• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR's official response to rumors / talk about morale within studio

Tovarisc

dmqxplsx4aax0ipa4kdw.jpg

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/919885993171398656

Cubas

This is somewhat unexpected, to be honest. I wouldn't have thought the rumours/Glasdoor reviews were relevant enough to warrant a statement like this.

This focuses entirely on the progress of their game, with almost no mention of studio morale... Just that what they're doing is difficult.

Yeah, the statement is pretty much "Yeah, making the games we do is difficult", which seems kinda like an excuse for bad morale among some employees.

Arttemis

This focuses entirely on the progress of their game, with almost no mention of studio morale... Just that what they're doing is difficult.

Sentenza

I remember the rumors/leak before The Witcher 3 released.

"They are promising a game that never existed, people will be incredibly disappointed with the results".

Tovarisc

"They are promising a game that never existed, people will be incredibly disappointed with the results".

I remember that "insider" (did mods ever check on him if he was really CDPR dev?) posting on GAF about how TW3 is one functional small map and gameplay demo 2 months from release. Or something like that.

Those who wanted to drag down CDPR and hate on TW3 really ate that stuff up and copy pasted to every possible thread. Those were old good days...

bwakh

Hmm didn't know there were rumors about low morale at CDPR. Nevertheless, nice to hear that development is alive and well on its way.

Blackage

I always pictured game development like raiding in a MMO. Progression and figuring shit out is a drag and it's like "oh god sit me for this, I don't want to be here." and you miss out on friends and family for a while but then you get it down and you're like "Fuck yes, victory!" and you enjoy farm status for a while until the next tier(game) needs comes out and decide if you wanna do it again.

The closest it gets is basically handwaving departures as being a result of staff acknowledging their differences with the direction of the project and/or how it's done, and so electing to leave. Which may or may not be a morale thing depending on how that affects their outlook of working for the company.

Wil348

This. It's good that they are commenting on this, but it's a shame that the actual comment is so vague, and seems to evade some areas of the issue entirely. There is no mention of management issues, nor the mistreatment of lower-level employees like the Glassdoor reviews mentioned.

ViciousDS

Banned
Didn't even know there were morale rumors......and honestly I don't care when they release Cyberpunk because they are the greatest in the game atm.

They can take their time while I still figure out how to deal with all the amazing games I have anyways. If they deliver on anything equal or near Witcher 3 levels with Cyberpunk.....the wait will easily be worth it and the 2k+ hours I put into it will be enjoyed.

But also.....that response doesn't mention morale lol

DemWalls

To be fair, the user that posted those claims (Anaxymenes, if I'm not mistaken) probably meant that in relation to the graphics, and from that point of view he wasn't wrong. His choice of words was certainly ambiguous, though.

Or maybe I'm just giving him too much credit.

Exentryk

This is somewhat unexpected, to be honest. I wouldn't have thought the rumours/Glasdoor reviews were relevant enough to warrant a statement like this.

Yeah, was my first thought.

But regardless, I am really excited to see how epic Cyberpunk ends up being! And the work required to make that happen can't be easy, and not for everyone.

DemWalls

Hmm didn't know there were rumors about low morale at CDPR. Nevertheless, nice to hear that development is alive and well on its way.
Didn't even know there were morale rumors......and honestly I don't care when they release Cyberpunk because they are the greatest in the game atm.

There was a thread about it a few weeks ago:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1435875

But it looks like Glassdoor reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.
Even Mike Pondsmith himself commented on Reddit:
Sigh. Look my friend. 99% of all development projects go through the exact same process 2077 is going through right now. The only diff is that 98% of them labor on in silence and there aren't a million people combing the studio's trash looking for clues. There usually aren't a million people also trying desperately to create drama to fuel hits on their blogs either. Relax and use your endorphin dump to chill--that's why you have one implanted.

This. It's good that they are commenting on this, but it's a shame that the actual comment is so vague, and seems to evade some areas of the issue entirely. There is no mention of management issues, nor the mistreatment of lower-level employees like the Glassdoor reviews mentioned.

Honestly though, would you really expect them to admit they have such problems? I know they have this image of 'good guys', but they're still a business. I'm actually quite surprised they even acknowledged it.

Tovarisc

So they don't really deny the morale rumors. Just that it is kind of the price of their seemingly huge ambitions.

In a way they aren't wrong. Just look at e.g. Naughty Dog and their notoriously long and demanding crunch cycles to deliver games at quality they do. That kind development environment does require very specific kind personalities and could apply to CDPR too as their process to develop could be very demanding in other ways.

That doesn't excuse alleged poor top down management and giving impression that input on project doesn't matter.

Fonds

If anything a statement like this only confirms the rumors.

Opening with a statement that you normally wouldn't respond to rumors, and then giving no new information whatsoever to debase to rumors, isn't really something I'd advocate.

I always pictured game development like raiding in a MMO. Progression and figuring shit out is a drag and it's like "oh god sit me for this, I don't want to be here." and you miss out on friends and family for a while but then you get it down and you're like "Fuck yes, victory!" and you enjoy farm status for a while until the next tier(game) needs comes out and decide if you wanna do it again.

True, and when you say "decide if you want to do it again", the majority of the time you chase that dragon. If you wanted a Dev job that was stable, paid well, and had a normal work week, there's plenty of jobs that aren't gamedev that would fit that bill.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
If anything a statement like this only confirms the rumors.

Opening with a statement that you normally wouldn't respond to rumors, and then giving no new information whatsoever to debase to rumors, isn't really something I'd advocate.

To be honest that's not fair to say that's 100 percent confirmation from them just posting an article to give a decent response and explain than they should. Rather insulting to put that against them.

tuxfool

Banned
That doesn't excuse alleged poor top down management and giving impression that input on project doesn't matter.

Unfortunately when dealing in generalities this kind of comment made by people is hard to parse on whether it is acceptable or not. The fact of the matter is that sometimes input doesn't matter, and people will be ignored simply for bandwidth reasons. Which they may or may not be able to deal with. This says nothing of whether their concerns are valid or not and it is hard to really extrapolate the experience of a few people to a whole team, especially on our side, which all we see is mostly a black box.

Cyberpunk 2077 is the biggest thing CDPR has ever done. And the game is currently slated to release alongside ANOTHER major AAA RPG by 2021.

That's four years of time. Cyberpunk 2077 is progressing very, very slowly, and by now they're probably working on that other AAA RPG (if it still even happens, not sure if it's been cancelled, and we probably won't know until if/when they reveal anything in future earnings reports).

I would imagine morale being low-ish is just a staple of any big games publisher making absurdly huge, technical and infinitesmally complex video games. I'm sure the leads are happy, but the grunts in the trenches? No idea.

Fonds

To be honest that's not fair to say that's 100 percent confirmation from them just posting an article to give a decent response and explain than they should. Rather insulting to put that against them.

It's rather insulting of them to say: "well article X said that the morale is really low and we'd like to respond to that".

Only to have them say" Working in this business is exhausting and we have our standards... so there".

It explains nothing, it doesn't add anything to the discussion.

They just have differing opinions of what is okay and what isn't. Sure if you're an insider things will be more complicated.
But just keep those things private and don't add fuel to the fire. Would've been 100% okay for them not to respond to that article.

"all the hours we put in" is basically an admission of people working overtime right?

odd to put that in a PR about morale being bad typically due to crunch

Lt-47

I wasn't aware of such rumor and they way they avoid the question make it's actually seems true. Bad move from the PR team there

True, and when you say "decide if you want to do it again", the majority of the time you chase that dragon. If you wanted a Dev job that was stable, paid well, and had a normal work week, there's plenty of jobs that aren't gamedev that would fit that bill.

That's absolutely not true for artist, game/level designer and and many more... you want to/are good at 3D, well enjoy all those jobs that will likely destroy you social life, health and more

"We heard that people were worried about our working conditions and progress of the game, so here's why the game is going alright"

Nothing statement, just a weird thing to put out lol.

Kalor

It's a weird statement. They work their way around the morale complaints by talking about how making games is hard. Which it is but if you're going to comment on something like this you should actually address the main issue otherwise you may as well ignore it.

Shari

They address the rumours by saying "BUT LOOK HOW GOOD THE FINAL PRODUCT TURNS EH!".

So yeah, again the shit industry to work for at it.

Gunblade47

Neo Member
Talking around the concerns of the well-being of their employees isn't suspect in the slightest.

"Tomorrow's unethical business practices today!"

Edit: Personally, I'm hoping it's just an unintentionally vague statement.

Not a fan of that statement one bit.

I interpret it as “What we’re doing is difficult, therefore we’re totally justified in treating employees harshly and expecting them to sacrifice their every waking minute to our mandatory crunch culture of endless overtime and pressure!”

They sound like abusive parents.

Adry9

The focus of this statement is their fan base, not their employees, that's why it basically tries to say "we make hard games and we are making good progress" instead of addressing the actual issue.

Marcel

So they don't really deny the morale rumors. Just that it is kind of the price of their seemingly huge ambitions.

Welcome to AAA game development. I'm not apologizing for it but labor exploitation is like the bread and butter for 95% of this industry. You get what you pay for.

Sentenza

They said nothing.

The rumor itself said virtually nothing, honestly.
"A big development team with a lot of crunching is a stressful work environment who's wearing down some people".

Now, to be clear I don't doubt for a minute that's probably very true. It's also something that I'd expect to be true pretty much in any similar environment... And I don't think it's necessarily telling on the quality of their output.

Top Bottom