• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu, World's First Wii U Emulator, Suddenly Released

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nobody in the community cares that much, I'd imagine.

You can say it got Vita'd.
Wrong, many many people would like to use Vita for emulators.

No one cares because all the Vita games either get ported to PS4, PC, or both
So i guess that no one cares about the ps4 too because it has even more games that are on vita,pc,ps3 and xb1 right?

I was expecting this kind of replies and despite that i'm still really disappointed that someone cannot say something about vita without people hating, rather than admitting that vita is really secure some people prefer to say that it has no gaemz, no exclusivez etc, it's so so pathetic.

Kouriozan

I assume it's going to take a lot of time before games can be played at an acceptable framerate, once the graphics and sounds will be mostly done, but those progress sure are amazing for a recently released emulator.

I always wonder why companies don't make an official emulator themselves and sell their games on pc after their console has run its course, but before the unavoidable unofficial emulators start to become usable.

Yep, if these companies sold their emulators on steam with the games as cheap dlcs for it, I'd be all over that shit.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

This will of course not be playable for (most likely) a few years yet, but I have to say from a technical point of view, the progress of this emulator is quite impressive. I have to wonder how similar it is to the original Wii? Maybe the Dolphin emu progress is giving them a strong jumping point? Or they are just really doing skilled work.

I've ripped a good number of my DC games and now I mostly only play my Dreamcast stuff on my PC. I also never bother to hook up my ColecoVision or Atari 2600 anymore, the PC is just too convenient. Emulation can be a sweet thing. I can see myself picking up a cheap used Wii-U years from now, and this Cemu could honestly be a selling point for me, LOL.

Pokemaniac

This will of course not be playable for (most likely) a few years yet, but I have to say from a technical point of view, the progress of this emulator is quite impressive. I have to wonder how similar it is to the original Wii? Maybe the Dolphin emu progress is giving them a strong jumping point? Or they are just really doing skilled work.

I've ripped a good number of my DC games and now I mostly only play my Dreamcast stuff on my PC. I also never bother to hook up my ColecoVision or Atari 2600 anymore, the PC is just too convenient. Emulation can be a sweet thing. I can see myself picking up a cheap used Wii-U years from now, and this Cemu could honestly be a selling point for me, LOL.

Aside from the fact that they can't legally use Dolphin code since Cemu is closed source, it actually wouldn't be hugely helpful. The introduction of an actual OS makes the desired approach to writing an emulator significantly different.

As for how things are progressing as fast as they are, I'd guess it has something to do with there being some level of hardware abstraction this time around. While Wii had a weird abstraction layer in the form of IOS, that only really covered I/O type stuff. The actual games still ran on bare metal. For Wii U, there is an actual kernal running on the main CPU. This means that a lot of stuff is now handled outside of the main game process, and doesn't really need to be replicated as exactly as it might have been before. Essentially, more of the system has been hidden away from applications, and that means that the implementation doesn't matter as much as the end result.

You do if you're not a pirate. Normal disc drives can't read those discs, and are unlikely to gain the ability for the foreseeable future.

Wait, so you need a Wii U to be able to read the Wii U discs as PC's can't read them?

Ugh, that kills most of my hype for the emulator.

ArjanN

Wait, so you need a Wii U to be able to read the Wii U discs as PC's can't read them?

Ugh, that kills most of my hype for the emulator.

Honestly in my experience with PS2 / Wii etc emulators even the people who legally own the games often just download a version somewhere because it's easier than dumping their own stuff.

FZZ

Banned
Honestly in my experience with PS2 / Wii etc emulators even the people who legally own the games often just download a version somewhere because it's easier than dumping their own stuff.

Yes but doing this is illegal since they are downloading a copy that is not their game

Wow didnt see OT until now, cool to see xeno x on the list. Bought Xeno CE despite not owning Wii U since am waiting a price drop on the console

Does this mean I can just download the emulator and then put my xeno CE disc in my PC's blu ray drive and it gets the game code off that disc?

Also...how can this possibly be legal? All the OS is proprietary IP for Nintendo no?

Vamphuntr

Wow didnt see OT until now, cool to see xeno x on the list. Bought Xeno CE despite not owning Wii U since am waiting a price drop on the console

Does this mean I can just download the emulator and then put my xeno CE disc in my PC's blu ray drive and it gets the game code off that disc?

Also...how can this possibly be legal? All the OS is proprietary IP for Nintendo no?

You PC disc drive can't read Wii U discs.
Xenoblade X doesn't really run on it yet and it will probably years before it runs it at full speed and without hiccups.
The bios is proprietary, yes.

Yes but doing this is illegal since they are downloading a copy that is not their game

To be fair though, in an age where digital distribution is a legitimate service, what exactly constitutes "my" copy? Unless you're advocating that all games should have a unique CD key, which hey..I can work with that.

And I know the talk is around people downloading images online instead of ripping their own retail copies, but still a fair question though.

Seik

Banned
To be fair though, in an age where digital distribution is a legitimate service, what exactly constitutes "my" copy? Unless you're advocating that all games should have a unique CD key, which hey..I can work with that.

And I know the talk is around people downloading images online instead of ripping their own retail copies, but still a fair question though.

'My copy' is the one I bought at 'x' retailer and that's on my shelf with which I can do anything I want with.

For example, I take my copy of Mario Galaxy and smash it with an hammer.

I can also take it and rip it with my Wii to play it on Dolphin at 4X resolution afterwards, which is a smarter choice. :)

Digital distribution is for those that don't even care and just want to play the game they bought easily, no matter what will happen with their 'license' after that. Whatever floats their boats.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Pikmin 3 in Cemu 1.3.1 WIP:

53pFBdy.jpg

gx2OZG8.jpg

0OiNgoE.jpg

'My copy' is the one I bought at 'x' retailer and that's on my shelf with which I can do anything I want with.

For example, I take my copy of Mario Galaxy and smash it with an hammer.

I can also take it and rip it with my Wii to play it on Dolphin at 4X resolution afterwards, which is a smarter choice. :)

Digital distribution is for those that don't even care and just want to play the game they bought easily, no matter what will happen with their 'license' after that. Whatever floats their boats.

So its legal for me to download rips of games I've bought digitally? Because it's just a license. Guess I'll be buying digitally from now on.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I just watched that Super Mario Maker clip. Let's say games somehow end up getting close to fully playable by the end of this year or next and the emulator gets some media coverage. Is there any legal action Nintendo could/would take to slow down the project? I imagine they won't care about it if this releases after Wii U hardware and software sales have all but disappeared from their financials, but if a news story started going around about Super Mario Maker being fully playable on PC in late 2016 or 2017, I figure they might be quite motivated to take action.

(Maybe I'm misreading the footage and Super Mario Maker has no chance of being playable until 2018 or 2019, but it seems like this emulator has progressed much more quickly than anyone expected.)

I just watched that Super Mario Maker clip. Let's say games somehow end up getting close to fully playable by the end of this year or next and the emulator gets some media coverage. Is there any legal action Nintendo could/would take to slow down the project? I imagine they won't care about it if this releases after Wii U hardware and software sales have all but disappeared from their financials, but if a news story started going around about Super Mario Maker being fully playable on PC in late 2016 or 2017, I figure they might be quite motivated to take action.

(Maybe I'm misreading the footage and Super Mario Maker has no chance of being playable until 2018 or 2019, but it seems like this emulator has progressed much more quickly than anyone expected.)

emulators aren't illegal

GamerJM

Banned

They could take legal action against the websites that illegally host the game's ISO. If by the time this emulator gets fully working there still isn't a way to legally play the games on PC without owning a Wii U and dumping the games using the console then they'd still get the hardware and software sales anyways.

Fdkn

I'm not onto legal stuff, but I remember game boy advance emulators before nintendo ds was out.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

If the emulator isn't using any Nintendo code, theres no problem. Nintendo doesn't own the right to playing Nintendo software. If people can make their own software/emulator that plays the games, that's outside of Nintendo's control.

If the emulator isn't using any Nintendo code, theres no problem. Nintendo doesn't own the right to playing Nintendo software. If people can make their own software/emulator that plays the games, that's outside of Nintendo's control.

This.....doesn't sound right to me. I don't think this is right, but I also don't have a deep enough understanding of the software licenses on these games and hardware to dispute it fully.

But I'm pretty certain this is not right. I think Nintendo legally holds exclusive rights for hardware that plays Wii U software. Otherwise any other manufacturer could make a Wii U clone that plays Wii U games just because it "doesn't use Nintendo's code".

I think the legality of emulating defunct hardware is different than a current market product.

PGamer

fucking juniors
This.....doesn't sound right to me. I don't think this is right, but I also don't have a deep enough understanding of the software licenses on these games and hardware to dispute it fully.

But I'm pretty certain this is not right. I think Nintendo legally holds exclusive rights for hardware that plays Wii U software. Otherwise any other manufacturer could make a Wii U clone that plays Wii U games just because it "doesn't use Nintendo's code".

I think the legality of emulating defunct hardware is different than a current market product.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console_emulator#Legal_issues

Cloning hardware =/= reverse engineering hardware functionality and re-implementing it in software.

But I'm pretty certain this is not right. I think Nintendo legally holds exclusive rights for hardware that plays Wii U software. Otherwise any other manufacturer could make a Wii U clone that plays Wii I games just because it "doesn't use Nintendo's code".

This seems to pop up every few pages. Emulation itself is not illegal. The hardware design can be patented, the emulation of software can be protected, but a hobbyist developer using his own code 100% to interpret software is protected by law.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...:neogaf.com+emulators+legal&safe=off&start=10

Sciz

I'm not onto legal stuff, but I remember game boy advance emulators before nintendo ds was out.

There were Game Boy Advance emulators before the Game Boy Advance was out. This stuff's been through the courts, nothing the companies can do about it.

androvsky

Bleem was a commercial PS1 emulator that ran on PC before the PS2 came out. Sony sued the makers and lost. There was even a Dreamcast version, so you could emulate some PS1 games on a Dreamcast, again, before the PS2 launched.

But I'm pretty certain this is not right. I think Nintendo legally holds exclusive rights for hardware that plays Wii U software.

"Exclusive rights for hardware that plays Wii U software" isn't a thing that exists. No form of IP law recognizes the concept of ownership of the means of reproducing or experiencing creative works, except inasmuch as they use patented technology or protected trade secrets to do so. When a company releases something like a console and then software that runs on it, they can certainly choose to discourage others from duplicating that functionality in areas where they do have legal influence (retailer agreements, licensing fees, trade-secret protection of the unlock system, etc.) but there's nothing fundamental they can do either about people creating unlicensed software or about people creating clone hardware.

Top Bottom