• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine (Atlus - PS3/360) website open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I really love the artwork. Reminds me of NMH.

There doesn't seem to be any artist at Atlus that I don't like. Kaneko's the best though.

Grimmy

Banned
New info (and pics) from Andriasang. Includes the first plot description! Those hands are scary :eek:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/24/catherine_nemesis/

In Catherine, ambition-free salaryman Vincent starts experiencing strange nightmares after he meets his flirtatious dream girl Catherine one day.

In the nightmares, he finds himself surrounded by lambs. And it looks like he's started to take on some lamb-like properties himself.

dragonlife29 said:
My love and respect for Atlus would become even stronger if Catherine ends up being a guy. The logo's CatHErine, FFS! :lol

I'm kinda hoping it happens, but that may just be me.

Well with all the mars (male) symbols appearing in the trailer around her and stuff, you may just get your wish.

Grimmy said:
New info (and pics) from Andriasang. Includes the first plot description! Those hands are scary :eek:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/24/catherine_nemesis/

In Catherine, ambition-free salaryman Vincent starts experiencing strange nightmares after he meets his flirtatious dream girl Catherine one day.

In the nightmares, he finds himself surrounded by lambs. And it looks like he's started to take on some lamb-like properties himself.

This is getting better and better...

...except those are not lambs..look more like rams to me...

even more details from andriasang (this time about the marketing campaign in Japan): http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/24/catherine_retail_poster/

There are really using that initial image as a promotional poster. I hope it becomes the box art of the game:

2132423600_view.jpg

remz

Could they even put that on a box in the west? seems kinda provocative,:lol might get the wal-marts of the world up in amrs or something

love the art personally though, specially they way they rendered vincent's face and the text there.

jcm

remz said:
Could they even put that on a box in the west? seems kinda provocative,:lol might get the wal-marts of the world up in amrs or something

love the art personally though, specially they way they rendered vincent's face and the text there.

Does Walmart carry Atlus games in store?

remz

no idea, i'm australian.

i suppose in the grand scheme of thhings, it probably wouldn't matter too much, but still.

Gravijah

jcm said:
Does Walmart carry Atlus games in store?

Yeah, I've seen some. Mostly stuff like Trauma Team, though. I've seen a few NISA games, too. Sould Nomad at Wal Mart always surprised me.

This game already greatly disturbs me but I'm drawn to it. The idea of this freaky chick possibly turning the hero into a lamb/ram and her being your main villain seems probable and creepy and awesome.

Nemesis_

So, umm, what kind of game is this? I thought this was a text based adventure kind of like the Steins;Gate game that came out recently, but is it something a bit more gamey than that?

(And, is this definitely confirmed for a Western release, or am I fawning over a niche horror title that will no doubt appeal to me but I'll never be able to play. =()

The Videogame Wallpaper/Hi Res Art thread better deliver on this game ! Atlus' artbooks are also amazing. I bought the Soejima Shigenori 2004-2010 Works when I was in Japan earlier this month and it does not disappoint. A Catherine artbook? YES PLEASE

This even getting localized? It looks interesting, but no use getting hyped if it's not gonna make it outside Japan like ToV for the PS3 or No More Heroes.

Danielsan

riceandbeans said:
This even getting localized? It looks interesting, but no use getting hyped if it's not gonna make it outside Japan like ToV for the PS3 or No More Heroes.
Atlus will come through.
They always do.

It's an Atlus game and Atlus US tends to bring over pretty much every game their mother company develops; no matter how niche it may be. And there is really nothing outrageous about Catherine that should make us believe Atlus US will skip it.

remz said:

if it sadly doesn't make it i hope atlus makes a flip cover with that pic as the alternate.

wrowa

remz said:
The "west" is more than just the US, though. I doubt that people would care about that artwork as a box art in most parts of Europe.

murakami_sheep.jpg

if you're interested in this game, & you haven't read this man's books, you are in for a mega-treat. i've read everything by him published here (which is close to everything he's ever written), & he's hands down my favorite living author (with 'hard-boiled wonderland and the end of the world' being my personal favorite)...

Xater

semiconscious said:
http://shared.net.au/bookbay/book_images/murakami_sheep.jpg[IMG]

if you're interested in this game, & you haven't read this man's books, you are in for a mega-treat. i've read everything by him published here (which is close to everything he's ever written), & he's hands down my favorite living author (with 'hard-boiled wonderland and the end of the world' being my personal favorite)...[/QUOTE]

So I wasn't the only one who was reminded of that sheep man. :D

matmanx1

The combination of sex and horror imagery is strangely captivating. It's like I'm attracted and repulsed at the same time. I hope the rest of the reveal and the game itself lives up to the early build up because so far it's all brilliant. I need to figure out what this game is all about.

if this game gets released in US think i will have to preorder to snag a copy? I'm intrigued by all the bizarre shit. I do like the character designs
and the boobs

Quixzlizx

_dementia said:
Worse than no localization?

While it wouldn't be worse than no localization, it would also mean that the chances of a competent company bringing it over would drop to nil. So, it may be worse than "no current localization."

tokkun

remz said:
Could they even put that on a box in the west?

Your best chance is if they decide to produce a reversible cover.

