• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CERN clocks faster-than-light neutrinos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzy

Banned
Smellycat said:
No, no and no. Time travel is simply not possible and it doesn't make sense. As Chinner said, if time travel is possible then it should have happened by now. Ex: hitler would have stopped, 9/11 would have been prevented, etc...
That's not how it works...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Fenderputty said:
I'm only aware of a "bill & ted" time machine phone booth. Maybe I'm showing my age?

Bill & Ted are actually referencing Doctor Who; a popular British television show, which depicts a 'time lord' traveling through space and time in a ship disguised as a police box.

edit: Doctor Who is actually pretty old. Haha.

Smellycat

Dizzy said:
That's not how it works...

LOL....because we know how time travel works, right???? You and I simply don't know what we are talking. Every conversation about time travel is based on pure conjecture.

Smithy C

I texted my friend, a physics student, to ask if this is going to kill us. He hasn't replied. Has the particle already killed him using speed?

marrec

Banned
Fenderputty said:
+1 for Bill & Ted reference.

Somewhere, some frazzled British sounding 900 year old alien is slightly offended.

I'll subscribe to the "The more entrenched the theory is, the more evidence it takes to overturn it."

Dizzy

Banned
Smellycat said:
LOL....because we know how time travel works, right???? You and I simply don't know what we are talking. Every conversation about time travel is based on pure conjecture.
Well there are educated guess at what could/could not be possible, but even outside of that if time travel was discovered next week I don't think anybody would be allowed to go back and interfere with historic events. Ever.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
another science paradigm will shift. bleh. That's why I don't care about science other than its practical use.

MLH

So, I'm curious to know how does one record something that is travelling faster than the speed of light? It's probably very simple but I still wish to know.

SRG01

Nobody answered my question... was this phase velocity or group velocity? Group velocity is more significant.

MLH said:
So, I'm curious to know how does one record something that is travelling faster than the speed of light? It's probably very simple but I still wish to know.

They measure how long it takes to get to one point from another, this neutrino got from point to point 60 nanoseconds quicker than it would take light

subversus said:
another science paradigm will shift. bleh. That's why I don't care about science other than its practical use.

I fail to see how you could not care, doesn't this sort of discovery fascinate you and bring you great thought?

Orayn

subversus said:
You do know that fundamental understanding of scientific concepts is REALLY FUCKING IMPORTANT to finding new applications, right?

MLH

Shorty11857 said:
They measure how long it takes to get to one point from another, this neutrino got from point to point 60 nanoseconds quicker than it would take light

Heh, I guess it was that simple thanks. I always assumed quantum physics was different enough from regular physics that using a 'light gate' type experiment wouldn't work on a quantum level.

Kermit The Frog said:
Isn't Cherenkov radiation caused by faster than light particles?

Sort of. It's charged particles traveling faster than light in a medium, not a vacuum. The "law" of the speed of light states that nothing can go faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

Edit: And I see that I was beaten, badly.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
DOBERMAN INC said:
I fail to see how you could not care, doesn't this sort of discovery fascinate you and bring you great thought?

I don't like science paradigms.

Read this guy's books - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Kuhn

Basically people made science into the truth of the day, which pretends to be an absolute truth. There should always be a doubt, but you won't write papers and get scientific grants if you doubt your own research.

Orayn said:
You do know that fundamental understanding of scientific concepts is REALLY FUCKING IMPORTANT to finding new applications, right?

yes, I know. That's why I care about these applications only and don't care about bullshit which will change anyway.

Dragon

Banned
Smellycat said:

Well one is arguing how something COULD work, and you're arguing how it could NOT work. So someone speculates you knock it down and then say we don't know. What kind of logic is that?

Orayn

subversus said:

Basically people made science into the truth of the day, which pretends to be an absolute truth. There should always be a doubt, but you won't write papers and get scientific grants if you doubt your own research.

yes, I know. That's why I care about these applications only and don't care about bullshit which will change anyway.
I don't get it. Even a paradigm that's later abandoned can be the basis for useful discoveries. Most applications absolutely do rely on the bullshit of the day - People aren't just coming up with stuff ex nihilo.

subversus said:

"One experiment can prove me wrong" is not what I would call pretending to be an absolute truth.

DoctorWho said:
woot_tardis_delorean.jpg

I have this shirt. :)

Fugu

Smellycat said:
This reasoning is flawed because your argument is certifiably incorrect given the information you have: Your argument assumes that a time traveler would want to drastically alter the events of the universe as you would expect them to. It also assumes that they haven't done so already. Therefore, your argument does not really refute the argument that time travel is possible; rather, it refutes the argument that time travelers have stopped 9/11, an argument nobody is making.

e_i

Smellycat said:
No, no and no. Time travel is simply not possible and it doesn't make sense. As Chinner said, if time travel is possible then it should have happened by now. Ex: hitler would have stopped, 9/11 would have been prevented, etc...

Or maybe, just maybe...IT HAS ALREADY HAPPENED. What if atheist scientists went back in time planted fossils that look like humans, so that they can add proof to evolution???

:O

I think the current idea about time travel is that if you went back in time and changed something, a parallel time line would be created with the changes and the time line that we're in wouldn't be affected.

braves01

Banned
subversus said:

Thomas Kuhn is a really interesting guy. Here's the first in a series of articles about him written by a grad student of his that I came across earlier this year.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/the-ashtray-the-ultimatum-part-1/

Vagabundo

Lol where are those posters that kept telling me that nothing would ever travell faster than light?

Who's laughing now huh?HUH?
Bawhahahahahahahaha

I'm sure I'll be eating those words when this turns out to be fake or something

Vagabundo said:
Lol where are those posters that kept telling me that nothing would ever travell faster than light?

Who's laughing now huh?HUH?
Bawhahahahahahahaha

I'm sure I'll be eating those words when this turns out to be fake or something

Considering the sources, it definitely isn't fake. It just needs to be verified by different sources over the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom