• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn...I'm starting to regret getting the ticket now. I tried to get one to the theater closest to where I'm staying but it sold out quickly. I figured I'd be good, I mean what's 20 miles? Apparently 3 hours of my time is what it is.

Anyone else got a ticket to the lakeline showing of the Trilogy? What about slaughter lane?

never mind. at almost 9 hours and an early start for training the next day it's not worth it. Got my money back. :(

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm in for the pinball BYOB something something. It's almost close enough for me to walk.

I'm not exactly keen to the idea of publicly owning my post history. I had a couple of stressful years recently, and sometimes GAF has been a place to vent. Also beer probably helps with this.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm in for the pinball BYOB something something. It's almost close enough for me to walk.

I'm not exactly keen to the idea of publicly owning my post history. I had a couple of stressful years recently, and sometimes GAF has been a place to vent. Also beer probably helps with this.

Shoot, I have a way more embarassing posting history than yours and would still love to go to a meetup. The worst thay can happen is that it gets awkward or boring and you leave lol

Its a group of internet message board posters meeting up, not a blind marriage date that your cousin set up.

teh_pwn

Shoot, I have a way more embarassing posting history than yours and would still love to go to a meetup. The worst thay can happen is that it gets awkward or boring and you leave lol

Its a group of internet message board posters meeting up, not a blind marriage date that your cousin set up.

Ha, yeah. I'm secretly concerned I have a gaf nemesis that's a real life coworker.

teh_pwn

You could always walk in and walk right back out if you don't like what you see :p

grandpasimpson.gif

Also, seems it allows 1 drink per person. I wouldn't have guessed that. I guess redneck sized beer from gas station prior to meetup is in order.

Meier

Anyone else got a ticket to the lakeline showing of the Trilogy? What about slaughter lane?

never mind. at almost 9 hours and an early start for training the next day it's not worth it. Got my money back. :(

Sorry man! Probably a good idea in this scenario.

Pinballz is a hike from South Austin but it's a very cool place. I'm definitely interested in meeting y'all!

teh_pwn

They have a virtual tour on their website. It's way more than I expected. I don't think I've been to an arcade 1/3 that size even int he 1990s.

grandpasimpson.gif

Also, seems it allows 1 drink per person. I wouldn't have guessed that. I guess redneck sized beer from gas station prior to meetup is in order.

most people just leave a cooler in the vehicle. You can only have 1 on you but there's no limit to how many you can have throughout or anything. The place is pretty big and as almost any pinball you can think of. It's a great place.

I think Gaffers are probably, on the whole, more socially integrated than most other forum communities. I don't think it'd be that much of a problem.

It would be awkward meeting people in person after venting so much shit on the forums though.
01laugh.gif

I'm definitely down for Pinballz or any meet up next month.

Roll call: Who all here lives north, who lives central, and who lives south?

DaRabidDuckie

I had a few PMs from Austinites. Apologies for that, apparently I had GAF set up wrong to inform me about PMs. I've answered them all!

Me, I live in South Austin, off of Stassney.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I am going the first weekend. Music fests in town is one of the reasons we moved here! Got our FFFF tix as well.

I have a first weekend pass too. But I also have an extra wristband.

My options are to

- Try and sell it (I would have to associate it with their name somehow though)
- Give it away
- Find someone to go with, at least through the front gate

If I went I probably would not be able to afford a new console this year, but meh, nothing I really NEED comes out until next year anyway (Titanfall, MGSV)

btw have you guys seen Anthony Bourdain's Austin episode? Kinda cool. I ate at that Quality Seafood place when I visited there, had no idea it was famous.

Sounding off: central/north central (around Hyde Park).

He was supposed to come to my buddy's place, Three Little Pigs, during SXSW on a Sunday. 3LP is usually closed on Sunday, so they opened, and a lot of people showed up--apparently too many, as they didn't want to attend a "larger" event.

I hope they get another chance--Three Little Pigs is SPECTACULAR, highly recommend it to all Austinites.

DaRabidDuckie

Yep. Definitely visiting La Mexicana Bakery this week. Been jonesing for some churros pretty hard since moving to Austin. Screamed for joy when I saw them in that Bourdain video.

teh_pwn

I'll stop by, have a couple of beers, have philosophical debates about the merits of sharp knees and media create weekly sales, and probably try out a new camera on all of the nostalgic arcades. Oh, and just like gaf I *might* play some games eventually.

lol, why present Fantastic Arcade without mentioning the whole effing film festival that it is attached to? :p

Anyway, there has been a tradition of folks meeting at Pinballz before the fest. I will post info as I get it.

kidko

lol, why present Fantastic Arcade without mentioning the whole effing film festival that it is attached to? :p

Anyway, there has been a tradition of folks meeting at Pinballz before the fest. I will post info as I get it.

Oh yeah well there's that, I guess. If you watch movies and stuff. :>

Zoe

I really want to go to Fantastic Fest one of these years, but I can't bring myself to pay that much.

Meier

Guys, reminder.

We are set to meet at pinballz on Friday September 6th around 8pm. I'll be there, I believe Exit will too. Please let us know if you can stop by. I'll have a mod update thread title.

I am tentatively scheduled to fly to Chicago for a wedding that weekend but I'm waiting for flights to come down to something resembling affordability. If I am still in town, I will be there for sure with my wife. :)

This is us:

I get off work at 9 tomorrow night (wasn't able to get the day off), so I'll probably be late. That's if I get out on time, since I do work in a kitchen and kitchen out times are rather dynamic.

pirata

Wish I could come, but I can't drive, and I don't think the buses run that far north. Maybe next time we could do it closer to downtown? :)

Zoe

Wish I could come, but I can't drive, and I don't think the buses run that far north. Maybe next time we could do it closer to downtown? :)
Buses definitely go even farther north than that. It's pretty close to the Lamar station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom