• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt: Worth $1 billion, 100 devs on Gwent, GOG Galaxy as uPlay?, more

I'm genuinely happy for their success. Thanks to Blood and Wine, W3 might end up being my GOTY again this year... 200+ hours in, and I'm still in awe of what they accomplished with this game. can't wait to see what they do next.

friday

I would just like to voice my support for GoG Galaxy. It's for sure a better service than Origin, UPlay, and even Battle.net when it comes to UI and speed.

Damerman

this must mean good things for Cyberpunk 2077... one of my most anticipated games. Deus ex has me thirsting for more cyberpunk stuff.

Speely

Banned
No, they said it'd be more complex, as in a massive city with a lot of verticality as well. But yes, they're easily the most ambitious dev in the industry right now.

Indeed. Night City isn't a low sprawl, but a looming mass stacked on top of itself. I am actually really looking forward to how they deal with the density if they try to realize it somewhat faithfully. Granted, they will have to presumably make some allowances for gameplay and player agency, but otherwise this is probably going to be a pretty tightly-packed affair. I can't really think of an example of that (on this supposed scale) right now.

Crossing my fingers they don't get bought out.

They've had multiple offers from big publishers and have declined all of them. Iwinski made it clear they are very successful and wish to remain independent. Don't think we need to worry about that.

Inviusx

Proof that piracy wont kill your company if your games are worth paying for. Seriously these guys have been against DRM at every turn.

They deserve all the success. Thanks for respecting your audience CD Project.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gwent is going to be far better than it has any right to be.

And I fear for my social life once Cyberpunk drops. Unless it's fucking terrible and sinks the company. You never know.

selo

That's great news, hopefully other publishes/devs will learn a thing or two from these guys, they are the company with the right vision on how things should be. Keep it up, CDPR!

As for Gwent, I did like the game on W3, I'll try the game on PC, but I do not see myself playing it for a long time (played hearthstone for about 10 hours), hopefully it'll do well though!

And Cyberpunk... might be a scorpio/ps4+ game if not a newer gen console :eek:

lazerfox

I finished the B&W story last week and I'm now doing the Gwent quest. It's really fun so far but it's way to easy. I hope the actual tournament quest will be harder.

What has CDP finished?

The ending of Witcher 3 felt really satisfying to me imho.

The million concurrent Dota 2 players and 500k concurrent CSGO players every day probably think they are doing just fine.

Valve does a really bad job with updating CS:GO. Can't speak for Dota 2 though.

What has CDP finished?

The Witcher series had a pretty satisfying conclusion, especially with Blood and Wine expansion.

In any case, big congratulations to CD Projekt RED. It shows how much successful you can be in the gaming industry without fleecing customers of their money with microtransactions and shit.

CDPR is on fire right now. Hope they retain their core vision and integrity as they grow. IMO Bethesda has, largely due to being headed by Howard for so long, and it seems to also be the case with whats his name at CDPR

Yet they were more than happy to stand in Microsoft stage and support Xbone when it was a DRM machine before the 180s and even defend it during the backlash people seems to forget that for some reason.

Well, every thread has to go to shit eventually. There goes this one.

Yet they were more than happy to stand in Microsoft stage and support Xbone when it was a DRM machine before the 180s and even defend it during the backlash people seems to forget that for some reason.

considering how things turned out in the future with their consumer friendly practices via the witcher 3, i don't see how this is really relevant. of course they're not going to be out front loud and bashing business partners

considering how things turned out in the future with their consumer friendly practices via the witcher 3, i don't see how this is really relevant. of course they're not going to be out front loud and bashing business partners

Get out of here with that logic and reason. Everyone should be bashing Microsoft publicly because reasons.

Mohasus

There is no way to support consoles without supporting DRM.

NolbertoS

Congrats to CD Projectz. I hope with their new found money they can remake Witcher 1 on consoles. I played abit of it on PC, but hasn't aged well. Having the whole Witcher Trilogy on consoles would be awesome.

GOG Galaxy isn't bad though. Much, much nicer than something like uPlay or Origin.

Based on what? Origin was never bad and Uplay was fixed in their overhaul on September 2015.

