• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu, World's First Wii U Emulator, Suddenly Released

I guess I'm wrong, but like I said I didn't know, it just didn't sound right. Honestly, it still doesn't sound right, I'm surprised it's legal to emulate an active product.

Mivey

I guess I'm wrong, but like I said I didn't know, it just didn't sound right. Honestly, it still doesn't sound right, I'm surprised it's legal to emulate an active product.
Rule of law doesn't operate on the basis of what is morally correct or "sounds right" for any individual, but rather what has been decided by lawmakers and by legal practice from the courts themselves.

Can we make the "Emulation always implies piracy"-argument a bannable offense please. It happens on every damn emulation thread, offers absolutely nothing to the discussion and most likely de-rails the it for pages.

Can we make the "Emulation always implies piracy"-argument a bannable offense please. It happens on every damn emulation thread, offers absolutely nothing to the discussion and most likely de-rails the it for pages.

Agreed as well.

this will not hurt the wiiu game sales in anyway. by the time these games are playable the wiiu will be dead, not to mention the kinda rig you need to run the games.

FSLink

Banned
Seconded. If they want to discuss if emulation is piracy they can make their own topic.

DooMAGE

Unfortunately in most cases, emulation implies piracy.

CryptiK

Can't wait til we can get these games going at a higher res with Anti-aliasing. Some of these Nintendo games are going to look baller as fuck. Atm my Wii U is getting 0 use.

Unfortunately in most cases, emulation implies piracy.

This thread isn't for that discussion.

Atolm

In this case, it implies piracy unless you own a Wii U. You have to dump your own bios and rip your own games. Otherwise it's illegal in most countries.

In this case, it implies piracy unless you own a Wii U. You have to dump your own bios and rip your own games. Otherwise it's illegal in most countries.

If you want to go down that road, would you be willing to take a permaban for calling out somewhere who a) owns a Wii U b) has other proof that it is not illegal (in the legislation the user is posting from)?

If you want to go down that road, would you be willing to take a permaban for calling out somewhere who a) owns a Wii U b) has other proof that it is not illegal (in the legislation the user is posting from)?

Not really interested in the whole is ot or is it not piracy discussion (because frankly I do not carr) but why are people so damn eager to see permabans? And yes I recognize derailing is annoying.

Not really interested in the whole is ot or is it not piracy discussion (because frankly I do not carr) but why are people so damn eager to see permabans? And yes I recognize derailing is annoying.

Because continuous shitposting on topics I am interested in really grinds my gears.

If you want to have an discussion on whether or not emulation is illegal, create a new thread.

Uhyve

Can't wait til we can get these games going at a higher res with Anti-aliasing. Some of these Nintendo games are going to look baller as fuck. Atm my Wii U is getting 0 use.
This is literally the only post on this page actually talking about the emulator... and yes, I agree, some Wii U games would look crazy with some downsampling. I'd love to see what Xenoblade X would look like.

Always get excited when I see this topic bumped, it's annoying. I know, I'm now part of the problem.

Agree 100%. Port begging is just a minor annoyance compared to this. Every single damn emulation thread gets derailed by these people.

Because continuous shitposting on topics I am interested in really grinds my gears.

If you want to have an discussion on whether or not emulation is illegal, create a new thread.

I actually just wanted to read about the emulator since I plan to build a PC soon. I also have a WiiU. I just dunno why everyone is so into permabans. So someone says something you dont like once inone thread and you revoke their posting privelages forever? I'm in favor of just letting the mods mod their site.

Anyhow.

In relation to the emulator I am pretty curious to see how a bunch of Nintendos first party games look athugher res with AA. i think the simple clean look of their games would benefit greatly from it.

Seik

Banned

Seeing people getting permabanned isn't the point. All...ALL emulation threads gets polluted and derailed by people assuming we're all pirates. I was ok to explain a couple of times to some people that, even if that's a minority, we are passionate about it and do it the legit ways.

I did a lot of appreciation/emulation threads in my five years on GAF and I can't count how many time I've been explaining that shit, in these threads and other's. I don't want to see people banned, but if a rule could slow down these shit-reactions and derailing, I'd be totally fine with it. Though I think there's already something about that in the FAQ, I'd need to check that out again because it's been a while...

MUnited83

For you.

Because derail after derail after derail in every emulation thread is super annoying.

Seeing people getting permabanned isn't the point. All...ALL emulation threads gets polluted and derailed by people assuming we're all pirates. I was ok to explain a couple of times to some people that, even if that's a minority, we are passionate about it and do it the legit ways.

I did a lot of appreciation/emulation threads in my five years on GAF and I can't count how many time I've been explaining that shit, in these threads and other's. I don't want to see people banned, but if a rule could slow down these shit-reactions and derailing, I'd be totally fine with it. Though I think there's already something about that in the FAQ, I'd need to check that out again because it's been a while...

besides the point, here is what a mod had to say in this same thread.

Knock it off with the piracy derail. Everybody knows that some people will use emulation with games they haven't purchased. That has been going on since the beginning of emulation. That doesn't diminish the incredible value of emulation for archival and futureproofing purposes.

The fact is that this emulator will not be in a state where people would choose it over real hardware until after the system is dead. And even then, people will still choose the official emulation solution sometime in the future, should it exist. It's not like Virtual Console et al are failing. In the meantime, stop accusing your fellow posters of engaging in illegal activities without proof. Nintendo doesn't need your concern for their profits; they'll manage just fine on their own.

100% agree.

I agree with you in that its pretty shit. I just find permaban pretty excessive. This is off topic though so lets leave it alone.

In addition to being annoying, it also chills speech. There's an emulation-related topic (it doesn't really fit in to any of the existing topics) that I'd like to post, but every time I consider posting, I back out because I know how shit it'll devolve in to.

