• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu, World's First Wii U Emulator, Suddenly Released

Flandy

I hope there will be some way to decrypt games from the estore to use on the emulator. Not all my games are disc based :(

BY2K

Membero Americo
So this response:

sounds like this:

to you guys. Huh...

He responded to a clear accusation of piracy by saying that Nintendo wouldn't miss any of it because by then the Wii U would be off the market, so yes, I think he actually said he's gonna pirate those games.

And considering his general opinion of Nintendo, which is legendary on GAF, I have every reason to believe he would.

Mifec

I mean don't you currently need to own an actual wii u anyways to rip the games legally? Or have I missed something and it's possible with other hardware now?

buy the physical game, donwload it off the net if you can't rip it yourself.

You still gave the company money, anyone who gets mad at someone who does this is a top tier rube.

Datschge

What about the murky world of software patents? Let's say Nintendo patented the way their specific OS works (weirder things have happened) and then use that as a ground to sue this project. It may not hold water in the courts, but almost no small team of volunteers would be able to afford a legal defense: Therefore, they might be able to do something against this. If they were so enclined.
Emulators emulate hardware, pure hardware may not be patented. Software like OS and firmware etc are the typical things that are not included in legal emulators but have to be created by the users from their own machines. So in the ideal cases the whole software patents issue never comes into play. (This is obviously neglecting the possibility that otherwise unrelated software patents may be touched, but that's always regionally dependent on what's actually patentable and patented.)

Pretty exciting news.

Dolphin has been the best way to play gamecube/wii titles for some time.

Look forward to the future where I can play my wiiU titles with upscaling and 60fps.

Probably 2018 at the earliest, but at least progress is being made relatively quickly.

artsi

Last I heard a few weeks ago, you needed a 980 and even then Mario Kart 8 only ran at a unplayable framerate.

This whole: "I want the games but I don't want the system" thing just seems like a sad, whiny attitude to me.

FPS is still low of course, optimization comes after compatibility.

And to be precise, GPU does not matter that much, emulation is done by CPU so you will always need a powerful processor to emulate these games.

petran79

Banned
Pretty exciting news.

Dolphin has been the best way to play gamecube/wii titles for some time.

Look forward to the future where I can play my wiiU titles with upscaling and 60fps.

Probably 2018 at the earliest, but at least progress is being made relatively quickly.

If emulator works on portable devices as well, than it will surpass the original Wii U

This is great, no one thought it would be possible so soon.
Sigh, 2 pages of piracy discussions which have nothing to do with the thread.

roytheone

I always wonder why companies don't make an official emulator themselves and sell their games on pc after their console has run its course, but before the unavoidable unofficial emulators start to become usable.

So this response:

sounds like this:

to you guys. Huh...

well obviously there will be people pirating games no matter what, but when you think about the kind of pc somebody needs to play these games, and by the time they are ready to be played, this won't really effect nintendo at all. lol at people accusing me of pirating something 2-4 years from now, and i don't even own a pc, just thinking about it ;)

Mael

Holy fuck why are people excusing piracy in this thread? why hasn't a mod done some cleaning?
Is Gaf ok with people advocating piracy these days?

Holy fuck why are people excusing piracy in this thread? why hasn't a mod done some cleaning?

No one is advocating piracy, even the people under attack here have stated that they would acquire the software legally. Can we stop the thread derail about this nonsense?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Actually people accusing others of piracy are the ones who end up banned in emulation threads.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Pending the way these things are optimized, we may see competent emulation sooner than later.

And of this is anything like other intensive emulators, a good CPU will be a good foundation for proper emulation.

Mael

I don't like to support the existence of consoles from the big three solely so they can push out exclusives to sell those consoles with. Publishers and developers earn plenty of money from game sales alone. They don't need console sales as well to provide enough funding for their projects.

Plus, I want to play the version of my favorite Wii U game without those jaggies.

This is the most self-centered ignorant post I've seen today and I've seen people say they love Jar Jar today.
Why do you think exclusive games would exist if everything was released everywhere.
This kind of utopia is generally pushed by companies like EA that try to explain how great it would be.
Heck even on PC you get platform exclusives, ever wonder why that was?

No one is advocating piracy, even the people under attack here have stated that they would acquire the software legally. Can we stop the thread derail about this nonsense?

If you buy the software and are incapable of ripping your software yourself and pushing other people to do the same, you're basically advocating for piracy.
It's like that shitty rule about only keeping stuffs for 24hrs on your hdd that people were touting back in the day.

Go PM a mod.
I did.
Actually people accusing others of piracy are the ones who end up banned in emulation threads.
I just saw a post from someone who doesn't want to play the game unless it's on his PC,
considering there's no way, to my knowledge, to dump the game yourself I don't think we can expect him to have any moral high ground to people dling roms on the web.

This is the most self-centered ignorant post I've seen today and I've seen people say they love Jar Jar today.
Why do you think exclusive games would exist if everything was released everywhere.
This kind of utopia is generally pushed by companies like EA that try to explain how great it would be.

Doesn't mean it's right. And business wise it doesn't make sense long term.

I wonder if a good haswell i5 would be enough for most of the games although I suspect it would need to be heavily overclocked. Not worried at all about the gpu side.

