• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu, World's First Wii U Emulator, Suddenly Released

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Looking at how quickly this is making progress, it's crazy to think that The Legend of Zelda U could release on Wii U and PC simultaneously.....

Wait, what?

I don't think this emulator will be anywhere near ready to go within the next six months.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Looking at how quickly this is making progress, it's crazy to think that The Legend of Zelda U could release on Wii U and PC simultaneously.....
2/10.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I don't think this emulator will be anywhere near ready to go within the next six months.

ij4ckvv.gif

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So Zelda is releasing 1H 2016?

I dunno, just making a solid guess. If Zelda is ready to go by the summer I could see them releasing it then like Splatoon in 2015, or perhaps a bit later on ala Super Mario Maker.

it it slips to Christmas, my point stands. I doubt the emulator will be functional enough to play the game from beginning to end without a hitch by the end of the year.

But who knows? It could happen. Crazier things have.

SparkTR

I have to say outside of the GBA emulator in 2001, this has to be the fastest progressing emulator so far. I mean the first release was October this year and now this.

thuway

They are moving a lot faster than I gave them credit for. In two years we might see the Wii U fully emulated 0_0

wazoo

simple question

does this emulator run on original wiiu disk ? i d like to run my disks on pc even in a few years.

I think if you assume someone emulating doesn't own the hardware/software (the games) in question, then he makes a fair point.

End of the day though, Nothing should stop projects like this from happening, because the emulator itself shouldn't be illegal (which is why most emulators don't contain BIOS files for example), that should be up to each individual user.

hodgy100

Isn't that illegal to emulate games of a platform that you don't own ?

Nope :) Emulators are free game solobg as they don't provide copyrighted code from the platform creator, the bios or firmware for example you have to dump that yourself as its illegal to play downloaded ROMs. Though most accept downloading the rom if you own the game/ console it's still technically "wrong" to pirate thebroms/biis. Though i doubt anywhere would actually prosecute you for it though.

FyreWulff

Isn't that illegal to emulate games of a platform that you don't own ?

Emulation is legal as long as you don't use any copyrighted code from the original hardware or acquire the copyrighted code (BIOS, etc) to fill the gaps by ripping it from a personally owned console.

Mivey

Nope :) Emulators are free game solobg as they don't provide copyrighted code from the platform creator, the bios or firmware for example you have to dump that yourself as its illegal to play downloaded ROMs. Though most accept downloading the rom if you own the game/ console it's still technically "wrong" to pirate thebroms/biis. Though i doubt anywhere would actually prosecute you for it though.
Emulation is legal as long as you don't use any copyrighted code from the original hardware or acquire the copyrighted code (BIOS, etc) to fill the gaps by ripping it from a personally owned console.

What about the murky world of software patents? Let's say Nintendo patented the way their specific OS works (weirder things have happened) and then use that as a ground to sue this project. It may not hold water in the courts, but almost no small team of volunteers would be able to afford a legal defense: Therefore, they might be able to do something against this. If they were so enclined.

Demise

Like 10 years? The emulator is far from being useful. Its only a nice technical demonstration.

If they keep that pace, it will be ready in less than 2 years. I worked on open-source emulators before and I can ensure you that this is going FAST. I would like to have the time to help them on this, but unfortunately, I can't.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This will cause me to start buying WiiU games without spending money on a sinking ship console.

Progress seems great so far.

petran79

Banned

also if you own a scratched or damaged disc that is not playable anymore and you're unable to make a backup

BY2K

Membero Americo
It won't be that long. It looks like that now, but so did Mario Kart 8 a while ago and it's now playable.

Last I heard a few weeks ago, you needed a 980 and even then Mario Kart 8 only ran at a unplayable framerate.

This whole: "I want the games but I don't want the system" thing just seems like a sad, whiny attitude to me.

Last I heard a few weeks ago, you needed a 980 and even then Mario Kart 8 only ran at a unplayable framerate.

This whole: "I want the games but I don't want the system" thing just seems like a sad, whiny attitude to me.
I don't like to support the existence of consoles from the big three solely so they can push out exclusives to sell those consoles with. Publishers and developers earn plenty of money from game sales alone. They don't need console sales as well to provide enough funding for their projects.

Plus, I want to play the version of my favorite Wii U game without those jaggies.

thematic

can't wait to play Xenoblade Chronicles X in 1080p native resolution
playing native 720p on 46" 1080p really look a little ugly with jaggies everywhere

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't like to support the existence of consoles from the big three solely so they can push out exclusives to sell those consoles with. Publishers and developers earn plenty of money from game sales alone. They don't need console sales as well to provide enough funding for their projects.

Plus, I want to play the version of my favorite Wii U game without those jaggies.

That's the whole point of exclusives, to sell systems. And we NEED more than one console on the market, otherwise we'd be in trouble.

Could you imagine if Microsoft had been the only one to release a console this gen and so were able to release the first version of the Xbox One that's anti-consumer as hell with all the always-online and anti-used games bullshit?

great news, i'm been thinking about getting a PC. only 2 games i really want to play is mario 3d world and zelda wiiu, hope this ill be ready in 2 years.

Atolm

To those saying this will be playable in two years, you do realize the huge bottleneck current and future CPU are...? You won't run this full-speed in two years. Maybe not even in 5.

i couldn't have dreamt this even if i wanted to. insanely fast progress. too bad there hasn't been an xbox emulator, i'd have loved to play my conker l&r on 60fps with all bells and whistles.

That's the whole point of exclusives, to sell systems. And we NEED more than one console on the market, otherwise we'd be in trouble.

Could you imagine if Microsoft had been the only one to release a console this gen and so were able to release the first version of the Xbox One that's anti-consumer as hell with all the always-online and anti-used games bullshit?
Or we could not have any consoles. I don't see a problem with that.

But that's beside the topic of the thread.

Nyoro SF

Damn this thread had a good run but I suppose I was naive to think piracy talk would steer clear of it.

Guess "take your moral arguments elsewhere" really does need to be in the title of every emulation thread. If you think someone is breaking a law regarding piracy then message a mod.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

The fuck kind of logic is this? I'm honestly not sure if this is an extreme sense of entitlement, or just plain stupid.

MrV4ltor

Because we can't just buy and rip our own games and play them at not mud resolution and framerate instead?
Why wouldn't this emulator run with owned copies of games

every other emulator?

So this response:
by the time this comes out, wiiu will be off the market, i don't think nintendo will be missing anything.

sounds like this:
I'll definitely buy and rip the Wii U games legally, because I think Nintendo deserves my money.

to you guys. Huh...

Top Bottom