In addition to being annoying, it also chills speech. There's an emulation-related topic (it doesn't really fit in to any of the existing topics) that I'd like to post, but every time I consider posting, I back out because I know how shit it'll devolve in to.

My post was derailing (ironically). I agree these threads devolve into shit shows fast.

hiryu64

Related to this, can we also make piracy witch-hunting bannable? Calling out a user and accusing them of piracy serves no purpose other than to derail and feed the accuser's ego, and contributes nothing constructive to the discussion.

LordOfChaos

Given the similarity to the Wii, and how fluid emulation of that is nowadays, I wonder if this will have a pretty quick turnaround until it becomes playable and fluid.

Then again if you look at the specs gap between the Wii and a PC needed to emulate the Wii, it might take some doin'.

Then again again, there are also working 360 and even PS3 emulators, but then again again again the PS3 one doesn't seem to run games that made much use of it's SPEs and only simple 2.5D games were working I think.

I remember one of the Xbox 360 emulator writers doing an AMA and saying it was easier to do on AMD GPUs and APUs, interesting that the above didn't even test those and is doing it on Nvidia hardware when the Wii U uses an AMD GPU, likely 4000 series.

This is fantastic news, had missed this thread. Shame about all the off topic comments, the only good thing is the posts have bumped it enough to get my attention, lol.

Dunkley

Completely agreed, my biggest gripe is the issue with discussing emulators and how people automatically think it's for piracy.

Or worse, think it's okay to openly admit they are pirating games because there are emulation threads.

It steers all discussion off track and contributes nothing to discussing emulators.

I don't get this kind of thread... If you want to play a Wii U game just buy the hardware.... say no to piracy.

You could have at least tried to pretend like you read the thread but nope, instead you opt to add another emulation = piracy post and move on.

Majukun

curious about what kind of pc is needed to run games...i would like to try bayonetta with a controller that doesn't give me cramps

ZoddGutts

Anyways ignoring the last several shitposters, liking the quick improvement dev process of the emulator. Reminds me of PPSSPP and how fast it became viable to use.

Jesus Christ, can you read?
Of course... I just hate the double moral in this.... Emulation is only good for pirates, i know that some of you maybe have the original copy of the game... but what about everyone else that is going to download the emulator? I am pretty sure is not good for Nintendo or any other hardware manufacturer and that's what matter at the end of the day.

MUnited83

For you.
Of course... I just hate the double moral in this.... Emulation is only good for pirates.

facepalm.gif

Do you understand how incredibly stupid that statement is?
I am pretty sure is not good for Nintendo or any other hardware manufacturer and that's what matter at the end of the day.
Nintendo is a corporation and it doesn't need you to cry for them. Besides the fact that by the time this emulator is in usable condition it won't matter or do any bad to Nintendo. They won't be losing sales from anyone.

Nintendo is a corporation and it doesn't need you to cry for them. Besides the fact that by the time this emulator is in usable condition it won't matter or do any bad to Nintendo. They won't be losing sales from anyone.
Bigfacepalm.gif.... Is their property. They decide what to do with their things...Not you or any emulator maker... If you are not ok with their policy, just skip all their products, and done. Is not about crying for them.. lol. Is about protecting what gamers love.

I don't see how that's fair when we know people are hiding behind the fact there exists a grey area - when we all know what they're actually excited for (and often case encouraging).

Sidebar: I remember the last PS4 "hack" thread being met with a bunch of "aww man, this sucks. Hopefully Sony gets on top of it" posts. While Nintendo emulation threads are openly celebrated and on the front page every week.

Seik

Banned
Bigfacepalm.gif.... Is their property. They decide what to do with their things...Not you or any emulator maker... If you are not ok with their policy, just skip all their products, and done. Is not about crying for them.. lol. Is about protecting what gamers love.

Protecting what gamers love is part of emulation, silly.

When the consoles will get old and unusable, your discs will suffer of disc rot, and all your SNES/NES/GAMEBOY/etc. cartridges save batteries die, you'll be thankful to be able to play your older games on PC. Emulation is part of what will preserve the older games forever and keep them accessible for generations.

And stop saying emulation = piracy like that, not only it is being ignorant and uninformed, it is also pissing off everyone.

artsi

I hope so.

I opened the thread expecting new information and technical breakthroughs, but it's just the same old piracy discussion again.

nkarafo

Is their property. They decide what to do with their things...Not you or any emulator maker...
So, if i want to play my games that i bought in higher resolutions with AA, higher frame rates, custom mod/textures support, save states, etc, i'm hurting them somehow?

:(

MUnited83

For you.

Actually, they don't decide shit. As long as they don't use copyrighted code, any one can do as many Wii U emulators as they want. Their "policy" doesn't matter shit. Also it's fucking hilarious you mention "Is about protecting what gamers love" which is exactly what emulation does.

So, if i want to play my games that i bought in higher resolutions with AA, higher frame rates, custom mod/textures support, save states, etc, i'm hurting them somehow?

Oh, but don't you see, it's against their "policy", and "policy" means that Nintendo has the power to make actual real-life laws!

Vuze

Is about protecting what gamers love.
Our lord and savior! What do you protect though by shitting on emulators?

I, for one, cannot wait for the "First PS4 Emulator surfaced" thread. This one will be the best emu thread yet, calling it now :p

Anyway, i hope cemu keeps on getting better and better, eagerly awaiting every updated version :3

The point is that emulation/CFW threads are not the place to talk piracy arguments. We actually have big PS3 CFW thread titled "PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere".

If you want to talk about the link between CFW/emulation and piracy just make a thread about it, no need derail this thread.

No and a lot of people like you no... but the other people that are going to download the emulator and download a ilegal iso... yes. Because... they have this kind of tools.

Top Bottom