• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ChatGPT banned in italy

nikolino840

After banning the chatbot "REPLIKA" now italy block chatgpt

From the Guarantor for the protection of personal data comes the stop to ChatGPT "until it respects the privacy discipline". US software is the world leader in simulating human conversations by artificial intelligence.

The Privacy Guarantor has ordered, with immediate effect, the temporary limitation of the processing of Italian users' data against OpenAI, the US company that developed and manages the ChatGPT platform. At the same time, the Authority opened an investigation.

What is Chat GPT and the accusations of the Guarantor​

ChatGPT, the best known among the relational artificial intelligence software capable of simulating and processing human conversations, on March 20 had suffered a data breach concerning user conversations and payment information for subscribers to the paid service. In the provision, the Privacy Guarantor notes "the lack of information to users and all interested parties whose data are collected by OpenAI, but above all the absence of a legal basis that justifies the collection and massive storage of personal data, in order to 'train' the algorithms underlying the operation of the platform".

Read also - Artificial intelligence: ChatGPT in Italy, data on its use

As evidenced by the checks carried out, explains the Guarantor, "the information provided by ChatGPT does not always correspond to the real data, thus determining an inaccurate processing of personal data". Not only that: although, according to the terms published by OpenAI, the service is aimed at people over 13, the Authority highlights how "the absence of any filter for verifying the age of users exposes minors to answers absolutely inappropriate with respect to their degree of development and self-awareness".

Possible sanctions​

OpenAI, which does not have an office in the European Union, but has designated a representative in the European Economic Area, must communicate within 20 days the measures taken in implementation of the request of the Guarantor, "under penalty of a penalty of up to 20 million euros or up to 4% of annual global turnover".

Quasicat

I wish this would be banned here, not for the privacy issues, but because I’ve already had students using to write their essays in class. I caught two of them because the writing style was very different from what they have done in the past. The problem is, I’ve had several students tell me that it’s a huge problem and the students I’ve caught are just a drop in the bucket compared to the total number.

mxbison

Rest of the world should follow suit.
The consequences of an AI knowing everything for us is astoundingly awful

It's not an AI, just good at browsing databases and giving results.

The only way it knows everything is by getting access to data from Meta, Google, etc. who collect and hoard every piece of information on you they can get. Those are the real issue here.

Last edited:

Sakura

The stuff about the data breach is true as far as I am aware, to be fair.
People were even seeing chatlogs from other users.
And I don't recall OpenAI saying anything about it.

I wish this would be banned here, not for the privacy issues, but because I’ve already had students using to write their essays in class. I caught two of them because the writing style was very different from what they have done in the past. The problem is, I’ve had several students tell me that it’s a huge problem and the students I’ve caught are just a drop in the bucket compared to the total number.
If I was still a student I would be doing the same thing.
Besides they would just use a VPN any way.

SJRB

Gold Member
Italy:

AlienatedSoulfulGnu-size_restricted.gif

Nothing stops this train, Italy. You've mama'd your last mia.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
ChatGPT is just another tool in the information warfare that we're all susceptible to these days. Full of bias (which isn't entirely surprising considering where its been developed) and other straight up misleading answers. Ultimately I can only see it doing more harm than good.

Quasicat

The stuff about the data breach is true as far as I am aware, to be fair.
People were even seeing chatlogs from other users.
And I don't recall OpenAI saying anything about it.

If I was still a student I would be doing the same thing.
Besides they would just use a VPN any way.
Realistically, I would have done the same thing in middle school. Unfortunately, I’m on the opposite side of the issue now where I have to enforce the rampant cheating that goes on.

I know cheating has always been a thing, but technology makes it so much easier and tempting for those that wouldn’t do it otherwise.

Cyberpunkd

Easy fix: bring back or increase the frequency of oral examination.

Lasha

The only way it knows everything is by getting access to data from Meta, Google, etc. who collect and hoard every piece of information on you they can get. Those are the real issue here.

The big tech companies already have their own AI which are more advanced looking at user data. We fucked either way.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
100% agree.

If people want to goof around with AI go ahead, but when students are using it to do projects it doesn't make sense. My bro's kids use it in class as everyone has a laptop on their desk. The teachers and school rules dont seem to care if people use it.

My niece said her friend admitted to using it for an essay or something and got like a 95% mark on it.

Griffon

Fuck yeah, no more homework in our glorious AI-powered future.

nikolino840

100% agree.

If people want to goof around with AI go ahead, but when students are using it to do projects it doesn't make sense. My bro's kids use it in class as everyone has a laptop on their desk. The teachers and school rules dont seem to care if people use it.

My niece said her friend admitted to using it for an essay or something and got like a 95% mark on it.
Isn't the same of using copy/paste from wikipedia?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It goes beyond it because the AI seemed smart enough to answer the question or whatever her friend asked.

Also, as crazy it seems these AI programs go beyond text. My bro said he was dabbling with it, and you can even ask AI to put its answer in powerpoint slides format.

I'm slacking, I keep saying to myself to sign up and login and test out an AI program for laughs. But havent. I'll get around to it. lol

Last edited:

PSYGN

The cat's already out of the bag unfortunately, so doing so will probably just hurt yourself. Tbh I wouldn't mind if the latest AI generators (DALLE, ChatGPT, etc.) didn't exist, or behaved more supplementary instead of flat out doing the work for you. But at the same time, if they did limit its output, I don't trust the corporations to limit themselves also, and would have an insanely huge advantage. As fascinating as AI is, at this point I wouldn't mind moving to an alternate timeline where DALLE and ChatGPT doesn't exist.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Far right loves to limit freedom, huh. ChatGPT is mild in contrast to AI models which produce sound, images, etc. That shit is terrifying. Chat GPT, what, why?

Banned
as if that will do anything lol

also does that mean they ban Bing as a whole? and all of Microsoft's services?

they know that ChatGPT is basically in all of Microsoft's programs now right? and in many other ones by other companies as well...

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
This is the reason why although I find European culture more agreeable than American, I will always invest my money in the States.
Unchecked capitalism generates more money faster. To the benefit of some select few...

On topic, I think its the right signal to send right now, there needs to be legislation in place in regards to where and for what AI tools can be used. ChatGPT4 may not be all that powerful in the grand scheme of things, given the rapid development that could change within a year of two.

Edit: This seems much more about data protection than anything else. Good move.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Thank God you two are here shitposting in a gaming forum instead of making life changing decisions for millions of people.

Yeah you’re much better off sticking your fingers in your ears yelling “LALALALA” and banning chatGPT instead of dealing with the situation at hand.

Last edited:

Zephyrus0

Banned

It doesn’t matter what it is. It promotes lazyness and worse, it promotes the loss of knowledge.
If this thing is allowed to exist unchecked, soon enough you'll have an entire world with idiots... well dumber than what we already have.
It's already bad enough we have machines doing trades for us.
People will ALWAYS pick the easy way out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It doesn’t matter what it is. It promotes lazyness and worse, it promotes the loss of knowledge.
If this thing is allowed to exist unchecked, soon enough you'll have an entire world with idiots... well dumber than what we already have.
No doubt.

No wonder school content seems so dumbed down. You got dumbass students not learning tried and true core math and writing skills by hand. Instead they probably google the answer as much as possible (at least for a good running start, which they can tweak as a final product). When my bro and I asked his kids what kind of stuff they were learning when they were in grade school, I swear we learned that stuff 1-2 years earlier then them.

So what happens is schools notice this and got to dumbed down the content over decades compared to when my bro and I did grade school.

It's not like human evolution changes on a whim and Mother Nature suddenly made human children inherently dumber by adjusting some genes and intelligence over a few decades. It seems like a self fulfilling cycle of stupidity. When you'd think over time, humans should be cycling being smarter and smarter. Not dumber and dumber.

Last edited:

sendit

It's a smarter search engine. Italy is limiting their work forces productivity by doing this in comparison to country's that do allow it.

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Computers getting smarter while humans getting dumber.

HoodWinked

there's this tendency to have decision paralysis because the calculus to decide on the best action is so complex, so there is just complete inaction, you have to be headstrong to actually go through with a ban like Italy so at least they're acting.

Outlier

I agree. Calculators made us "dumb" vs counting at the registers. This will make it easy for us but "dumb" at many other things since we don't have to think as hard.
A.I. is most useful when it's used to make haste of simple tasks, but it should never be trusted to tell us what is or isn't correct.

Raonak

Banned
The concerns about students "cheating" using is such a reverse way of thinking.

If anything these AI bots are gonna make learning so much easier. When every student in the class can get clarifications on any topic, any tiny little question. It's not like how currently shy students won't ask questions. And teachers have to use their time effectively and can't spent the whole class explaining.

It makes it so much easier on teachers. I'm the era of overpopulated classrooms with overstressed teachers, things like chat GPT is an absolute benefit.

I even know teachers who are using chat gpt to help them make PowerPoint slides for topics they haven't taught. And it's legitimately better than other teachers PowerPoints. It's less confusing and more comprehensive at the same time.

Pejo

Idiocracy looks more and more like a predictor of the future than a comedy movie at this point. I agree with you.

Quasicat

It’s really easy to catch the kids copying Wikipedia since they don’t know how to do it correctly. The less intelligent kids will take everything from the page, including the hyperlinked postscripts, and just copy it in. I’ve even had students that have included the picture and the sourced caption, all hyperlinked, in their essays. Even the ones that are smarter about it will write the essay and randomly drop a sentence or five from Wikipedia and it is very obvious with the change in the writing’s tone.
Maybe it’s because Wikipedia has been around for a long time, but it’s really easy to check that out.

Vestal

Gold Member
I think this is the sort of topic that needs public attention and discussion. I am personally of the mind that this is just an extension of what we already do through books, and computers. Its part of our evolution on how we access and process information.

Its human augmentation without the implant.... Yet? :messenger_sunglasses:

As a parent I want my kids to embrace the technology now, but responsibly. This is the future though. This is how we make the next great leap in human understanding.

FutureMD

Pointless crusade really, language models coming close to chatgpt performance are starting to be able to be run on consumer hardware. Are they gonna ban high VRAM gpus next?

Top Bottom