• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu, World's First Wii U Emulator, Suddenly Released

Demise

You do know how many years two decades is right?

I think he knows. But when you have an emulator wich can render the code of a 3D game, you're not decade away of it working completely. We are more talking about months, or one year, depending on how fast they can work. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Rich!

there's no award for being right

Theres no award for being a dick to other posters either.

I swear, being on GAF gets more and more disheartening every day. I try my best to make informative posts, helpful threads, and the result is a garbage heap of driveby shitposts, inconsiderate responses and just general dickery.

Sigh.

FZZ

Banned
So this is still closed source right?

When do you think they'll open up the source code, because that's when a majority of the improvements will be made.

I swear, being on GAF gets more and more disheartening every day. I try my best to make informative posts, helpful threads, and the result is a garbage heap of driveby shitposts, inconsiderate responses and just general dickery.

Sigh.

You're a fantastic poster and have provided insight into a lot of the intricacies of emulation and region locking. I personally look for your posts when I want to know how region locking for the 3DS is coming along.

Don't let driveby posts get to you man.

Sigh.

Hey man you're super helpful in the 3ds homebrew thread, don't let shitheads get you down.

GamerJM

Banned

Sigh.

IMO you should make a general topic for neat information about emulation/homebrew. I think it's cool that a lot of people appreciate the informative posts you bring to the table but a lot of the time it just kind of comes across as you just trying to impress people with your knowledge of emulation/homebrew, even if that's not what you're actually trying to do. Also it isn't always completely relevant to the main topic of discussion. Though I'm sorry about any inconsiderate responses or whatnot.

FZZ

Banned
Going by the responses from the dev over at gbatemp, likely never.

Oh wow are they worried about something, does their code infringe on any known copyrights Nintendo has? Did they steal an SDK and rip the code from that?

Or just they want to keep it in an enclosed environment where they can do their own tweaking?

Edit: This reddit thread seems to have the creator's post. Interesting to say the least, but it does make sense. Hopefully it works for the best.

DooMAGE

Sigh.

Calm down friend, we are just talking about games, its not a life or death situation. :)

Mivey

Going by the responses from the dev over at gbatemp, likely never.
As far I understand, by his post from gbatemp, the sole developer wants to get the project to certain point, and then expand it and bring new peope in. At that point going open source could be a good idea, as it would make developement with a larger and shifting team easier.

If they still want to keep it private, I would venture, that when the original developer no longer wants to work on it (for private reasons or simply motivation), they would likely open it up. Has been the case with a few emulators until know. (Even Dolphin, if I'm not mistaken)

So "likely never" seems unlikely. The open source model has too many advantages long term. (Though short term, especially when the code base is still small, closed source might have its advantages too)

Rich!

As far I understand, by his post from gbatemp, the sole developer wants to get the project to certain point, and then expand it and bring new peope in. At that point going open source could be a good idea, as it would make developement with a larger and shifting team easier.

If they still want to keep it private, I would venture, that when the original developer no longer wants to work on it (for private reasons or simply motivation), they would likely open it up. Has been the case with a few emulators until know. (Even Dolphin, if I'm not mistaken)

So "likely never" seems unlikely. The open source model has too many advantages long term. (Though short term, especially when the code base is still small, closed source might have its advantages too)

Ah yeah, just caught up on that.

I'm glad he's explained the reasoning, it makes more sense than the simple 'nope' he was giving prior.

Dali

You are wrong. The Wii was widely pirated. The vast majority of units can be modded with simply placing some files on the SD card and people would stuff USB HDDs full of ISOs downloaded off the internet. Also, mod chips for playing burned DVDs were available shortly after launch.

It will take many, many years before this emulator can be a viable replacement for an actual Wii U (or the NX console, if it includes Wii U BC). The Wii U will be long dead(er) by then.

The only instances where a viable emulator was available during the system lifespan were the GBA and the Wii. Their sales didn't seem to suffer much from that.
Bleem!

