• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CheapAssGamer - Less than 1% of PS5 Pre-Order are Digital Edition

N30RYU

Gold Member
here there are all sold out digital or not... so must be the stock they had...

I preordered my digital edition alongside all the extras minus the remote controller

Last edited:
Is this Cheap Ass Gamer?

If so, makes sense.

Why would you ever buy digital and submit yourself to the whims of the publishers and digital platform holders for sales.

It's cheaper to get the disc versions.

You hit the nail on the head. His data is 100% correct but the group he collected data from would favor physical copies. I will be curious to see the numbers directly from Sony though

MrFunSocks

Banned
Where do cheapassgamer get their figures? I'm gonna guess they're the VGChartz style numbers.

This is basically no actual numbers with no actual facts to back them up. Nothingsauce.

PS5 game prices here in Australia look to be being price controlled - shops that usually sell games for $30 less than RRP are all listing them at exact RRP of $124.99. Makes it easier to buy the digital version actually, since you're paying the same as physical.

I'll never go digital on console. I'm not buying a system where I only have one storefront to buy my games. There's no competition and I'm gonna be paying out the ass. People that are digital on PC or physical on console know the benefits of having multiple storefronts to buy your games from.

quest

Not Banned from OT
So does that mean they're easily available for preorder?
It means that Sony was not willing to lose 150-200 a console in huge volume unlike what I was told. They make it right back stock holders don't mean shit ect. This model exists for now to advertise a low price. Eventually to push a DRM future.

Joey.

I think it’s a stock issue. Which is surprising.
Because, I would’ve expected that $399 Digital Edition to sell like hot cakes.

However; $499 is an enticing price point too so I can see people just biting the bullet and moving up.

N30RYU

Gold Member
I'll never go digital on console. I'm not buying a system where I only have one storefront to buy my games. There's no competition and I'm gonna be paying out the ass. People that are digital on PC or physical on console know the benefits of having multiple storefronts to buy your games from.
look it that way... since there are digital only consoles, collector and special editions now on will come with voucher codes instead of physical games... so digital code reselling will be a thing

Last edited:

LordCBH

My local store was allotted like 2 digital units. It’s not due to lack of interest, just lack of availability.

GloveSlap

I've heard off hand remarks about Sony not making many digital units. They might be losing more on it like the 20gig PS3 and are using it more for marketing at the moment.

This is just release numbers, If you really want one you will be able to pick one up later.

Disk version for me, I want the option of buying games on digital sales or through actual stores on sale.

And I need to get me some of them planet earth 4k disks.

kiphalfton

Gold Member
Where do cheapassgamer get their figures? I'm gonna guess they're the VGChartz style numbers.

This is basically no actual numbers with no actual facts to back them up. Nothingsauce.

PS5 game prices here in Australia look to be being price controlled - shops that usually sell games for $30 less than RRP are all listing them at exact RRP of $124.99. Makes it easier to buy the digital version actually, since you're paying the same as physical.

Probably referral links. Seems like I've had issues linking a store webpage on their website, and the link getting broken if I don't put it in code brackets, as it gets muddied up with some extra crap.

Edit:
Appears that way, since there's several retailers listed on their front page and the link that redirects you is different than if you just navigate to the webpage manually.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's not gonna do anything. Digital on PC and physical on console still has way more options.
You make it sound like digital on PC is really a choice. And like physical on console isn't nearing the end. It's not an act of kindness that the least expensive versions of the new consoles are digital only. This is probably the last time we get consoles that accept discs. Especially since the disc version is universally the worst version of any console game. Even with discs we're already digital on console. You can't get updates or DLC without sacrificing any control you think you have with physical.

[Sigma]

Often enough, physical see price drops/sales quicker than digital do on consoles. Digital be lagging in this department in comparison it seems. Also a lot of times you can get day one deals for physical thru subscriptions from different places.

I will be going digital this gen but at least the disc PS5 gives you an option when you really want to play a game but don't feel like spending 70 plus tax on it especially when it has no multiplayer with a single player that will be over in 4-6 hours
Then you can sell it and buy the digital version when it's cheaper later or never again if you feel you will never touch the single player again

LOLCats

Banned
Is this Cheap Ass Gamer?

If so, makes sense.

Why would you ever buy digital and submit yourself to the whims of the publishers and digital platform holders for sales.

It's cheaper to get the disc versions.
thats right. CAGs love discs, so this makes sense.

Makes no sense. Both versions are sold out. Are they suggesting Sony made 99% of their consoles the physical version? Calling BS.

if its his referral stats it would make sense. true CAGs dont lock themselves into digital.

Cant watch my Alice in Chains Unplugged DVD on the digital edition, so the extra $150 AU was worth it.

could totally be taken as sarcasm, but i know its not. i expect game consoles are a lot of peoples only disc media players.

Last edited:

White-fire

I think some people in this thread a taking a good critical eye to the numbers. You cannot preorder a Playstation 5 right now, all of the stock is sold out. That means all of the current inventory that Sony supplied to retailers is gone. Online polls have consistently shown about a 30/70 split in interest of intent to buy the digital version versus the disk version. There are millions upon millions of people who would like to purchase a digital PS5 over one with a disk drive.

Which is more likely? Some hidden unsold preorder stock stashed somewhere unsold for one of the most in demand consumer products in the world? Or, these numbers are most likely wrong/retailers do not have many digital PS5's in stock to accept preorders for in the first place. I think its the former.

Valonquar

I bought a disc drive version of the system, but will likely still mostly purchase digital copies of games. Just like having the option availible in case I end up buying an attractive collector's edition, or want to play my movie discs I almost never use now that I have Plex.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Incredibly misleading.

*<1% of cheapassgamer.com users and even then it is not clear where the data is coming from.

Based on most anecdotal stock reports from GameStop retail stores it looks like their stock was around 15-20% digital. Mind you this is GameStop who has an interest in keeping discs around, in fact all retail would rather sell the $499 console because digital doesn't exactly bode well for their future. I've also seen people complain that the disc console sold out faster in some cases. Who knows what the actual proportion of digital to disc is but to say it is <1% is disingenuous. The source of this "data" is also a person who owns a website focused on retail sales and deals; he has an interest in discs staying around as well.

I would expect most early adopters to be interested in physical. The diehard fans like to collect, trade, etc. Sony forecasted and took this into account. I would have expected a 2:1 or 3:1 disc:digital ratio but it could be as high as 4:1 if all we have are GameStop #s to go on. We should get more clarity after the new year.

That said, the digital is absolutely the console that Sony wants people to buy. $100 lower price, PS+ collection to give people an "instant" digital library, Astro Bot pack in title presumably digital, $70 games giving SNE an extra $3 per digital sale, stopping digital code retail sales, and PS Now. The digital console will help drive revenue growth. It is all about digital revenue per unit-that's where the money is.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Incredibly misleading.

*<1% of cheapassgamer.com users and even then it is not clear where the data is coming from.

Based on most anecdotal stock reports from GameStop retail stores it looks like their stock was around 15-20% digital. Mind you this is GameStop who has an interest in keeping discs around, in fact all retail would rather sell the $499 console because digital doesn't exactly bode well for their future. I've also seen people complain that the disc console sold out faster in some cases. Who knows what the actual proportion of digital to disc is but to say it is <1% is disingenuous. The source of this "data" is also a person who owns a website focused on retail sales and deals; he has an interest in discs staying around as well.

I would expect most early adopters to be interested in physical. The diehard fans like to collect, trade, etc. Sony forecasted and took this into account. I would have expected a 2:1 or 3:1 disc:digital ratio but it could be as high as 4:1 if all we have are GameStop #s to go on. We should get more clarity after the new year.

That said, the digital is absolutely the console that Sony wants people to buy. $100 lower price, PS+ collection to give people an "instant" digital library, Astro Bot pack in title presumably digital, $70 games giving SNE an extra $3 per digital sale, and PS Now. The digital console will help drive revenue growth. It is all about digital revenue per unit-that's where the money is.
They are limiting losses right now lol. Digital is not this instant money maker that 80 dollars is a lot to make up. If they wanted digital they would short disc versions not the other way around.

You make it sound like digital on PC is really a choice. And like physical on console isn't nearing the end. It's not an act of kindness that the least expensive versions of the new consoles are digital only. This is probably the last time we get consoles that accept discs. Especially since the disc version is universally the worst version of any console game. Even with discs we're already digital on console. You can't get updates or DLC without sacrificing any control you think you have with physical.
I never said it was a choice, I'm pointing out that it has multiple storefronts to buy your games. Digital on console has way less options than any other method of buying games.

I have over 200 games on PS4 and like 90% of them are perfectly fine offline with no patches. I'd much rather have that than nothing at all.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Gold Member
I would never waste space and time messing with disc's to save a few bucks trading them into gamestop. Plus I game share.

You are stuck with the game forever. How is that for you?

Most games have zero replayability any more, and all its going to do is sit on the shelf once you're done, literally of figuratively.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If this is actually true, then Sony has pulled the biggest scam of all time. Check out our super low price of $399, have 300 available. Sorry, sold out ahd by the way we have 2,000,000 of the disk version.

Seems more likely though, based on polls and anecdotal evidence there are as many if not more people who want the digital than the physical version.

Top Bottom