• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catalan parliament declares independence from Spain

In the UK they had a referendum.
And most Constitutions have changed a lot since they were first established, like the US Constitution.

There were no laws stopping such a referendum in the UK, as there are in Spain. And the constitution has of course been amended. What you propose is to change it to give the right to secede, something which is also not recognised in the US. I'd like to see what would be done if, say, Texas wanted to leave the USA and went about it in the same way as the Catalan government.

To make independence referendums legal in Spain two thirds of both the senate and the congress are needed plus an Spain wide referendum. That is the consensus needed to make such change.

The fact that most of the international community says that Spain should let them vote has some degree of influence over the issue but the attitude of the pro-independence parties have caused a firm opposition to the vote. It is hard to forget their occasional xenophobic remarks about the rest of Spain even if that attitude only represent a minority of their movement.

mario_O

There were no laws stopping such a referendum in the UK, as there are in Spain. And the constitution has of course been amended. What you propose is to change it to give the right to secede, something which is also not recognised in the US. I'd like to see what would be done if, say, Texas wanted to leave the USA and went about it in the same way as the Catalan government.

Again, the UK did it. I don't see why we cant do it if we have a reality of millions that want to vote. 80% of catalonians want to vote, you cant hide from that with an old Constitution. You need to face it with politics. Like the UK did.

Lagunamov

They dont have my support anymore, they were trying to be the defenders of the democracy and then they declarated a independency which is supported only for 2 millions of people. Im catalonian and I feel myself very opressed and a lot of people in Barcelona too, they stole us our right to choose. I was pro referendum and I was not seeing with good eyes the 155, now I think that the shitty spanish government has the right to enter here, Puigdemont and the rest of pro independent dont care about the will of the people, they are the same that Rajoy.

cebri.one

Right now Barcelona.

DNTRgiYW0AEw-Q2.jpg:large

Anti-independence demonstration.

Menchi

I don’t know how independence can be declared when only 43% of Catalonia actually voted. If the actually majority didn’t take part in the referendum, I don’t see how it can be viewed as the will of the people at all.

mario_O

I don’t know how independence can be declared when only 43% of Catalonia actually voted. If the actually majority didn’t take part in the referendum, I don’t see how it can be viewed as the will of the people at all.

You have to thank the spanish police brutality for that. Many people were afraid to vote. But it didn't really matter: the referedum was declared illegal before it took place. And yet, they decided to attack the people with brute force.
The only solution now is for both parties to agree to call for a new, and this time legal, referendum with all guarantees. Or else this situation is never going to be resolved. The spanish government is just pushing the problem forward and hoping for the best. It wont work, probably make everything far worse.

Discourse

What exactly were they trying to gain by declaring independence? The election didn't even represent the will of the people of Catalonia and there was a huge amount of people voting over and over again and posting themselves doing it on social media.

Onyar

They dont have my support anymore, they were trying to be the defenders of the democracy and then they declarated a independency which is supported only for 2 millions of people. Im catalonian and I feel myself very opressed and a lot of people in Barcelona too, they stole us our right to choose. I was pro referendum and I was not seeing with good eyes the 155, now I think that the shitty spanish government has the right to enter here, Puigdemont and the rest of pro independent dont care about the will of the people, they are the same that Rajoy.

Independentists won the regional elecions with the biggest participation in the history, if you would you could vote a pro spanish party. Also won the referendum who everybody could vote too. If people don't want to go to vote they are saying they don't care about what happens, that's democracy not what the spanish goverment is doing applying the 155 that is a facist movement agains the democratic will of the population.

Puigdemont cares a lot for all the people, the problem is the centralist people in catalonia who hate everything catalan by default.

What exactly were they trying to gain by declaring independence? The election didn't even represent the will of the people of Catalonia and there was a huge amount of people voting over and over again and posting themselves doing it on social media.
That's false, maybe there was some people, but not a lot.
And that happened because the facist Spanish goberment was attacking the universal census, that resulted around three hours with the system down. Even that, during that time, most of the voting points only let the people of the neighboorhood, people who knew they live there, to vote. I voted during the census down and I had to go to my neigborhood.

cebri.one

Independentists won the regional elecions with the biggest participation in the history, if you would you could vote a pro spanish party. Also won the referendum who everybody could vote too. If people don't want to go to vote they are saying they don't care about what happens, that's democracy not what the spanish goverment is doing applying the 155 that is a facist movement agains the democratic will of the population.

Puigdemont cares a lot for all the people, the problem is the centralist people in catalonia who hate everything catalan by default.

