• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chaos Reborn - Julian Gollop's new game - Kickstarter campaign launching in February

guit3457

Saw this because Ken Levine RT a Jullian Gollop message on Twitter. We knew Jullian Gollop was working in a new game. He has just announced the name and the project:

"Chaos Reborn is a new strategy game by Julian Gollop, designer of the original, award winning 'X-COM: UFO Defense', one of the most highly rated PC games of all time. It will be available for Windows, Linux and Mac."

"Welcome to the new Chaos Reborn website. Here, you will be able to follow the latest game development news and participate in discussions on our forums. 2014 will be a very important year for Chaos Reborn because we will be launching our Kickstarter campaign and then stepping up a few gears on development to get the game to you as soon as we can. We already have a working, multiplayer prototype with 33 spells implemented. The team based 2 vs 2 mode is really excellent, and we have had many epic battles with it. But there is a lot more to come. I am particularly excited by the 'Realms of Chaos' single-player mode, because it will add a whole new dimension to the Chaos Reborn experience. Who would have thought a modest little ZX Spectrum game made 30 years ago would be brought to life again in such a dramatic way? I hope you will share our journey to see it to fruition.

Julian Gollop"

"Chaos Reborn features 80 spells, 24 of which are creature summoning spells, such as the stubborn Dwarf or the Chaotic Manticore. Look out for creature features coming soon."

65682e0bfe1d519d5d6afbf9b0c78a27_large.jpg

c731cf803217a855b2ff2e7cef313bb7_large.jpg

I will update as soon as they launch their Kickstarter campaign in February.

UPDATE: The Kickstarter campaign has been launched:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1206403106/chaos-reborn-from-the-creator-of-the-original-x-co

FACE

Banned
Please use US Kickstarter, please use US Kickstarter, please use US Kickstarter, please use US Kickstarter....

BibiMaghoo

There is a knockoff version of the original Chaos on the android store, if anyone wants to see what it used to look and play like back in the day. In fairness it is free, and does credit him.

mclem

Chaos is a genuinely phenomenal game, a superb balance of strategy and simplicity and - I'd argue - a long way ahead of its time (it's from 1985!). I felt LoC tended to be a little overcomplicated, though. Very interested to see how this pans out.

Gazunta

Rebelstar Tactical Command is the secret best GBA game, I'm dead serious.

And this Kickstarter will get all my Earthly monies COME ON ALREADY.

Backing this.

Didn't play the original on the speccy, but Xcom : Ufo Defence/Enemy Unknown is the greatest pc game ever, and ghost recon shadow wars shows that Gollop hasn't really lost a step in the last 20 years

mclem

Not sure how well that RPG mode will stand up - seems a bit overcomplicated - but backing anyway; Chaos has earned my money several times over, and I've never (directly!) paid for it (Yay for magazine covermount cassettes!).

NoPiece

Backing this.

Didn't play the original on the speccy, but Xcom : Ufo Defence/Enemy Unknown is the greatest pc game ever, and ghost recon shadow wars shows that Gollop hasn't really lost a step in the last 20 years

If anyone deserves a kickstart, it is Gollop. I'm definitely in on this.

Mindlog

Subscribed.
Need to help spread the word on this one. I know a lot of people big on strategy games that haven't heard about this yet,

Uthred

Looks interesting, I wonder how the higher tier rewards, which seem to offer tangible in-game benefits will interact with the PvP system

Has Levine always been that skinny?

Never played the original XCOM and I'm not personally a fan of the setting, but I see the potential for cool.

epmode

Looks interesting, I wonder how the higher tier rewards, which seem to offer tangible in-game benefits will interact with the PvP system

I was worried about this too! But then I read some more and found that those rewards are attainable in-game if your record is good enough.

Acosta

Will back tomorrow for sure. Hope to see it fully backed for then.

Gollop is a legend, his strategy games has been fantastic even after XCOM and he deserves all the support.

Uthred

I was worried about this too! But then I read some more and found that those rewards are attainable in-game if your record is good enough.

Ah thats good to know, a headstart and unique cosmetics are cool, a permanent advantage would have been iffy.

Mindlog

Creator Julian Gollop about 1 hour ago

@ Mark Bracke - There were 64 spells in the original Chaos

@ Tessa Lowe - There is an in-game chat window already working in the prototype. It's quite important for team based games.

@ Aion Legend - Realms are closed after a certain number of players have completed it, or after a time period has elapse. On average your Wizard Lord should be occupied in a realm for 2-4 days, on average.

@ Pedro Timóteo - we are preparing a project update as I type this - it should be available in a couple of hours.

@ Gomisan - hello, yes I remember you from the LSN days. Great to hear from you.
Project update coming soon. The Gollop account has been really active. So far so good as far as funding goes.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This should have blown it's funding goals out of the water in hours. PC Gamers are being embarrassing again.

robin2

This should have blown it's funding goals out of the water in hours. PC Gamers are being embarrassing again.
The whole thing received little coverage though, or I'm wrong?
(For example on here too: usually a new topic is made when a kickstarter goes live, but we not for this one).

This is Gollop's "Curse" too, he will always be an underdog fame-wise, despite his outstanding gameography.

Mindlog

It has unfortunately lost a little pace, but I'm still hopeful goals we be met and exceeded.

A new topic wouldn't be a bad idea either. Some stretch goals were anounced including possible ios/android support.

Mindlog

Shameless double bump.

A prototype video was released the day before yesterday. Just a heads up for those that may have missed it.

Youtube

These are very early graphics with placeholder nostalgia audio.

epmode

Unfortunately, XCOM is the name people know. While I really like the remake, I miss simulation aspects from the original and I'd love to see Gollop return to the series. Or a spiritual successor or whatever.

I STILL BACKED CHAOS REBORN THO

Top Bottom