• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Burton, Depp) teaser poste released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Found here originally:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/wonka.php

charlie.jpg

While I really don't like Butron, I admire his style. This has the potential to be the most fucked-up things ever captured on film.

Tortfeasor

I have an inside souce on the film who told me a few things:

1. The Umpa Loompas are very scary/disturbing looking
2. The movie incorporates elements from Charlie & The Great Glass Elevator
3. The story as a whole is very true to the original material and as such is much more dark (
One of the kids is attacked and taken away by a mob of angry squirrels
)

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Tortfeasor said:

1. The Umpa Loompas are very scary/disturbing looking
3. The story as a whole is very true to the original material and as such is much more dark (
One of the kids is attacked and taken away by a mob of angry squirrels
)
Awesome. A CatCF movie with Depp, Burton, scary Umpas and more darkness is going to rock.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
YES.

Big Fish kinda sorta made me forget about Planet Of The Apes, but this could knock that debacle out of my memory completely.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Someone needs to make some desktops fast.

Jim Bowie

This is the second film Tim Burton has made with the sole intention of scaring children. I can't wait, but damn, I will be scared right along with the kids.

EDIT: Aoi, the two main characters are Wonka and Charlie... OH NOES!

teiresias

You can count on Burton to keep alive the 80's tradition of children's films that creep you out and scare you to death.

Prospero

Tortfeasor said:

I hope it has the Vermicious Knids. Those things scared me so much that I was afraid to even look at the picture of them in the book.

SickBoy

First thing I thought was "A Clockwork Chocolate Factory."

As for the original, I thought it was good, but I'm not sure I'm as fond of it as a lot of the people who seem worried their childhoods will have never existed if this new one isn't pure perfection. Gene Wilder most definitely is not the one ideal Willy Wonka to me...

Matlock

Banned
Prospero said:
I hope it has the Vermicious Knids. Those things scared me so much that I was afraid to even look at the picture of them in the book.

"But if they're so fierce and dangerous," Charlie said, "why didn't they eat us up right away in the Space Hotel? Why did they waste time twisting their bodies into letters and writing SCRAM?"

"Because they're show–offs," Mr. Wonka replied. "They're tremendously proud of being able to write like that."

"But why say scram when they wanted to catch us and eat us?"

"It's the only word they know," Mr. Wonka said.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I would love to see this be the first good and memorable Tim Burton film since Ed Wood. I'll wait and see though.

Jim Bowie said:
hahaa, the first thing I thought when I saw this was, Manabanana is probably going to draw this.

Man, maybe they stole my design...Seriously. Well, I'm working on the desktop right now. It's the poster, I'm just expanding the sky.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Matlock said:
"But if they're so fierce and dangerous," Charlie said, "why didn't they eat us up right away in the Space Hotel? Why did they waste time twisting their bodies into letters and writing SCRAM?"

"Because they're show–offs," Mr. Wonka replied. "They're tremendously proud of being able to write like that."

"But why say scram when they wanted to catch us and eat us?"

"It's the only word they know," Mr. Wonka said.
Haha, awesome.

teiresias

Hmmm, what can the spirals in the clouds mean?? I think everyone in the factory is really dead and they're in a kind of purgatory.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This film looks awesome, I enjoyed the original and had read the book, so it'll be good to see what another vision of it will be - something that is more faithful to the book in Tim Burton's old warped style :D

Honestly, I must say I'm not liking the look. It makes Wonka look much more sinister and dark than maybe he should. The subject matter was always something dark, especially in the booka, but I never really felt that the main characters, especially Wonka and Charlie, to be like that. Maybe this just comes from my impressions of the ending as opposed to how Wonka is percieved throughout the book. Meh whatever, it works for Burton's film, I can tell. But I'm more interested in seeing how the story pans out.

AniHawk

Oh hell yes.

One thing I hope stays is Gene Wilder's crazy tirade in the tunnel of psychadellic madness.

There's no earthly way of knowing / Which direction we are going / There's no knowing where we're rowing / Or which way the river's flowing / Is it raining? / Is it snowing? / Is a hurricane a-blowing? / Not a speck of light is showing / So the danger must be growing / Are the fires of hell a-glowing? / Is the grisly reaper mowing? / Yes, the danger must be growing / 'Cause the rowers keep on rowing / And they're certainly not showing / Any signs that they are slowing.

After Big Fish, there's no doubt in my mind that Burton can do family movies damn well.

Tritroid

Tortfeasor said:

Ugh, I hope they keep those elements to a bare minimum.

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator was just utter crap compared to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory; It broke any and all kinds of boundaries that the original set.

Mr. Wonka and Charlie blasting through space? Meeting aliens? I really don't understand where Dahl was going with this one. I stopped reading after the 6th chapter.

xsarien

daedsiluap
DarthWufei said:
Honestly, I must say I'm not liking the look. It makes Wonka look much more sinister and dark than maybe he should. The subject matter was always something dark, especially in the booka, but I never really felt that the main characters, especially Wonka and Charlie, to be like that. Maybe this just comes from my impressions of the ending as opposed to how Wonka is percieved throughout the book. Meh whatever, it works for Burton's film, I can tell. But I'm more interested in seeing how the story pans out.

After Sleepy Hollow, I'm all for letting Burton re-interpret/re-imagine anything he damn well pleases. If he wants to give Charlie an "edge," you can trust him to do it without turning the character into a serial killer.

Dan

xsarien said:
After Planet of the Apes, I'm all for not letting Burton re-interpret/re-imagine anything he damn well pleases.
;)

It goes both ways.

Iceman

"Mr. Wonka and Charlie blasting through space? Meeting aliens? I really don't understand where Dahl was going with this one. I stopped reading after the 6th chapter."

You think Dahl pulled a Matrix trilogy?

The Great Glass Elevator was so imaginative IIRC (it's been decades) I loved it as a complement to The Chocolate Factory (my favorite book as a child.)

3phemeral

Jim Bowie said:
hahaa, the first thing I thought when I saw this was, Manabanana is probably going to draw this.

I thought the same thing :lol

aoi tsuki said:
Looks like the top of the cane.

I don't think it's the top of the cane. Even in those other set-shots, depp looks pretty pale, frail, and thin. They probably are his fingers. The top of his cane just looks like a ball with a black and white swirl design in it.

Dan

xsarien said:
I blame the screenplay for that one.
And yet Burton gets credit for Sleepy Hollow? I don't want to turn this into a dissection of Burton's work (or do I?), but there's some inexplicable trend where he gets credit for everything good that has his name even remotely attached and everything bad is blamed on others that worked on the projects. I mean, just look at all the people who actually think he deserves any worthwhile credit for Nightmare Before Christmas when in truth he was on the set for less than 10 days and on a completely different continent for the vast majority of its production.

If the screenplay for Planet of the Apes can be blamed for its failure, why isn't the success of Sleepy Hollow also attributed to its screenplay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom