• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES 2012 |OT| - Tablets and TVs and Tech...Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

Master Stream List (go here if it's not listed or working below)

LG Conference Stream
t1326124800z4.png

FujiFilm Conference Live Blog (no stream I can find yet)
t1326139200z4.png

Samsung Conference Stream
t1326146400z1.png

Nokia Conference Live Blog (no stream I can find yet)
t1326150000z4.png

Panasonic Conference Stream
t1326150000z4.png

Sony Conference Stream
t1326157200z4.png

MS Conference Stream
t1326162600z4.png

All times listed below are PST!

ScreenShot2012-01-04at82509PM.png
ScreenShot2012-01-04at82519PM.png
ScreenShot2012-01-04at82530PM.png
ScreenShot2012-01-04at82541PM.png

Note: Blog site order is in no way indicative of importance. Just more aesthetically pleasing to have them in descending order based on height.

TV Showings:

Spike TV:

Tuesday, January 10th:

"CES All Access Live" - 4, 1 hour blocks

Starts @ 1PM E/10AM P; Ends @ 5PM/2PM P

G4TV:

Tuesday, January 10th:

"Attack of the Show (CES, Day 1)" - 1, 1 hour block

Starts @ 7PM E; Ends @ 8PM E
[Sorry no clue on PST, most likely tape delay and you get it @7PM PST]

Wednesday, January 11th:

"Attack of the Show (CES, Day 2)" - 1, 1 hour block

Starts @ 7PM E; Ends @ 8PM E
[Sorry no clue on PST, most likely tape delay and you get it @7PM PST]

IT'S CES TIME, BABY!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Lovin' it. Lets see some new tech!

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Always a fun time of year, and hopefully companies got most of the "clearly you all want 3D, look how awesome 3D is" out of their system last year. One can hope.

slider

Given all the negativity surrounding poor ol' Sony I'm interested to see what their TV offerings are. All that talk about "reinventing" (or whatever it was) sounds too high concept to succeed IMO.

I'm at the bloody Shot Show; would've much preferred to go to CES.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Doesn't seem all that exciting this year. Ooh, look. Tablets, tv's and phones. Hopefully something cool is announced.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I want a 55 inch, OLED, 4K res, glassless 3DTV, with Android ICS built in. And to control it from my android phone/tablet. Too much to ask?

I am also looking forward to seeing some new android tablets and the new superphones.

Excitement ++++

def sim

Already own a plasma so I'm looking forward to the 2012 IPS sets from Panasonic. If anything else, the inevitable tv price drops might make the DT30 a bit more bearable of a purchase. I'd love to have a smaller 3d tv for whatevs.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
I've never been, but I think I'm going to shoot a bunch of hands on demos for some random magazine this year. How many demonstrations do you think I could get in a day? Is it super crowded?

reKon

Banned
what battery life do ultra books get now a days? does it top my laptops high of 8 hours on beastmode?

Recon

Banned
Im honestly wondering what the point of 4k TV's are? Isnt there a point where that high of resolution on home sets is just not noticeable?

Raistlin

Im honestly wondering what the point of 4k TV's are? Isnt there a point where that high of resolution on home sets is just not noticeable?
It certainly ain't at 1080p - especially as the average TV size increases.

Prior to the release of the iPhone 4, people were questioning the rationale in going to such a high PPI ... is anyone complaining about it being unnecessary now? The reality is 1080p TV's aren't anywhere near that sort of PPI.

Recon

Banned
It certainly ain't at 1080p - especially as the average TV size increases.

Prior to the release of the iPhone 4, people were questioning the rationale in going to such a high PPI ... is anyone complaining about it being unnecessary now? The reality is 1080p TV's aren't anywhere near that sort of PPI.

I honestly didnt know, it was a sincere question. All I remember is those charts that show that someone cannot even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at a certain distance. I understand that resolution for PC monitors, that shit is right in your face, I just didnt know about TVs.

Raistlin

I honestly didnt know, it was a sincere question. All I remember is those charts that show that someone cannot even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at a certain distance. I understand that resolution for PC monitors, that shit is right in your face, I just didnt know about TVs.
I was giving a sincere response. :) There's some issues with those charts ... but even following them, there's room to go beyond 1080p on either larger sets or closer viewing distances.

The thing to remember is you don't need to fully resolve every pixel for it to be beneficial. It's a sliding scale ... and as long as you can resolve beyond the lower resolution, it's an improved experience. As a matter of fact, the goal really shouldn't be to resolve ever pixel ... you should be a little below that. Otherwise aliasing and artifacts are obvious.

Recon

Banned
I was giving a sincere response. :) There's some issues with those charts ... but even following them, there's room to go beyond 1080p on either larger sets or closer viewing distances.

The thing to remember is you don't need to fully resolve every pixel for it to be beneficial. It's a sliding scale ... and as long as you can resolve beyond the lower resolution, it's an improved experience. As a matter of fact, the goal really shouldn't be to resolve ever pixel ... you should be a little below that. Otherwise aliasing and artifacts are obvious.

Ah ok. Im about to buy a new set, but by the time these are affordable, I think Ill be ready for another TV.

Azar

I'll be at the show this year. Hoping to get my hands on the ePawn Arena to see what kind of potential is really has as a virtual platform for board games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom