• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR sold over 6 million copies of The Witcher 3 in 6 weeks [$82 million budget]

VodevilX

Banned
Congrats!
And some should take this as a bigBIG F-you... yeah lookin' at you disgusting DRM and DLC abusing, spoiled publishers...

From the link in the OP

TF2YpqG.png

That's 82 millions dollars!! I suppose that's development + marketing?

So with 236 mllion PLN are $63 millions, they still haven't recouped all the investment.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Kind of wish they went for dynamic resolution on ps4 as well, i have not bought the game yet but the framrate on the ps4 version esp in the swamp area from what i have seen is unacceptable. Looks like a great game, but the bad framerate is holding me back, hoping for one more patch, but doubt it would do anything at 1080p

ZhugeEX

Banned
Amazing!

I expect to see more AAA games continue to break the 5m unit mark moving forward.

(When previous entries last gen did not sell as much)

boskee

From the link in the OP

That's 82 millions dollars!! I suppose that's development + marketing?

So with 236 mllion PLN are $63 millions, they still haven't recouped all the investment.

No no, that 236 million is their net profit. The revenue was over 500 million. They previously announced that their budget was covered in the first week.

Also, bulk of that budget is the marketing which was paid by distributors who then subtracted it from the cash paid to CDPR - so their results are after that cash was deducted.

E92 M3

I AM SO HAPPY FOR THEM. The game is amazing and they put in a lot of love and care.

My only one complaint is that the text is too small sometimes.

ViciousDS

Banned
insanely ambitious game.....absolutely incredible and deserved the sales despite minor technical problems on consoles. I remember finally completing it and telling myself it was time for a break....its one of those games I'm going to come back to years down the road and just marvel at it.

ChanMan

Kind of wish they went for dynamic resolution on ps4 as well, i have not bought the game yet but the framrate on the ps4 version esp in the swamp area from what i have seen is unacceptable. Looks like a great game, but the bad framerate is holding me back, hoping for one more patch, but doubt it would do anything at 1080p

I feel sorry for you that something like this is holding you back from playing the game.

No no, that 236 million is their net profit. The revenue was over 500 million. They previously announced that their budget was covered in the first week.

Also, bulk of that budget is the marketing which was paid by distributors who then subtracted it from the cash paid to CDPR - so their results are after that cash was deducted.

Ooops.
revenue <> profit. hur durr...

Thanks to make me see it.

Griss

Congrats.

I'm about halfway through. Have very mixed feelings about it as my first 5 hours with the game were utterly horrible, but when it's good it's so very good. Really feel like 'The Witcher 4' could be the masterpiece 3 wanted to be. Just need to tighten up the controls, combat and UI then spend a bit longer in QA squashing bugs.

Good to see it succeed, though, as I definitely want more of these kinds of games.

Rad Agast

I'm not far into the story yet but I am very impressed with what they have delivered (Didn't start playing till the NG+ patch was out).

iNvid02

fantastic, looking forward to the expansions more than most games so thats saying something about this game man

GeeTeeCee

I completed it yesterday after playing since launch. The sales are well deserved. It's one of the most ambitious games I've ever played, and I don't recall a single moment where I wasn't enjoying myself.

So hyped for Cyberpunk.

EDIT: hooray, I'm a member now!

rbanke

Publishers have me confused, that means this is a horrible failure right?

Tongue firmly in cheek.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Congrats CDPR, well deserved.
It should have been more though.

Hopefully that will teach the other developers and (mostly) the publishers that it pays of to make a well done game (taking the time it needs) without using DRM.

That's great they deserve it. I loved the game my top 25 best game of all time. Now where is cyberpunk? Has there been any new news on that game beside the reveal?

PFD

Going full multiplaform gave this push. They deserve this. Congrats to the team! That means a part 4 is imminent. Yessss!!!

I wouldn't say it's imminent. After the two expansions, they will focus on Cyberpunk, so I don't expect to see another Witcher for a while (5 years minimum)

VariantX

Glad this is doing really well. My best friend has almost zero attention span for games and will quickly dump something the second it becomes annoying or repetitive. He has been playing this game almost non-stop ever since he bought it so it must be a well crafted and interesting world for him to stay interested in something.

Not necessarily. Main quests give significantly more XP than side quests. You can do a ton of side quests and barely gain a level or two. (which is great)

Did they readjust it? Because I skipped the whole of Novigrad because I was in danger of outleveling Skellige after doing too much stuff in Velen/Novigrad surroundings

57060934.jpg

Game looks great at 900p still though and runs really good on Xbox

RPGam3r

Well done CDPR, my GOTY easily at this point. I'm assuming only Fallout 4 stands a chance at competing for that spot.

Knurek

Hope that means Poland becomes as stronger country when it comes to Quality games!

Say wha?
Poland has been killing it when it comes to games for a few years.

I mean, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Shadow Warrior, This War of Mine, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Dying Light just in the last few years... How is that a bad output?

salromano

Open letter from CD Projekt RED studio lead:

Adam Badowski said:
Hey Gamers!

Time does fly! These few months since launch passed faster than you can say potestaquisitor. We’ve been hard at work delivering you new content, fixing what needed to be fixed, and secretly plotting how to rock this boat we call the RPG genre even more. We’ve just concluded our shareholder conference where we announced that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt family got a bit bigger -- we sold over 6 million copies of the game in six weeks since launch. Worry not, I won’t discuss any financial stuff here. I would, however, like to give you some insight on what that means to us as game creators.

One could think we have six million reasons to be happy and that’s it. We do, but that number is also a big responsibility and I want everyone to know that we, as a studio, realize that. For us, all your high praise, all the positive reviews, are also an obligation -- we’ve made a really good game but there’s still a long road ahead of us. Everyone here in CD PROJEKT RED is really attached to their work and how you, the gamers, perceive it. RED is full of artists, wild dreamers and people crazy about what they do (and sometimes just plain crazy). We lose sleep over that particular color the sun has when it sets over Velen, and argue over arranging the furniture in a house the majority of gamers will probably never see. We’re not the kind of people who are easily satisfied and we always strive for more. I’d like you to know that.

Yes, six million copies is a great achievement for a company making RPGs, but this business is not only about that. If our games are a gallery of sound, picture and text - you are the visitors of this gallery. To an artist, there’s no sweeter sight than people enjoying their work. That’s why, in the name of all the devs in the studio, I’d like to say thanks to each and every one of you.

Thanks!

Adam Badowski,
Head of Studio
CD PROJEKT RED

super6646

Banned
This game has some great legs! I think 10m lifetime will happen, and it deserve's it and then some! Probably the ONLY RPG I've really enjoyed in a long time.

m_dorian

I got the GPU that can support it last week. Now i have to wait till late September due to RL.
Congrats CDPR from an early fan of TW1. You deserve this success and more And you will have it.

Top Bottom