• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cavaliers have traded Kyrie Irving for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Žiži, & pick

megalowho

Cavs have the pieces to run compelling 5 out sets with IT, JR, Crowder and Love. Might give up too much defensively for it to work for long stretches but the spacing and firepower around Bron would be lethal on offense.

The guard defensive rotation is gonna be a weakness, it is what it is. I'm sure the staff will be studying Celtics tape for tips on hiding IT against players he has no business guarding. Crowder can be a frustrating defender as well, but he's beef they'll need inside.

Dragun619

Lue should just go and rollout IT, Jr, Crowder, LeBron, & Love as the starting line up, at least for opening day when they play against the Celtics. That's gonna be fun to watch.

But yea, would Crowder really settle for that bench role anyways?

Lue should just go and rollout IT, Jr, Crowder, LeBron, & Love as the starting line up, at least for opening day when they play against the Celtics. That's gonna be fun to watch.

But yea, would Crowder really settle for that bench role anyways?

He's a role player under contract for 3 more years. Wtf is he gonna do other than settle?

Cavs have the pieces to run compelling 5 out sets with IT, JR, Crowder and Love. Might give up too much defensively for it to work for long stretches but the spacing and firepower around Bron would be lethal on offense.

The guard defensive rotation is gonna be a weakness, it is what it is. I'm sure the staff will be studying Celtics tape for tips on hiding IT against players he has no business guarding. Crowder can be a frustrating defender as well, but he's beef they'll need inside.

Yea if IT is reasonably healthy most of the season and Rose can give us 20 minutes or so a night, we should be able to win 60 games fairly comfortably. The roster really is very deep this year. Korver from day 1, Punished IT & Crowder, KLove hopefully a year better (he's gotten better every year in CLE), healthy JR, hopefully Shump getting better (his jumper was objectively better last year). Consistent TT. Maybe even a DWade.

Still undersized at C and guards that can't guard, but we're still gonna score like 113ppg.

Yea if IT is reasonably healthy most of the season and Rose can give us 20 minutes or so a night, we should be able to win 60 games fairly comfortably. The roster really is very deep this year. Korver from day 1, Punished IT & Crowder, KLove hopefully a year better (he's gotten better every year in CLE), healthy JR, hopefully Shump getting better (his jumper was objectively better last year). Consistent TT. Maybe even a DWade.

Still undersized at C and guards that can't guard, but we're still gonna score like 113ppg.

Getting Dwyane Wade would make the team worse, not better.

Jarate

Banned
Its amazing how much the Warriors existence has changed the league.

Breh, The Cavs have absolutely no SG that is better then Wade. JR is too inconsistent, and Shumpert isn't all that good IMO. Wade is a massive upgrade, and when he can consistently go all out in the playoffs he's still dangerous

Wade is just about done.

I mean we're not talking about riding him for 40 minutes a game fam. Him splitting time with JR and Shump would be awesome for us, don't you think? He's still more than capable on the offensive end (18ppg in a situation last year where they clearly had no chemistry or future) and will be playing with his best friend on a team almost guaranteed to go to the Finals again.

Motivated DWade, Playoff DWade
Punished Thomas
Punished Crowder

I don't see anything to dislike about his addition unless it comes at too high a price point. Just think of how fun it would be to watch a starting lineup of:

Thomas
Wade
James
Love
Thompson

Just look at it. Good enough to beat the Warriors? Clearly not. But fun as hell? Absolutely. :D

Dragun619

He's a role player under contract for 3 more years. Wtf is he gonna do other than settle?

That's true, I guess. Wouldn't be surprised if he causes some drama throughout the season though.

Probably an upgrade over JR and Shumpert at this point, but a starting backcourt with Isaiah Thomas & D.Wade doesn't sound that great. Pair him up with D.Rose and bruh, what are you doing?

I can't even imagine how someone could look at any situation this optimistically. Everyone stays healthy and plays to their maximum ability and we cruise to 60 games no sweat! Woohoo!

Did you even read this as you were typing it out and rethink any of it?

Nydius

Gold Member

There's a lot of "IF"'s and wishful thinking in that statement. Here's a follow up one: What if KLove peaked last year? You can't reasonably expect someone to get better EVERY year. They'll either plateau for a bit or they'll start to drop off. And let's be real here, Rose can't stay healthy to save his life so Cleveland has at least two players who are always one awkward fall from season-ending health issues.

Even if all the stars align and everything you wrote comes to pass, it still doesn't change the fact that Cleveland is still WAY behind Golden State both in starting five and bench depth.

cdyhybrid

8qtw0wi.jpg

Why do people bash Boston fans tho

It must be jealousy

The Nets pick is probably better draft compensation then i ever imagined getting, but still alittle shocked this happened lol.

Opening night will be something though.

Not sure we've heard anything on the trade from IT yet?

orochi91

Are the Nets expected to perform decently next season?

I've been reading on the Celtics subreddit that the BKN Draft Pick only matters if the Nets play really poorly.

bionic77

So now Derrick Rose is playing for the veteran's minimum... I doubt he likes that.
Be interesting to see how much playing time he gets.

He can't shoot, is not a great defender and needs the ball in his hands to do anything. He does not seem like a good LeBron teammate. IT makes a lot of sense. Even Crowder will fit in with the Bron offense.

Are the Nets expected to perform decently next season?

I've been reading on the Celtics subreddit that the BKN Draft Pick only matters if the Nets play really poorly.
The roster
Starters:
C: Timofey Mozgov
PF: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
SF: Allen Crabbe
SG: D'Angelo Russell
PG: Jeremy Lin
Bench:
C: Jarrett Allen
PF: Trevor Booker
SF: DeMarre Carroll
SG: Sean Kilpatrick
PG: Spencer Dinwiddie

Cavs are finished. How the hell are they going to compete with the Dubs now?

You traded the guy who actually won you your championship. And traded him to a team that stacked up to beat you. The Cav's front office is run by nematodes.

Bygones? He concussed Crowder, which lead to a serious knee injury. If anything he's thinking Bye, be gone

They buried the hatchet in December 2015...

Before the Boston Celtics met the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday night for the first time since last year’s playoffs, Celtics forward Jae Crowder said he was hoping for an apology from Cavaliers guard J.R. Smith for a vicious blow that left him injured.

Smith didn’t give one to him.

“Yeah, he might want to wait on that,” Smith told reporters after the game. “He can hold his breath for it, though. I’ll give it to him sooner or later. It wasn’t intentional how they try to make it seem. If you play chippy, chippy things are going to happen.

“It’s pretty ballsy to ask for an apology from another man, though. I respect it,” Smith added.

Right in Crowder's back.

MBS

Banned
Bill Simmons on Kyrie trades a month ago:
Giving up IT+Taytum+Pick = Unreasonable. Taytum is the next Paul Pierce, he is untradeable.

Giving up Bledsoe+Josh Jackson+Pick = Would do it in a heartbeat. Jackson is a surefire bust because....well....he didn't want to play for the Celtics.

Talking about horrendous journalism and spinning the narrative:

- Nick Wright, June '17: "Danny Ainge is overvaluing his draft pics waaay too much, he has no balls to pull the trigger".

- Nick Wright, August '17: "They gave too much for Kyrie including the super valuable Brooklyn pick".

Top Bottom