The problem now is that we're getting a ridiculous amount of extra clients for every publisher. We now have Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, Bethesda.net, Rockstar Social Club... and GOG Galaxy. Every single one of them with its own account and password to remember.

LeleSocho

Banned
Based on what? Origin was never bad and Uplay was fixed in their overhaul on September 2015.

The problem now is that we're getting a ridiculous amount of extra clients for every publisher. We now have Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, Bethesda.net, Rockstar Social Club... and GOG Galaxy. Every single one of them with its own account and password to remember.

This is the people's fault that even let Origin and uPlay being a thing back in the day.
All this dumbery is well deserved because "oh noes! how could i skip this bad yearly AAA franchise for 1-2 years! it will kill me!".

It is the truth but CDPR can do wrong right

I was specifically talking about CDPR hypocrisy regarding their stand on DRM don't try to spin to something else

There is no hypocrisy here. You're simply seeing things you want to and projecting. CDPR make massive, big budget games, and to be able to make those games they need consoles, and you can't support consoles by rejecting their policies. They try their best where they can. They run a DRM-free store (gog.com) and release DRM free games on PC. They do regional pricing on Steam for different regions, create some of the most high quality and value for money content. Their business practices are simply the best in the AAA industry at the moment.

I don't know how it works in delusion land, but in the real world, you can't be badmouthing one of your major business partners without consequences. End of the day, they are a business, and they need to support the platforms they release their games on. If you expect them to go on record and say Microsoft is ruining the industy, I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed. They're not suicidal.

And for the record, this is what CDPR had to say about Microsoft's DRM policies. I don't know what about this is so offensive.

We have the same philosophy we had before. On the first day [of release] the game will be available on gog.com without any DRM. At the same time, we cannot punish players who don’t have PCs. I cannot change the policy of Microsoft or Sony, but we will put the game there and if someone doesn’t like DRM they can buy a PC and buy the game there. But if people don’t have a problem with DRM they can buy the game on Xbox One. It’s their choice.

We couldn't simply not release The Witcher 3 on Xbox One. There are people who don't mind the DRM protection and will pick Xbox One as their platform of choice. We can't punish them. Again, we always stress the fact that we're against DRM, but in the market system it's the clients who make the final decision. As developers, we need to create best content we can and make it available for as many players as possible. I would disagree that it would do any good if we decided to abandon one of the platforms, especially when we have the capacity to create games for it. We have no influence on the decisions of platform holders, neither Microsoft's or Sony's, but there is a platform where we can decide what we think works best for the gamers, and that's the PC. I am sure that a lot of gamers will choose one of the consoles for its convenience and easiness of use – that's fine, and by doing so they will agree to whatever rules the platform holder will impose. Ultimately, it's the gamers who will call the shots.

KonradLaw

This is the people's fault that even let Origin and uPlay being a thing back in the day.
All this dumbery is well deserved because "oh noes! how could i skip this bad yearly AAA franchise for 1-2 years! it will kill me!".
Most of biggest F2P games aren't even on Steam at all. So obviously at least for this genre people who whine about separate clients are meaningless minority.
Majority of gamers won't miss on the fricking biggest games around solely because they can't be assed to use non- Steam client.

LeleSocho

Banned
Most of biggest F2P games aren't even on Steam at all. So obviously at least for this genre people who whine about separate clients are meaningless minority.
Majority of gamers won't miss on the fricking biggest games around solely because they can't be assed to use non- Steam client.

They didn't have to miss it just delay playing them. If people didn't subscribe to those clients time 1-2 years and everyone would have eventually gone back to Steam.
And logistics isn't the only problem with these services but also the fact that these shady companies could do whatever the fuck they want to your library instead of a well trusted one that already has promised that if anything is going to happen to them they'll make sure to make sure nothing happens to the games you've bought.

"Gamers" have a self control of a 5 y/o baby and this will bite them in the ass eventually, and for what then? for a couple of copypaste games of the passed year but with a new coat of paint on top.

And just to be clear, i have nothing against GoG Galaxy as it is essentially a metadata library for drm free games but people complaining about having to many clients or having one game tied only for that client is laughable since you have made this thing possible.

Top Bottom