Velurian

I was wondering that too... maybe his pc could only handle 53fps instead of the original game's 60?

Tekken 3 was 30 fps.
Running it at 60 was bit too fast but 53 fps felt about the same speed as tekken 4/5 so it felt really good.

So excited to see progress on this. Nintendo emulation is amazing, there's so much Dolphin has done for the Wii library. I can not wait to see what people do with Wii U.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The lighting is terrible and it's so slow! Bad emulator!!

But for real, it's really impressive something that functional already exists. I didn't even think there was solid headway into 360/PS3 emulation yet, but I guess similarities between Nintendo's hardware may have made this (slightly?) easier.

PGamer

fucking juniors
The earlier open source Wii U emulator that went by the generic name "Wii U Emu" has now been renamed Decaf. Perhaps more importantly Decaf has managed to boot its first game: NES Remix Pack.

3cf90ef641.png

The Wii U emulation race is on.

CHC

It's getting hot in here. Kinda rooting for Decaf because A) it has a great name and B) it's ipen source, which has made Dolhpin what it is today.

Stimpack

Sigh.

Well, I don't know what was going on back there, but thanks for the informative post, dude. There are plenty of people here who appreciate it.

dacuk

Sigh.

I enjoy learning a lot from your posts, Rich... please continue doing them, do not let others prevent you from doing what you like.

Reading the creators post for CEMU it makes more sense that way to get it to be accurate and efficient right away then going about hacks and having to clean that up later if it were open sourced. Like if other people edited something but didn't leave comment notes what something did. Going back to get rid of it because it's properly supported they wouldn't know the issue causing it.

I see if better this way in the long run till they get to the point where they have most of the stuff implemented where games run and are supported normally to be open sourced.

moniker

Reading the creators post for CEMU it makes more sense that way to get it to be accurate and efficient right away then going about hacks and having to clean that up later if it were open sourced. Like if other people edited something but didn't leave comment notes what something did. Going back to get rid of it because it's properly supported they wouldn't know the issue causing it.

I see if better this way in the long run till they get to the point where they have most of the stuff implemented where games run and are supported normally to be open sourced.

Being open source doesn't mean that anyone can just make changes to the source code. Take Dolphin for example. Anyone can open a pull request (a patch basically), then other team members will do a code review before it gets merged into the code base. If the code is not good enough, it won't get merged.

Oberon

Banned
Well, this justifies Nintendo's decision to move away from the Wiiu I guess. I hope this won't cost ZeldaU too many sales.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Cemu 1.02 is now out.

Download: http://cemu.info/index.html#download

- Improved accuracy of shader emulation (again).
- Improved the emulation of color and depth buffers.
- Implemented support for: Vertex shader textures, depth samplers and instanced rendering.
- Fixed a bug causing texture unit updates to be ignored
- Some attempts to get the emulator running on AMD graphic cards (but we are not quite there yet)
- If GLSL shader compilation fails the error is now logged to log.txt
- Lots of other small changes and bugfixes.

Cemu also now has its own official site: http://cemu.info/

Vegito

Banned
Damn I gotta say im impressed. The next few years are gonna be interesting. I wonder when well get a ps4 and xbox one emulator.

Cemu v1.1.0 released.

Changelog:
New future-proof GPU7 shader assembly to GLSL decompiler (work-in-progress)
Fixed a few bugs in color and depth buffer emulation.
Added more system functions, leading to higher compatibility.
Added hacky support for DRC rotation. Right click on the render window & drag to change the orientation
Implemented some background logic for audio emulation. No audio output yet.

Vuze

Exciting! Will check the few games I have in apt format out again :)

MH3U: Still glitchy triangle mess in buffer 0
YWW: Still sitting at the loading screen
Splatoon: Still stuck at the gamepad screen, no shader improvements from what I can tell
Kirby Epic Yarn: Still crashes when entering playing modes

So no improvement for the casuel end user like me but changelog sounds promising :) Still amazed that the emu is already where it is now.

Top Bottom