• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu (Wii U Emulator) introduces customizable graphics (increased internal res&more)

Quick question, I won't have access to 1.7 till next week but will the graphics-enhancements also work for rips in WUD format or do they have to be in the "old" style?

jediyoshi

Quick question, I won't have access to 1.7 till next week but will the graphics-enhancements also work for rips in WUD format or do they have to be in the "old" style?

Functionally they're identical feature wise. I'd still suggest looking up how to extract WUD files into regular files because of their benefits though.

gamerMan

Is the performance better than the last update? On the last version, Mario Kart 8 runs pretty well at 720p but has huge stutters.

Functionally they're identical feature wise. I'd still suggest looking up how to extract WUD files into regular files because of their benefits though.

Ah okay I see thanks. And benefits like on-the-fly file modding? So far I only dumped Super Mario 3D World as a WUD because I plan to eventually install all my disks on the HDD and WUDump has a progress indicator but if I can just extract them I will do that for Cemu use.

Trojan X

Banned
Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 at 4K!?

large.gif

I'll lose the plot too.

Blam

Is the performance better than the last update? On the last version, Mario Kart 8 runs pretty well at 720p but has huge stutters.

Yeah it's now got their shader cache system so that'll fix it. Those stutters were just the shaders being generated so you can most likely get someones shader cache and it should work fine?

jediyoshi

4ipBkWb.jpg

Second game I've run into where 4k has a noticeable performance hit. Already had a significant amount of graphical glitches though so it's been a ways off.

Ah okay I see thanks. And benefits like on-the-fly file modding? So far I only dumped Super Mario 3D World as a WUD because I plan to eventually install all my disks on the HDD and WUDump has a progress indicator but if I can just extract them I will do that for Cemu use.

The benefits are potentially shorter loading times and it just needs to be extracted if you wanted to update the game.

Yeah it's now got their shader cache system so that'll fix it. Those stutters were just the shaders being generated so you can most likely get someones shader cache and it should work fine?

Yep, you either could download someone else's cache or the next time you generate them will be the last. Previously the cache became outdated with every new version, which is why every new version might feel worse off than the last since you had to re-go through the process.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I've gotten my rips of Mario 3d world and Mario Kart 8 working with the 4k mod, but for some reason my Xenoblade rip doesn't work correctly. I've changed the title id to reflect my US copy, and it says active in the graphic pack menu. However, the menus are sharp but none of the textures have changed.

The possible explanation for Xenoblade X (at least on the Patreon post) seems to be that the game itself renders originally at a different resolution than 720p and thus the setting impacts just the menus.

Wait... it just hit me that probably one week after Wii U release of Zelda: BotW people will be able to rip it and play @ 4k resolution via Cemu?

Which will probably (for 99.99%) look miles better than Switch version ?!?

Roo

Wait... it just hit me that probably one week after Wii U release of Zelda: BotW people will be able to rip it and play @ 4k resolution via Cemu?

That pretty much would apply to all the Wii U ports..

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

In terms of resolution it will be the case, native 4k vs upscaled 1080p on 4k. In terms of performance it probably won't run as well though.

KHlover

Banned

That was the case with Skyward Sword back then as well. Also, if the switch version has increased LOD and drawing distance you wouldn't get those improvements. But yeah, the 4K screenshots of BOTW are going to look fantastic, especially if you "cheat" a little with the locations you take them in.

marmoka

Banned
Too bad I only have a shitty computer and cannot run the emulator.

I need Bayonetta 2 screenshots in Full HD, I need a new screensaver, haha.

Is it anti-aliasing possible? Or still very early?

5olid_5nake

So, i5-3350P/gtx 1060 6GB/8GB ddr3 RAM and HDD (no SSD).

Will it be enough to run CEMU?

I was hoping to play Mario Kart 8 splitscreen with my brother in glorious 4k :D.

Vuze

Any repo for shader cache sharing up yet?

Currently in the process of adding my WiiU rips to Steam BPM. Enjoying Captain Toad in native 4K on my TV should be a blast, it seems to run very well judging from the video posted above.

Also I hope Cemu will allow controller + KB mapping for the same profile later on. With the XO Elite Controller, you could map gamepad view / microphone to the paddles this way.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
No dedicated AA option. But if you're playing, say, 4k on a 1080p display, it's basically 4x SSAA (my screenshots in this thread).

Does Xenoblade X render in 4k for you (beyond the menu)? Can you share the settings in your rules.txt if that's the case? Maybe also how the ini file looks like?

Damaniel

Banned
The possible explanation for Xenoblade X (at least on the Patreon post) seems to be that the game itself renders originally at a different resolution than 720p and thus the setting impacts just the menus.

For me, the menus actually look worse unless I run with the 4k version of the pack. Also, it seems like the non-UI improvements in XCX are only being seen in the European version of the game - in the release Patreon post, Team Cemu says that the US and Japanese releases aren't working with it yet, but they're fixing it. Since I dumped my own (US) copy, I'll have to wait to get the full benefit.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
For me, the menus actually look worse unless I run with the 4k version of the pack. Also, it seems like the non-UI improvements in XCX are only being seen in the European version of the game - in the release Patreon post, Team Cemu says that the US and Japanese releases aren't working with it yet, but they're fixing it. Since I dumped my own (US) copy, I'll have to wait to get the full benefit.

I was talking about the 4k version in relation to the menus. And I have a EU digital version and it doesn't work for me either.

Teletraan1

Banned
so im guessing alot of games still arnt that playble in this ?

3D World is playable for me now that I have built that shader cache up. Slight hitches when it encounters something new. Outside of those hitches it never breaks 60fps. I haven't tried some of the other known working games but a lot of my currently ripped library straight up doesn't work or is completely unplayable. Tried Lego City this morning on Nvidia and it was a flickering menu screen that goes black when you try get into the game.

I am hoping that due to the fact that the overall library is not huge we are going to see just about every major title at some point get the same kind of optimization pass that 3D world and a few other tentpole titles look to have already. It is just going to take time but this seems to be progressing at a pretty fast rate.

As far as BotW goes. I doubt it would be rock solid on day one and require some sort of optimizations. I am not one to have to rush to play everything on day 1 so for someone like me I might wait until it is playable to do my first playthrough on an emulator. The Wii U version is coming after the switch version I assume so I would have had to wait anyway.

koss424

It will be so shiny, but run like shit. That's the modern gamers dream I guess.

chrislowe

wow, tried Captain Toad, and it runs at 60fps on my i5 6500 + rx480.

Wonder when the switch emulator will be out :p

edit : only played 4 first levels.

jett

D-Member
That was the case with Skyward Sword back then as well. Also, if the switch version has increased LOD and drawing distance you wouldn't get those improvements. But yeah, the 4K screenshots of BOTW are going to look fantastic, especially if you "cheat" a little with the locations you take them in.

Since BOTW on Wii U has an unstable/unlocked framerate, I wonder what are the chances of the game actually running smoother on Cemu. It's not usual, but it does happen sometimes on emulators.

balgajo

Riping wii u version of Breath of The Wild in 3, 2, 1...
Increased FPS is enable on CEMU? Locked 30 fps would be great.

Top Bottom