• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ChatGPT banned in italy

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Poor GymWolf GymWolf

Pour One Out Malt Liquor GIF

simpatico

I'm an electrical designer. Basically a customer tells me what kind of panel or machine they want, give me a list of IO and motors and I draw the circuit. Sometimes there's a tricky configuration that I have to think through. I started asking ChatGPT for advice and holy shit it saves me hours if not days. I can rarely use exactly what it outputs, but after a little cleaning up it's good to go. So useful I did the monthly subscription for better access.

Sleepwalker

I use it a lot, perfect it ain't. But it's damn convenient. No doubt I would have used it in school/university for sure

Fools idol

Banned
I wish this would be banned here, not for the privacy issues, but because I’ve already had students using to write their essays in class. I caught two of them because the writing style was very different from what they have done in the past. The problem is, I’ve had several students tell me that it’s a huge problem and the students I’ve caught are just a drop in the bucket compared to the total number.

It can never be stopped. I warned about this in my first post on the main thread, the consequences will be dangerous. We are about to have a generation of fake qualifications that are nearly undetectable, unqualified people getting paid for jobs they litterally winged.

Raonak

Banned
It can never be stopped. I warned about this in my first post on the main thread, the consequences will be dangerous. We are about to have a generation of fake qualifications that are nearly undetectable, unqualified people getting paid for jobs they litterally winged.

On the flip side, it's gonna allow people to learn any topic way easier. These AI tools are a legitimately great learning tool. They allow infinite levels of clarifications in a way human tutors and static teaching materials don't allow.

The whole idea of what it means to be good at something is gonna change. It's not gonna be about memorizing how to do a specific thing, but rather how to break down a problem to it's component parts that you can ask an AI about. And then reapplying back into what you're doing.

It's the same as people getting spooked when calculators or the internet came out.

We're gonna enter the era of being empowered to be good at literally anything. And empowering people who are already good at something to be amazing at said thing.

Last edited:

nikolino840

ChatGpt is back reachable from Italy. The decision of OpenAI, the company that created and manages the now famous chatbot based on artificial intelligence, follows the agreement with the Privacy Guarantor. In a note OpenAI declares to have "addressed or clarified" the issues related to ChatGpt raised by the authority for the protection of personal data, issues that had led to the precautionary block decided by OpenAI itself.
«Welcome back, Italy!" reads trying to access ChatGpt from an Italian IP address. "We are happy to restore ChatGpt's offer in Italy. To continue on ChatGpt please confirm that you are over 18 or over 13 and have consent from your parents or guardian. Then you are redirected to a link on privacy policies, with specifics on how user data is collected and used.

unless they exercise the right of opposition, on the basis of legitimate interest;
● has implemented for users in recent days a module that allows all European users to exercise the right to object to the processing of their personal data and thus be able to exclude conversations and their history from the training of their algorithms;
● has inserted in the welcome screen reserved for Italian users already registered for the service a button through which, to re-access the service, they must declare that they are of age or over thirteen and, in this case, to have parental consent;
● has inserted in the registration mask to the service the request for the date of birth providing for a block to registration for users under thirteen years and providing, in the hypothesis of users over thirteen but minors who must confirm that they have parental consent to use the service.

What's happening now​

The statement of the Guarantor also reads: "The Authority expresses satisfaction with the measures taken and hopes that OpenAI, in the coming weeks, will comply with the further requests given to it with the same provision of April 11 with particular reference to the implementation of an age verification system and the planning and implementation of a communication campaign aimed at informing all Italians of what happened and the possibility to object to the use of their personal data for the purpose of algorithm training.
The Authority acknowledges the progress made to combine technological progress with respect for people's rights and hopes that the company will continue along this path of adaptation to European data protection legislation. The Authority will therefore continue the preliminary activity started against OpenAI and in the work that will carry out the special task force set up within the Committee that brings together the Privacy Authorities of the European Union".

Top Bottom