And that happened because the facist Spanish goberment was attacking the universal census, that resulted around three hours with the system down. Even that, during that time, most of the voting points only let the people of the neighboorhood, people who knew they live there, to vote. I voted during the census down and I had to go to my neigborhood.

LMAO

I'm sure it has been said already in this thread (sorry, I can't keep up because this is moving too fast), but I bet in a few years the US will have the same problem with California.

Lagunamov

That is not true. I didn't go to vote to dont participate in this circus and a lot of people is like me, you cannot obvious the no participation in the referendum because it was promoted this one as a no. Also, the regional elections you are claiming is bullshit, the real % of the poblation that voted a independentist government was the 49%, that is enough for you to declarate the independence. In addition, in Barcelona we dont wanna the independency by a biggest %, what can we choose to continue with Spain or you are gonna opresse us like them and force us to stay with you. Both sides are fucked up and not bein democratic and respecting the freedom of the people.

That is not true. I didn't go to vote to dont participate in this circus and a lot of people is like me, you cannot obvious the no participation in the referendum because it was promoted this one as a no. Also, the regional elections you are claiming is bullshit, the real % of the poblation that voted a independentist government was the 49%, that is enough for you to declarate the independence. In addition, in Barcelona we dont wanna the independency by a biggest %, what can we choose to continue with Spain or you are gonna opresse us like them and force us to stay with you. Both sides are fucked up and not bein democratic and respecting the freedom of the people.

What do you mean that both sides oppress you?
As an American who has been to Catalonia, I don't understand why you hate Spain sooooo much. This whole thing is so weird to us (yes, I can speak on behalf of all Americans) especially since it has happening in one of Europe's most established countries.

Discourse

It was reported by Euronews http://www.euronews.com/2017/10/02/...-votes-the-polemics-of-the-catalan-referendum

Dude, independentists won nothing. They gathered 48% of the votes, full stop.

Stop the victimism already, no other country has recoginsed the fake Republic of Catalonia. I am catalan and I don't hate anything catalan, cut the crap already, enough with the Help Catalonia Save Europe. You are not oppressed, you never had a country, and the results of the referendum were always meant to be fake trying to convince that 770.000 people were not able to vote was a made-up number from La Generalitat from the very beginning.

Stop the victimism already, no other country has recoginsed the fake Republic of Catalonia. I am catalan and I don't hate anything catalan, cut the crap already, enough with the Help Catalonia Save Europe. You are not oppressed, you never had a country, and the results of the referendum were always meant to be fake trying to convince that 770.000 people were not able to vote was a made-up number from La Generalitat from the very beginning.

Well said. Good english too

Onyar

We made parlamentary elections that the independentism won by majory. It was the will of the catalans. Also the in refendum won the independentism by a lot of percent. If the centralist didn't vote isn't our problem, that, democracy.

You may think it was a circus, but the majory of catalans take it as good. It's your problem to not be democratic.
I repeat, you don't understand how democracy works, if the majority of the people decide something it has to be done, even you don't like it.
The only side that isn't democratic is the spanish goberment, hitting peaceful protesters and trying to disabling the universal census.

You didn't read me... I said there was some duplicated votes, but caused by centralist taking advantage when the unversal census was down. The fake images, for sure there has to be some. But at the other side there was a lot more of manipulation, for example, let's talk how many voters that were hit by the police where interviewed by the spanish channels, 0.

48% in democracy is majority if the other options where less.
We are being used by the spanish goberment, open your eyes, we aproved an statute that was modified by the legal power of Madrid, that's not democracy there's no division of powers. And we had a country, please study history more, we never had an state that's what you mean.
Believe me, be more critic with the reality, do not only watch the spanish channels.
It's not only about the feeling of being catalan, it's about we are being puppets of the central state to recentralize the power in Spain. Think about all the story of the mediterranean corridor, about the infrastructures promises that never came, about how we are used to be always the bad guys of Spain.

Lagunamov

We made parlamentary elections that the independentism won by majory. It was the will of the catalans. Also the in refendum won the independentism by a lot of percent. If the centralist didn't vote isn't our problem, that, democracy.

You may think it was a circus, but the majory of catalans take it as good. It's your problem to not be democratic.
I repeat, you don't understand how democracy works, if the majority of the people decide something it has to be done, even you don't like it.
The only side that isn't democratic is the spanish goberment, hitting peaceful protesters and trying to disabling the universal census.

No, you dont understand how democracy works.
1-The referendum didn't demostrate nothing, the not participation was promoted by the spanish government as answer for a NO and a huge % of the poblation didn't participate because of this huge NO, if you care about the will of the people and the truth, what Catalunya feels and not only listening your fanatism and your own interest you have to consider that.

2-The majory of catalans doesn't take it as a good, only 2 millions that went to vote (the poblation is more than 7 millions I remember you). The biggest part of the catalonian society (the rest) we are tired of the same bullshit day after day, annoyed of the fanatism of both sides and we would like to focus our economy in things more importants instead of this entire BULLSHIT that is spending a lot of our money and not doing nothing important, because you can live in a illusion but the result of this entire thing is gonna be the reiforcement of the PP in Spain (for a long time probably unfortunately) and the down of the catalonian economy, we are gonna need years to be the same and the social fracture is gonna be here for generations. There is not international support (dont let you lie for the propaganda of the social media, the catalan media is so manipulated as the one in Madrid, a real shit) and there is not ways to become a country, the only thing that is doing this is wasting the time a giving votes to the PP.

3-In a democracy you cannot create a new country with only a 49% of the representation, you are making a new country fractured and in another times would be a civil war. Also, if you support something like that you should let to Barcelona to become independent of Catalonian, because a HUGE % of its population and the majors of the Barcelona province are not supporting the DUI and force them to stay in Catalonia would be the same that you are claiming that Madrid is doing.

This DUI is not something to follow for anyone that respects the freedom, the democracy and the will of the people. The catalonian government and their supporters are turning away their faces to the real situation here and taking benefit of the fanatics and the feelings of a poor fellows. The spanish government is another that is not respecting the human rights and democracy, they should let a real referendum to see the real results and finish with this entire circus, this has been long for enough time.

We are being used by the spanish goberment, open your eyes, we aproved an statute that was modified by the legal power of Madrid, that's not democracy there's no division of powers. And we had a country, please study history more, we never had an state that's what you mean.
Believe me, be more critic with the reality, do not only watch the spanish channels.
I think that the one who is not being critic is you, both teams of this match are full of shit. I have to remember you that Puigdemont supported decisions as giving more money to private schools (christian legion and similas) and giving less to the public ones? I have to remember you that he was not supporting another international referendums that they were in the same positions than Catalunya? I have to remember you all the corruption and the money that they stole from our wallet? Or that you are supporting with this kind of messages the economy of a political groups that has approved a lot of bullshit and hit people that was doing manifestations about the public heal system, the education and the freedom?

Onyar

No, you dont understand how democracy works.
1-The referendum didn't demostrate nothing, the not participation was promoted by the spanish government as answer for a NO and a huge % of the poblation didn't participate because of this huge NO, if you care about the will of the people and the truth, what Catalunya feels and not only listening your fanatism and your own interest you have to consider that.

2-The majory of catalans doesn't take it as a good, only 2 millions that went to vote (the poblation is more than 7 millions I remember you). The biggest part of the catalonian society (the rest) we are tired of the same bullshit day after day, annoyed of the fanatism of both sides and we would like to focus our economy in things more importants instead of this entire BULLSHIT that is spending a lot of our money and not doing nothing important, because you can live in a illusion but the result of this entire thing is gonna be the reiforcement of the PP in Spain (for a long time probably unfortunately) and the down of the catalonian economy, we are gonna need years to be the same and the social fracture is gonna be here for generations. There is not international support (dont let you lie for the propaganda of the social media, the catalan media is so manipulated as the one in Madrid, a real shit) and there is not ways to become a country, the only thing that is doing this is wasting the time a giving votes to the PP.

3-In a democracy you cannot create a new country with only a 49% of the representation, you are making a new country fractured and in another times would be a civil war. Also, if you support something like that you should let to Barcelona to become independent of Catalonian, because a HUGE % of its population and the majors of the Barcelona province are not supporting the DUI and force them to stay in Catalonia would be the same that you are claiming that Madrid is doing.

This DUI is not something to follow for anyone that respects the freedom, the democracy and the will of the people. The catalonian government and their supporters are turning away their faces to the real situation here and taking benefit of the fanatics and the feelings of a poor fellows. The spanish government is another that is not respecting the human rights and democracy, they should let a real referendum to see the real results and finish with this entire circus, this has been long for enough time.

I think that the one who is not being critic is you, both teams of this match are full of shit. I have to remember you that Puigdemont supported decisions as giving more money to private schools (christian legion and similas) and giving less to the public ones? I have to remember you that he was not supporting another international referendums that they were in the same positions than Catalunya? I have to remember you all the corruption and the money that they stole from our wallet? Or that you are supporting with this kind of messages the economy of a political groups that has approved a lot of bullshit and hit people that was doing manifestations about the public heal system, the education and the freedom?

1- Goverment taking the not participation as the no is full bullshit, "la mayoria silenciosa" (the quiet majority) argument is so bad that can be understood very easily with the demonstration of today. Today around 300k people were at a demonstration in Barcelona for what they call the unity of Spain, with some violent acts by the way, if we follow this rule, then we can say all the people who didn't demostrated are in favor of the Catalan Republic, you can see by yourself that this is false.
For the referendum is the same, not everybody who went to vote was a no, also there are people who simply doesn't care, and for sure there's people who should voted yes but or couldn't go or the boxes of the referendum were stealed by the police (catalan and spanish). Even I know people who couldn't vote, or didn't went to vote even they will had voted yes.

2- I repeat, you don't know how democracy works, if you don't like a thing you should vote against it, not voting means your opinion doesn't count, and you should deal with the result.
I'm agree that PP and C's are reiforced by this situation.
I'm not agree this is afecting the catalan economy, at least for now, most of the companies only moved the social headquarters, maybe if we leave the european union yes, but a lot of people think that at the beggining it will be hard but then the economy will recover.
And for the international support, we are following the Slovenia way, they didn't have the first support after six months of the declaration of independence, maybe we even take more time, but if we remain strong we can do it.
Saying the Catalan media and the Spanish ones are the same is lying, if you are catalan you could easly check that La1 (spanish national TV) is actually manipulated while TV3 (catalan public tv) is not. Of course there are things that TV3 look by our side, but the maniputacion has nothing to be with the spanish ones. Take the today demonstration, TV3 did a full coverage, while the spanish channels usually didn't cover more than 5 seconds the catalan demonstrations.

3- We are all agree that a pacted referendum will be the best way, but you can't say that the way we followed to declare the independent isn't democratic. Everybody want a pacted referendum in the independentist movement, but the spanish side don't want to because they aren't democratic and fear to lose.
For the Barcelona being different than Catalonia I don't see the problem, we voted as an entity, so you have to take into account all the territory. Even that every territory should have the right to be selfdependant, and if there's some part, a logical, not a city more like the Barcelona or Tarragona province that want to be independant they should do a referendum and let them go if they win. It can happen with Val D'Aran, an occitan territory that exist in Catalonia and I'm very ok that they could decide his own future since they have a different language, economic interests and history.

4 - Almost all the countries in the world had done a DUI, some of them even without any referendum. We have to build another legal system that I'm sure can be better than the Spanish one.

5 - Believe me that being equidistant is never the good option, if not you can be allow a lot of things that actually are very bad.
About what you are saying of Puigdemont is true, but this has nothing to do with the independence, I'm not a Pdcat supporter and even that I support indepence, you have split that.
About not supporting the international referendums is another goal made by the centralists to the general opinion. That was a motition proposed by ICV (left-eco party of catalonia) for the support of Palestine and West Sahara but that also included a boycott to the Isrealian products and companies, CIU said they didn't want to do that boycott.
The corruption that appeared in Catalonia is actually less than the other autonomous regions, the spanish media sell it that in catalonia we have a lot of opened cases, but what they don't tell is that with the percentage other regions win by large, please check: http://www.elmundo.es/grafico/espana/2014/11/06/5458f3c1268e3e962f8b457b.html
Also think about the central goverment is using the legal system to show all the corruption to lower the support of the independist parties, in the last months they couldn't show anything more because thanks this process we are clear. Thanks Spain!
And for the last sentece you mean CIU, yeah sure, we don't like CIU neither, but can I remmember you that just in the last few years CIU became independentist? that almost for sure they do it because they fear to lose votes? that actually the independentist movement came from the people it self and not what the spanish media said like it was a Mas strategy?

Edit: A typical news when there are spanish nacionalist demonstrations: http://www.naciodigital.cat/noticia...t/manifestacio/espanyolista/al/passeig/gracia Racist aggresion by spanish nationalists.

llien

Any insiders here?

On paper separatist case of 92% of 43% voting for independence doesn't look too convincing (although nothing to ignore either),

Did central government really regain control?

Any insiders here?

On paper separatist case of 92% of 43% voting for independence doesn't look too convincing (although nothing to ignore either),

Did central government really regain control?
Not over there but didn't they arrest the separatist government?

2- I repeat, you don't know how democracy works, if you don't like a thing you should vote against it, not voting means your opinion doesn't count, and you should deal with the result.

All over the planet, democracy works differently.
However, an election or a referendum is not valid if it does not follow the laws in place.
And it's not really democracy unless all parties involved recognize the legitimacy of the process.

There is some current of thoughts that believe that any parts, region, city, province and the like should be able to be fully independent if 50% of the population agrees. That sounds like the path back to the city states of the antiquity and the middle ages.

Top Bottom