Mael

Doesn't mean it's right. And business wise it doesn't make sense long term.

We're in the 3rd decade of platform exclusivity and royalties based business model.
I'd say looking at Apple's, Google's and Sega's financial that long term giving up on that business model is the less business savvy method.

I'm not trying to derail the thread. Stop trying to argue with my opinion, I wasn't trying to convert someone, I was telling someone why some might believe they should be capable of playing a game not on a platform they've purchased.

One of the highest budget games released recently was Grand Theft Auto V. That was a multiplatform title whose publisher wasn't simultaneously earning money through console sales. High budget games exist outside of exclusives. You don't need someone like Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo to throw money at a game in order for it to be AAA.

PC doesn't get exclusives because one of the big three threw money at it. PC gets exclusives because the developer decided they didn't want to release it on other platforms. This could even be something as simple as controllers not being capable of dealing with the same controls as a keyboard and mouse, or the dev/pub not having enough money to release it elsewhere. They weren't being encouraged to do so solely to encourage people to go out and buy PCs.

Mael

I'm not trying to derail the thread. Stop trying to argue with my opinion, I wasn't trying to convert someone, I was telling someone why some might believe they should be capable of playing a game not on a platform they've purchased.

One of the highest budget games released recently was Grand Theft Auto V. That was a multiplatform title whose publisher wasn't simultaneously earning money through console sales. High budget games exist outside of exclusives. You don't need someone like Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo to throw money at a game in order for it to be AAA.

PC doesn't get exclusives because one of the big three threw money at it. PC gets exclusives because the developer decided they didn't want to release it on other platforms. They weren't being encouraged to do so solely to encourage people to go out and buy PCs.

No need to derail this thread any further, let's take it to PM .

As far as I'm concerned I'd prefer if only the technical side of this thread would remain.
For the sake of this thread I'm willing to edit out the posts here, it's not good form but it would avoid someone stumbling here in 2 weeks and derailing it again.

MrV4ltor

well obviously there will be people pirating games no matter what, but when you think about the kind of pc somebody needs to play these games, and by the time they are ready to be played, this won't really effect nintendo at all. lol at people accusing me of pirating something 2-4 years from now, and i don't even own a pc, just thinking about it ;)

Not even going to reply to this properly because it would probably get me banned.

Well pirating is pirating no matter when you do it.

So.. you are assuming that something is not going to have value for a company in the future.. because is old by that time.... thats not how things works... still piracy and is really really bad for the video game industry...

Aeana

Knock it off with the piracy derail. Everybody knows that some people will use emulation with games they haven't purchased. That has been going on since the beginning of emulation. That doesn't diminish the incredible value of emulation for archival and futureproofing purposes.

The fact is that this emulator will not be in a state where people would choose it over real hardware until after the system is dead. And even then, people will still choose the official emulation solution sometime in the future, should it exist. It's not like Virtual Console et al are failing. In the meantime, stop accusing your fellow posters of engaging in illegal activities without proof. Nintendo doesn't need your concern for their profits; they'll manage just fine on their own.

Trace

Banned
If you buy the software and are incapable of ripping your software yourself and pushing other people to do the same, you're basically advocating for piracy.

I fail to see the logic here. If you own the game, you own the game? I see no difference between ripping your own disc with a hacked Wii U and downloading that disc image, assuming you own the disc and a Wii U ofc.

TSM

I fail to see the logic here. If you own the game, you own the game? I see no difference between ripping your own disc with a hacked Wii U and downloading that disc image, assuming you own the disc and a Wii U ofc.

I don't see the point in caring anyway. Nintendo allows external storage. We could potentially just connect our USB storage devices to the PC and run the games downloaded straight off the eshop . We are no longer in a disc only paradigm. This "how will you rip the discs?" discussion is passe.

Mael

Can we take that discussion elsewhere?
I see no need for anyone to be banned over this.

Zomba13

Back on the topic of the actual emulator and not on hypothetical piracy maybe in the distant future when this works well and the Wii U is long dead and no one is able to rip games using it.

I can't wait to see this come along. I just really want to see Fast Racing Neo at a good resolution (and of course 1080p Xenoblade). 3D World, MK8 and Capitan Todd should also look amazing on this, in the future, when it works well.

Emulators still continue to amaze me. Like, it's my computer, pretending to be another thing, and running the games better than that system could ever dream of! You know, eventually.

Plus emulation is a great way to play older games. Yeah, it might not be 100% accurate and even emulating super old systems may still have minor issues, but it's just so good being able to pop in a PS2 game, rip the iso and play it at higher resolutions. My only time through Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii was through Dolphin with the patch the made the framerate 60Hz instead of locked at 50Hz. There were some very minor issues with the audio every couple of hours but it looked and ran great, a lot better than it did on my Wii. Plus a 360 pad is way better for the game than the Classic Controller plugged into a Wiimote.

Komo

Banned

bro, if you're getting butthurt over the possibility of people pirating shit, you probably need to be doing something better with your time

daycru

Isn't the homebrew cover usually people pretending to be excited about the idea of a calculator app working or something? Actually pretty refreshing to have folks just admitting to being excited about stealing the games.

Eylos

Banned
I don't know us law but knowing as the "land of the free" my guess would be there is no crime to discuss the emulator

Top Bottom