is racist.
Racism in sports is still racism, there's Also a maestro in the news, and the deportation incident in there, when spain deported without a clear reasons a bunch of brazilians travelling there for a time.

Brazil is racist too, to be clear in this point.

avaya

Who thought it would be a good idea to let a fucking Monarch in the 21st Century run his mouth over a matter of such sensitivity.

Fucking hell, who is running Spain these days? Clown show.

Metal B

Who thought it would be a good idea to let a fucking Monarch in the 21st Century run his mouth over a matter of such sensitivity.
The United Kingdom, Sweden, Norway, Monaco, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Denmark, Belgium and Andorra monarch also talk about different sensitivity matters in their countries.

Fucking hell, who is running Spain these days? Clown show.
Actually most of the time is the Government who decides the content of the King speeches so is not a problem except when the Government are clowns like now.

Nete

Alright, *now* is when I'm starting to be afraid of the shitshow the next days/weeks will be.

Thanks for nothing, Felipe. And fuck you.

avaya

The United Kingdom, Sweden, Norway, Monaco, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Denmark, Belgium and Andorra monarch also talk about different sensitivity matters in their countries.

The Queen typically doesn't say shit in the UK and any comment is always very carefully worded not to cause any offense.

It's a shame how the Spanish government is handling this, it's playing into the nationalists hands.

tolkir

Those some angry football fans that hate everything. Some of them go football matches of their kids and shout insults to the referee, players, coaches and other parents, sometimes even fight between them. Fucking disgraceful.

I don't know about those deportations. If I have understood, it seems some papework issues. That's happen with many people here, I know some cases where to get the nationality last several years and it has to fill hundreds of papers and others similar last less of one year. It's very random.
Everything is easier with some Latin countries where we have some kind of agreement.

Nobody denies we have racism on some places, but same racism as Franco age (friend of Hitler). Holy shit.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/jun/20/franco-gave-list-spanish-jews-nazis

Audioboxer

This is for the cretins, wildly ignorant, racist cunts ITT that support this xenophobic movement

I think this story should shed some light on the real situation

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...5_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.2a3e5167b867

That article has a trashy title. Who gives a flying fuck about Russia right now? Your accusations don't help much either. Fair to say I think that is what has you banned.

the Catalan nationalists’ only backers are separatist-ruled Scotland, the pariah government of Venezuela and Russia’s intelligence and propaganda apparatus

As for Scotlands input

JqEk3E3.png

QM7x6Yp.png

Pretty certain that is pretty level headed considering the violence that was carried out against Spanish people. One of the few posts I made in this topic when things started kicking off with all the police violence is it was completely unacceptable, and it is.

That article at least ends reasonably

The right course is that which virtually every responsible authority outside Spain is calling for: negotiations between Barcelona and Madrid. Mr. Rajoy could offer the Catalan region more autonomy. Even better, the two sides could agree on a legal means for Catalonia to hold a fair, free and legitimate vote. Genuine democracy is the best way out of Spain’s crisis; unfortunately, neither side appears ready to embrace it.

ty_hot

Keep living a lie of what? I'm living in Spain with latinos, black people, chinese people, arabs, gypsies every day. Why would you know better than me if we're racists towards everyone?
Im in Barcelona and its clear how latinos are treated differently. Blacks? Uff, I've never seen one employed in any store, always selling stuff on the streets, running from the police and when they are in the public transit people avoid even being near them. If a black guy is sitting, nobody sits next to him.

I'm pretty neutral on this as an outsider Brit, although I can only condemn the actions of the Spanish government in attempting to interrupt a vote that they claimed had no validity. Ignoring it would have been a far smarter move.

From what I'm reading this appears to be a point of no return for Catalonia. Spanish police beating up Catalonian voters who wanted to express an opinion peacefully is exactly what any nationalist needs to justify independence, surely?

Eylos

Banned
Those some angry football fans that hate everything. Some of them go football matches of their kids and shout insults to the referee, players, coaches and other parents, sometimes even fight between them. Fucking disgraceful.

I don't know about those deportations. If I have understood, it seems some papework issues. That's happen with many people here, I know some cases where to get the nationality last several years and it has to fill hundreds of papers and others similar last less of one year. It's very random.
Everything is easier with some Latin countries where we have some kind of agreement.

Nobody denies we have racism on some places, but same racism as Franco age (friend of Hitler). Holy shit.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/jun/20/franco-gave-list-spanish-jews-nazis

It was in the airport, this created a diplomatic problem at the time. Didnt knew this talk was about franco, i thought its only about today stuff.

Edit: i Will stop to talk about this subject or the mod Will ban me

Xando

I'm pretty neutral on this as an outsider Brit, although I can only condemn the actions of the Spanish government in attempting to interrupt a vote that they claimed had no validity. Ignoring it would have been a far smarter move.

From what I'm reading this appears to be a point of no return for Catalonia. Spanish police beating up Catalonian voters who wanted to express an opinion peacefully is exactly what any nationalist needs to justify independence, surely?

I mean if they actually declare independence i don't think they know what they're gonna do.

Outside the EU, who knows what action spain is gonna take, borders on all sides and probably not gonna get recognized by anyone but putin.

SgtCobra

I mean if they actually declare independence i don't think they know what they're gonna do.

Outside the EU, who knows what action spain is gonna take, borders on all sides and probably not gonna get recognized by anyone but putin.
Yup and that's gonna hurt them like crazy, there is not really any outcome in which the Catalonian people can "win" right now.

That is of course if the EU as a whole won't recognize them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom