• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt Red: 'Cyberpunk 2077 is far, far bigger than The Witcher 3'

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Take a completely different route to combat please. I don't want to see a shred of Witcher jank making its way across to poison this game as well.

Play all the other games with good, non-shit gameplay, and copy those.

This kind of reveal does not hurt anyone (except gamers).

They didn't promised shit, just showed they have a new, interesting project in the pipeline that will be a sci-fi RPG.

Not a disease IMO. I am happy to know CDP is working on a game that will excite me.

The early reveal was essentially 'we're now hiring for a Cyberpunk RPG' notice. In a secret message itself in the trailer they said Witcher 3's coming soon and is closer to completion. I suppose sometime after the trailer or maybe even later they realized that it'll take a lot longer for Witcher 3 to complete given it's scope and they made a good decision to delay it as Witcher 3 definitely made good use of the extra dev time and turned out fantastic.
If nothing else, at least we know for sure that Cyberpunk will be out and will be good.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
God, this obsession with dick measuring contests in the form of map sizes is killing me. I'm losing more and more interest in open world games because there's not enough interesting shit to fill wide open areas.

God, this obsession with dick measuring contests in the form of map sizes is killing me. I'm losing more and more interest in open world games because there's not enough interesting shit to fill wide open areas.

They say the game will be bigger, as the project is bigger and more complex, they didnt talk about the map size.
Having more dialogues, better written quests, more characters, better RPG mechanics etc also increases the resources needed for the project, and equates to a bigger game.
The game could totally feature an openworld mega city, smaller in size than the Witcher 3 map, and still be a 'bigger' game.

tuxfool

Banned

Good thing that it isn't about map sizes.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
never heard of it until i seen that CDPR were making it. it looks cool i guess based on the trailer.

who knows what bigger means but i trust that they will do a good job.

TVexperto

I dont really need a bigger game but a more focused and compact game. I always say I enjoy playing a game that is 20 hours fantastic instead of a game that is a 50 hour chore to get through.

eXistor

Bleh, I don't want bigger, I want smaller, denser worlds. How awesome would it be if Cyberpunk was set in one big(ish) city, but every building was fully exploreable? That's what I want.

Denton

Man, I would love to play this game. But I don't play shooters. :(
Why

And also,I am sure shooting will be just one of the options available. There will be stealth and other combat styles no doubt.

Also, it would sure be nice if people could stop misunderstanding what was meant by bigger here.

I believe it when I see it.
Didn't they say right after W3 release that they got a lot of money and now it's time to start doing CP2077 ?
For now it's vaporware, but CDProjectRed didn't fail gamers once.

KingBroly

Banned
Given all of the problems Witcher 3 has/had technically, it makes me sigh in disappointment, because it means that it'll be more problematic in this, because I simply can't see them stepping up their QA game.

I don't want a game that is much bigger then Witcher 3 to be honest. Atleast not one of Witcher 3's genre. Game is already barren enough.

But since we are talking Cyberpunk here ..... im curious.

Falchion

I can't even comprehend how much content there will be if they are claiming it's scope will dwarf Witcher 3. Maybe procedurally generated content in space like No Man's Sky.

I don't want anything bigger than Witcher 3. That was far too big for its own good. Give me a smaller, more focused experience any day.

But we know nothing about this game, so we'll see.

BlackRock

Hype! I'm not sure I'm going to be able to handle how excited everything about this project makes me. It's sort of one of my dream games they've described so far. Maybe miracles come true. Can't wait for some gameplay.

danmaku

I dont really need a bigger game but a more focused and compact game. I always say I enjoy playing a game that is 20 hours fantastic instead of a game that is a 50 hour chore to get through.

Not exactly a fair comparison. Who would play a boring game rather than a good one, regardless of size? smh

Percy

Banned
All the virtual real estate in the world ain't gonna mean shit if CDPR don't learn how to design a decent combat system before this game comes out.

sappyday

They gained my trust with The Witcher 3. Even back when I didn't like The Witcher 3 (when playing the game on normal) I was still hyped for 2077.

IvorB

Maybe they should focus on delivering on a large scope to an acceptable standard of technical quality rather than trying to expand that scope again.

God damn. Stop making 100+ hour games and just make an awesome focused story that doesn't have a million fetch quests. Give me one big city with loads to interact with like gtaiv size rather than going for a box to tick for your marketing push.

what? witcher 3 was awesome with this

StoveOven

Banned
Despite knowing little about it, this game has been my most anticipated game since it was announced. I've always wanted a big, Cyberpunk RPG. Deus Ex is great, but I want one where I can freely explore a Cyberpunk world at my leisure. Hopefully they deliver on the promise

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Great news. There are a billion (probably literally) small, indie, snack sized games on every platform known to man. Don't like "100+ hour games" go pick a platform, close your eyes and point. Congrats, you just found a non-"100+ hour game." Glad to see it's not just Bethesda trying to make enormous, sprawling RPGs.

ugh please no,
make it a third of the size of the witcher but make it dripping with quality and polish. im getting sick of this trend where everything is open and big for the heck of it

CHC

Goddammit I'm gonna have a breakdown. Witcher III kept me busy for over 150 hours on ONE playthrough, and I didn't even do remotely everything.

I'm confident that they can make it interesting though. Witcher III was JUST intimate enough - I never really felt like it was unncessarily large or repetitive, except perhaps for all the sunken treasures in Skellige. But whatever, those weren't really required or anything, nor did they have repetive quests associated with them.

If they stick to their usual quality they can make it however big they want, I am not worried about bloat from CDPR.

UrbanRats

Great news. There are a billion (probably literally) small, indie, snack sized games on every platform known to man. Don't like "100+ hour games" go pick a platform, close your eyes and point. Congrats, you just found a non-"100+ hour game." Glad to see it's not just Bethesda trying to make enormous, sprawling RPGs.
I agree, if people able to do huge games won't do them who is supposed to?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
ugh please no,
make it a third of the size of the witcher but make it dripping with quality and polish. im getting sick of this trend where everything is open and big for the heck of it

There is a trend of open-world science fiction games? Where?

Top Bottom