I wouldn't be shocked if they loaded up the cover with pentagrams and called it Shin Megami Tensei: Catherine in the US.

tokkun said:
Your best chance is if they decide to produce a reversible cover.

I wouldn't be shocked if they loaded up the cover with pentagrams and called it Shin Megami Tensei: Catherine in the US.

I wouldn't mind. That has a nice ring to it.

Wow I don't know what has me attracted to this game. But it just seems very comical. They should totally get Mr. Blum to voice him, it would be so awesome because Vincent looks like Spike! =D

I hope it gets localized, because I don't have any Japanese skills and since it isn't a Pokémon game, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it in a language other than English. However, PS3 is region free, so at least I still have the option if I want to!

Apath

MidnightScott said:
Wow I don't know what has me attracted to this game. But it just seems very comical. They should totally get Mr. Blum to voice him, it would be so awesome because Vincent looks like Spike! =D

I hope it gets localized, because I don't have any Japanese skills and since it isn't a Pokémon game, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it in a language other than English. However, PS3 is region free, so at least I still have the option if I want to!
Several years back my little brother ordered Pokemon Leaf Green on ebay, only they sent a Japanese cart. I couldn't for the life of my figure out how people are able to competently play the game without some sort of reference, assuming they only knew English. Outside of yes and no, I was pretty clueless :lol

Presentation wise this game is very intriguing, but I'd have to see how the game plays before getting excited over it.

Kenak said:
Several years back my little brother ordered Pokemon Leaf Green on ebay, only they sent a Japanese cart. I couldn't for the life of my figure out how people are able to competently play the game without some sort of reference, assuming they only knew English. Outside of yes and no, I was pretty clueless :lol

Presentation wise this game is very intriguing, but I'd have to see how the game plays before getting excited over it.

When you've played just about every Pokémon game, it really isn't that hard to get through them in a foreign language. I myself am importing Pokémon White. Also, there will be guides within a few days of release on Gamefaqs and other sites.

But this I hope gets brought over! Looks neat =)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
semiconscious said:
murakami_sheep.jpg

if you're interested in this game, & you haven't read this man's books, you are in for a mega-treat. i've read everything by him published here (which is close to everything he's ever written), & he's hands down my favorite living author (with 'hard-boiled wonderland and the end of the world' being my personal favorite)...
That reminds me that I need to keep reading Windup Bird Chronicles....so, Hard Boiled Wonderland next I guess, and what else is a great read of his?

I continue to be baffled by why people are so concerned that this won't be brought over. It's the first HD game developed by the mothership, and done by the team behind their most successful franchise, and yet Atlus US, a company who trades on pleasing their fans and making profits off of ridiculously low shipment runs, would balk at the chance to localize it? Crazy talk.

jcm

semiconscious said:

If I haven't read anything by him, is this the one I should start with? It sounds interesting.

mattiewheels said:
That reminds me that I need to keep reading Windup Bird Chronicles....so, Hard Boiled Wonderland next I guess, and what else is a great read of his?

he's never written a bad book, tho some are quite a bit more low-key/down-to-earth compared to others. wild sheep chase & dance dance dance are both dreamy & off enough to raise them a notch, but i'd say windup bird, hard-boiled wonderland, & kafka on the shore are the cream of the crop...

(& then there's the elephant vanishes, a short story collection, which's fun, as well as his non-fiction work, underground (about the subway sarin attacks), which shows he's as good a journalist as a fiction writer. &, finally, his semi-autobiography, what i talk about when i talk about running, which centers on his long-time involvement with marathon running, & which shows he's as good an athlete as the other 2 :) ... &, yes, i think the guy's a fucking genius :) ...)

jcm said:
If I haven't read anything by him, is this the one I should start with? It sounds interesting.

start with hard-boiled wonderland - best introduction to where he's coming from, &, if you don't like it, you likely won't like anything else he's done. it was the first of his i read (right after reading snow crash :) ), & it blew me away...

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Ridley327 said:
BUT IT HAS SEX STUFF IN IT
that means it's mature and that means its good and on xbox. anyway i will have to beg mommy to come into the gamestop with me but thats okay cuz theres sex in it and its mature

Vamphuntr

Aeana said:
Tell those people that they should have bought Growlanser 5, because it only sold 5700 copies.

I did and traded it back. It's my least favorite Growlanser (I played 2,3,4 and 5). Even the LE was awful. The bonus DVD was a power point slideshow with horrible facts and trivia...

Still not hyped for Catherine. Will need to see gameplay.

mollipen

dragonlife29 said:
My love and respect for Atlus would become even stronger if Catherine ends up being a guy. The logo's CatHErine, FFS! :lol

I'm kinda hoping it happens, but that may just be me.

I really hadn't noticed how much the "HE" stands out in the logo until you said that. That, or you've now put that suggestion into my brain, and it's standing out because of you!

Vamphuntr

MidnightScott said:
OMG now I noticed that too. So he's dreaming of fucking a chick who in reality has a dick? WTF c.c;

The HE stands out probably because his head is there on the poster beneath the ''HE''...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
MidnightScott said:
OMG now I noticed that too. So he's dreaming of fucking a chick who in reality has a dick? WTF c.c;
More common than you think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom